• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Vire

Classic UC1 is probably more of a 4 or 5/10 in 2016, but the HD Collection version (definitive version) gets bumped to a 6 IMO. It's flawed but playable and the presentation of what Uncharted will be known as is already fully formed.

UC3 is more of a 4 or 5 though. I think I went soft on that one because we're still too close to UC4 and I'm experiencing the Zelda Effect right now. Come back to me in 3 months for untainted scores.
Wait are these scores what they are now or what we would rate them at the time? Cause mine would be different if I was rating for now.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Uncharted - 9/10
Uncharted 2 - 9.5/10 (my 2009 goty)
Uncharted 3 - 9/10
The Last of Us - 9.5/10 (my 2013 goty)
Uncharted 4 - 9/10

All ratings are based at the time I played the games. Uncharted 1 and 2 were back to back after Uncharted 2 was released as that's when I first bought the ps3. Uncharted 3 was a year after release while The Last of Us was a few months after release. Uncharted 4 was last week.

The Last of Us is my favorite Naughty Dog game followed by Uncharted 2, Uncharted 4, Uncharted 3 and Uncharted. Uncharted 4 should have matched and even surpassed Uncharted 2 for me and was on pace to do that but too many factors went against it from happening.

One thing is for sure, when you look at a franchise, Uncharted is probably the best overall one from beginning to end. I expect The Last of Us to be the same.

Well if Uncharted 1 is unplayable maybe we should talk about RE4... I know that that game is like the mesiah here but damn those controls these days...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Classic UC1 is probably more of a 4 or 5/10 in 2016, but the HD Collection version (definitive version) gets bumped to a 6 IMO. It's flawed but playable and the presentation of what Uncharted will be known as is already fully formed.

UC3 is more of a 4 or 5 though. I think I went soft on that one because we're still too close to UC4 and I'm experiencing the Zelda Effect right now. Come back to me in 3 months for untainted scores.

Feel it in your bones, breh.

Well if Uncharted 1 is unplayable maybe we should talk about RE4... I know that that game is like the mesiah here but damn those controls these days...

The game is perfectly built around those controls though.

And great pacing ages like a fine wine.

I normally just use 7 ratings instead of a 10(Excellent, Very Good, Good, Okay, Eh, Awful, Crap) cuz 9/10 and 10/10 are basically the same damn thing(EXCELLENT), and so is 3/10-4/10(AWFUL) and 1/10-2/10(CRAP!)

I play maybe 1-3 excellent games every year. Last year was just one(Bloodborne). 2014 was 3(Bayonetta 2, Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8). 2013 was 3(Wonderful 101, The Last of Us, Super Mario 3D World). 2012 was two(Journey, Mark of the Ninja)

Vire

Oh Jesus Christ, please.. No.

No one respond to this, WE ARE NOT GOING DOWN THIS RABBIT HOLE.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I normally just use 7 ratings instead of a 10(Excellent, Very Good, Good, Okay, Eh, Awful, Crap) cuz 9/10 and 10/10 are basically the same damn thing(EXCELLENT), and so is 3/10-4/10(AWFUL) and 1/10-2/10(CRAP!)

I play maybe 1-3 excellent games every year. Last year was just one(Bloodborne). 2014 was 3(Bayonetta 2, Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8). 2013 was 3(Wonderful 101, The Last of Us, Super Mario 3D World). 2012 was two(Journey, Mark of the Ninja)

what you're saying is a 5 point scale is the way to go.

leng jai

6 is about right for 2016, even with the remaster improvements. I think I actually enjoyed UC3 more when I played it last year due to the improved aiming, weapon sounds and pristine IQ.

UC1 actually reminds me of 4 in a way. The gameplay is mediocre but the story at the time, amazing characters and fantastic graphics really made the game.

In 2016, UC1 is probably more like a 5, but at the time of release it was a solid 7. Haven't played it in years tbh.

I played it in 2008. To me, it was a 4 even then.

maybe people will enjoy UC1 more now that the UC Collection has it at 1080p and 60fps without screen tearing.

It definitely helps, but it's still one of ND's worst games.

I like Drake's Fortune more than Resident Evil 4.

This is madness.

2 has the most, and best, designed encounters. Each fight in that game feels distinct in some way where it's evident thought was put into the layout and placement of enemies. You get shootouts while holding onto signs high above a street, multi-sniper dual w/RPGs mixed in, shootouts while in the back of moving trucks, shootouts in an overturned and overrun train car, shootout while climbing a tower, shootouts while descending a tower, etc. And that's all in normal gameplay.

So I read a lot of similar comments pre-release and, after playing the game, I couldn't disagree more. Especially with a recent replay of UC2 fresh in my mind. I love the stuff you mention in UC2 as well but I think UC4 has just as many cool combat encounters.

I agree, I had this same problem.
Like, Sam was free for two years and didn't even contract Nate, then when he finally does gives him this bullshit story to convince him to come risk his life and marriage for a treasure he doesn't care about anymore. Family or no, after 15 years of thinking he was dead I would have been a lot more pissed off. Though it is still a minor thing overall, and after nearly losing Sam again and their little heart to heart it is understandable to just let go and move on.

I think it gets to the core of Nate's character growth at the end. He just realizes that family is the most important thing. When he has people who support him like Elena and Sully he knows there is no use holding a grudge. Hate and jealously is how Avery's paradise turned to shit. Sam is Nate without 15 years of mellowing experiences and he gets that finally.

