• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

I wanted that to happen SO bad. I figured
Alcazar's men were keeping tabs on Sam and would confront Rafe + Nadine's crew and Sam/Nate/Sully/Elena, Libertalia would become a warzone again, then SUDDENLY ZOMBIE PIRATES OMG WHY IS AVERY'S SHIP MOVING, OMG WE'RE IN A WHIRLPOOL, OMG HOLY WHAT IS THAT A WHALE, OMG SWINGING SHIP TO SHIP, OMG SWORDFIGHTING AND FLINTLOCK PISTOLS, OMG.

Then: You know what Ellie, we really are greed corrupts.

But I guess we're too mature for that and people don't like ridiculous action in their ridiculous action games anymore *shrug*

This is not bad idea. In fact, it would make combat more dynamic. Think about it:
the encounter now involved not only you and mercenary but drug lord's army as well. It's the fucking same thing I wished MGSV had but it didn't (Russian vs Local mercenary vs Snake)

Two anticipated games that have such a great combat mechanic but wasted potential encounters. Shame

Maybe there was less banter in the script because they had grown up but that's something l still miss.

Whaa? There was plenty of banter.

Alcazar's men were keeping tabs on Sam and would confront Rafe + Nadine's crew and Sam/Nate/Sully/Elena, Libertalia would become a warzone again, then SUDDENLY ZOMBIE PIRATES OMG WHY IS AVERY'S SHIP MOVING, OMG WE'RE IN A WHIRLPOOL, OMG HOLY WHAT IS THAT A WHALE, OMG SWINGING SHIP TO SHIP, OMG SWORDFIGHTING AND FLINTLOCK PISTOLS, OMG.

But I guess we're too mature for that and people don't like ridiculous action in their ridiculous action games anymore *shrug*

This sounds more like the gratuitous drivel of Uncharted 3 than the well done set pieces of Uncharted 2.

Javin98

Banned
Bruh, you realize we fought zombies and ran through not one, but TWO crumbling ancient cities, right? Uncharted's gone duuumb before. And I didn't have an issue with it, in concept at least.
Nah, I can get the concept. Uncharted has done supernatural elements but still kept them somewhat grounded. A reality that has been fantasized, if you will. What you described sounds like something Hideo Kojima would write in the script. :p

Dariso

Neo Member
Was surprised at how light-hearted the game was for the most part. Obviously in line with the action movie feel of the rest of the series but I was expecting something a bit more darker and personal. Not sure if that's just me or how it was presented leading up to release. It was definitely more personal but in a different way then I expected.

You know, looking back at the first teaser they showed for the game, it interesting how dark and serious it looked. We probably will never know what Amy Hennig's story was but that trailer at least tells us that the game was probably gonna have a more serious tone compared to what we got. Sam is definitely one of the things they changed going by that teaser.

Javin98

Banned
I wish. Maybe then MGSV would've been entertaining.
What? MGSV was full of "WTF" moments. The opening, Mission 12 and Missions 29-31, especially. Basically any part with Sahelantrophus and Volgin. It felt like Kojima cranked the crazy over the top action to 11. The problems you had with the game probably isn't the action scenes.

What? MGSV was full of "WTF" moments. The opening, Mission 12 and Missions 29-31, especially. Basically any part with Sahelantrophus and Volgin. It felt like Kojima cranked the crazy over the top action to 11. The problems you had with the game probably isn't the action scenes.

Mission 29. So good.

You know, looking back at the first teaser they showed for the game, it interesting how dark and serious it looked. We probably will never know what Amy Hennig's story was but that trailer at least tells us that the game was probably gonna have a more serious tone compared to what we got. Sam is definitely one of the things they changed going by that teaser.
Which is the opposite of what people would've guessed this would've played out given TLOU guys stepped in to lead this.

Cheeky banter though?

Maybe more in the first half. The globetrotting bits
Italy, Scott, Mad
were pretty lighthearted I feel throughout.

Timeaisis

That's the kind of ending I was expecting, to be honest. Oh well.

Just finished it. Wow is all I have to say. Went on media blackout pretty much for this except the E3 2015 trailer. Probably the greatest game I have ever played, not even a hyperbole. I just can't believe a game like this exists. The scale, the story, the characters, the gameplay...I have dreamt of games like this.

