• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

I tortured myself-- dragging myself to the finish line of the utter dumpster fire that is bioshock infinite just so I could be fully educated on such a high profile title. I'll probably do the same here.

Well, I guess you have to do what you have to do haha. I enjoyed the game immensely but then again I have always enjoyed the characters, especially their banters and UC4 took them in surprising directions, especially in the later chapters. I can't say you'd feel the same since you seem real hateful of the franchise, my thoughts on you being happy with this game is for it to have a chapter with Drake being in court.

I've never felt the feeling of Drake being a villain/asshole by "killing so many guys while laughing" when Indy and a bunch of other adventure treasure hunting type shit do the same. You get on the ride and have fun because if you were hungry for the thrill of adventure you'd want to get to the treasure first. Same with the others, they'll kill you because it's all a race to who gets there first. I mean I don't know what people expect with people going after X years old of shit worth millions of $$$.

The Uncharted series has always been about lighthearted action/adventure, it's only that the 4th game is more grounded which makes things much more interesting but it ain't suddenly TLOU now lol because these two are WHOLLY different games.

Shredderi

I keep wondering what kind of super crazy shit they could have done if they didn't decide to go for more grounded setpieces. The ones in UC2 and UC3 were really crazy and I was sure they'd make those looks small scale but I actually don't think any setpiece managed to top UC2 or UC3 in that regard.

Aspiring

Just got to chapter 8 and wow. So fucking good.

Love the story set up and ehere i think its going. You can see naughty dog learned a lot from the last of us.

LiK

Death of the artform is the only kind of hyperbole that can give me any catharsis, but still, if this type of design thought and this tier of writing is so positively reiforced it logically means we'll get more like this and less of anything else in our top tier AAA space -- which is a relatively limited space.

Oh yea, the art form is dead cuz you don't like this one game. Uh huh.

basefree

So, I completed this a few hours ago and generally agree with what people have been saying about it. Personally I was a bit disappointed with the puzzles... They were far too easy and nothing felt as grand or elaborate as they could have been. However, the story, acting and pacing I felt were great. And man, I think everyone unanimously agrees that it has the craziest graphics we've seen on a console to date.

Overall I loved it, and I'm really sad that there will be no more, but I wouldn't have it any other way either. Goodbye Nathan Drake.

I-hate-u

I keep wondering what kind of super crazy shit they could have done if they didn't decide to go for more grounded setpieces. The ones in UC2 and UC3 were really crazy and I was sure they'd make those looks small scale but I actually don't think any setpiece managed to top UC2 or UC3 in that regard.

There were a couple of good ones in U4, but I would rate them on the same level as the building collapse and truck jumping scenes in U2. Nothing in U4 ever comes close to the crazy levels of the train in U2 or the plane/ship in U3.

My guess is that those set-pieces were scrapped when Amy left and the TLoU guys game on board.

Jobbs

Banned
So, I completed this a few hours ago and generally agree with what people have been saying about it. Personally I was a bit disappointed with the puzzles... They were far too easy and nothing felt as grand or elaborate as they could have been. However, the story, acting and pacing I felt were great. And man, I think everyone unanimously agrees that it has the craziest graphics we've seen on a console to date.

Overall I loved it, and I'm really sad that there will be no more, but I wouldn't have it any other way either. Goodbye Nathan Drake.

Yes, I will agree that it is beautiful to look at. I can't agree with those who have said that it looks better than every PC game, but it looks very strong nonetheless.

It fills me with hope for how cool TLOU2 might be with this level of presentation -- I just hope they don't dumb it down and resist the temptaion to introduce any fo this shitty climbing stuff into that series.

Shredderi

There were a couple of good ones in U4, but I would rate them on the same level as the building collapse and truck jumping scenes in U2. Nothing in U4 ever comes close to the crazy levels of the train in U2 or the plane/ship in U3.

Agreed. It's the only thing I was a little disappointed by. I had these grand earth shattering happenings in my head when imagining UC4. I wanted to rope a meteor and ride that while shooting enemies chasing me with their space ships, only to crash into the lost city of atlantis and have that whole thing crash down on me.

Edit:
As far as the graphics go, it's the best I've seen in a long time, especially some indoor environments. There is one major detractor though and that is the vistas/backgrounds. The vistas seem very low on detail and low poly. It was pretty noticeable how bad they looked compared to everything else. Vistas are the one thing I've seen done better in other games this gen.

