• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

gamerMan

I'm pretty sure it's a combination of real time cutscenes and the such. Since now the game needs to load the cutscenes rather than playing video. So now more needs to get loaded rather than just the next level. What they did, allows them to load the cutscene and next part of the level while you do a task, so then you can skip the cutscene if you want.

This still doesn't make sense. The cutscenes don't get loaded off the disk since they are not movie files on the disk. They are generated in real time so there is nothing to load since the level and model are already in memory.

The truth is the crates and dumpsters shouldn't be in the game for whatever reason you can justify their existence in the game because gamers are not aware of these "technical limitations." To the gamer, these segments stick out like a store thumb as a form of lazy game design especially after 50th time you have done them.

Otherwise, you can take any bad element in a game and try to justify its existence because of "technical reasons." There are plenty of games with cutscenes that don't use crates. Even The Order didn't rely on "crates." On the otherhand, Crash Bandicoot had more crates than Uncharted but I don't think it was for "technical reasons"

Lima

No. The series didn't get to the place it is today due to pretty graphics alone. Their healthy multiplayer communities also disagree with you.

The series got to its status because of graphics, the characters, set piece action etc. In short the single player.

Certainly not because they were great shooters. Especially 1 was terrible. No hit feedback, awful gun sounds lacking any sort of punch(still an issue in 2, much improved in 3 and the collection) and badly designed combat arenas that were not open enough with sometimes endless waves of enemies thrown at you.

There is a reason they lowered the amount of firefights because a majority of people on the Internet complained about them. A loud vocal minority maybe but they changed it.

Now as to the MP part I can't say much because I've never really played them much but a fun MP experience requires different things than a SP 3rd person shooter/adventure campaign.

The Lamp

The three prior games ended with the antagonists
completely eliminated though. Like, without a trace.

Nate doesn't have any enemies because they're all dead by his cold genocidal hands.
In between the ending and epilogue he probably recreated this scene from Breaking Bad but with anyone unlucky enough to survive the first time around.

What about the families and friends of the people he killed? All these mercenaries? All these people hired by Lazarevic to find treasure and then are murdered by some jackass treasure hunter?

What about Jeff the Camera Guy's mother going after Nate and Elena for risking his life like the mom in Scream 2? Lol

DKHF

Just finished. I really liked it overall.

Ending/spoiler thoughts:

I liked the fight with Rafe a lot and he was a great villain too, the best of the series. Very satisfying ending. I accidentally read a fake spoiler (in an unlikely place...) about Nate sacrificing himself for Elena or something (didn't read the full sentence so I wasn't sure of it exactly thankfully lol) and I'm glad that didn't come true. Would have been such a sour note to end the series on. I thought Sam might die on the ship and wouldn't have minded that honestly (maybe preferred it), though I see why they let him survive.

ND gave the series pretty much the perfect ending.

It's my favourite game of the generation so far. I will need to ruminate about it a bit more before I can say where it ranks in the UC series (if it's above 2) for me.

What about the families and friends of the people he killed? All these mercenaries? All these people hired by Lazarevic to find treasure and then are murdered by some jackass treasure hunter?

What about Jeff the Camera Guy's mother going after Nate and Elena for risking his life like the mom in Scream 2? Lol

To be fair, Lazarevic was a warlord criminal. All of it was self defense.

Plum

How would they know it's Drake? To them their family member was killed in some failed mysterious expedition. Hell, I'd say over half of the bodies of Drake's victims would never, ever be found.

Drake is death, and death is absolute.

KingV

This still doesn't make sense. The cutscenes don't get loaded off the disk since they are not movie files on the disk. They are generated in real time so there is nothing to load since the level and model are already in memory.

The truth is the crates and dumpsters shouldn't be in the game for whatever reason you can justify their existence in the game because gamers are not aware of these "technical limitations." To the gamer, these segments stick out like a store thumb as a form of lazy game design especially after 50th time you have done them.

Otherwise, you can take any bad element in a game and try to justify its existence because of "technical reasons." There are plenty of games with cutscenes that don't use crates. Even The Order didn't rely on "crates." On the otherhand, Crash Bandicoot had more crates than Uncharted but I don't think it was for "technical reasons"

Actually there were some retrospective on Crash talking about how it had crates for technical reasons. They couldn't really add more enemies because they had too many polygons, so they came up with something else to do in the levels, and that's where crates came from. They were chosen specifically because they had so few polygons and could be added without blowing up their on-screen polygon limit.

