• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

First of all there is no game that looks better than this. The art design is out of this world and there is not an inch of the world that is not meticulously crafted. I took 1400+ screenshots so far and I am only in chapter 13.

Only game that might have visuals on par with this would be The Order 1886. But the subject matter there is less interesting IMO.

ive played to chapter 11 now and in my view the game is a "looking at nice graphics" simulator, with nearly every other aspect of the game being dire. Shallow gameplay, boring story, uninteresting characters.

I am going to make good on my commitment to at least finish chapter 12 and then I'm free (unless it suddenly gets good, I guess)

Chapters 8-11 were great imo, chapter 12 is padding galore and it'll probably be your least favorite yet lol.

Naughty Dog attempted (and id say it kinda works) to subtly create concepts in your head in regards to enemies you'll likely have to kill. Concepts that maybe already having you kill these people in your mind. To lesser them in your mind they're refered to as goons, and the most prominent title; Shoreline. When you reduce your enemies to what sounds like a business name it kinda throws them away in your mind as people. Maybe I'm just really blazed who knows but I like their efforts to ease the feeling of being a terminator.
Which mitigates the mass-murder thing effectively, I think. It may not please everyone who views Nathan as an unchecked killer, but it works for me.

Schryver

Only game that might have visuals on par with this would be The Order 1886. But the subject matter there is less interesting IMO.
Yeah I would say The Order looks really close if not just as good but that game has a lower resolution and a more limited scope when it comes to level design. Not to mention it's about 1/3rd of the length lol. Uncharted is way more impressive

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Was gonna settle on just DOOM for the weekend, but given I was out and about today I figured I'd grab this, so I can toss between those two over the next week.

I'm up to chapter eight, Drake having just arrived in
Scotland
. So far it's good, not great. Chapter seven was a chore by the end and highlighted everything I dislike about some of Naughty Dog's game design; dull, smoke-and-mirrors game design weakly hidden behind an emphasis on presentation. Every Uncharted game has chapters like this, The Last of Us too, where by the end I just quit because I'm bored.

Otherwise the script has been nice, the shooting feels significantly nicer than the last three iterations, and it's unsurprisingly utterly gorgeous. Some of the early dialogue scenarios are just wonderful and very authentic. Hopefully it picks up a bit in the level/game design.

hbkdx12

I almost want to make a new thread about this but i wont

For all those who beat it, does anyone feel that storywise, that if you went from UC2 straight into UC4 that you wouldn't be missing anything from UC3?

In otherwise, i feel like UC4 is the game that UC3 aspired to be but never got there convincingly and that if you completely eliminated UC3 that you'd still have a completely solid and cohesive trilogy.

[Spoilers for UC3 and UC4]

One of the major themes of UC3 is that Drake is extremely fool hearty and threatens the lives of those he's claims to care about for virtually no reason and never really knows what's at stake. Uc3 wants you to believe that by time the game finishes that Drake has matured and that he has nothing to prove and that he realizes all his exploits are for naught all thanks to a late game hallucination. IMO his character progression never felt convincing and it was one of the major issues i had with UC3

However, UC4 tap dances on the same exact themes except unlike UC3 they're extremely well executed. We see how drake has matured and is dealing with his new life. We see him struggle with still having the itch to treasure hunt but also appreciating the new life he's built with Elena and not wanting to jeopardize it. There are multiple points where, as danger ensues, Drake tries to convince Sam to give up on the treasure and figure out alternatives to his problem.

When Drake is trying to regain his trust and relationship with Elena in the jungle, you can see the effects of Nate's actions on both Elena and Drake and how he has to account for and deal with the consequences of those actions. This type of conversation/resonance should have been conveyed in UC3 considering they were separated for similar reasons but never was. She gives him shit about his decisions but then blindly follows him and claims she's doing it for Sully's sake *jenniferlawrenceyeahok.gif*

Near the end, as Team Drake narrowly escape what otherwise would be certain death, Sam insists they continue to pursue the treasure because it's "right there" and Drake backs up Elena in saying that it's not worth it and they should just go home while they still can. Even beyond that, when he goes to stop Sam, Drake quips about how stupid, selfish and reckless Sam is with the irony being that that's how Drake has always been throughout the series.

