• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Encounter select screen just makes me sad. There needs to be twice as many on here. I feel like they patched that in because they recognized they put so few in. I'm not one to really play encounters outside of the context of the story though. Sigh.

It also doesn't really work with the E3 section since it was split into parts.

Kyrios

Man, the second playthrough is even more enjoyable than the first lol

Also, is PSN acting kinda screwy tonight? My What's New section won't update, can't access cloud saves, and my Recent Activity on my profile is all screwed up, showing stuff from last week.

EDIT: U4 multiplayer OT thread has a lot of people saying they can't get into a game and activities are screwed up.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Oh, really? I played the whole game with marking off from the start and I don't feel like it was horribly broken or anything. Saying the game was built with marking in mind is flat out wrong.
I didn't say or even remotely imply that the game is broken without marking in mind. Stop considering everything I saw as some sort of insult towards the game dude, calm down.

It's not implied. Bruce said in an interview that treasure collectibles were initially added in earlier Uncharted games for replay value.
And they're still here, journal entries being more realistic is for the sake of story more than anything, the game has gamey mechanics, ND isn't going for super grounded gameplay here.

I bet someone like Drake should have superb situational awareness, probably a lot better than most gamers seeing the situations he gets out of. Marking makes kind of sense, just as listening mode (I didn't use either tho)

Edit: Hahahaha, fucking Talbot...
It really doesn't. Especially since "he's just a normal guy." I mean the fact that the guy survived for so long is due to a flat out INSANE amount of luck. Especially that
clock tower, he straight up looks like he gets crushed at some point and his bones have to be made of titanium or some shit to have never had a visibly broken limb after being slammed against cogs.

Javin98

Banned
I didn't say or even remotely imply that the game is broken without marking in mind. Stop considering everything I saw as some sort of insult towards the game dude, calm down.
Never took it as an insult towards the game, I just found your wording poor. If something was built with a mechanic in mind, it clearly should fall apart in theory without it. That's certainly not the case here. In fact, the PSX demo had no marking at all, so I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.

btkadams

I really enjoyed the encounters in the game. It's such an incredible improvement upon the previous games. I managed to go through entire areas by either meticulously stealth killing everyone, running around like a badass killing everyone in a firefight, or sneaking past and avoiding killing most of the people. I felt like I had total control.

Just beat the game and had an amazing time with it. I don't think I beat any of the previous games this quickly, because I was just that hooked with this one.

Crossing Eden

Never took it as an insult towards the game, I just found your wording poor. If something was built with a mechanic in mind, it clearly should fall apart in theory without it. That's certainly not the case here. In fact, the PSX demo had no marking at all, so I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.
The PSX demo had no marking at all because it was rehearsed to hell and back to appear as cinematic as possible and marking is an incredibly gamey mechanic, I wouldn't even be surprised if it wasn't even fully implemented yet at that stage since that demo was so early that they didn't even have proper death animations in that build.

Does anyone else wish sams stor
y about the drug lord was true so the game could end in like a 3 way firefight hot mess involving mercenaries and cartel fighters and maybe even some supernatural element?

That's a big gripe I have about this game is the exclusion of
supernatural beings, its totally an uncharted thing and its
missing

Keihart

And they're still here, journal entries being more realistic is for the sake of story more than anything, the game has gamey mechanics, ND isn't going for super grounded gameplay here.

It really doesn't. Especially since "he's just a normal guy." I mean the fact that the guy survived for so long is due to a flat out INSANE amount of luck. Especially that
clock tower, he straight up looks like he gets crushed at some point and his bones have to be made of titanium or some shit to have never had a visibly broken limb after being slammed against cogs.

You stop being a normal guy after 2 lost cities and some armies under your belt, wich is kinda the point of the game in fact.

Edit:

y about the drug lord was true so the game could end in like a 3 way firefight hot mess involving mercenaries and cartel fighters and maybe even some supernatural element?

That's a big gripe I have about th
is game is the exclusion of supernatural beings, its totally an uncharted thing and its
missing

That sounds fun, but there was a point to be made to make the plot make sense.

