• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Da fuq man, TLOU only a 9? I thought you were cool Net Wrecker.

I love the game but a 10 is something that starts strong, and finishes strong. Something I can return to over and over playing the entire experience without feeling bored or frustrated for lengthy periods. TLOU has a really slow opening 90 minutes to 2 hours before it becomes "OMG." I understand that it's setting the scene for what's to come, but these are just my super personal preferences. Similarly, UC2 has a really rough last few sections which is why I wouldn't rate that campaign a 10 either (my UC2 replays usually stop before the combat in Shambhala)

I disagree so hard with the complaints about the platforming in this game. Yeah it's easy and you're not timing jumps to avoid pitfalls and going on moving platforms and shit, but so far they've done a really excellent job of making each traversal section really distinct and essentially being little puzzles that complicate the core mechanics in different ways. Like you might go for a rope swing and be unable to reach the ledge you think you have to get to, but then you realize you have to slide down further and swing *under* a broken wall to reach a previously unseen path.

I adore the platforming in UC4. It's definitely not a challenge but I just find that the combination of movesets, animation blending, and the multiple pathways makes it a joy to control.

I always liked UC3. Sorry boys. There's a lot about 4 that feels like expanded and heavily refined aspects of 3 as well.

I would definitely agree with that. In terms of combat I think they nailed a lot of what they were attempting to do in UC3. And the story definitely seems like a bit of a do-over on what they were attempting to portray in UC3. Only this time they got it right.

It's funny- I know in some of the pre-release material people felt like they were glossing over UC3, presumably because it was made by a different team. But so many of the key elements of UC4 character arcs and revelations come directly out of UC3.

I agree with you, and I thought Ch.17-20 were the highlight of the game because of that dynamic.

Honestly, Chapters 17-20 are the best
romance in a game IMO. And I think it's pretty incredible that it was done with a couple who are already married.

Spinluck

It's great. All the non-combat stuff is really great and/or improved over past games. Can't say whether it'll all be as engaging in a second playthrough, but yeah.

I'd agree with all of this.

It's odd because combat has finally become a highlight in an Uncharted game, but they finally decided to show some restraint when it comes to encounter rate. I felt like we got some really good encounter scenarios here. Some matching or being even better than those of UC2's.

Jumeira

Banned
If I'm forced to apply a numerical value to simplify my beautiful fully formed objective facts opinions on these campaigns, my rankings would look like

UC1 = 6
UC2 = 9
UC3 = 6
TLOU = 9
UC4 = 7

If we're including multiplayer in the ratings (aka the "entire package" score), UC2 =10 and UC4 = 8.
I'd give UC4 a 10. But I agree with the rest. UC1 is awful.

Uncharted 3 is just as good as 2.

/dropmic

Chloe lovers are the worst.

I agree with you. While I still probably prefer Uncharted 2 as an overall package, it's not leaps and bounds better than Uncharted 3. And there's certain things I prefer in UC3 over 2. I'm not finished with Uncharted 4 yet, so I don't know where it'll end up placing in my personal list, but as of right now, definitely preferred UC2 and 3 over this so far.

Javin98

Banned
So we're doing numbers, eh? This is not usually how I rate them, but I'll round up just for simplicity's sake

UC1: 8.5/10
UC2: 10/10
UC3: 9.5/10
TLOU: 10/10
UC4: 10/10

I should add that Uncharted 4 is the best ND game IMO.

leng jai

I was always of the opinion that UC2 had the best stretch of pacing and encounters in the series. When it picks up, it picks up.

The combat was really lacking for me though.

None of the guns felt good, and the melee felt terrible (might be getting UC1 and UC2s hand to hand mixed up).

UC2 had great pacing really. 3 was the game where a lot of people complained about it.

nib95

Banned
So we're doing numbers, eh? This is not usually how I rate them, but I'll round up just for simplicity's sake

UC1: 8.5/10
UC2: 10/10
UC3: 9.5/10
UC4: 10/10

I should add that Uncharted 4 is the best ND game IMO.

Almost mirrors my ratings. Brofist.

Ascenion

UC1 - 7
UC2 - 9
UC3 - 8.5
UC4 - 9

TLOU - Citizen Kane

Whoa now. Think about what you're saying here. I mean TLOU is damn good. You could've just written 15 or something. Saying that implies things, serious things, revolutionary things.

Mirrintu

Neo Member
My only complaint with the ending.
I think Sam got off too easy. He lied and put everyone's life at risk and no one seemed to mind. Everyone forgave him too quickly.

I agree, I had this same problem.
Like, Sam was free for two years and didn't even contract Nate, then when he finally does gives him this bullshit story to convince him to come risk his life and marriage for a treasure he doesn't care about anymore. Family or no, after 15 years of thinking he was dead I would have been a lot more pissed off. Though it is still a minor thing overall, and after nearly losing Sam again and their little heart to heart it is understandable to just let go and move on.