Point is UC4 does a very convincing job of showing us that although drake misses the life, he has the proper reasons and motivations to want to leave the past in the past for the sake of his future with Elena . Something UC3 wanted you to believe happened but didn't really feel like it did.

Am I the only 1 that thinks this game's bloom is wayyyy overdone and bright? It really gets in the way of the beauty of the game, even tried adjusting my TV picture settings but its just how ND wanted the game to be I guess.
Still the most beautiful game Ive ever played (havent played The Order though) but a lot of times the character's faces and a lot of the environments are so bloomy/bright yeh? kinda distracting really

I also feel the game beginning is so slow, too much walking and sight seeing, no intensity really. I know theres a lot more coming my way - but I feel theyve taken too long to get it rolling as opposed to the previous games. I'm at the graveyard level right now btw

Personally, I think there's one missed opportunity for Uncharted 4, in light of something Rafe mentioned towards the end of the game.

During the
final boss fight with Rafe, he talks about how Nate is famed for his exploits in Uncharted 1,2, & 3, presumably in the world of fortune hunters, and that he's seen as a legend amongst peers or the seedy underbelly of the illegal.

It'd be cliche as hell, but I thought after that scene that it would had been cool if during the first-half of the game, we got a
Sam and Nate enters some sort of seedy secret bar that is only frequented by fellow people of the same kind to procure some stuff for his adventure, and Nate is recognised and celebrated as a celebrity there, riling him up with excitement and euphoria that he never gets out of his normal life.

SaganIsGOAT

Personally, I think there's one missed opportunity for Uncharted 4, in light of something Rafe mentioned towards the end of the game.

During the
final boss fight with Rafe, he talks about how Nate is famed for his exploits in Uncharted 1,2, & 3, presumably in the world of fortune hunters, and that he's seen as a legend amongst peers or the seedy underbelly of the illegal.

It'd be cliche as hell, but I thought after that scene that it would had been cool if during the first-half of the game, we got a
Sam and Nate enters some sort of seedy secret bar that is only frequented by fellow people of the same kind to procure some stuff for his adventure, and Nate is recognised and celebrated as a celebrity there, riling him up with excitement and euphoria that he never gets out of his normal life.

Sometimes less is more when it comes to story telling

Zocano

Something UC3 wanted you to believe happened but didn't really feel like it did.

Everytime I think of UC3 I just get sad they didn't let Amy have enough time with it and then she left UC4 and I get even sadder ):

edit: And I still really really really really like UC3

ive played to chapter 11 now and in my view the game is a "looking at nice graphics" simulator, with nearly every other aspect of the game being dire. Shallow gameplay, boring story, uninteresting characters.

I am going to make good on my commitment to at least finish chapter 12 and then I'm free (unless it suddenly gets good, I guess)

I disagree with everything you said, but just stop playing man it won't get any better for you.

LiK

That's okay, you can quit now and go play something else.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished this. Loved it. Far and away the best of the series, and the story really surprised me. Good stuff. I played it on Hard, and I may play again on a harder difficulty, though the stealth focus may mean many of the encounters will play out similarly, so I might not bother.

OK so I've been a bit negative on this game, but if there's anything that could cheer me up it's BULLET TIME TROLLING. This is the best bonus unlock they've ever done. Almost makes up for not being able to play with the alternate character skins.

GIFb4373.gif

GIF43e90f.gif

asdasd57e83.gif

Except now I'm REALLY disappointed that there aren't more encounters.

hbkdx12

Everytime I think of UC3 I just get sad they didn't let Amy have enough time with it and then she left UC4 and I get even sadder ):

edit: And I still really really really really like UC3

You don't feel like it outdoes UC3 on everything that UC3 tried to do in regards to the story?

I haven't read the thread at all so I don't know if this has already been said plenty of times.

I am now in chapter
, which feels like near the end. And I am just not enjoying the game that much.. The big issue throughout the game to me is that you can explore big areas.. but you can not actually find anything except collectibles. And if you don't like finding collectibles (like I don't) then the exploration is pointless. And if the exploration is pointless all that is left is getting from point A to point B. Now, if there were multiple paths to take and ways to progress, it could still work. But since there are not, all you are doing is searching for the one thing you can interact with or the one path that is navigable.