It saddens me though we won't get any more Uncharted from Naughty Dog but I am very excited to see what is in store with them, crossing my fingers for Last of Us 2!

If Uncharted 3 had Uncharted 4's combat system I would still be unimpressed by the plane and cruise ship.

I never had any issue with UC3's set pieces. It's the combat and encounter design that always annoyed me. UC3 with UC4's combat design might be on par with UC2 tbh. Not as well paced, but a million times more fun that it is now.

You just cited like 2 hours of a 50 hour experience, minimum. The bulk of that game in between the ridiculous nonsense (which wasn't even as good as the old MGS nonsense, I'm a MGS1/MGS3 guy) were basically dry VR missions with the best mechanics ever.

But this ain't a MGS thread, and I'm done with that series. Let's keep it on topic :D

It would have made for one hell of a major battle and possible final battle.

Just imagine a set piece for it.

There is a ship to ship battle where you swing back and forth during the onslaught to save Sam or to take out both leaders. While you're doing that a lot of shit falls apart in Uncharted nature and etc...

It would have made for one hell of a major battle and possible final battle.

Just imagine a set piece for it.

There is a ship to ship battle where you swing back and forth during the onslaught to save Sam or to take out both leaders. While you're doing that a lot of shit falls apart in Uncharted nature and etc...

Whew. UC4 going out with a bang

Dariso

Neo Member
Which is the opposite of what people would've guessed this would've played out given TLOU guys stepped in to lead this.

True. Maybe the higher-ups wanted to keep uncharted lighthearted to differentiate it from TLOU and Amy wanted to make the game with a more serious story, the so called creative differences that caused her to leave ND.

The difference is gratuitous drivel with UC4's combat system = GOTY

I think I might actually agree with this. Don't get me wrong, I love Uncharted 4....but this is the first game in the franchise where I wanted MORE combat, because they actually nailed it for once. The problem with the earlier games, for me, was the fact that the combat wasn't all that great and there was too much of it. This game is the complete opposite. The combat is fantastic but there's too little!

With all that said, I think I still prefer UC4 over UC2, as much as I love that game.

Then the Flying Dutchman and the Black Pearl come in and Davy Jones unleashes the kraken

cue music

goty

I only felt a finale anywhere near that ridiculous was going to happen before Chapter 12-13-14. After that stretch I lost any hope that the game was going to go big and dumb.
I did still kinda expect a third party to get involved though.

Your GOTY maybe. As of now the UC4 we got is mine.

I know the series is pulpy and over the top but if we got what you typed I would have eye rolled until I was looking at my own ass.

That's cool. We all have our preferences. Mine happens to be when Uncharted's flexing its big flashy muscles all over the screen.

Then the Flying Dutchman and the Black Pearl come in and Davy Jones unleashes the kraken

cue music

goty

You and this music lmao

Consider one more party entering this scene. A party of actual modern day pirates with a beast of a ship. Onboard is no other than captain
Eddy motherfucking raja.

But yeah the music did suck. So many moments that needed so much more oommf and feel flat on their face.
Nate making that last climb to get Sam back
should've given me chills with the score, but didn't even remember it if there was music at all.

Consider one more party entering this scene. A party of actual modern day pirates with a beast of a ship. Onboard is no other than captain
Eddy motherfucking raja.

Now you have my attention.

This thread is depressing me, I like the "boring stuff" :p

Don't get depressed, it's fine that you love UC4. It's a high quality product in many respects. I just need to vent every once in a while.

I'll move on and leave you all in peace when the next disappointment releases. Won't take more than a few weeks, I'm sure :p

Eddy motherfucking raja.

:O

That's the kind of fanservice that would bring me to tears. Chapter 4's got nothing on this.

valkyre

I liked the story overall, but felt the resolution between Sam and Nathan was too swift. It was very much
forgive and forget
in mere moments.

This is because Nate has been himself in
Sam's situation many times and made the same mistakes many times. Nate has lied multiple times the same way, even in this game Nate lies to Elena. But with Sam he now, tastes a bit of his own medicine which eventually makes him come to the realization of how shitty this is. He forgives Sam because in a way he has endangered Elena himself and if Elena can forgive Nate after all his lies, it would be completely ironic if Nate, who gets what obsession Sam is going through after 15 years of jail time, was not willing to forgive him.

