• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Loudninja

Combat has been great so far, when you really look around the options are pretty huge, lots so places to go ,weapons to pick up and mechanics,

Y'know something, I don't think the soundtrack is bad, in fact there are quite a few good tracks on it (this makes me want to rope swing in real life), but the main menu is like anti-hype. Turning on UC2 for singleplayer sessions and hearing Nate's Theme is still so good. Or loading up a multiplayer match back then while Reunion cued in the background relaxing the hell out of me before I shot everyone in the face. Or The City's Secret. Or Marco Polo. The UC4 menu doesn't get me going like these did. Jackson's solid with ambience and action music, but it's really missing that exotic, adventurous longing that Edmonson had in his work.

EDIT: Or something like this forgotten gem god tier synth + woodwind/flute/whatever cue I heard during my Uncharted 1 Remaster playthrough

Keihart

Ok, i think my ranking would be :

UC4>UC3>UC2>UC1

Best set pieces are in 3 by a mile i think.
UC4 set pieces are a lot more organic tho, lots of times "set pieces" are interwined in normal gameplay moments and very brief.

I guess i do like the progression of the series.

Ricker

Okay saw some of you guys tips on the Madagascar Painting puzzle,I think I get it now for that last part,will try this morning before heading out.

Moozo

Y'know something, I don't think the soundtrack is bad, in fact there are quite a few good tracks on it (this makes me want to rope swing in real life), but the main menu is like anti-hype. Turning on UC2 for singleplayer sessions and hearing Nate's Theme is still so good. Or loading up a multiplayer match back then while Reunion cued in the background relaxing the hell out of me before I shot everyone in the face. Or The City's Secret. Or Marco Polo. The UC4 menu doesn't get me going like these did. Jackson's solid with ambience and action music, but it's really missing that exotic, adventurous longing that Edmonson had in his work.

Agree. One of the main disappointments for me. Nate's Theme just sounded like it wasn't even trying (although
I did like the variation in the epilogue
) and even the end credits music was incredibly flat.

I also thought the ambient stuff missed a few key spots where it seemed like it was going to come in, TLOU style, on the poignant, slower moments, but it never did. That made the first few chapters drag a bit more than they would have done.

Keihart

Agree. One of the main disappointments for me. Nate's Theme just sounded like it wasn't even trying (although
I did like the variation in the epilogue
) and even the end credits music was incredibly flat.

I also thought the ambient stuff missed a few key spots where it seemed like it was going to come in, TLOU style, on the poignant, slower moments, but it never did. That made the first few chapters drag a bit more than they would have done.

I don't like the tittle screen either but i did like how they used the theme as an "insert song" in important moments
, like in the ending when Nate has the idea of shooting the canon.

James93

Finished the game last night. Its another masterpiece by ND. It far more grounded in reality which is a nice change of pace. The only issues I had was the uneven passing which is par for the course with ND. The end fight was awful.

EDIT: Or something like this forgotten gem god tier synth + woodwind/flute/whatever cue I heard during my Uncharted 1 Remaster playthrough
I wonder if it was done on purpose because Nathan isn't actively seeking adventure?

Did they make the soundtrack to mimic him being reluctantly pulled back in?

Ricky_R

I'm pretty early in the game (Chapter 6 I believe), and I gotta say that I'm really enjoying the soundtrack. I'm actually surprised since I've being pretty aware of it so far and I normally don't pay too much attention to it and it just goes unnoticed on the background.

It has a movie/heist kind of vibe that I'm really liking. Subtle, but with force when needed.

Finished it last night.

+ Graphics and art design
+ Drake and Elena is the GOAT couple, just fun to spend time with
+ Epilogue is touching and reminds me of
Left Behind
in terms of narrative technique
+ The way the environments heighten and reflect Drake's inner experience a la Romantic poetry, Dr. Caligari, etc.
+ The rope
+ The attempt to elevate the Uncharted narrative to something personal and conclusive
+ Sam's character
+ The new musical theme
++++++Attention to detail

- Automatic, danger proof platforming
- Simulated, 95% pointless exploration
- Lack of big set pieces and fun in general
- Stale, clunky combat
- Garbage boss fight

Stunningly beautiful on the outside, but basically just empty calories. I do like the moodiness throughout, I just wish there was more fun to be had. Now I'll lend it to some friends and wait to see what the SP DLC looks like.

7/10

dalin80

Banned
I still can't recall U4 actually having any music, used to leave the previous games on the menu screen to just chill and get in the mood but 4 is just really empty in that regard.

Vashetti

Banned
Question: Are the various pre-order DLC codes for skins and weapon packs, etc. 'exclusive'? Or can you unlock it all in the game?

The Rizza

I see a lot of people saying that the ending was predictable, but
also saying that they expected one of the main heroes to die. Wouldn't the fact that no one significant died make it unpredictable then? Either way,
I loved the game and had a blast playing it from top to bottom. Also really enjoying the multiplayer for the time being til Overwatch comes out.