And they have clearly spent a lot of effort in improving the story, areas, visuals, animations, attention to detail.. but not the combat. Its pretty much the same, which is not a good thing. TLOU improved the UC combat immensely, especially the gun-play. And most of the time in UC4 you are not even given interesting weapons to fight enemies with!

I'd say the only thing that interests me right now is the story, but even that is just good, not great. The game is gorgeous and insanely impressive in many ares, but just not that fun to actually play, which is a big shame.

Have people in the thread expressed similar complaints or opinions to mine?

silva1991

Man, the combat is way more at explorer mode :p

shooting the enemy and then finishing him with a punch/kick with a special animation is so satisfying.

Just finished it. Wow. What a game. Wrapped up very nicely too. Amazed at how much I just stopped and stared throughout my playthrough. Ready to dive in again.

Nev

Banned
The combat absolutely has been improved. Like wth. I understand other complaints but the only game I think has better third person combat is inFamous, that's how good this is.

LiK

I haven't read the thread at all so I don't know if this has already been said plenty of times.

I am now in chapter
, which feels like near the end. And I am just not enjoying the game that much.. The big issue throughout the game to me is that you can explore big areas.. but you can not actually find anything except collectibles. And if you don't like finding collectibles (like I don't) then the exploration is pointless. And if the exploration is pointless all that is left is getting from point A to point B. Now, if there were multiple paths to take and ways to progress, it could still work. But since there are not, all you are doing is searching for the one thing you can interact with or the one path that is navigable.

And they have clearly spent a lot of effort in improving the story, areas, visuals, animations, attention to detail.. but not the combat. Its pretty much the same, which is not a good thing. TLOU improved the UC combat immensely, especially the gun-play. And most of the time in UC4 you are not even given interesting weapons to fight enemies with!

I'd say the only thing that interests me right now is the story, but even that is just good, not great. The game is gorgeous and insanely impressive in many ares, but just not that fun to actually play, which is a big shame.

Have people in the thread expressed similar complaints or opinions to mine?

UC4 has never changed the weapon selection much since the first game except for a handful that are specific to that installment. There's a pretty wide selection so I'm not sure what other types of weapons you want.

You can explore for journals, notes and optional conversations which is new. The notes add a lot to the lore. The old games only had treasure as the sole reason to explore. The game is much more open in some areas and I found it pretty refreshing since the old games were purely linear with backtracking. I like the improved stealth elements as well.

The combat absolutely has been improved. Like wth. I understand other complaints but the only game I think has better third person combat is inFamous, that's how good this is.

Maybe it is because I am playing on hard, (and thus I have to play conservatively to not die) but beyond adding stealth kills and rope kills, how has the combat improved?

You can explore for journals, notes and optional conversations which is new. The notes add a lot to the lore. The old games only had treasure as the sole reason to explore. The game is much more open in some areas and I found it pretty refreshing since the old games were purely linear with backtracking.

I am aware that sometimes you get some conversation as well, but this seemed to happen very rarely? Unless I missed a lot of optional areas, most of the times you just found treasure. By the way, I loved the exploration in TLOU, where you found upgrade materials, weapon ammo, health and crafting material, information about the world, conversations (more frequently than in UC4) and so forth. I am confident in claiming that the ratio of "meaningful discovery" (aka not collectibles in an optional area) is heavily in the favor of TLOU.

To me the big areas with no combat did not have enough to find to justify their major presence in the game. Everyone is of course free to disagree.

Maybe it is because I am playing on hard, (and thus I have to play conservatively to not die) but beyond adding stealth kills and rope kills, how has the combat improved?
But this has been present since UC1.

Overall the combat is way more tactile. You can go all stealth but still remain aggressive in doing so. Enemies don't magnet on you if you change positions. Certain encounters seem to be entirely skipped (
I.e getting to the jeep
). It's more dynamic and the controls are tighter with the gunplay. Its definitely a significant improvement.

Jobbs

Banned
I've been absolutely shocked at how much I hate this game given how much I loved the prior titles. After the beta I knew the multiplayer was a letdown, but I was expecting to love the single player but I just don't. I find I'm watching more than playing.

