• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

KOHIPEET

Finished the game. Fantastic, even if the last chapters feel a bit stretched and that fucking
swordfight
was soo bad it almost ruined it for me. However, the epilogue more than made up for all.

The combat absolutely has been improved. Like wth. I understand other complaints but the only game I think has better third person combat is inFamous, that's how good this is.

Max Payne 3 has slightly better shooting but yeah it's pretty damn good.

SerTapTap

Trophies kinda scared me off replaying for now. 70% accuracy AND 6 hour speedrun AND crushing? I was expecting one treasure mop up run and one crushing run. This is 2-3 full playthroughs plus treasure mop up, I'm not sure I want to bother. Though Explorer mode will make the accuracy and speed ones much easier. I actually really like how absurdly easy it is in explorer mode. It's true to it's name, no bullshit.

One other thing I was surprised they didn't do much of was the classic "cinematic" camera angles during big traversal moments to frame the locale or whatever. These still happen in U4 and to great effect, but I think they could have took much greater advantage of cinematography with how beautiful the game is.

On the cusp of beating the game and I think overall it's been awesome but loses out a bit due to some extended traversal sections and not enough gun fights (or at least, these are spread too thinly across the game). I'd say it's a much better game mechanically than Uncharted 2 and it's the best story the series has had, both for the characters and the treasure, but I'm not sure it will be as replayable as that game.

Here's hoping they add horde mode or something later on. I want to endlessly run around these environments shooting baddies with the amazing mechanics (bonus points if the modifiers work in it).

I wonder if they felt less need to do those with Photo Mode being a thing. Cinematic angles were always great visually but often made controlling a bit harder. I'll take U4+ photo mode over some of the classic mega zoom out and slightly weird angle business.

Raxus

Just finished it. I really liked the combat encounters encounters in the game but the
ship graveyard battle
was just shitty. Everything what makes U4 battles good (traversal, freedom, verticatility, stealth) didn't work out for me and it became just a bad cover shooter.
I was playing on normal. Can't imagine how annoying this is on higher difficultlies.
It is the most annoying encounter on crushing.

It is there you really feel the ammo constraints and the loss of the toss back function. I'd also like to call bullshit on the AI's god arm when throwing grenades.

Finalow

Dude knock it off with this bullshit. That kind of playstyle wouldn't get you anywhere in any of the game's on crushing.
?? what bullshit.
you mean you can't win in crushing unless you stay hidden behind the same cover for 2 hours throwing back grenades? I doubt it. I believe most of my deaths happaned because of me not moving around enough.
there might be some unfair encounters in that difficulty but that doesn't mean those changes in design which almost compel the player to move around more aren't an improvement, because they are. /and of course rope swinging when you have 10 enemies shooting at your face from that same location isn't gonna help much.

So I'm in chapter 13 right now and just saw that I somehow missed some Journal Entries/Notes in chapter 12. Kinda bummed as I actually quite enjoy finding them, filling up the Journal and having all the pages to look through.
Is there any way I can just jump back into chapter 12, collect them & and have them automatically added to my current save file so that I wouldn't have to replay all the way up to where I'm currently at in chapter 13?

Edit: They do get added automatically. Nice!

Roussow

One other thing I was surprised they didn't do much of was the classic "cinematic" camera angles during big traversal moments to frame the locale or whatever. These still happen in U4 and to great effect, but I think they could have took much greater advantage of cinematography with how beautiful the game is.

I really think that would have come across as indulgent, the cinematography is as outstanding as it is restrained. It's very appropriate. They actually utilize some cinematic techniques from film I've never seen executed in a game before -- an early example, in Chapter 2, after
Sam is shot and falls to his presumed death,
we see Nate stumble away from the scene into the jungle and over a cliff, they use a low frame rate / high motion blur blend for those next 30 seconds of gameplay, it's really effective. (Here's an example of the technique in a film, if I didn't explain it properly, from 2005's King Kong), although the effect is way less intense in Uncharted 4.

Just finished it. I really liked the combat encounters encounters in the game but the
ship graveyard battle
was just shitty. Everything what makes U4 battles good (traversal, freedom, verticatility, stealth) didn't work out for me and it became just a bad cover shooter.
I was playing on normal. Can't imagine how annoying this is on higher difficultlies.

