• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

?? what bullshit.
you mean you can't win in crushing unless you stay hidden behind the same cover for 2 hours throwing back grenades? I doubt it. I believe most of my deaths happaned because of me not moving around enough.
there might be some unfair encounters in that difficulty but that doesn't mean those changes in design which almost compel the player to move around more aren't an improvement, because they are. /and of course rope swinging when you have 10 enemies shooting at your face from that same location isn't gonna help much.
I'm saying you calling me some lame ass camper is bullshit. I've beaten every game on crushing including u4. you telling me how to play based off a hard playthrough doesn't mean anything. You cant camp on crushing on any of the games (well besides the first one barely). Enemies will flush you out so trying to call me out with that weak shit is bullshit.

murgo

I love this game. I love Naughty Dog. But what the FUCK were they thinking when they balanced chapter 20 for crushing? This shit is absolutely ridiculous. I've been stuck here for hours now and can't beat the first section
with the 2 mini gunners.
I'm almost ready to give up and activate the bonus cheats to get through this shit :(

Oh well, I still need to beat it on crushing anyways, might as well go for it!

Jeez. Those are some real balls you have there!

btw speaking of the accuracy ratio, there's a trophy related to it... how do you go about this? Just start a fresh new game or something? I figured the percentage would remain in the statistics.

mileS

The game can get quite challenging even on Normal. If you choose not to use stealth to take out half of the 10-12 dudes in the area they flank you so bad it almost seems like they spawn in behind you and all sides.

Stealth is fine and all, it would have been 1000x as good if you could distract the guards with something.

The Lamp

Why would I mourn anyone who worked for a criminal warlord?

If you watch any movies, it's easy to imagine how a family or friend of someone would mourn their death regardless of their dumb life choices, especially if mental disease is involved.

So the family of these mercenaries are going to track down the person who completely anihilated them and expect to then be able to defeat him themselves? What?

If you're really going deep in to this, most of the people wouldn't have even have known who this person is before they get killed.

My Dearesr Mercette,

I'm patrolling this random ancient rock right now. I'm writing this to preemptively tell you that if I get killed by someone I don't know you need to hunt them down.

Love,
Mercenary thug

P.S. We surprisingly get really great cell service in this thousand year old crypt.

I honestly can't tell if you're kidding around or legitimately think this is a plot hole/legitimate thing.

I honestly can't believe that you apparently cannot fathom a scenario where someone would want to exact revenge upon Nate and Elena for killing their loved one in one of these games. It's a super cliche' action movie plot set-up.

All it takes is for Nate to kill someone's kid who joined a mercenary army for there to be consequences.

The game can get quite challenging even on Normal. If you choose not to use stealth to take out half of the 10-12 dudes in the area they flank you so bad it almost seems like they spawn in behind you and all sides.

Stealth is fine and all, it would have been 1000x as good if you could distract the guards with something.

Well... You can distract them with grenades without being noticed at least. :p

There's one bullshit spawn late game. They throw in a gauntlet in front of you in this tight ass corridor, and then out of nowhere a dude with a shotgun spawns behind you. It's a pretty dick move.

Glad I got hard mode out of the way. It was a huge pain in the ass but I did it so that I wouldn't feel bad about cheating through Crushing mode. I don't find a lot of it to be much of a fair challenge on Crushing tbh especially where a lot of the challenge is simply throwing an impossible amount of assholes at you, the later fights were definitely bullshit.

But playing on hard, it was still rough and I finished it so now I'll play it my way.

Keihart

game needs a challenge mode, arenas are too good.
There are a bunch of sections just as good or better than the ship junkyard on U3.

nib95

Banned
I love this game. I love Naughty Dog. But what the FUCK were they thinking when they balanced chapter 20 for crushing? This shit is absolutely ridiculous. I've been stuck here for hours now and can't beat the first section
with the 2 mini gunners.
I'm almost ready to give up and activate the bonus cheats to get through this shit :(

I posted some tips earlier in the thread.

Ship Graveyard crushing tips

Just got to chapter 21 last night.

I have to say that this game recaptured everything that made the original stand out to me in that I want to get lost in its jungles, I felt like I could get tangled up in the vines or trip over the roots myself. But playing that game at least a half a dozen times sort of lost that feeling and made me start noticing its faults more and more. The sequels were incredible imo, but it never had that same feeling the original had.

That changed with 4. And it does so in a way that I'm sure even on the 6 or 7 playthrough, I'm bound to gawk at a different area that I may have missed in previous sessions.

Excuse me, I have to check myself for ticks.

Ellite25

Anyone else think the gun sound effects are amazing? There is a lot of umph to them. Sounds really great on my sound system. Some of the best I've heard in a game.