For the record I disliked every UC game, but I loved TLOU and bought UC4 on the strength of that game -- hoping they had learned something.

I can put up with little or no gameplay if I care about the characters or find the story interesting. I can also put up with a bad story if the gameplay is engaging and satisfying. The problem is that UC4 is barely interactive, but also doesn't give me anything to care about.

I don't feel engaged by the story at all. At this point in the game I'm basically going to go lie, steal, cheat, and kill to get a treasure while cracking jokes and laughing along the way. I don't relate to that. I don't understand in what universe this makes sense.

I am fine with a high body count, but in a game that prizes its lifelike characters, it is downright immersion shattering that they don't react to this in any way. It doesn't even slightly damage the levity. I know people have a long history of pointing this out about UC, but there's a reason for it. It's bizarre. The game feels off.

I was frankly feeling my connection to the game severed necessarily nearly from the very beginning.
Kid Sam leads Kid Nathan through a serious of truly death defying stunts just to show him a bike. It makes no sense. I can't take this schlock seriously, even though it asks to be take
n seriously.

A story whose believability is being strained at every turn could be overlooked if I was rooting for the characters or cared about them at all, but
Nathan is a wholly unlikable douche, a lying fuckboy who gleefully lies to his wife to go o a murderous lying cheating rampage.

ALL of it could still be forgiven if the gameplay was fun, but it's not. Every climby part at the outset fills me with dread at the sheer tedium involved with playing the "spot the next notch on the wall they want me to suck into". It's not meaningful. My jumps are guided and the camera directs me yet further. My existence is an annoyance to this game.

For as engaging and detailed as the combat was in TLOU -- they've taken almost none of that to UC4. In TLOU I coud gather igredients, craft things, and upgrade my arsenal. The combat felt tense and engaging wtih meaningful choices to be made aout how to approach enemies or whether to appraoch them at all.

I don't understand how designers who succeeded so spectacularly with their formula in TLOU could fail so miserably in their very next game, I see a lot of peopel in the thread love the game. I dont know what that says about things but I worry if it means UC4 is contributing to the death of the art form.

LiK

Shooting for one feels like it packs a punch IMO the guns in previous games felt so dry and floaty.

They actually fixed the guns in the trilogy remaster. Felt better and enemies actually died after a few hits except for the armored guys and those blue dudes in UC2.

For the record I disliked every UC game

I see a lot of peopel in the thread love the game. I dont know what that says about things but I worry if it means UC4 is contributing to the death of the art form.

So you're playing UC4 which is said to be what wraps up the series to which you always disliked. I mean how are you going to even enjoy it when you don't care about the characters obviously when it's one of, if not the big hooks of this game? Also, death of the art form? Really? Man, I'll give you a better solution just stop playing because it ain't going to get better if you don't care about the characters, trust me. You'll thank me later.

Nev

Banned

For starters, every combat scenario is a masterfully designed open arena that lets you approach every encounter the way you want, that alone makes it the best of the 4 to me. Then you have the much improved trasversal mechanics and the vastly improved stealth with the addition of long grass and more importantly, the ability to dissapear and get in and out of stealth mode, which just wasn't possible in previous games.

But this has been present since UC1.

No. Only in Uncharted 2 proper stealth was introduced, and even so, it was just useful in encounters which were clearly designed for you to take out a few guys before going all out and never being able to re-enter stealth mode again. It is infinitely more viable and well executed in U4.

Grudy

My main issue with the characters is that Nate and Sam are just too similar. They have a lot of similar personality traits which I don't think play together very well; and with the amount of time the two spend together, I got really bored of them quite quick.

For the record I disliked every UC game, but I loved TLOU and bought UC4 on the strength of that game -- hoping they had learned something.

I can put up with little or no gameplay if I care about the characters or find the story interesting. I can also put up with a bad story if the gameplay is engaging and satisfying. The problem is that UC4 is barely interactive, but also doesn't give me anything to care about.

I don't feel engaged by the story at all. At this point in the game I'm basically going to go lie, steal, cheat, and kill to get a treasure while cracking jokes and laughing along the way. I don't relate to that. I don't understand in what universe this makes sense.