Otherwise the game was great. I liked the pirate story and the pacing was good too. I like it better than U3 and it's equal to U2.
Too bad they already showed the best action sequence at E3. Would have been infinitely more mindblowing seeing that in the game the first time.

I wonder what they'll do for the singleplayer DLC.

Took me several tries on hard the first time but I beat the game on normal yesterday and only died once (obviously I knew what to do this time). It's quite phenomenal when you do it on one run.

EL CUCO

Really enjoyed the game and will definitely be going for the Platinum.

My only few gripes were
no supernatural element
there was never any real urgency of someone losing their life (Elena fake death was the closest it got)
, and
I feel like they used the "we need to find something to get up there. Hey, there's a random crate"
waay too much.

I thought the gunplay was 100% improved
but for some reason it felt like you were punished for not using stealth.
Would've liked some more
guns blazing encounters.

Ending was great. I wasn't as blown away by this game in the same way I was with 2 and moments of 3, but the overall experience is on a higher level than those.

OK so I've been a bit negative on this game, but if there's anything that could cheer me up it's BULLET TIME TROLLING. This is the best bonus unlock they've ever done. Almost makes up for not being able to play with the alternate character skins.

GIFb4373.gif

GIF43e90f.gif

asdasd57e83.gif

Except now I'm REALLY disappointed that there aren't more encounters.

I thought you could play with the alternate skins? Or are those bonuses to just change what those characters are wearing?

And co-op just needs to be those open, intricate arena areas in the main game, but with other players helping out

Harlequin

I thought the Encounter Select menu would be perfect for that, instead of playing a chapter right from the beginning, but unfortunately each Encounter checkpoint you load that way abruptly ends with no possibility to keep on playing. Even one huge sequence (E3 2015 demo) is divided in 3 encounters so either you play through a long chapter with puzzles and climbing to reach that part again or you'd have to play it with 3 separate loading screens. :/

Agreed. Plus, it's really disappointing that it only focuses on the combat encounters, rather than also allowing you to go back to specific platforming or puzzle sections in the game. I'd love to replay some of those without having to go through all the pesky combat sections again (probably an unusual request among Uncharted fans but there you go :p).

I thought you could play with the alternate skins? Or are those bonuses to just change what those characters are wearing?

I earlier complained about how you couldn't because someone had told me so. Then someone told me you could and I apologised for complaining, then someone else told me you couldn't and now yet another person is saying the same thing so I guess you really, actually can't :(. So I rescind my apology from earlier and I'll repeat myself by saying that I really, really hope they'll patch it in. I don't care about cutscenes or facial animations being broken, for all I care they can just revert to the default Nate model in cutscenes and only have the alternate character during gameplay.

Gorillaz

On what seems to be the last leg of the story on chapter
but Jesus did they knock the treasure hunting story out of the park on this one. Handled way better then the old ones.

The path the Avery story takes works so well as a metaphor to the actual story with drake.

The Lamp

I'm amazed that so many people miss (ending spoilers)
the supernatural element when that was the big thing people complained about when U1 came out and it was undoubtedly the thing that contributed to shitty ending boss fights and the shitty cintamani monsters in U2 that people hated fighting. The game is better off without it because the story is stronger and more meaningful when greed itself is what killed everyone, not some hokey curse, because it highlights the danger of Nate letting his greed control him

Finished the game. Fantastic, even if the last chapters feel a bit stretched and that fucking
swordfight
was soo bad it almost ruined it for me. However, the epilogue more than made up for all.

Maybe you're just bad at it.

Harlequin

I'm amazed that so many people miss (ending spoilers)
the supernatural element when that was the big thing people complained about when U1 came out and it was undoubtedly the thing that contributed to shitty ending boss fights and the shitty cintamani monsters in U2 that people hated fighting. The game is better off without it because the story is stronger and more meaningful when greed itself is what killed everyone, not some hokey curse, because it highlights the danger of Nate letting his greed control him

I think the only time it really worked was
in Drake's Fortune. It was poorly handled in both 2 and 3 so I can see why they didn't do it in 4. That being said, it does make 4 seem like the odd one out.

On what seems to be the last leg of the story on chapter
but Jesus did they knock the treasure hunting story out of the park on this one. Handled way better then the old ones.

