• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

m4st4

How did DF miss the "severe" frame rate drops?

I'm not surprised. On my first playthrough I'm sure there weren't any; only now, playing on hard, I had couple of 'severe' drops. Lucky? Depends on how much of the level was preloaded maybe, I'm definitely going through map faster now since it's not a big mystery anymore.

The bullet time mode is amazing. Just captured an amazing slow motion scene that made me think of that Killzone 2 slow motion trailer.

ckka8AZ.gif

Hit-response system ftw. Killzone 2 still the GOAT Killzone.

I am very glad there isn't a shooting section every 5 minutes in every single place you go.

Yeah, it made more sense with the story; instead of pulling excuses for gun combat out the ass, it actually waited until it would make sense for enemies to be there. Felt super organic. That being said, while I like exploration, there was a lot of your typical "moving forward" scenes that I don't really care for, that TLOU and Uncharted 3 did and I think it could have had more variety somehow. The exploration and puzzles were damn good, but these long story stretches of just basic interactions isn't my jam either.

That being said, waiting until logical moments for shootouts is pretty progressive in terms of game design, so I really dug it.

Believe me, this time it's not. It's great for the first 2/3rds of the game, but then you get to
Avery's Mansion
and it starts to suck really fast.

Cleared the mansion in 2 tries, the REAL trouble spot for me was
the fuckin' cave in ch.19. There's none of the mobility/escape options from the rest of the game. Just you in a linear cave with waves of goons with grenade launchers and shotguns and heavy machine guns lining up to kill you.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Wasn't really a fan of the last last chapter.
The epilogue. I dunno, them having a kid with cliche things like her cussing and them all WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE was just a little too lame for me, and I feel like this happens every time someone tries to write an epilogue. It's always about their lives in the future, them having kids and the kids wanting to do what they want to do, etc. It just felt tacked on an unnecessary. Harry Potter did it, Lord of the Rings did it (although handled better there than usual) and so on. Uncharted isn't really a series with a set of characters that I feel like I need stuff about like this. The ending stuff before that was fine, so for me the game effectively ends at the credits

And believe me, I suspect all of nobody will agree with any of that, it's just how I personally see the series and how I felt about the way it wrapped up. It was an amazing game, but I think I prefer the pacing and style of the first two more. Again, not a series that I needed to become so grounded (and there's another set of problems I have with it trying to be more grounded that directly clash with the tone of the game/gameplay), but it still turned out great and is definitely a defining exclusive for the console.

No I'm definitely in the same boat as you. I thought a lot of moments fell into that cliche type deal. Again its still up there right now as my favorite in the series, but somehow it may be more flawed than 2.

Deku Tree

Is there any guaranteed method for getting the epilogue select to show up in your options when doing the speed run trophy glitch? I tried to do it a bunch last night and it wasn't working at all for me.

SaganIsGOAT

Can I use slow motion and other bonus gameplay stuff and still get the trophy for crushing?

I want to know this as well. No way am I stressing myself out with those latter battles on the harder difficulties if I even decide to do another complete play through.

No I'm definitely in the same boat as you. I thought a lot of moments fell into that cliche type deal. Again its still up there right now as my favorite in the series, but somehow it may be more flawed than 2.

I just wish it weren't so drawn out a lot of the time, and what I brought up in my post could be the biggest example in the game. I didn't really mind the pacing my first time through as I was soaking everything up, but on replays... lord. It's pretty bad. It could have used to be much tighter. These things are getting more and more like films, but even films need good pacing.

I guess it just felt a lot longer than it needed to, there's a lot of instances where story beats could have been combined in one scene to get the point across, instead there's so much of the same thing, like how many
prison scenes/breakouts/chases/brawls
like that did it need? Just felt really bloated especially in the first third of the game.

Would watch except I can't stand listening to Colin for more than five minutes at time.

Ya that colin guy has some really bad ideas.

And it's fine to have bad ideas. It's fine to even say stupid things sometimes. Many people on podcasts often will. It's just that he is just so fucking arrogant about it. It makes him insufferable.

You gotta appreciate games like this. 16 hours (for me) of beautiful scenery, lovable character interactions and pure schlock. Sucks that it had to end.

I do have one major complaint that brought down the game a lot and that was the enemy encounters. Each one of them felt like you were thrown into arenas, not as natural as it felt like in past games. Also guns are not fun to shoot at all, massive recoil with no sense of impact. I can't remember that being the case in the other Uncharted's but TLoU did it so much better.

The ending was amazing though.
The sword fight was cool and dumb and I actually felt something when Sam asked Nate to leave him.
Also that fucking epilogue.
Nate's daughter. Sully the dog. Savage Starlight 2. THE LAST OF US: AMERICAN DAUGHTERS.