Bandit1

I've gotta say the checkpoint system in this game was fantastic. In a combat encounter it seemed to always save at your last point of hiding/stealth instead of redoing the whole encounter, which was very helpful and allowed you to take a few chances with how you approached the rest of the fight.

Ricker

Arggg I hate those puzzles...chapter 12 now,why can I only rotate one row when it looks like I need 6 row of moving and turning...I can only get the W in the right spot...(in the light)

U53Sgut.jpg

Just arrived. :)

what the fuck is this?

Oh shit that's right I forgot to mention

Why was there no character twist in this? Like some of the pirates coming to life to kill you etc. I was awaiting the infamous twist

After all is said and done:

U2>U4>U3>U1>GA(lol)

Damn if 4 just had more combat it would easily be my favorite. Instead it has cool-off chapters to cool off from the previous cool-off chapters.

Like why was the in-media-res opening there? It didn't work nearly as well as Uncharted 2's, and that section would have been so much better served in its rightful chapter that was just begging for some action to cap it off before you go off and do another hour of exploring.

I'm also bummed we didn't get any combat during that glorious
strom
in the next chapter, since it looked so good. I think it would have greatly aided the story too since
Drake being lost in a storm without Sam having to fight through a bunch of guys
would have added so much to your sense of desperation. I think you
find Sam too quickly after that. They should have had more action and waited longer until the flashlight signal from him

The Lamp

U2>U4>U3>U1>GA(lol)

Damn if 4 just had more combat it would easily be my favorite. Instead it has cool-off chapters to cool off from the previous cool-off chapters.

Like why was the in-media-res opening there? It didn't work nearly as well as Uncharted 2's, and that section would have been so much better served in its rightful chapter that was just begging for some action to cap it off before you go off and do another hour of exploring.

strom
in the next chapter, since it looked so good. I think it would have greatly aided the story too since
find Sam too quickly after that. They should have had more action and waited longer until the flashlight signal from him

Yep, that's my exact ranking too.

Oh shit that's right I forgot to mention

Why was there no character twist in this? Like some of the pirates coming to life to kill you etc. I was awaiting the infamous twist

If the treasure had a supernatural element that would have made Nate need to find it and stop the bad guy, which would undermine the point of the story.
I would have liked it for gameplay variety, but I think it was a great choice for the story.

U2>U4>U3>U1>GA(lol)

strom

Strange decision for sure. I was so ready for it and then I was treated to a bunch of dull platforming. I didn't like it as the opener either, but I guess it served as one of the tutorials.

Strange decision for sure. I was so ready for it and then I was treated to a bunch of dull platforming. I didn't like it as the opener, but I guess it served as one of the tutorials.

I wouldnt have minded at all if they made us play that section again like 2 did (hell, make it even longer), at that point I was thirsting for some action.

klier

I am about to finish the story, and quite frankly I am pretty disappointed.

It's U2 on steroids. Nothing new. Same stupid puzzles all the time. Same stupid boxes to pull/push.
Retarded underground part with the torches and exploding mummies
, enemies that never spot any NPC, no matter if right in front of them.
Focus on graphics in this game, and not much else. And we had seen the biggest set piece like a year before the game came out.

The shooting and climbing is quite excellent though. The story lame, the puzzles lame, the non stop NPCs around you: lame.

And probably worst, the parts where you have to pull up some debris with your partner to go further. Happens freaking every 100 meters.

The graphics however, are sometimes just utterly insane. So much detail, such good lighting, so many nice particals, such pretty foilage.

U2 >>>>>>>>>> U4 >U3 >U1

U2,3,4 are pretty much the same game. No progress whatsoever.

Keihart

U2>U4>U3>U1>GA(lol)

strom

Yeah, i would of liked for Drake to get even more abused, i mean , the whole trip to save Sully in 3 is way more dramatic and has more action. I really think that the only problem with the game is that they really never let off the restrain necesary for the more grounded moments.

The only similar moment is in madagascar and it doesn't last too long, it needed something similar towards the end, the cool off chapter before the end was weird althogh it made sense with the story.

Basically, climaxes were too short although the build up was always great. heh

Unknown?

U2>U4>U3>U1>GA(lol)

strom

I'd give a slight edge to U4 over U2 but pretty much how I feel. Needed a little more combat but it felt more of an adventure than any of them by far!

Basically, climaxes were too short although the build up was always great. heh

Was there any build up tho? The fights are so sparse and short that they're basically all "climaxes" with no escalation of combat culminating in some crazy encounter. The only set piece that felt like it felt like a cap on an action scene was the
killer armored car chasing you in chapter 20 after a series of 3 or 4 gunfights

Man I really wish Sony/Naughty Dog would get Nathan Drake's belt buckle from 2 up on their store.
I got 3's with that special edition and the pirate buckle from 1 is generic and recently found one on the Internet.

Might get the watch soon.