While I liked uc3 there definitely was something off about it. Even in the collection with the "fixed" gunplay I saved a bunch of video clips with crazy issues with hit detection such as invisible walls, or bullets just not landing for some reason. On top of that a lot of the major set-pieces were very "me too!" such as the horses on the convoy vs. the original convoy set piece. It has some truly great moments, but it's not on the same level as 2 for a lot of different reasons- the treasure doesn't seem as great, the lost world definitely isn't as great, the villains are nowhere near as menacing or threatening as Lazaravich.

1 for me is a damn good first effort. It really set a new bar when it came out at least for me it did. I liked the gunplay better in 1, even though some would say it's the weakest in the series, again it lacks those strange hit detection issues. I also think context is important. 3 was trying to follow up the king of the genre and it didn't quite make it.

I don't know why people hate on UC1 so much. It is an older game so obviously the games following will have improved gameplay, but compared to other games at the time period I think it was damn good. And story wise it is my favourite of the first three.

UC2 definitely had better pacing than 3, and more interesting encounters overall, but I still enjoyed the 3rd one a lot. The set pieces were gorgeous and the chase scene on horseback was one of the funnest sequences imo, but I do agree that the villains in the 3rd were not nearly as good as in the 2nd, and the 3rd had the worst boss fight of all of them.

leng jai

I'm going to go with:

UC1: 8/10
UC2: 9.5/10
UC3: 8/10
UC4: 8.5/10
TLOU: 9.5/10

Whichever way you look at it, the consistency is astounding really.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Papercuts with dat edge. Trying to be all Washington Post up in here.

5 is average, dammit.

There is a large difference in quality between these to me, and the difference between an 8 and a 9 is not actually that big.

zsynqx

My opinion on Uncharted 3 is that it tried to have the storytelling of 4 and the wall to wall action of 2, but failed at both.

It does have some great spectacle though.

Veldin

If I were to boil my problems with Uncharted 4 down to one point, it'd be that the game feels like it was designed without its core mechanics in mind. Almost every chapter is structured to fill in as much story and voicework as possible at the expense of everything else. It has action segments instead of action levels. What's most annoying is that the movement, shooting and stealth options are improved over the previous games, yet there's typically only a couple of minutes of combat for every 20-30 minutes of walking, climbing and cutscenes. People keep commenting on chapters 10 & 11 and that's because that's one of the rare parts of the game where you're actively playing it more than you are watching it and going through the motions.

Nice, now I understand that U2 >= U4 with basics statistics.

Here's mine:

U1 = 9 (at the time, now would be an 8 or less)
U2 = 10
U3 = 9.5
U4 = 10 (the best one for me)

*TLOU = 10

Ascenion

My opinion on Uncharted 3 is that it tried to have the storytelling of 4 and the wall to wall action of 2, but failed at both.

This hearkens back to my comment about Uncharted 2 being the culmination of balance between Hennig and Druckmann while Uncharted 3 was Hennig unchecked and Uncharted 4 would likely be Druckmann unchecked. Funny now that if you combined 3 and 4 you'd probably get the greatness of 2 again.

It's great. All the non-combat stuff is really great and/or improved over past games. Can't say whether it'll all be as engaging in a second playthrough, but yeah.
I had more fun with it the second time, because I was just messing around. It really has some "oomph" to it, feels like what you think a 4x4 should feel like in a game (even though I don't think it's actually a 4x4 in the game, I think only rear-wheel XD).

I would LOVE a multiplayer racing mode. Naughty Dog, please!
I freaking wish....

I want them to add vehicles to the multiplayer too, but the way it is designed feels like there is just no room for them :(

I'd dig a racing DLC mini-game for sure....
It feels good, but there's really nothing to it. It's just a way of getting from point to be, there's no real gameplay there imo. Not sure why they included it. I liked the winch, I guess.
Naw mang, I completely disagree.

They've really created a perfect arcade driving model here. They've made simulations of grip on multiple surfaces, that you can really feel easily, that's not so easy.

Winch was the weakest part I think. I sincerely suggest trying to play to the limits of what the car is capable of, just drive it all over the place, maybe it'll make a difference.

Uncharted DF - Screen tearing/10

Uncharted 2 - Awful boss/10

Uncharted 3 - Biased British critics/10

The Last of Us - Ladders/10

Uncharted 4 - Gone Home/10

Papercuts

5 isn't average, 5 is an F. 7 is average.

Translating a grading scale 1/1 with a review never made sense to me. 1-6 are never used, lol. What makes a game a 2 versus a 6?

Each number should mean something...when testing if you get a 50% you don't know half the material which is awful. They're harsher for a reason.

I'd love to see your ratings for 90% of other games if those are getting 4s and 5s.

4/10 is bad, 5/10 is just eh. I like to use the full scale when available. UC1 is damn near unplayable in 2016(and it wasnt that good in 2007 frankly), and UC3 strengths are mitigated by its many, many weaknesses.

other games I played this year for example:

XCOM 2: 9/10
Dark Souls 3: 8/10
Street Fighter V: 8/10(the core game...the product itself is terrible lol)
Uncharted 4: 8/10
Ratchet & Clank: 7/10
Doom: 7/10
Rise of the Tomb Raider PC: 7/10
Star Fox Zero: 7/10
Hyper Light Drifter: 7/10
Superhot!: 6/10
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam: 6/10
Quantum Break: 5/10

Seriously? 5 is the middle number on the scale from 1 to 10. Deal with it.