The Lamp

How would they know it's Drake? To them their family member was killed in some failed mysterious expedition. Hell, I'd say over half of the bodies of Drake's victims would never, ever be found.

Drake is death, and death is absolute.

Anybody in that game world could trace enough clues to find out who it was. These people are solving mysteries from hundreds of years ago lol.

How would they even know about Nate? Do you think these mercenaries were writing letters home and texting?

Edit: Late

BibiMaghoo

Just got to chapter 4 and then got the screen to carry on downloading, first impressions? Man this game is darker than the others, and has lost some of it's soul for it so far. I don't want grim dark from my Uncharted, I want light hearted treasure romp. I hope the game does not continue in this manner.

Stealth in UC4, for me, is not so much a stealth mechanic so much so that it is a "hide/kill silently until you fuck up" mechanic.

It's a mechanic that rationalises Nathan in the scenarios he's in, where the natural reaction to being swarmed with many enemies is hiding first, but the route to success is still fucking up the stealth to go guns blazing.

How would they even know about Nate? Do you think these mercenaries were writing letters home and texting?

Ironically, Uncharted 4
implies that Nate's exploits in UC1/2/3 is known to some parts of the fortune hunter world.

Just got to chapter 4 and then got the screen to carry on downloading, first impressions? Man this game is darker than the others, and has lost some of it's soul for it so far. I don't want grim dark from my Uncharted, I want light hearted treasure romp. I hope the game does not continue in this manner.

Keep playing, brah

Trust me

You shouldn't be concerned.

Ironically, Uncharted 4
implies that Nate's exploits in UC1/2/3 is known to some parts of the fortune hunter world.
Right. Of course they would be. Why would any of those people come after Nate and Co. though when they weren't involved?

I always thought UC did a great job of making these people run in the same circles and building the world of the fortune hunter.

The game is certainly more mature than the previous games but I definitely wouldn't say it's "darker".

Plum

Anybody in that game world could trace enough clues to find out who it was. These people are solving mysteries from hundreds of years ago lol.

What part of "absolute" don't you understand? Nate spends his time in between adventures personally "removing" any and all leads. The Ludonarrative Dissonance proves this beyond doubt.

The Lamp

Yes? Considering they talked to each other about Nate. Do you think these international organizations didn't have access to phones and email or something?

What part of "absolute" don't you understand? Nate spends his time in between adventures personally "removing" any and all leads. The Ludonarrative Dissonance proves this beyond doubt.

You never remove any and all leads. There are financial and digital trails. There are soldiers off-screen. Don't talk to me like I'm stupid. Even Nadine's army knows who Drake is just from Chapter 7 and they all discuss him the entire game.

Plum

You never remove any and all leads. There are financial and digital trails. Don't talk to me like I'm stupid.

I'm being sarcastic. I tried to make it obvious by mentioning Ludonarrative Dissonance but sorry it didn't come across the way I wanted.

Yes? Considering they talked to each other about Nate. Do you think these international organizations didn't have access to phones and email or something?
So the family of these mercenaries are going to track down the person who completely anihilated them and expect to then be able to defeat him themselves? What?

If you're really going deep in to this, most of the people wouldn't have even have known who this person is before they get killed.

My Dearesr Mercette,

I'm patrolling this random ancient rock right now. I'm writing this to preemptively tell you that if I get killed by someone I don't know you need to hunt them down.

Love,
Mercenary thug

P.S. We surprisingly get really great cell service in this thousand year old crypt.

I honestly can't tell if you're kidding around or legitimately think this is a plot hole/legitimate thing.

nib95

Banned
Put some modifiers on. I'm personally super burnt out on it after getting the Plat but the bullet time and no gravity are so fun.

How do you buy and activate these modifiers? In the rewards segment? Away from the console atm otherwise would have checked myself.

RDreamer

Just got through the
Ship Graveyard.
People were complaining about that? It was one of the best combat sequences in the entire game. Fucking loved that shit.

Spizz

Banned
How do you buy and activate these modifiers? In the rewards segment? Away from the console atm otherwise would have checked myself.

Go to bonuses, then add ons I believe. Then you'll see game modifiers, skins, weapons etc. Then all you have to do is switch them on with the D-pad, it'll say activated or deactivated depending if you're using it or not.