I was thinking about it the whole time. I was hoping to kill off the druggies. Nate is a man that have slain armies multiple times.

By god, Nate is equivalent to Solid Snake in his army destroying abilities.

Javin98

Banned
The PSX demo had no marking at all because it was rehearsed to hell and back to appear as cinematic as possible and marking is an incredibly gamey mechanic, I wouldn't even be surprised if it wasn't even fully implemented yet at that stage since that demo was so early that they didn't even have proper death animations in that build.
Fair enough, but Nightengale has given good evidence on why the game was probably not built with marking in mind. In fact, to add on what I said earlier, I wouldn't consider a mechanic that could be removed entirely and improves the overall experience by doing so something that was built in mind for the game.

By god, Nate is equivalent to Solid Snake in his army destroying abilities.
Nah, Solid Snake is still the bigger bad ass. He took down a tank with only grenades and several nuclear equipped war machines. :p

That would've absolutely been great, and given the game thecombat gauntlet it was missing.

Even if it was a just a hint at a
supernatural element
, that would be fine.

y about the drug lord was true so the game could end in like a 3 way firefight hot mess involving mercenaries and cartel fighters

Yes. It would've given the story more flavor and added more shootouts. It would also make the
happy ending more reasonable because it's slightly underwhelming with the serious tone.

Uncharted 4 makes me wish the black ops 3 chapter fast forward and skip was included in every game. The constant walking in pretty environments has worn thin and I'm just not feeling it anymore after 19 chapters. I just want this schlock to be over with already. It's just not handled well and Im surprised because I loved stuff like Dear Esther because I at least felt like the walking was accomplishing something.

I'm just not feeling U4 and I miss the pacing of U2/U3 so much right now. I think this game was made with the idea that everyone jumped on the "the last of us was a 10/10 experience and benchmark in gaming" bandwagon.

Crossing Eden

You stop being a normal guy after 2 lost cities and some armies under your belt, wich is kinda the point of the game in fact.
Tell that to ND. I stopped buying that normal guy thing years ago when it was revealed that apparently the dude was doing parkour as a teenager and understood latin at an even younger age. Actually this game continues that one dissonance between narrative and gameplay where Drake is a killing machine who occasionally stumbles and says the word crap and is way more vulnerable during cutscenes. Actually rolled my eyes at the scene where
Rafe said that killing people in cold blood isn't their style.
Because after all those snapped necks, including the guys at the auction who were just guards doing their job, that's bullshit.

Davide

My main complaint with the first few Uncharted games was the endless amount of encounters and the stories never really resonated with me. So for me, this is the best Uncharted.

That would've absolutely been great, and given the game thecombat gauntlet it was missing.

Even if it was a just a hint at a
supernatural element
, that would be fine.
I was so disappointed when it was revealed that
Sam was lying. At that point I thought yeah, there won't be a any 3 way fiesta at the end. There werent even any monsters. Instead it was a fencing session with some
forgettable nerd. lol :(

Riozaki

Banned
Uncharted 4 makes me wish the black ops 3 chapter fast forward and skip was included in every game. The constant walking in pretty environments has worn thin and I'm just not feeling it anymore after 19 chapters. I just want this schlock to be over with already. It's just not handled well and Im surprised because I loved stuff like Dear Esther because I at least felt like the walking was accomplishing something.

I'm just not feeling U4 and I miss the pacing of U2/U3 so much right now. I think this game was made with the idea that everyone jumped on the "the last of us was a 10/10 experience and benchmark in gaming" bandwagon.

The game would've been so epic if they just added more set pieces and encounters in the middle until the end. Instead they made the pace the same from the beginning till the end.

Windforce

It doesn't. The middle third is actually even slower. There's only one chapter that's a bit more amped up like FancyClown said.

It keeps the same balance of combat (or lack thereof) throughout the whole game, sadly. There's one late game chapter that has a fairly lengthy and sustained sequence of shootouts though, and it's awesome.

Oh well. Probably not gonna like this more than Uncharted 2 and 3, then.