So I read a lot of similar comments pre-release and, after playing the game, I couldn't disagree more. Especially with a recent replay of UC2 fresh in my mind. I love the stuff you mention in UC2 as well but I think UC4 has just as many cool combat encounters.

It might, but I really couldn't say becuase of all the downtime.

UC1 is just real rough. Imagine you really dislike the combat in that game, and have no attachment to the story/characters.

now imagine in-between every one of these interminable combat sections is another platforming section.

Like boy if you thought the platforming in UC4 was boring...N I G G A play UC1 and get back at me. And there's no beautiful vistas or character banter to help you along the way either

Ascenion

Well I think 4 is a better game than 2, so I disagree. I love the push for a more story driven Uncharted. Also, Amy didn't work on TLOU which is easily their best work. (imo)

With that said, I wouldn't have minded a couple more encounters because they were so well designed in this game.

I kind of agree. I'd say U4 is the better game as well, but I find U2 to be the better experience. U4 is a joy to play aside from when it gets a little too slow. TLOU imo, serves to show Druckmann's true strengths which we only saw glimpses of in U2 since it was on the whole still Amy's show. If I was trying to be objective I'd also probably go with TLOU if I was showing someone what ND was truly capable of. I still find U3 a tad bit too action heavy and U4 a tad bit too story (exposition) heavy. I feel the chapter balance is off slightly playing through again and maybe if they'd condensed chapters ( 4 and 5 are just one chapter together) it would feel better and less drawn out to me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I strongly disliked TLOU, so I can't rightfully compare it to Uncharted.

UC4 is, at this point, my favorite Naughty Dog game. There are so many incredible moments, a fantastic slow burning beginning, some of the best action set pieces in the series, and an ending that actually made me tear up.

I absolutely loved it.

Wait are these scores what they are now or what we would rate them at the time? Cause mine would be different if I was rating for now.

I always rate for "now." If I didn't, nostalgia or blind hate would cloud my views and my opinions would never evolve. That's why I know deep down that UC4 doesn't stack up to UC2 because I just played UC2 a few months ago and had a great, great time with it.

Like boy if you thought the platforming in UC4 was boring...N I G G A play UC1 and get back at me. And there's no beautiful vistas or character banter to help you along the way either
you're serious right? for a 2007 game it looks great, and there's great dialogue between Nate Sully and Elena.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
In regards to other games, despite it's negatives and flaws, Uncharted 4 is currently my game of the year. Other games I played and finished were -

Dying Light: The Following: Enhanced Edition - 8/10
Far Cry Primal - 9/10
The Division - 9/10
Quantum Break - 7/10

While score wise, it's a three way tie, Uncharted 4 is simply the better overall game. Whether or not it ends up being my goty remains to be seen though.

Vire

I always rate for "now." If I didn't, nostalgia or blind hate would cloud my views and my opinions would never evolve. That's why I know deep down that UC4 doesn't stack up to UC2 because I just played UC2 a few months ago and had a great, great time with it.
Oh well, in that case Uncharted 1 would be much much lower for me. I haven't played it in years so it's difficult for me to say, but it was a 7 at the time vs. Gears 1 which was probably a 9 at that time.

It might, but I really couldn't say becuase of all the downtime.

The downtime made those sequences more effective to me. I like that they got rid of the standard "4 guys in a flat room with a bunch of conveniently placed cover" that still dotted so much of the first 3 games and instead decided on making each combat encounter unique and impactful.

Just beat it. Loved the ending!! ND <3

I enjoyed the game a lot, but there are a few things that could be better. The AI is ridiculously bad, the stealth segments were most of the time a pain in the ass to go through, mainly because the controls aren't up to the challenge, and it felt like the game was a bit too long. Maybe 2 hours less would be enough. Idk. Finished it in 16h. Also, I love the contextual controls in many of the segments but sometimes Nate would get stuck for a second or two just because he was close to something, which felt unnecessary.

I was gonna copy-paste it myself but you did it for me, thanks.
with that being quoted, I really can't see how it's an ''open call out saying anyone criticising the encounters must play on easy'' because it isn't, hence the ''read that again'' part. my point was about the changes they made (e.g. having no grenade throwback, enemies flanking you more etc.) which encourage the player to move around more, instead of camping behind the same cover. if you want to do that (>camping), there's easy mode. was that really hard to grasp
but be my guest and stay in your raving ''yooo that dude just called me out wth'' fantasies, I guess.
But no one is saying they want to camp behind the same cover except you, so I'm not even sure why you even bothered to bring it up. That's the part that you refuse to grasp because, I don't know, you can't tolerate the criticism of the game I guess? The older games encourage you to move around plenty on higher difficulties, which is why the removal of throwback on top of the addition of more destructible cover and explosive damage animation reaction is annoying with late game encounter structure being irritating.

leng jai

I don't think that's exactly fair though. UC1 was their first attempt so I'm going to cut them some slack when it comes to how it ages. They came close to perfection with UC2 and that game will probably forever be as close to perfection as it gets for me as an entire package.

I think UC4 will still hold up for me if I replay next year. The way it's structured replaying it again immediately would certainly not be as good (I did that with UC2 and TLOU and arguably enjoyed myself more).

How? You literally have like 2 shootouts and then just rush the dude at the end. It's honestly the only good boss fight in the entire series.

I found those shootouts to be really annoying. Plus, the QTE at the end is lame.

The entire freakin' game was nothing but shootouts, so by the time I get to that boss, I'm beyond done.

I think UC4's boss fight is a lot better. Hell, I think UC2's is better and it sucks!

Top Bottom