I am fine with a high body count, but in a game that prizes its lifelike characters, it is downright immersion shattering that they don't react to this in any way. It doesn't even slightly damage the levity. I know people have a long history of pointing this out about UC, but there's a reason for it. It's bizarre. The game feels off.

I was frankly feeling my connection to the game severed necessarily nearly from the very beginning.
Kid Sam leads Kid Nathan through a serious of truly death defying stunts just to show him a bike. It makes no sense. I can't take this schlock seriously, even though it asks to be take
n seriously.

A story whose believability is being strained at every turn could be overlooked if I was rooting for the characters or cared about them at all, but
Nathan is a wholly unlikable douche, a lying fuckboy who gleefully lies to his wife to go o a murderous lying cheating rampage.

ALL of it could still be forgiven if the gameplay was fun, but it's not. Every climby part at the outset fills me with dread at the sheer tedium involved with playing the "spot the next notch on the wall they want me to suck into". It's not meaningful. My jumps are guided and the camera directs me yet further. My existence is an annoyance to this game.

For as engaging and detailed as the combat was in TLOU -- they've taken almost none of that to UC4. In TLOU I coud gather igredients, craft things, and upgrade my arsenal. The combat felt tense and engaging wtih meaningful choices to be made aout how to approach enemies or whether to appraoch them at all.

I don't understand how designers who succeeded so spectacularly with their formula in TLOU could fail so miserably in their very next game, I see a lot of peopel in the thread love the game. I dont know what that says about things but I worry if it means UC4 is contributing to the death of the art form.
The devs didn't fail at all. The uncharted games just aren't for you

Jobbs

Banned
So you're playing UC4 which is said to be what wraps up the series to which you always disliked. I mean how are you going to even enjoy it when you don't care about the characters obviously when it's one of if not the big hooks of this game? Also, death of the art form? Really? Man, I'll give you a better solution just stop playing because it ain't going to get better if you don't care about the characters, trust me. You'll thank me later.

I tortured myself-- dragging myself to the finish line of the utter dumpster fire that is bioshock infinite just so I could be fully educated on such a high profile title. I'll probably do the same here.

Lingitiz

This is such an arrogant and ridiculous thing to say. Just because you don't like the game and a lot of people do doesn't mean everyone is a simple minded idiot.

If you don't agree with the majority that's fine. You don't have to like it. Don't insult everyone else that does and hold yourself way higher.

idonteven

n seriously.

why the fuck would you want crafting in a uncharted game

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm on a similar page to Jobbs (sans the "death of the art form" lolwat dude), though less extreme (though I do agree with that portrayal of Drake, which had me laughing out loud at the end of chapter seven when I realised what the situation entailed and what a fucking turd of a human he is). I am still enjoying the game, but given I come from a stance of every Naughty Dog game having pacing issues, this to me is no different. Especially since I feel Uncharted as a series can be incredibly weak at times.

That being said I do feel the combat is much improved, even if it's not great (doesn't help I'm coming off DOOM, which has actually great combat). Hit detection and weapon feedback is very satisfying to me. I still think Uncharted stealth sequence are hot fucking shit and I loathe them. I like the climbing more this time around. It's still paint-by-numbers stuff, but thanks to the added geometry and denser stage pretension I feel the illusion of freedom is more convincing. And there have been good stretches of game, obviously very scripted, cinematic, yadda yadda, that I do feel have been well paced and enjoyable.

Stuff like the (chapter seven)
Nadine fist fight has me rolling my eyes, because despite looking good it's just overscripted pretend-you're-playing junk
, but then there's the Elena x Drake dialogue and animation work which is just so lovely.

My plan is to hit up some more DOOM, eat nachos, then get back into it to pick up chapter eight since apparently it gets a little bit more interesting.

LiK

n seriously.

Maybe you should finish the game first cuz ND addresses all your concerns in the story. This game exists to address that. If you didn't enjoy any of the previous games' characters/story then I'm not sure why UC4 would change your mind. The game is a continuation of Drake's arc and closes the book on the franchise so they're not gonna make big huge sweeping changes from the previous games. Comparing the game directly to TLoU is unfair since one is a depressing/horror story and UC4 is supposed to be much lighter and an action adventure. As for crafting etc, that's subjective since I personally found it tedious and boring to constantly craft the same shit for some basic functions and weapons. I dont think it fits this game at all since it's not really about survival. If you're so miserable playing it then I suggest moving on. You don't seem to be enjoying it at all.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Post this in the wrong thread. lol

Finished the game. Dont read ahead if you haven’t beaten the game.

