• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

I wanted that to happen SO bad. I figured
Alcazar's men were keeping tabs on Sam and would confront Rafe + Nadine's crew and Sam/Nate/Sully/Elena, Libertalia would become a warzone again, then SUDDENLY ZOMBIE PIRATES OMG WHY IS AVERY'S SHIP MOVING, OMG WE'RE IN A WHIRLPOOL, OMG HOLY WHAT IS THAT A WHALE, OMG SWINGING SHIP TO SHIP, OMG SWORDFIGHTING AND FLINTLOCK PISTOLS, OMG.

Then: You know what Ellie, we really are greed corrupts.

But I guess we're too mature for that and people don't like ridiculous action in their ridiculous action games anymore *shrug*

Perhaps not as silly as you describe, but I also would have preferred it if they had kept the high tension and frenetic momentum of chapter 20 all the way to the end with the final boss instead of the break between. It's something that bugs me at points in the game.

Also something you said that's been irking me in the thread (jokingly or not, I've seen it being reiterated a couple of times, so read this as a general rant) is that the ending stretch had very little to do with greed. Greed was central theme of Avery's and Libertalia's story, but for Sam and Rafe, it was about their obsession with the glory and legacy they've associated with the treasure. I don't think it quite as simple as saying that greed corrupted them; their obsession (which also ties into Nate's presence) had so much more than just them coveting it.

Endo Punk

I love the quite moments and the semi serious story. Still felt like an UC game despite TLOU influences. Both this and TLOU feel like a whole new era of ND. Hate to say it because I love the UC trilogy but those were games influenced by industry trends and the need for crazy set pieces, now it feels like ND have yet again carved an identity all of their own not seen since Jak and Daxter. And yea UC4 is the best game ND have made in the last decade. Incredible experience, all 21 hours of it.

Shin-chan

Alcazar's men were keeping tabs on Sam and would confront Rafe + Nadine's crew and Sam/Nate/Sully/Elena, Libertalia would become a warzone again, then SUDDENLY ZOMBIE PIRATES OMG WHY IS AVERY'S SHIP MOVING, OMG WE'RE IN A WHIRLPOOL, OMG HOLY WHAT IS THAT A WHALE, OMG SWINGING SHIP TO SHIP, OMG SWORDFIGHTING AND FLINTLOCK PISTOLS, OMG.

But I guess we're too mature for that and people don't like ridiculous action in their ridiculous action games anymore *shrug*

In my pre release hopes and dreams I had imagined the end of the game to be Uncharted: God of War Ascension Edition.

There was so much they could do in terms of swashbuckling epic nonsense. I now know that's totally not what they were going for, but it is a shame and a missed opportunity in many ways.

valkyre

In my opinion this is the best game in the series. Although I enjoyed the quiet moments, I do get those that have issues with that.

I will agree a couple more encounters were needed here and there, particularly in one occasion I believe it was definitely needed, in the end of Chapter 12
when Nate and Sam watch the Mercs coming with boats, there could have been an action setpiece/ encounter with Shoreline storming the location were Nate/Sam have their boat and the whole idea would be that the protagonists have to go and steal back their ride so they can go off to Avery's Island, which would ofcourse lead to the boat chase.

I really believe that specific moment needed an encounter in that beautiful location.

Other than that, I found the game being an awesome experience, I had tons of fun with it. Once you master it gameplay is amazing and you pull of some pretty spectacular moves using the rope, melee and environment/guns to your advantage. Its a thrilling ride with a great story and a few pacing issues.

My favorite like I said.

zsynqx

In my opinion this is the best game in the series. Although I enjoyed the quiet moments, I do get those that have issues with that.

I will agree a couple more encounters were needed here and there, particularly in one occasion I believe it was definitely needed, in the end of Chapter 12
when Nate and Sam watch the Mercs coming with boats, there could have been an action setpiece/ encounter with Shoreline storming the location were Nate/Sam have their boat and the whole idea would be that the protagonists have to go and steal back their ride so they can go off to Avery's Island, which would ofcourse lead to the boat chase.