Unless you are being sarcastic.

i'm going by percentages and how grades are given, so 5 out of 10 is 50 percent which is an F on a grade scale. 6 is a D, 7 is a C, 8 is a B, 9 is an A, and 10 is an A+

Translating a grading scale 1/1 with a review never made sense to me. 1-6 are never used, lol. What makes a game a 2 versus a 6?

Each number should mean something...when testing if you get a 50% you don't know half the material which is awful. They're harsher for a reason.
a game would be lower than 5 if it's worse than a dud, something that's broken or abysmal.

zsynqx

This hearkens back to my comment about Uncharted 2 being the culmination of balance between Hennig and Druckmann while Uncharted 3 was Hennig Unchecked and Uncharted 4 would likely be Druckmann unchecked. Funny now that if you combined 3 and 4 you'd probably get the greatness of 2 again.

Well I think 4 is a better game than 2, so I disagree. I love the push for a more story driven Uncharted. Also, Amy didn't work on TLOU which is easily their best work. (imo)

With that said, I wouldn't have minded a couple more encounters because they were so well designed in this game.

i'm going by percentages and how grades are given, so 5 out of 10 is 50 percent which is an F on a grade scale. 6 is a D, 7 is a C, 8 is a B, 9 is an A, and 10 is an A+
Grade scales vary by person and or site mate. Eurogamer will actually use the full scale. Ign seems to go by the A to F scale. So just translate his ratings into your own scale. Not that hard.

UrbanRats

UC1: 4/10
UC2: 9/10
UC3: 7/10
UC4: 8/10

Though i don't subscribe to the school of thought that thinks that a "10/10" is a perfect game or anything.
Just an exceptional one.

nib95

Banned
I'd love to see your ratings for 90% of other games if those are getting 4s and 5s.

That's what I was thinking. If UC3 is a 5/10, I wonder what he'd give games like Army of Two, Straglehold, R.I.P.D, Rambo, Lost Planet 3, Scourge, Binary Domain, Kane & Lynch, Sam & Max, Bionic Commando, The Godfather etc.

leng jai

4/10 is bad, 5/10 is just eh. I like to use the full scale when available. UC1 is damn near unplayable in 2016(and it wasnt that good in 2007 frankly), and UC3 strengths are mitigated by its many, many weaknesses.

other games I played this year for example:

XCOM 2: 9/10
Dark Souls 3: 8/10
Street Fighter V: 8/10(the core game...the product itself is terrible lol)
Uncharted 4: 8/10
Ratchet & Clank: 7/10
Doom: 7/10
Rise of the Tomb Raider PC: 7/10
Star Fox Zero: 7/10
Hyper Light Drifter: 7/10
Superhot!: 6/10
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam: 6/10
Quantum Break: 5/10

Fair enough, I like to use the full scale too. Whatever scale you use 4 is basically terrible, which UC1 definitely is not in my opinion (even in 2016). It was considered a top tier game in 2007 :/

That's what I was thinking. If UC3 is a 5/10, I wonder what he'd give games like Army of Two, Straglehold, R.I.P.D, Rambo, Lost Planet 3, Scourge, Binary Domain, Kane & Lynch, Sam & Max, Bionic Commando, The Godfather etc.

Exactly. Even if you don't like UC1/UC3 it's pretty clear they are quality productions, so 4 or 5 is harsh. Those games you mentioned would be like 1s and 3s in comparison if you really used the full scale.

Vire

Though i don't subscribe to the school of thought that thinks that a "10/10" is a perfect game or anything.
Just an exceptional one.
This is what GAF consensus will probably go down as by years end.

Papercuts

a game would be lower than 5 if it's worse than a dud, something that's broken or abysmal.

To me I'd say a game that's broken or abysmal should just be a 1. Like a game being broken in its core shouldn't get a random 4 or something.

This type of thing feels similar to why a game reviewer giving something a 7 is seen as 'bad' by many people, since the scale is never actually used lower than that properly. Just how I've always looked at it anyway.

Just an exceptional one.

I'd bump Uncharted 4 up to a 9, but damn, I completely agree otherwise.

come on, UC1 isn't THAT bad..

It really is. Oddly enough, I've still played the thing three times, so even though I dislike it, I keep coming back because I love the characters.

Classic UC1 is probably more of a 4 or 5/10 in 2016, but the HD Collection version (definitive version) gets bumped to a 6 IMO. It's flawed but playable and the presentation of what Uncharted will be known as is already fully formed.

UC3 is more of a 4 or 5 though. I think I went soft on that one because we're still too close to UC4 and I'm experiencing the Zelda Effect right now. Come back to me in 3 months for untainted scores.

Top Bottom