Last warning.

LOVED the last few chapters. TBH, i dont know if chapters with Elena at your side had more combat encounters and thats why i liked them but maybe it was because the story was picking up around the same time. you got to see how this pirate colony imploded from within and there were some fantastic scenes there towards the end. i was like wow when they entered the dining room. It’s storytelling at its best. you let the levels paint the picture instead of long exposition. show dont tell at its finest. something TLOU did very well in the sewers section. I dont know. i was much more interested in the story of Henry Avery and his pirate colony than Drake or Marco Polo or whatever they were chasing in U3. The payoff with the brother wasn’t great but i liked the twist. Nice shit just got real moment.

So the game ends on a high note, even if i hated the final fight at times. The ending works because of the epilogue. the graphics in this section are mind blowing. i have never seen anything like Drake’s beach house before. i thought The Order couldnt be topped this gen but my god this epilogue chews and spits out the order. unbelievable graphics, but more on that later.

I went back and looked at the chapter list and the game spends the first 5 chapters without any real combat or even puzzles. Just like that the game starts off the wrong way. then the next few chapters are like an hour long each and spend a good 40 minutes on auto platforming and some puzzles. then the game has this bad habit of cutting to LONG non combat chapters right after a big setpiece moment when your heart is pumping and you are ready for more. it worked in uncharted 2 because you had spent like 10 chapters of non stop action before the village section. but here, they cut after just one setpiece and one combat encounter. we already had 40 minutes of downtime before that. thankfully the final five chapters are mostly action and even a late walking only chapter is short and doesnt overstay its welcome.

the thing is that there is so much to like here. wide open areas. lots and lots of location variety. some of the best combat encounters the series has seen. some of the best gunplay the series has seen. but it’s all so poorly paced that i hated playing it up until chapter 15 or so. They had to make platforming interesting and challenging and they failed. how hard is to implement OG Tomb Raider style platforming where you have to time your jumps perfectly? or even add some timer to the platforming like the AC2 tombs puzzles. or just do what tomb raider does now. add just one extra button to grab on to some after a jump. just one extra press adds so much to the game.

i also had issues with how barren the world was. sure the desert had some collectibles to find but no real puzzles like in Rise of Tomb Raider. no reason to collect anything like in TLOU. They had a great chance to make Uncharted’s exploration rewarding by borrowing from TLOU’s book and they just couldnt figure out how to do it. I think Tomb Raider is more interesting to play because it gives everyone a lot of tools to play with during combat. bows and arrows, heavy weapons, weapon attachments, bombs, skills. ALL of these things were in TLOU and they could’ve made Uncharted a much better game. they are obviously too afraid of turning off the existing fanbase. i love how Kojima never gave a shit and always added radical changes to the game design in MGS.

I also had some minor issues with the combat scenarios. the enemies have amazing aim and because they can flank so easily i always found myself surrounded and while thats ok, that meant that i played every encounter in black and white. i also didnt experiment as much because of this. apparently you could swing from the chandeliers in one fight but i didnt notice because i was bogged down in one area and couldnt move. oh and there is no aim assist in this game which is a bad thing. console games need aim assist. these DS4 analog sticks are dog shit. so many times i would aim and shoot at their head and the recoil would literally draw a rainbow around their head.

lastly the graphics. i wasnt impressed with the game until i saw the ballroom at the auction house. i was like fuck. then the madasacgar scene blew me away. then the city and the car chase. but then the game shows its true super power and that is foliage. i have never seen a game just filled with foliage like this before. it is mind blowing. they keep it up for the next 10 chapters are so too. every level is drawn with such exquisite detail i want to just stare at it all day and cry because i didnt end up doing it thanks to how bored i was playing most of it. the furniture in the epilogue just killed me though. nothing will ever look this good again. nothing.

overall, i am happy with the way the game ended but i still think its very disappointing. the few setpieces that were there were great, but Uncharted 2’s train and tank setpieces, and uncharted 3’s plain and ship setpieces are still the best. it’s obvious that the delays and the firings hurt the game.regardless, i am happy now and not as depressed as i was yesterday which is an improvement i guess.