The path the Avery story takes works so well as a metaphor to the actual story with drake.

yup agreed

giphy.gif

Why you fighting Macapala battles? In all honesty I thought yall was the same person for some reason. Although I still disagree with your responses just because. XD

That's fine, I went back and looked and it was confusing who said what. There was like 10 comments on the Order in about the same spot... lol. I didn't realize so many people responded so fast O.O
Wait, so if I wanted to play as Rafe in the campaign I can't? I haven't tried the unlocked costumes yet.
This is the one thing that bothers me about the costumes lol.

You can only change Nate into other Nate costumes. And other character models will assume those custom models.

You can't actually change Nate into another character, completely unlike U1/2/3..... :(:(:(

Dawg

I think this game has the best "treasure" narrative because
Avery's story actually had me interested all the way through the game. How he seemed so noble in the beginning. Wanting to start a colony with all the other pirates. A better life for them. And then slowly watching him descend into madness. The events happened several 100s of years before Uncharted 4 but it still unfolds perfectly from the first to the last chapter.

When you enter the pirate village for the first time, you can't help but wonder what the heck went down. Who did this. Where is everyone? It was so good.

____

Avery's story actually had me interested all the way through the game. How he seemed so noble in the beginning. Wanting to start a colony with all the other pirates. A better life for them. And then slowly watching him descend into madness. The events happened several 100s of years before Uncharted 4 but it still unfolds perfectly from the first to the last chapter.

When you enter the pirate village for the first time, you can't help but wonder what the heck went down. Who did this. Where is everyone? It was so good.

Agree 100%

Also definitely team nosupernaturalstuff

WGMBY

Finished it last night, really great game. I was never a fan of the shooting in these games so this one felt like it had the perfect ratio of shooting/exploration/story. Thought the ending was very appropriate as well.

Gorillaz

yup agreed

Yea the whole narrative of the Avery expedition went from by the numbers to unsettling so slowly. First time in the series the treasure stuff hooked me from the jump basically

Maybe you're just bad at it.

It may have broken for them. I was passing the controller back and forth for the main game, so I didn't play that part, but it kept going on forever for them and seemingly never progressing in any way even when the person I was playing with was consistently hitting every prompt. After like 6+ minutes,
Rafe just rag-dolled
, then it started over as if restarting a checkpoint. After that, new
fight animations
started up real quickly.

Lima

With bullet time active this is almost like a Max Payne 4. Damn Rockstar get on this. Or let Remedy do it like they offered.

Majmun

Loving the game so far. Just finished the part with the jeep chase and my mind is a bit numb right now lol

This game feels so dense. There's so much attention to detail.

Shin-chan

Drake is basically a super hero anyway, what with his capabilities. Might as well give him the ability to slow down time with his spidey sense while lining a short up.

The explosions and gun shots feel so good in slo mo too.

Spizz

Banned
This is the one thing that bothers me about the costumes lol.

You can only change Nate into other Nate costumes. And other character models will assume those custom models.

You can't actually change Nate into another character, completely unlike U1/2/3..... :(:(:(
Oh wow, I didn't realize that. I wanted to play as Rafe in the campaign :(

Although I do understand how it'd be tough with cutscenes and stuff I guess.

Vire

Will watch now.

Why? He seems like a likeable enough dude imo. Also makes some solid points.
He really isn't to me, talks like a self important jerkoff who is also a console fanboy warrior and injects his horrible political views into a lot of his videos.

I guess I just don't really see eye to eye on many things with him and not just from a video game front.

Curufinwe

Chapter 8 is a great stealth, combat and platforming sandbox. I just laugh when I read the crap about Uncharted not having good gameplay or being a bad shooter.

Wasn't really a fan of the last last chapter.
The epilogue. I dunno, them having a kid with cliche things like her cussing and them all WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE was just a little too lame for me, and I feel like this happens every time someone tries to write an epilogue. It's always about their lives in the future, them having kids and the kids wanting to do what they want to do, etc. It just felt tacked on an unnecessary. Harry Potter did it, Lord of the Rings did it (although handled better there than usual) and so on. Uncharted isn't really a series with a set of characters that I feel like I need stuff about like this. The ending stuff before that was fine, so for me the game effectively ends at the credits

And believe me, I suspect all of nobody will agree with any of that, it's just how I personally see the series and how I felt about the way it wrapped up. It was an amazing game, but I think I prefer the pacing and style of the first two more. Again, not a series that I needed to become so grounded (and there's another set of problems I have with it trying to be more grounded that directly clash with the tone of the game/gameplay), but it still turned out great and is definitely a defining exclusive for the console.