Speaking of, I really wish there were more wildlife in the game. There's no way these places would be so empty of things. I expected to see some giant boas and shit, that would have been cool.
Very true. Guess they didn't want static animals in fear of players trying to shoot at them and breaking immersion. That's why there's always the fast moving variety that scamper just before you notice them that you may miss haha.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yes you can use cheats for the Crushing trophy. Or anything, doesn't disable any.

You can't swing on hard or crushing. You die before you hit the ground. Game is not balanced for higher difficulties. It's cover down and only move for grenades and ammo. Oh, and less checkpoints too.

I honestly have no idea why people play on the harder difficulties; I've always thought Uncharted was one of the harder TPS series out there. I thought the original was hard as balls. Seems like harder difficulties really nerf some of the fun movement options. Not interested no thanks~

BTW Elena is one true waifu. Listening to her explain why the fox has to wear jeans is god tier. None of this anime trash.

Speaking of, I really wish there were more wildlife in the game. There's no way these places would be so empty of things. I expected to see some giant boas and shit, that would have been cool.

That's interesting. I'd be happy to see more, but I kept finding myself surprised at how many animals they actually had in the game. I love the lemurs!

dalin80

Banned
Just finished, my review-

95% of the game is awesome, end encounter is poop.

Seriously a random GTE kinda things that uses a completely new gameplay mechanic? That's BS, I just ditched the controller and let the game repeatedly die while having a cup of tea.

Also did the game have any music? I checked the volumes repeatedly but nothing seemed to be playing?

Very true. Guess they didn't want static animals in fear of players trying to shoot at them and breaking immersion. That's why there's always the fast moving variety that scamper just before you notice them that you may miss haha.

It's definitely not even really a nitpick, just an observation. I did notice a
turtle
in a cave near the end, but that was about it apart from the lemurs and birds.

I can't believe I just spoiler tagged that. Spoiler culture!

That's interesting. I'd be happy to see more, but I kept finding myself surprised at how many animals they actually had in the game. I love the lemurs!

The lemurs were cool. Just saying in some of the places you go later I expected a bit more wildlife, but like I said, not even really a nitpick.

The Lamp

Just finished, my review-

95% of the game is awesome, end encounter is poop.

Seriously a random GTE kinda things that uses a completely new gameplay mechanic? That's BS, I just ditched the controller and let the game repeatedly die while having a cup of tea.

How are people this bad at the end encounter?

it was pretty easy at moderate difficulty. it's two buttons and he telegraphs the moves for like 1-2 whole seconds before he swings. Clearly these people don't play dark souls

It's definitely not even really a nitpick, just an observation. I did notice a
turtle
in a cave near the end, but that was about it apart from the lemurs and birds.

I can't believe I just spoiler tagged that. Spoiler culture!

The lemurs were cool. Just saying in some of the places you go later I expected a bit more wildlife, but like I said, not even really a nitpick.

Don't forget the rats and crabs!

nib95

Banned
I honestly have no idea why people play on the harder difficulties; I've always thought Uncharted was one of the harder TPS series out there. I thought the original was hard as balls. Seems like harder difficulties really nerf some of the fun movement options. Not interested no thanks

Harder difficulties are still really fun in this game though. Just much more adrenaline inducing and scary, and a lot more realistic. They demand a lot more strategic consideration and skill, and I think the added challenge is rewarding in itself.

Don't forget the rats and crabs!

I've seen a leapord type thing, wilderbeast, a giant turtle, dogs, lemurs, monkeys etc.

Putty

Tempted to start a third play through. Never done three consecutive play throughs with any of ND's other games....

I'm on chapter 18 and am already thinking about my 2nd playthrough. I'm on hard and have no interest in playing on Crushing, so I imagine I'll go in on normal. Game is simply one history's finest...

Deku Tree

it was pretty easy at moderate difficulty. it's two buttons and he telegraphs the moves for like 1-2 whole seconds before he swings. Clearly these people don't play dark souls

Lol moderate difficulty.

The final boss is the worst final boss in the Uncharted series IMO. ND is really bad at Uncharted Bosses too.

oh okay well then FUCK THAT

I lost it probably around 25 times on hard. And it's apparently the only rough spot on crushing if you have the cheats enabled.

Fuck it indeed. I loved the concept of it and the visuals, but man you go from such good gameplay to
your usual QTE final encounter
and it's just so lame. But it happens every time so it's just something you come to expect.

I'm on chapter 18 and am already thinking about my 2nd playthrough. I'm on hard and have no interest in playing on Crushing, so I imagine I'll go in on normal. Game is simply one history's finest...

Once you finish on hard you can enable cheats for Crushing, at least it's fun and you'd get the crushing trophy. Well until the final boss, where it goes from fun to bye bye out the window Mr. PS4 :p

I always love finishing a game, and actually having enough shit to do to immediately jump back in and have even more fun.

Jeez. Those are some real balls you have there!

btw speaking of the accuracy ratio, there's a trophy related to it... how do you go about this? Just start a fresh new game or something? I figured the percentage would remain in the statistics.