My rank will probably be U2 > U3 > U4 > U1 > U:GA, but let's not jump to conclusions, got over half the game to play.

U4 seems to have taken many hints from TLOU and quite honestly I didn't like it that much because I don't enjoy stealthing much. I like blowing shit up, I like playing against waves of enemies and feeling like I'm playing horde mode or something. The most stealthy actions I've enjoyed doing were Tomb Raider's bow kills.

My ranking

U2 > U1

U3, U4 DNE

Its a huge relief going back to U2 and getting chased by a tank and dodging bullets with Tenzin with glorious OST playing

Now that was uncharted

U4 seems to have taken many hints from TLOU and quite honestly I didn't like it that much because I don't enjoy stealthing much. I like blowing shit up, I like playing against waves of enemies and feeling like I'm playing horde mode or something. The most stealthy actions I've enjoyed doing were Tomb Raider's bow kills.
Then don't go stealth?

JTripper

DLC gonna be
Cassie going to school, meets Ellie, then goes on a big adventure and it ends with TLoU outbreak starting.

lol

I agree with the others, chapter 12-16 needed more battles. It doesn't have to be a lot either. At least have a major battle every 1-2 chapters.

Javin98

Banned
DLC gonna be
Cassie going to school, meets Ellie, then goes on a big adventure and it ends with TLoU outbreak starting.
Dude, where the hell did you get this timeline from?
Ellie was born after the outbreak. Also, most of the game seems to take place in present day or around that era. The epilogue is about 15 years later, which would be around the time The Last Of Us takes place.
What a way to mess up the timeline. :p

I will agree that there should have been a few more encounters, not that I felt the main game lacked them while I went through it, but I loved them so much that I wish there were more of them.

I agree with the others, chapter 12-16 needed more battles. It doesn't have to be a lot either. At least have a major battle every 1-2 chapters.

At least Chapter 13,
the PSX 2014 demo
, has the best single combat encounter in the entire series. In my opinion at least. The way its set up is perfect. I love the vertical nature of it. I wish we would have gotten more like it.

Yeah, they could have made those encounters avoidable for those who don't want to fight. Like either in a way of optional routes or through stealth.

One thing I would like ND to improve on is the routes. Like there is multiple ways to get around in an area in this game right? But there isn't much branching pathways or entrances to a key area. It's nice that you could fight how you dictate, but it doesn't apply to the entrance.

A lot of the times the starting location is key, I want to be able to pick a path that leads to an optimum starting point for my gunfights.

For example: Lets say there is 3 entrance to a main battle. One is in plain view with grass, another is in a cave, and the last one is at a cliff above.

We should start a petition for ND to put a horde type mode in the game so we can just mess around with combat.

Well, they're adding co-op. I only pray it isn't merely multiplayer maps, and instead consists of open levels like the ones in the main game. If there's some actual direction and progression, even better

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Ellie was born after the outbreak. Also, most of the game seems to take place in present day or around that era. The epilogue is about 15 years later, which would be around the time The Last Of Us takes place.

Also, there's
a TLOU poster in Cassie's room.

At least Chapter 13,
the PSX 2014 demo
, has the best single combat encounter in the entire series. In my opinion at least. The way its set up is perfect. I love the vertical nature of it. I wish we would have gotten more like it.

I loved that one, I actually snuck through it to see if it was possible. It was definitely.

JTripper

Did I say
Ellie? I meant, uh, Sarah! Yeah!

Yeah, they could have made those encounters avoidable for those who don't want to fight. Like either in a way of optional routes or through stealth.

One thing I would like ND to improve on is the routes. Like there is multiple ways to get around in an area in this game right? But there isn't much branching pathways or entrances to a key area. It's nice that you could fight how you dictate, but it doesn't apply to the entrance.

A lot of the times the starting location is key, I want to be able to pick a path that leads to an optimum starting point for my gunfights.

For example: Lets say there is 3 entrance to a main battle. One is in plain view with grass, another is in a cave, and the last one is at a cliff above.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Actually make use of all that space. Instead of just filling it with worthless treasure that have no description or story behind them. (or platforming padding) Arena design was great, but they could've done so much more with the levels themselves.