AwShucks

So no spoilers I guess since not a spoiler thread. I just finished and I think it might be my favorite Uncharted. The environments are so fantastic and all the little details and props make me happy. The gameplay all felt very fluid and other than enemies being bullet sponges I rarely felt overwhelmed. The story hit a lot of great notes for me. Very pleased with the ending as well.

zsynqx

Don't get depressed, it's fine that you love UC4. It's a high quality product in many respects. I just need to vent every once in a while.

I'll move on and leave you all in peace when the next disappointment releases. Won't take more than a few weeks, I'm sure :p

haha it's fine as long as everyone agrees that TLOU is Naughty Dog's best game. :)

UC2 and UC4 can scrap it out for second.

I smell some great potential dlc here
Yeah where we get to know
Eddy's
history and find out he wants out of the game too and open up a cafe with his new wife and be a family man. The dlc is about him wanting to apologize to Drake if he ever said anything hurtful to him in the past.

Javin98

Banned
You're not the only one. I do appreciate the down times and quiet moments because the environment is just so much fun and beautiful to explore. But at the same time, I also wanted two or three more combat encounters in between. I guess it really depends on which game players preferred before Uncharted 4, though. Those who loved UC2 more probably want more combat. Those who loved TLOU more are fine with the slower pacing. I'm in the camp who loved TLOU more, but UC2 is also one of my favorite games.

But to apologize to your later post, I think Uncharted 4 is my favorite ND game and greatest game I've played all around. :p

Eddy motherfucking raja.

I'll pay more than I usually do for DLC if that happened!

He could make an appearance saying "Don't mess with Eddy Raja!"

Hope they don't pull a Left Behind for DLC. Co-op horde would be dope too.

Watch the DLC be Nate and Elena at the supermarket 6 months prior to the events of UC4. The only set piece will be Nate eating grapes before he pays for them.

Who needs horde mode when you have Whole Foods. ND does it again. 5/5 - RespectThySole
I thought I wanted more combat, but climbing the step ladder to reach the Frosted Flakes was the best platforming in the series. 8/8 - The Xtortionist
That was so emotional I almost couldn't finish it. Uncharted: Whole Foods Origins brought the feels. 10/10 - zsynqx

Watch the DLC be Nate and Elena at the supermarket 6 months prior to the events of UC4. The only set piece will be Nate eating grapes before he pays for them.

Who needs horde mode when you have Whole Foods. ND does it again. 5/5 - RespectThySole
I thought I wanted more combat, but climbing the step ladder to reach the Frosted Flakes was the best platforming in the series. 8/8 - The Xtortionist
That was so emotional I almost couldn't finish it. Uncharted: Whole Foods Origins brought the feels. 10/10 - zsynqx

christ

Oh man

dralla

Hope they don't pull a Left Behind for DLC. They need to go crazy with it. Co-op horde would be dope too.

You have to consider the budget. I wouldn't expect anything too crazy in the DLC, assuming it's fifteen bucks or so. I wouldn't mind paying like thirty bucks if it meant we get a crazy set piece in there

ayy lmao

SMG

Is being wrong a fetishism of yours?

AwShucks

haha it's fine as long as everyone agrees that TLOU is Naughty Dog's best game. :)

UC2 and UC4 can scrap it out for second.

I do not agree with that. I enjoyed TLoU but nowhere near as much as any Uncharted game (except the Vita one). And I think Uncharted 4 surpasses 2 for my favorite. I disliked very little about the game (bullet sponge enemies for instance).

Ascenion

That's fine some of it was great (makes a replay tiresome but still). I just don't think the amount of the boring stuff was appropriate to be in what is effectively interactive Indiana Jones on adrenaline.

Bandit1

Just finished the game, what an amazing ride. Easily the best Uncharted for me. I really loved the sense of adventure and
exploring Libertalia.
The historical aspect of this game was my favorite of the series and I also felt like it had the best puzzles. I was pleasantly surprised that there seemed to be less combat than previous games, though there were a couple battles late in the game that were a bit frustrating. Overall I'm blown away by how good the game looks and the amount of detail packed in. Finding and reading the letters scattered throughout the game added so much to the story
and it was tragic to see how Libertalia was destroyed from within by greed.
I really love this game.

For God and Liberty

Top Bottom