I really believe that specific moment needed an encounter in that beautiful location.

Other than that, I found the game being an awesome experience, I had tons of fun with it. Once you master it gameplay is amazing and you pull of some pretty spectacular moves using the rope, melee and environment/guns to your advantage. Its a thrilling ride with a great story and a few pacing issues.

My favorite like I said.

Yep, if there was a big encounter there which led you onto the
boat intro
that would have been rad. That is the part of the game where even I felt was a tad slow.

They should have trimmed the
scotland
climbing down a bit as well.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Better than Uncharted 3 so far.
But man, I'd rather have had them do something else than another uncharted. All these graphics, writer and actor skill being wasted on 15 hours of wall climbing.
I might totally change my mind though by the time I finish this.

wenaldy

I thought there was
post credit scene involved 23 years old Cassie, sitting on the chair of wrecked train with gunshot wound. She looked upon the window realizing that the train was upside down. She fell down to the railing end of train, holding the railing and sarcastically murmured "ho ho ho CRAP...". The shot panned out to reveal the train indeed was about to fall and explode in the midlle of Himalayas.

Impulsor

Who here agrees with this DLC theory:

It's gonna be a Sam - Sully adventure, right after they associate at the end of the game and before the epilogue, maybe even that Cuba adventure they talk about in that letter in the coutner where they say they both quit smoking. It would be SO awesome!

RoadHazard

Gold Member

It's gonna be a Sam - Sully adventure, right after they associate at the end of the game and before the epilogue, maybe even that Cuba adventure they talk about in that letter in the coutner where they say they both quit smoking. It would be SO awesome!

That seems pretty likely, or the
Malaysia
job.

Chao

So now that the game is out and most have finished it already...

What do you think the cut set piece could have been?
I think it should be somewhere in between that long stretch without little to no action at all, although I can't remember the chapter numbers right now.
That would explain that slowly paced section.

watdaeff4

Finished up tonight.

What. A. Great. Fucking. Game.

I like all the Uncharted games, but this is my favorite. It has a great combination of all it's component parts that I don't think the others were able to pull off in the same way.

I was preparing myself to be let down a bit from all the hype, but nope, this is one of the few games that lives up to all the hype.

The Ummah

Banned

Worth the price of admission just from the banter alone. They have an interesting dynamic that has only been present for one game, so many things they can do with this setup and I'm ready!

Impulsor

Can someone tell me if there's zombies? A bit sick of fighting zombies in all 3 previous games

No zombies

Worth the price of admission just from the banter alone. They have an interesting dynamic that has only been present for one game, so many things they can do with this setup and I'm ready!

I already bought the triple pack.

That's how ready I am.

I think it should be somewhere in between that long stretch without little to no action at all, although I can't remember the chapter numbers right now.

Apparently it was cut for not fitting in the story well, and looking at the concept art...

I imagine it being
in the last chapter, it would originally have you exploring the ship , the ship would be burning and falling apart, and you fight Rafe atop a burning ship

KeRaSh

It's probably been mentioned a million times by now but I didn't have time to catch up with the thread. DLC theory (ending spoiler!):

We're playing as the daughter.
Wouldn't it be funny if they called her Lara?

i want the DLC to be about Sam's time with Rafe, or maybe even Nadine before she joined up with Rafe.

I don't think the banter ever reaches the level of playfulness of 2, but I declare the "pirate code" line the single best quip in the entire series.

valkyre

Guys I do not think that DLC will be about continuing the story were it left off.

Like TLOU i think they will go for a story in between...enriching the already told story.

It's probably been mentioned a million times by now but I didn't have time to catch up with the thread. DLC theory (ending spoiler!):

They called her Cassie already (Nate's mom)

Impulsor

I don't think that will happen, wouldn't mind though if we can play a Cassie the age his father was in Drake's Fortune, trying to find a treasure her parent's talked to her about but never got to recover themselves.

that kinda feels fitting for a whole new game though, at least in my mind

i want the DLC to be about Sam's time with Rafe, or maybe even Nadine before she joined up with Rafe.