Vitor711

Just finished the game. Prefacing this with pointing out that I adored UC1 on release - it was the game that made me buy a PS3. UC2 also blew me away and I was a UC3 apologist on launch (and was one of the people ND used to 'fix the aiming).

However, after playing the PS4 collection, I started to realise that UC3 had some fundamental problems that I'd ignored. Whilst I liked the improvements to melee combat (it was basically an Akrham game), the fact that the roll button was also the cover button was a huge issue on harder difficulties, as was the lack of enemy hit reactions. The story itself was also worse but, I gave ND some slack here since the actor for Cutter had to go film The Hobbit and they had to write around his departure. They also made up for it by having great character moments, which for me overcame the issues with the underlying plot.

Thoughts on UC4:

Issues:

1. Backward Steps - No more grenade throwing/awful hand to hand combat. Removing the dodge button didn't fix the issues with UC3's melee, it just made it more boring. It's pure button mashing now (only 1 button does anything and rolling to dodge looks stupid). Hell, I think I preferred UC1's bizarre system to this. This makes the 3 forced melee encounters (2 against the villains, 1 arena one) not even up to par of the opening fist-fight of UC3.
  2. Performance - The last few levels feature severe FPS drops. I know that TLOU occasionally had issues maintaining 30FPS but this seems to dip far lower than that ever did. It was pretty distracting in spots.
  3. Pacing - People are right. It's a longer game with less combat encounters and the platforming just isn't engaging enough. What's more frustrating is that the systems they added (the rope/pick) are great and add much needed interactive elements. But they're barely used at all. The one new system which is used a lot (sliding) is done so too much and just looks weird in spots.
  4. Lack of Set-pieces - As far as I'm concerned, there are only 2 set-pieces in this game and we've all seen the first major one via that E3 demo. The second is nowhere near as dynamic and I was frankly a little disappointed. I know that they wanted to ground the game and make it more relatable as some of UC3's stuff would have been hard to beat without going too far into the realm of the ridiculous, but it's a shame to not see anything that even equated to that stuff. The ship and burning chateau will be my favourite UC moments apparently. Heck, UC3 even had a better ship graveyard - shocked to see UC4 fail to combine traversal and combat in such an inventive way, outside of the rope points in combat areas.
  5. Half-baked stealth - The lack of encounters becomes even more noticeable when the new stealth systems mitigate those even further. Most of my fights started with me clearing out more than half the area via the same one or two melee moves (choke out from behind or aerial hit) which meant that, of the 550 or so total enemies defeated in the game, I'd say around less than a third of those were shot. I was always someone who enjoyed the series gunplay and, whilst the stealth is a nice addition, the lack of any real depth (no way to lure enemies, no silent weapons) made it grow stale far, far quicker than the combat. At least the combat forced you to keep moving and featured wider, more vertical options. Most of which would be completely ignored if you opted for the new approach.

Endo Punk

Chapter 8 is a great stealth, combat and platforming sandbox. I just laugh when I read the crap about Uncharted not having good gameplay or being a bad shooter.

Playing hard. So glad stealth is viable now and you can hide from foes. fire fights are brutal and satisfying but stealth pleases me most.

Oh wow, I didn't realize that. I wanted to play as Rafe in the campaign :(

Although I do understand how it'd be tough with cutscenes and stuff I guess.

I think that's why it happened.

Because now the cutscenes are realtime, and assume the character models + weapons on their back.

And they transition between cutscene to gameplay seamlessly quite often, it would cause many problems with clipping and such I bet.

Probably too many problems to address to suit U4 that wouldn't be an issue in the previous games.
Just realized I want another Max Payne.
This is Max Payne sequel, you even get infinite bullet time mode !! :D

Btw it's extremely, extremely easy to unlock the game modifiers.

I'm not sure if you have to beat the game first at least one time, but the game cheats are extremely cheap.

You don't have to find like 75% of the treasures for infinite ammo or something either anymore. You can just buy it after getting like a few treasures.

Daft Punk

Banned
Just hit
Chapter 17 I believe? Drake and Elena just met back up and we're trying to get up an elevator with the jeep. Wow. That last chapter was insane in terms of combat encounters and visuals. Also that plot twist kinda caught me off guard. I mean, we all knew that Sam was going to pull something like this in the game, but basically lying the entire game? Dick move man.
The game is really picking up now and I can't wait to see the end.

Top Bottom