Riozaki

Banned

U2>U4>U3>U1>GA(lol)

strom

ND need to read your post. This is the biggest issue with the game and I keep saying that over and over and over again hoping for someone in ND is reading this and do not do the same mistake with the DLC or their next game.

Keihart

Was there any build up tho? The fights are so sparse and short that they're basically all "climaxes" with no escalation of combat culminating in some crazy encounter. The only set piece that felt like it felt like a cap on an action scene was the
killer armored car chasing you in chapter 20 after a series of 3 or 4 gunfights

yeah, that was some of the better ones. To answer you question, yes , i think there were build ups, like every couple of episodes things would start with slow exploration building up from small to bigger encounters with some exploration between and then a big move on the narrative with some action to finish.

The points i remeber best as climaxes after build ups are the prison scape, Nadine fight and escape, Scottland escape, Nadine fight 2 , the madagastar Sam chase and Sam's Rescue. The formula repeats several times over the game.

No vulcano setpiece tho, that was a shame.

Fbh

Finished it!.

Overall I loved it. It's nearly everything I wanted a next gen sequel and the final chapter of Drake's story to be:

Liked:

- Holy mother of god those graphics. In visual presentation ND are just on a tier of their own. The vistas, the textures, lighting, destructible elements, clean IQ, the god-tier animations,etc.
We have had some looker this gen but I've never pressed the share button so frequently as now. Hell, I was often using photo mode not to take pictures but simply to get a good look at the environments and locations

- Said it in another posts but it's games like this and The Witcher 3 which just make me realize that in videogames it's often not the story you are telling that counts but HOW you are telling it. The actual plot in this is your standard treasure hunter adventure, but it's in the dialog, the scenes, the banter when exploring, the locations and what happens in them that really make this as enjoyable as it is. It's a great mix of progressing the story with a mix of cutscenes and in game scenarios and it just works

- Combat is great. I allways enjoyed how these games played but this is the first time I an honestly say that during combat it's a solid TPS. Loved the weapon handling and specially the visual feedback when shooting enemies. And the level design during these encounters is great, there are many places to move around and different angles from where to attack. Combined with enemies that move around and destructible cover it forces you to move around and doesn't incentivize you to stay put in one place for too long.
The one thing with the combat being as good as it is is that....

Disliked:

... I just wish there was more of it. Not too much, mind you, I think having an encounter ever 10 minutes would have gotten tiresome. But I would have liked a bit less areas focused on moving crates around and have them replaced with a few more enemy encounters. It's also hurting the replay value, getting from A to B is going to be pretty similar in future playtrhoughs, same for the simple puzzles. But the combat feels dynamic and as if encounters could play out in various ways.

- A bit too much motion blur for my taste. Specially when moving the camera

But as I said, all in all I loved the game. I can see how this will be pretty divise in the future, I actually think there is a pretty good chance that a year or two from now reactions to Uncharted 4 will be similar to Bioshock Infinite (a game everyone loved during launch and that got amazing reviews, but that now is often met with dislike by some). Because for people for whom gameplay is everything that matters I can see this not being the masterpiece it's being called right now.
But I personally enjoy games like these, there is a lack of challenge or skill requiered to move around the locations, but exploring them, moving around them, jumping from ledges and using your rope, the cool setpiece moments, the way the story is told, the fantastic vistas and moving from one cool are to the other.... it's just really fun and I had a blast with this. If it wasn't for Bloodborne, I think I would have my game of the gen.

yeah, that was some of the better ones. To answer you question, yes , i think there were build ups, like every couple of episodes things would start with slow exploration building up from small to bigger encounters with some exploration between and then a big move on the narrative with some action to finish.

The points i remeber best as climaxes after build ups are the prison scape, Nadine fight and escape, Scottland escape, Nadine fight 2 , the madagastar Sam chase and Sam's Rescue. The formula repeats several times over the game.

110% agree.

The Lamp

That was the worst. They kept teasing the volcano and it never happened. Missed opportunity. Maybe that's the one setpiece that got cut.

That was the worst. They kept teasing the volcano and it never happened. Missed opportunity. Maybe that's the one setpiece that got cut.

I suppose that you can't have the E3 set piece and vulcano back to back and if there's ever one, one of the two should get cut. I mean, I don't know how it would fit while you're at Madagascar... certainly should have been after the E3 set piece and not before.

It could have been awesome tho.

Keihart

I suppose that you can't have the E3 set piece and vulcano back to back and if there's ever one, one of the two should get cut. I mean, I don't know how it would fit while you're at Madagascar... certainly should have been after the E3 set piece and not before.

It could have been awesome tho.

I'm sure they could have made it work, but then you have people saying that it feels too disjoynted and stuff.

I'm sure they could have made it work, but then you have people saying that it feels too disjoynted and stuff.

Well, Cruise set piece in 3 is known for being one of the best althought people say that the whole chapter is nonsensical to the story. Don't know if who say that are the same people tho.

Top Bottom