Idon't think they will touch Nadine and Rafe from their perspective, I think the game strongly hints towards a Sam + Sully adventure, the furthest my logic lets me go is to the Malaysia job.

Guys I do not think that DLC will be about continuing the story were it left off.

Like TLOU i think they will go for a story in between...
that's why I say I think it will follow Sam + Sully's adventure right before the epilogue.

Just finished. Right there close by Uncharted 2 vying for position as my favorite in the series. I think most of the action of UC2 made more of an impression on me, but the drama of UC4 really won me over.

What a ride.

valkyre

that's why I say I think it will follow Sam + Sully's adventure right before the epilogue.
Hmm now that I am thinking more about it, yeah it could work... it doesnt sound half bad either.

As long as there is some kind of connection with the main story of the game and it doesnt feel like a "sidequest" of sorts.

But its ND and they tend to want to do meaningful things storywise, so I am sure they will make it work.

Impulsor

Hmm now that I am thinking more about it, yeah it could work... it doesnt sound half bad either.

As long as there is some kind of connection with the main story of the game and it doesnt feel like a "sidequest" of sorts.

But its ND and they tend to want to do meaningful things storywise, so I am sure they will make it work.

take into accoutn that right after Libertalia, when they are back to madagascar and before the epilogue, Sully and Sam associate, and you can read in the epilogue a letter about their journeys, kinda.

To me it feels the most natural thing to do.

Imagine the banter between sully and sam, with sully always throwing nostalgia attacks on sam about his awesome adventures with nathan, that Sam missed.

It sounds waaaay to fun to let that opportunity go!

Morue

Finished it in almost 22 hours (normal). Found only 52 treasures although I thought I searched very thorougly.

I absolutely loved it. Loved how some parts made me feel nostalgic
(the chapters with Elena brought me back to U1 and the part in the cave with Sam in Scotland reminded me of the ice cave with Tenzin in U2).
And of course, it was gorgeous...

The relationship between Nate and Sam was really well-done
and I didn't expect Sam's lie at all...

Really enjoyed
the final boss fight (although it was basically a glorified QTE, I liked how cinematic it was, and Rafe is a great villain, definitely above the villains of the other games. Didn't really care about Nadine though).

I also loved
the epilogue, it was cute and it made me happy and sad at the same time (hard to say goodbye to such fantastic characters T-T).

Anyway, if I had to rank the uncharted games, based on raw impressions:

U2 >/= U4 > U1 > U3

But the last of us is still on top of them...

nib95

Banned

I kind of think the inclusion of just one more set piece or an additional encounter or two would have perfected this game. In that sense I'm already disappointed this phantom set piece never made it.

Wish ND could retrospectively add it or something. Eg, to celebrate the Neo version, we've only gone an added this new set piece segment in to the campaign! God that would be amazing.

lawtowler

Working on my crushing playthrough now on the journey to platinum. Also using a guide this time round to pick up every collectible + optional conversation. Love the game just as much second time around. Quite glad the trophies are slightly different this time around.

I'm also surprisingly pleased with the multiplayer and I'm even more surprised to find I'm really good at it (so far)!

What I want the DLC to be:

Chloe story

Or

Story involving Nate, Sam and Sully around the time period of the Uncharted 3 flashback in Colombia up until they meet Rafe and bribe their way into the Panamanian prison

What I expect the DLC to be:

Sully & Sam post U4 ending, possibly leading up to the epilogue

m4st4

U53Sgut.jpg

Just arrived. :)

KeRaSh

They called her Cassie already (Nate's mom)

I know. I just thought it would have been funny. :D

I don't think that will happen, wouldn't mind though if we can play a Cassie the age his father was in Drake's Fortune, trying to find a treasure her parent's talked to her about but never got to recover themselves.

that kinda feels fitting for a whole new game though, at least in my mind

I wouldn't want them to build a whole game around her, though. I nice little DLC episode would be cool. Add a few new mechanics and call it a day. It would be a cheap cop out to continue the franchise that way, at least in my eyes.
Just give us Savage Starlight already! Cassie even has a poster of the sequel in her room!