Just finished the game. I liked most of the game, and it was a thoroughly enjoyable sequence. Two things bothered me to no end though [late/endgame spoilers]:

The ship graveyard fight sequence is tragic. Idk why Naughty Dog keeps on putting ship graveyards in Uncharted games, but they're terribly designed, and Uncharted sort of falls apart as a third person shooter when the platforming is taken out of the equation. It's tolerable in short bursts, but a long cover shooter battle does a good job of making you not want to engage in gunfights ever.

The final boss swordfighting/qte with Rafe was terrible. I actually would have enjoyed it better as a cutscene since the fighting was so unenjoyable and unsatisfying.

Outside of that, the game was really fun. The platforming was amazing, and I loved the story.

Well done, ND.

Crushing is a piece of cake when you turn on infinite rpgs.

There are some parts where it wont let you use the rpg but those parts are easy enough.

Does slow motion make crushing easier or something? I feel like this game on crushing will be incredibly brutal. There were some encounters that I had problems with like chapter 20.

Edit: Infinite rpgs? What? They didn't let that slide to get the trophy, right???

CREMSteve

Does slow motion make crushing easier or something? I feel like this game on crushing will be incredibly brutal. There were some encounters that I had problems with like chapter 20.

Edit: Infinite rpgs? What? They didn't let that slide to get the trophy, right???

Cheats don't affect trophies. :)

Which is good, otherwise I wouldn't even bother trying for a Platinum.

Revven

Apparently you absolutely can get the trophy while using the cheats lol.

Either possible oversight (considering UC1-3 in the collection has this restriction) or maybe they just didn't care if you can get the trophy with cheats (though I doubt it).

I won't be surprised if this gets patched the more word that gets out about it. It couldn't be intentional.

But then maybe they're opinions on it changed from the first three games.

I got the trophy with infinite rpgs on crushing.

I don't know exactly how you unlock infinite ammo. But my first play through was on hard not normal. And then I did crushing and it was way easier because of infinite rpg specifically.

ZeroX03

Banned
ND are just bad with trophies. Odd choices and glitches galore. For all their polish they really don't care to make compelling trophy sets or fix issues.

jbug617

Banned
Just got to the end of Chapter 15.
Sam fucked up big time. I actually thought Nadine would of switched sides when Rafe almost got her killed.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is it just me? The encounter everyone is trashing at the end of the game I loved. Playing in normal though. I was swinging like Tarzan.

Uncharted 4's trophy list is definitely an improvement on previous Uncharted's and TLOU. At least it's more interesting that 20 kills with this weapon, 50 with that weapon etc.

Is it just me? The encounter everyone is trashing at the end of the game I loved. Playing in normal though. I was swinging like Tarzan.

I enjoyed it a lot but you can't afford to be too gung-ho on Hard+.

I liked the shipyard fight. It worked much better for me than all the other enemy encounters.

That slide soon after though, that's some bullshit.

nib95

Banned

It's a fantastic encounter, just a little bit more challenging than most others, especially if you're averse to being especially mobile, or usually rely heavily on stealth. That said, it's a different beast on crushing, considerably more challenging than any other encounter in the game.

I won't feel like I earned the crushing trophy by using cheats, honestly.

I'm going to try it without them, I managed the previous three games OK. If I hit a brick wall I'll consider it.

Is that a confirmed thing? That the trophy still pops even when using cheats? If so I might actually go for the Platinum.

Yeah, I was watching one of Kinda Funny's videos and Greg found out he could use infinite ammo and still get the trophy.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yes you can use cheats for the Crushing trophy. Or anything, doesn't disable any.

You can't swing on hard or crushing. You die before you hit the ground. Game is not balanced for higher difficulties. It's cover down and only move for grenades and ammo. Oh, and less checkpoints too.

You can't swing on hard or crushing. You die before you hit the ground. Game is not balanced for higher difficulties. It's cover down and only move for grenades and ammo. Oh, and less checkpoints too.

Yeah, I tried it the first two times I died on that part until I realized it wasn't going to happen due to the balancing issues with playing on Hard. The grappling hook was basically a death trap.

Gotta say, Neil Druckmann saying the ending would be divisive...
was that a troll? Even the people who dont like the game thought the ending was great. They hit every beat right on the head for every character and every theme the game worked towards.

Vire

was that a troll? Even the people who dont like the game thought the ending was great. They hit every beat right on the head for every character and every theme the game worked towards.
Wondering if it was different before that delay?

It seems like a pretty simple crowd pleaser to me.

nib95

Banned

Of course you can. You just have to clear some of the crowd before you do. It would be utterly ridiculous if on crushing you could swing through an open part of an arena with 3-10 guys all shooting at you, and get through it scott free.

edgelord
gamers were going to be disappointed

And don't forget the first teaser.

Maybe he thought people would view the ending as
too happy after The Last of Us? I've seen a few people saying they were disappointed none of the main characters died.

I think half of the fanbase was expecting
SOMEBODY to die or have an insane betrayal or something.

Further escalated with the story they had with TLOU. Even hollywood movies might have thrown a death in there for good measure.

Top Bottom