Hawk269

Any patch notes for the latest patch? I know it did fix one bug I had in my game. At the start of Chapter 7, the game gave me the tip in the lower right corner about using Auto aiming for the shooting and going to the options menu. The bug was that that message would never disappear, even when engaging auto to see if it would remove it, I even disabled tips and it remained. I played almost all of Act 7 with that damn message and ended up saving and quitting for the night. After the patch, that message disappeared. But just curious what the patch did otherwise.

Just started the Madagascar level and wow impressive. I did not think Act 8/9 were very good. Seemed way too linear and Nate is super human with his spider man skill set, just a bit way too over the top. Still loving the game, but definitely a bit linear thus far.

Plum

Just go to the bonus section in the nenus and choose what you want to unlock and buy it. Then in-game go to the bonus section again and activate whatever modifiers you've unlocked, if the game needs to restart a checkpoint to activate a modifier it'll tell you.

Just got through the
Ship Graveyard.
People were complaining about that? It was one of the best combat sequences in the entire game. Fucking loved that shit.

Cursed it the first time on hard, second time on moderate and knowing what to do I agree with you, it's amazing and the best shooting sequence and one of the best set pieces of the whole game.

nib95

Banned
Go to bonuses, then add ons I believe. Then you'll see game modifiers, skins, weapons etc. Then all you have to do is switch them on with the D-pad, it'll say activated or deactivated depending if you're using it or not.

Just go to the bonus section in the nenus and choose what you want to unlock and buy it. Then in-game go to the bonus section again and activate whatever modifiers you've unlocked, if the game needs to restart a checkpoint to activate a modifier it'll tell you.

Awesome. Cheers dudes.

Serviceable = really sucks?

That a
uction house
stealth segment was great because it wasn't strictly stealth if you didn't want it to be, or if you messed up.
If we're looking at it as a strictly action-non-stealth game? Sure it's serviceable. The AI is actually pretty well programmed.

Otherwise? Yeah, it really kind of sucks. It's way too limited for what I want to be able do. I feel super restricted in non-sensible ways.

After some thinking I've came to the conclusion that Libertalia is better than the lost cities of UC2 and 3 by far.

Why?
Because you get to it about 3/5 of the way through instead of at the end. By having the plot macguffin be treasure instead of the lost city itself they were able to flesh it out and slowly reveal the backstory instead of having to put its downfall all on a last-minute supernatural plot twist. Also I personally find pirates much more interesting than mythical cities.

But Libertalia
still just feels like a fleshed out version of the sunken city from Drake's Fortune

I knew we wouldn't but because I knew supernatural elements weren't happening I was hoping for a thriving active lost city,
At least that would be really new and interesting.

RDreamer

Cursed it the first time on hard, second time on moderate and knowing what to do I agree with you, it's amazing and the best shooting sequence and one of the best set pieces of the whole game.

I loved it on hard. It was heart pounding and crazy but I thought it was pretty fair throughout. It felt like the old Uncharted games more than a lot of the other shooting sequences.

Ishida

Banned
The series got to its status because of graphics, the characters, set piece action etc. In short the single player.

Certainly not because they were great shooters. Especially 1 was terrible. No hit feedback, awful gun sounds lacking any sort of punch(still an issue in 2, much improved in 3 and the collection) and badly designed combat arenas that were not open enough with sometimes endless waves of enemies thrown at you.

There is a reason they lowered the amount of firefights because a majority of people on the Internet complained about them. A loud vocal minority maybe but they changed it.

Now as to the MP part I can't say much because I've never really played them much but a fun MP experience requires different things than a SP 3rd person shooter/adventure campaign.

Wrong. Pretty much every review from critics and gamers praised the gunplay.

The multiplayer communities pretty much prove you are wrong, the shooting mechanics are so good that people were willing to go back to them even without story and character development.

Deku Tree

Can you look at your current accuracy rating somewhere in the menus?

How fast are people able to currently beat the game?

Does the speed run trophy care what difficulty you are set in? Can you skip cutscenes?

I loved it on hard. It was heart pounding and crazy but I thought it was pretty fair throughout. It felt like the old Uncharted games more than a lot of the other shooting sequences.

I'm pretty sure it can be done on one run and with style on hard. I played the game on moderate the second time because I wanted to do it awesome without being worried of my health, wasn't my intention to imply that it's unfair on hard. ;)

So I've just completed Chapter 5 and
is it me or did anyone else notice what looked to be an image of a Neogaf post when Nate's brother hands him over a piece of paper?

If true, I thought that was pretty cool, heh.

Top Bottom