Impulsor

You guys think Sony will give something away for the platinum trohpy like they did with bloodborne? Like a theme or something?

I really wish devs would do this more often. It's a simple but awesome reward for getting the plat in a game. Themes and avatars are something I've always wanted for platinums.

yeah, it even incentivizes me further to get the plat. I love my bloodborne theme! It has that added sentimental value.

valkyre

she was an awesome character in UC2, Claudia did a great job with her.

well she was cool, for sure, but I really never got into adoring her, to the point I need her in every game.

In fact in UC3 she felt like she didnt belong there.

Certainly doesnt belong in UC4 either.

well she was cool, for sure, but I really never got into adoring her, to the point I need her in every game.

I liked Chloe in UC4 because it was the only time we got four person adventuring.

That would have been amazing

Endo Punk

Funny enough I wanted to see Chloe in UC4 before playing but after, nah there's no place for her in this story. All the characters felt they belonged to tell a story ND needed to tell, Chloe's arc pretty much finished in UC2.

Nev

Banned

Take the zombie pirates out (I wouldn't mind something like that but some people apparently didn't like the supernatural elements in previous games, I loved them though) and it's actually a plausible thing. I was also expecting
some sort of confrontation between Alcazar and his men and Rafe/Nadine and theirs
, it could've added more enemy variety and a more satisfying final act now that I think about it.

They could've kept the whole thing of Sam lying in a different way too.

Endo Punk

Love how ND went against conventions despite what they did was sort of conventional too.

Expected some kind of supernatural twist but it was a straight forward adventure/treasure hunt. At one point in the cave with the exploding mummies I was scared around every corner because I fully expected one of these freako's to come to life. The fact it didn't happen was refreshing and the game didn't need it because there's already a lot of shit going on that made sense and hooked you into the story.

And not killing anyone off? That's the second time ND got me. I expected either Ellie or Joel to die but it never happened, and here I expected Sam, Sully or Elena to die and it never happened, although the trick she played on Nate was an OMG moment, so good. And you know what? Both times(TLOU&UC4) the ending was better off despite the idea I had in my head that only a death would give the emotional punch necessary. TLOU ending didn't make me teary but it was bittersweet and wonderfully executed, whereas UC4 ending felt fulfilling and the epilogue actually got me teary eyed. Just cements these ragtag bunch of characters as some of the most memorable and human in all my years of gaming (mass murdering aside lol)

Funny enough I wanted to see Chloe in UC4 before playing but after, nah there's no place for her in this story. All the characters felt they belonged to tell a story ND needed to tell, Chloe's arc pretty much finished in UC2.

well seeing as how they at least have people like Chloe, Charlie and Tenzin in the multiplayer, hopefully they'll be playable in the future co-op missions.

Love how ND went against conventions despite what they did was sort of conventional too.

Expected some kind of supernatural twist but it was a straight forward adventure/treasure hunt. At one point in the cave with the exploding mummies I was scared around every corner because I fully expected one of these freako's to come to life. The fact it didn't happen was refreshing and the game didn't need it because there's already a lot of shit going on that made sense and hooked you into the story.

And not killing anyone off? That's the second time ND got me. I expected either Ellie or Joel to die but it never happened, and here I expected Sam, Sully or Elena to die and it never happened, although the trick she played on Nate was an OMG moment, so good. And you know what? Both times(TLOU&UC4) the ending was better off despite the idea I had in my head that only a death would give the emotional punch necessary. TLOU ending didn't make me teary but it was bittersweet and wonderfully executed, whereas UC4 ending felt fulfilling and the epilogue actually got me teary eyed. Just cements these ragtag bunch of characters as some of the most memorable and human in all my years of gaming (mass murdering aside lol)

I feel much the same way. Straley and Druckmann said before about the TLOU ending that they wanted to achieve a "honest ending", and those words really stuck with me till now. I don't think they would shy away from character deaths given the right opportunity, but they understand that fundamentally, they shouldn't use the ending to just milk or provoke emotions.

Top Bottom