At least Chapter 13,
the PSX 2014 demo

Only problem was the
endless platforming in the first half of the chapter which was already preceded by a chapter that was nothing but platforming :p Not enough. Downtime chapter right after it too. And the next two...
Arena was phenomenal though. ND teases us with flashes of brilliance, but they never sustain it for long enough in UC4(gameplay-wise).

Only problem was the
endless platforming in the first half of the chapter which was already preceded by a chapter that was nothing but platforming :p Not enough. Downtime chapter right after it too. And the next two...
Arena was phenomenal though. ND teases us with flashes of brilliance, but they never sustain it for long enough in UC4(gameplay-wise).

The platforming didn't bother me, because I was in awe at how gorgeous that level was. I could see it being an issue on a replay though.

Peaky

Neo Member
Was surprised at how light-hearted the game was for the most part. Obviously in line with the action movie feel of the rest of the series but I was expecting something a bit more darker and personal. Not sure if that's just me or how it was presented leading up to release. It was definitely more personal but in a different way then I expected.

Not looking forward to that mansion firefight on crushing. Hard nearly drove me insane the amount of retries it took. The ending series of shoot-outs were probably harder but seemed more fair for the most part.

My GOTY so far and favourite in the series. Felt like more of a complete package than the others. Looking forward to getting stuck into multi and hunting for more trophies / treasures.

I wanted that to happen SO bad. I figured
Alcazar's men were keeping tabs on Sam and would confront Rafe + Nadine's crew and Sam/Nate/Sully/Elena, Libertalia would become a warzone again, then SUDDENLY ZOMBIE PIRATES OMG WHY IS AVERY'S SHIP MOVING, OMG WE'RE IN A WHIRLPOOL, OMG HOLY WHAT IS THAT A WHALE, OMG SWINGING SHIP TO SHIP, OMG SWORDFIGHTING AND FLINTLOCK PISTOLS, OMG.

Then: You know what Ellie, we really are greed corrupts.

But I guess we're too mature for that and people don't like ridiculous action in their ridiculous action games anymore *shrug*

Javin98

Banned
I wanted that to happen SO bad. I figured
Alcazar's men were keeping tabs on Sam and would confront Rafe + Nadine's crew and Sam/Nate/Sully/Elena, Libertalia would become a warzone again, then SUDDENLY ZOMBIE PIRATES OMG WHY IS AVERY'S SHIP MOVING, OMG WE'RE IN A WHIRLPOOL, OMG HOLY WHAT IS THAT A WHALE, OMG SWINGING SHIP TO SHIP, OMG SWORDFIGHTING AND FLINTLOCK PISTOLS, OMG.

Then: You know what Ellie, we really are greed corrupts.

But I guess we're too mature for that and people don't like ridiculous action in their ridiculous action games anymore *shrug*
What you just described seems to me like it would suit a Metal Gear game much more. Aside from the pirate theme, of course.

DSP really loved this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWhcmN9X-0M

I agree with most of what he said

I give this game 9 at least and it's among the top 5 games this gen by far for me Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Dark souls 3, Witcher 3 and Bayonetta 2.

My top 5 so far:

The Witcher 3
Dark Souls 3
Bloodborne (haven't finished this yet as you know, but I can tell already)
Rocket League
.... drawing a blank

Honestly, I don't think there's been many "exceptional" games this gen yet.(at least for my tastes) UC4 is in my top 10, but idk where exactly I'd put it. I'd group it with games like MGSV that do certain things really well, but just don't come together completely because of odd design choices. Bayo 2 would almost certainly be there, but no Wii U.

Persona 5 will save us
in 2017.
Well as long as the
dungeons don't suck this time.

What you just described seems to me like it would suit a Metal Gear game much more. Aside from the pirate theme, of course.

Bruh, you realize we fought zombies and ran through not one, but TWO crumbling ancient cities, right? Uncharted's gone duuumb before. And I didn't have an issue with it, in concept at least.

Top Bottom