LiK

Agreed. It's the only thing I was a little disappointed by. I had these grand earth shattering happenings in my head when imagining UC4. I wanted to rope a meteor and ride that while shooting enemies chasing me with their space ships, only to crash into the lost city of atlantis and have that whole thing crash down on me.

LOL, I believe Drake is also imagining that in his attic.

I finished it a couple hours ago. It took a minute to capture my attention. The first 7 chapters were rough. IMO, they were pretty boring. But the other 15 made up for it big time. I enjoyed the story. I thought it was well written and acted. It was easy to follow and had nice twists. There are things I didn't like about the game, but they are outweighed by the positives. I think this is my favorite UC.

Wollan

OK so I've been a bit negative on this game, but if there's anything that could cheer me up it's BULLET TIME TROLLING. This is the best bonus unlock they've ever done. Almost makes up for not being able to play with the alternate character skins.

GIFb4373.gif

GIF43e90f.gif

asdasd57e83.gif

Except now I'm REALLY disappointed that there aren't more encounters.
Just gorgeous. Playing Crushed with bullet time on.

Beat it yesterday

Overall... it was good. Pacing was a huge issue, I don't know if they included all the walking and down time to mask loading, but what ever the reason this game was like 4 hours too long and by Chapter 18ish I was really hoping I was getting near the end.

Everything was good except the sound design and music, very bland and forgettable. Another thing is I played on medium but I had a hard time being able to traverse the environment in combat without getting my head blown off, sometimes I felt I was fighting the camera trying to combat + traverse, which is shocking to say in a AAA game.

Characters were good, story was interesting, but again it was simply too long and suffered greatly from pacing issues near the middle. I can think of at least three parts of the game where cutting it wouldn't detract much but save a lot of time in itself to keep the story going.

It's sad, because with TLoU I didn't want to reach the ending, with Uncharted 4 I couldn't wait for the ending to come.

Just finished it today. Absolutely incredible game. It's for sure the best in the series, with U2 is in a not so distant second. Loved the new rope mechanic, it definitely added to the puzzles and traversal. Is it me or were there less combat in this game as opposed to previous Uncharted games? Also, wasn't a big fan of the focus on stealth. Yes, I could just go into each encounter guns blazing, but it felt like you weren't doing it right that way. This game definitely had the weakest boss fight of the series maybe aside from Golden Abyss in my opinion. U2 had the best boss fight.

The game is absolutely gorgeous and I found myself just taking in the scenery many times throughout the game. And the attention to detail is second to none.

Bravo, Naughty Dog. Bravo.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Did the situation Nate was thrusted into completely go over your guys' heads? The alternative of
abandoning his prison-rotted brother to die
is much worse.

(sorry for those that might've caught my spoiler. Nothing major)

Obviously no the situation wasn't lost on me.

Shredderi

By the way, anyone else have problem with youtube for the last week or so with youtube often taking a lot of time before it starts the video at all?

Yeah set pieces were bit disappointing for sure

one of the finest Uncharted moments is this

ib1GZv2JgBsYPL.gif

also
no supernatural
stuff

Well I mean U4 still has it's crazy set pieces, just a bit more grounded this time. It's a shame they could not top the Train from U2 and the airplane in U3. Not that it was necessary since I didn't really feel like it was missing in U4.

J-Skee

Just finished the game. Just to get it out of the way,
super disappointed that there's no supernatural element to the pirate treasure. It's cool that it was actual treasure, but I was hoping for pirate zombies or something. Got close to some horror in that cave towards the end & I thought it was telegraphing something with the mummies that Avery put up, but ultimately nothing. Otherwise, I appreciate how intimate the final fight was. The Cassie reveals excellent. And I'm more convinced than ever that Crash is coming back. It might not Naughty Dog that makes it, but somebody will.

EDIT:
No Chloe either. I understand the decision though.

Donthizz#

in the credits did anyone notice the number of third party studios that helped make the game. never seen that amount of outsourcing done by a Sony owned studio before.

LiK

in the credits did anyone notice the number of third party studios that helped make the game. never seen that amount of outsourcing done by a Sony owned studio before.

Yea, much cheaper that way. Not unusual with the amount of art in this game.

Marvel

could never
OK so I've been a bit negative on this game, but if there's anything that could cheer me up it's BULLET TIME TROLLING. This is the best bonus unlock they've ever done. Almost makes up for not being able to play with the alternate character skins.

GIFb4373.gif

GIF43e90f.gif

asdasd57e83.gif

Except now I'm REALLY disappointed that there aren't more encounters.
Oh my lawd I gotta make some videos outta this feature.