8/10 – Will go down as PS4’s best looking game.

kyser73

Just started Chapter 12.

OMFG how good is this rain? I mean the way the storm starts whipping up on the first island is amazing, but when you're the beach...truly next level stuff.

Loving the game as a whole too. IMO it all comes together in such a complete package.

silva1991

You didn't like the other games and thought magically you would like the forth game just because the same devs made another IP that you liked?

also UC games never had great narrative like TLOU so, UC4 having a much weaker narritive than TLOU is also expected

dude you are looking for TLOU2 not Uncharted 4.

saying a dev failed because they made the game closer to it's predecessors which you hated is plain ignorant.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm on a similar page to Jobbs (sans the "death of the art form" lolwat dude), though less extreme (though I do agree with that portrayal of Drake, which had me laughing out loud at the end of chapter seven when I realised what the situation entailed and what a fucking turd of a human he is). I am still enjoying the game, but given I come from a stance of every Naughty Dog game having pacing issues, this to me is no different. Especially since I feel Uncharted as a series can be incredibly weak at times.

That being said I do feel the combat is much improved, even if it's not great (doesn't help I'm coming off DOOM, which has actually great combat). Hit detection and weapon feedback is very satisfying to me. I still think Uncharted stealth sequence are hot fucking shit and I loathe them. I like the climbing more this time around. It's still paint-by-numbers stuff, but thanks to the added geometry and denser stage pretension I feel the illusion of freedom is more convincing. And there have been good stretches of game, obviously very scripted, cinematic, yadda yadda, that I do feel have been well paced and enjoyable.

Nadine fist fight has me rolling my eyes, because despite looking good it's just overscripted pretend-you're-playing junk
, but then there's the Elena x Drake dialogue and animation work which is just so lovely.

My plan is to hit up some more DOOM, eat nachos, then get back into it to pick up chapter eight since apparently it gets a little bit more interesting.

Death of the artform is the only kind of hyperbole that can give me any catharsis, but still, if this type of design thought and this tier of writing is so positively reiforced it logically means we'll get more like this and less of anything else in our top tier AAA space -- which is a relatively limited space.

Beat the game this morning.

Closing chapter had me misty-eyed in a good way. I enjoyed that immensely, and felt it was a fine payoff.

Unfortunately, I note a fine payoff because I personally encountered a sort of exhaustion of the actual act of playing the game during the final few chapters (chapter 18+) -- I was still invested a lot in the story, but to me it felt like the gameplay pacing was disrupting my enjoyment of the game a lot. It's pretty unusual that I find myself yearning for a game's story beats so much that I feel turned off to the actual act of playing the game, but that was definitely my last few hours with UC4, I'm sad to report.

Visuals and sound were rock solid throughout, really can't say I had any problems with presentation at any point during the whole experience.

I personally struggled with combat, but I went in first playthrough on Hard, having recently finished UC2 and UC3 fresh with the Nathan Drake collection and overestimating my ability to play. I toughed it out, but man I died a lot during the course of the game because I played really recklessly and stubbornly refused to get better or downgrade the difficulty. May have had a good hand in lending to my disinterest in the gameplay sections late game, and I acknowledge I'm at fault on that one.

Actually want to replay the game with some of the extras I unlocked in the bonus menu, and with a stepped down difficulty. Want to do my best to find as much treasure as I can without a guide -- I made a half-hearted attempt to find secrets but it was a backburner thought on this first playthrough. Missed some journal entries and optional conversations that I would really like to see, seeing as to how much I enjoyed the events of the game and its characters. I'd like combat to feel more like an afterthought this next time around.

Did the situation Nate was thrusted into completely go over your guys' heads? The alternative of
abandoning his prison-rotted brother to die
is much worse.

(sorry for those that might've caught my spoiler. Nothing major)

Death of the artform is the only kind of hyperbole that can give me any catharsis, but still, if this type of design thought and this tier of writing is so positively reiforced it logically means we'll get more like this and less of anything else in our top tier AAA space -- which is a relatively limited space.
You're bloody delusional

Top Bottom