1. Choose a random encounter from the main menu. This resets the accuracy statistics.
2. Go to Chapter select and pop a few enemies, making sure your accuracy's over 70%. I chose the
Alcazar chapter
, killed a few enemies then quit.
3. Chapter select the Epilogue and play until it ends.

dalin80

Banned

A lot of people don't like dark souls, this 'everything must be punishing' nonsense is really sucking the fun out of gaming at the moment.

Putty

I did that and I consider it a geat decision.
Yep. Never once felt cheated ....of course I've had 2 or 3 really hard sections, but eventually I got through.....on Crushing I imagine these sections being massively frustrating to the point of zapping the fun factor...

1. Choose a random encounter from the main menu. This resets the accuracy statistics.
2. Go to Chapter select and pop a few enemies, making sure your accuracy's over 70%. I chose the
Alcazar chapter

WHaaaat

Haha, man they always end up making some of these otherwise relatively grueling trophies easier with some of these workarounds.

Putty

Once you finish on hard you can enable cheats for Crushing, at least it's fun and you'd get the crushing trophy. Well until the final boss, where it goes from fun to bye bye out the window Mr. PS4 :p

I always love finishing a game, and actually having enough shit to do to immediately jump back in and have even more fun.
Ah, so you still get a trophy for crushing if you use any cheats?

Does anyone recognize the
cities from the Orphanage and where Drake and Elena live/work
in the early chapters? or are they fictional?

Deku Tree

Alcazar chapter

What do you mean "choose a random encounter from the main menu"?

Chapter 13:
There is way too much platforming in the first half of the chapter. Great combat arena, but good lord, I don't think I realized just how long that portion was my first time through.

Chapter 14:
This one's a total snoozer. A big area with nothing in it. I don't even like the fight at the end much. The design wasn't as great as some of the other arenas and doesn't hold a candle to the one you just experienced in 13. Scenery is good, but there are better looking areas in the game. Idk the conversations didn't really do much for me either.

Chapter 15:
The Nadine fight is so useless gameplay-wise. Not engaging in any way whatsoever. So boring to do again. At least it's over pretty quick. This chapter really needed a combat arena or two. You didn't find anything interesting either. It's not a "bad" chapter per se, but just really disappointing after the shortcomings of 12-14. The tower and story bit at the end were good, but there's not much in this chapter. Now on to the incredibly dull 16.

Stealth in UC4, for me, is not so much a stealth mechanic so much so that it is a "hide/kill silently until you fuck up" mechanic.

It's a mechanic that rationalises Nathan in the scenarios he's in, where the natural reaction to being swarmed with many enemies is hiding first, but the route to success is still fucking up the stealth to go guns blazing.

Ironically, Uncharted 4
implies that Nate's exploits in UC1/2/3 is known to some parts of the fortune hunter world.

I agree.
---
Those bonus renders are pretty novel. Not sure if I would actually want to play with any of them though.

Love that you can choose any weapon with the bonus unlocks. Bullet time is fun too.

Putty

Chapter 13:
There is way too much platforming in the first half of the chapter. Great combat arena, but good lord, I don't think I realized just how long that portion was my first time through.

Chapter 14:
This one's a total snoozer. A big area with nothing in it. I don't even like the fight at the end much. The design wasn't as great as some of the other arenas and doesn't hold a candle to the one you just experienced in 13. Scenery is good, but there are better looking areas in the game. Idk the conversations didn't really do much for me either.

Chapter 15:
The Nadine fight is so useless gameplay-wise. Not engaging in any way whatsoever. So boring to do again. At least it's over pretty quick. This chapter really needed a combat arena or two. You didn't find anything interesting either. It's not a "bad" chapter per se, but just really disappointing after the shortcomings of 12-14. The tower and story bit at the end were good, but there's not much in this chapter. Now on to the incredibly dull 16.

I agree.

Those bonus renders are pretty novel. Not sure if I would actually want to play with any of them though.

Love that you can choose any weapon with the bonus unlocks. Bullet time is fun too.

Sounds like you love it.

Sydle

Credits are rolling right now.

Amazing send off for the series. I still think the first 6 chapters were hot garbage, but there was so much after that I thoroughly enjoyed where it's easy enough for me to forgive those first few hours.

It had the highest highs of the series for me, but some of the lowest lows (
heavy handed narrative, too many cart/crate parts, too much climbing, exploding tunnels, some poorly designed enemy encounters, end boss fight was not great
) . It doesn't match the feeling I had after completing Uncharted 2, which I thought was perfection, but overall it left me with a huge smile on my face.

Great game. : )

And since everyone else is doing it...

U2 >>>>> U4 >>>>>>>>> U3 > U1

It was easy even on Hard mode. Didn't try Crushing yet.

Top Bottom