Shredderi

Well I mean U4 still has it's crazy set pieces, just a bit more grounded this time. It's a shame they could not top the Train from U2 and the airplane in U3. Not that it was necessary since I didn't really feel like it was missing in U4.

But I wanted my "holy fucking fuck" moment >_>

Hystzen

Yeah set pieces were bit disappointing for sure

one of the finest Uncharted moments is this

ib1GZv2JgBsYPL.gif

also
no supernatural
stuff

Never understood the hype over the plane sequence its a blink and miss it event and nothing compared to the crazy train or helicopter chase in UC2. The burning Chateau in UC3 is only good set piece in that game

LiK

But I wanted my "holy fucking fuck" moment >_>

The holy fuck moment for me was from the extended demo
second half of that chase with the trucks
. I'm glad I didn't watch that cuz that whole sequence floored me. I can't believe they spoiled that themselves.

jkh33

I'm gonna go for the Plat as well. Looks much easier than the previous games. Way less grinding.

Yeah it was a lot easier than the previous Uncharted games. Also if you want to go down that route, using the bonus modifiers don't deactivate trophies.

I-hate-u

Never understood the hype over the plane sequence its a blink and miss it event and nothing compared to the crazy train or helicopter chase in UC2. The burning Chateau in UC3 is only good set piece in that game

I'll give you the plane, but the ship sequence was fantastic.

This right here. The plane level plays itself and is over in 5 minutes at most. Whenever it gets put on the same pedestal as UC2 train I'm confused.

Shredderi

None of the previous games setpieces comes close to the Madagascar escape in UC4 but you've probably been staring at videos of that since summer 2015.

I think they not only come close but surpass the Madagascar escape. It was cool even when I first saw the video but I was thinking that was gonna be on the lower scale of things and that's why they showed it before releasing the game, to tease us with "look how cool this thing is that we're showing you so now imagine what we have in store for you!". I guess my expectations were just too humongous :D

Marvel

could never
I thought the setpieces in 4 blew away 2 & 3's... I actually said "Holy shit" with this.

Not to say the past games ones were not exciting or fun, but I really do think 4 killed it with it's versions.

LiK

This right here. The plane level plays itself and is over in 5 minutes at most. Whenever it gets put on the same pedestal as UC2 train I'm confused.

I think people forget how short the plane was in UC3. I thought it was longer until I replayed it before playing UC4. You fight a generic brute, shoot some dudes and it's over with. The horse sequence was much better.

AllenShrz

Just finished..... wow, what a game that last chapter, right in the feels....

In a way I cant believe the amount of fantastic games being released in a very short period of time.

DS3, alienation, UT4, Doom and to close the month Witcher.

silva1991

All of the set pieces you mentioned are great too and better than the ones in UC4

the plane sequence for me was jaw doping and very memorable. when I think of the word Uncharted I straight away think about it.

Shin-chan

One other thing I was surprised they didn't do much of was the classic "cinematic" camera angles during big traversal moments to frame the locale or whatever. These still happen in U4 and to great effect, but I think they could have took much greater advantage of cinematography with how beautiful the game is.

On the cusp of beating the game and I think overall it's been awesome but loses out a bit due to some extended traversal sections and not enough gun fights (or at least, these are spread too thinly across the game). I'd say it's a much better game mechanically than Uncharted 2 and it's the best story the series has had, both for the characters and the treasure, but I'm not sure it will be as replayable as that game.

Here's hoping they add horde mode or something later on. I want to endlessly run around these environments shooting baddies with the amazing mechanics (bonus points if the modifiers work in it).

LiK

One other thing I was surprised they didn't do much of was the classic "cinematic" camera angles during big traversal moments to frame the locale or whatever. These still happen in U4 and to great effect, but I think they could have took much greater advantage of cinematography with how beautiful the game is.

On the cusp of beating the game and I think overall it's been awesome but loses out a bit due to some extended traversal sections and not enough gun fights (or at least, these are spread too thinly across the game). I'd say it's a much better game mechanically than Uncharted 2 and it's the best story the series has had, both for the characters and the treasure, but I'm not sure it will be as replayable as that game.

Here's hoping they add horde mode or something later on. I want to endlessly run around these environments shooting baddies with the amazing mechanics (bonus points if the modifiers work in it).

There are a few of those cinematic traversal scenes I can think of. Didn't happen much but I liked when they happened.

Top Bottom