• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Grassy

At Chapter 12 now, my God is this game gorgeous. I love the new pacing of the game too, more exploration and puzzles- less giant arenas that signal murder mayhem time.

I only just made it to Chapter 12 as well, I've been spending way too much time in photo mode. I'm also really enjoying the pacing, it feels perfect to me. Lots of exploration/slower moments to take everything in with some hectic combat sections every now and then. Chapter 11 was insane.

Nev

Banned
The stealth in this game is so fucking bad. I'm trying to get the scotland cemetery trophy and i's terrible, absolutely terrible. Don't put stealth mechanics in your game when you don't know how stealth mechanics work.
Not being able to hide bodies is a complete joke, too.

Edit: I give up, what a frustrating piece of sh...

I completed most encounters using stealth in hard and crushing until there were like 2-3 guys left, sometimes the entire encounter without even being noticed, Scotland being one of those. They know their stealth mechanics more than just fine as proved by The Last of Us and Uncharted 4, with TLoU specifically having a very robust stealth system.

Don't blame the developers for your lack of ability.

Dunno whats wrong with me right now, just not enjoying this at all. Every time I play it I wish I was playing something and its just not holding my attention. For context, I have played through all 4 previous UC's and got the platinums, so I dunno.

likely explanation: the game's problem isn't just one of pacing, but also of tone. much too reflective/somber for it's own good - really undermines the 'okay! time for another crazy, over-the-top adventure!', gung-ho tone of all the previous games...

Ratrat

I completed most encounters using stealth in hard and crushing until there were like 2-3 guys left, sometimes the entire encounter without even being noticed, Scotland being one of those. They know their stealth mechanics more than just fine as proved by The Last of Us and Uncharted 4, with TLoU specifically having a very robust stealth system.

No it sucks. No brick, the way enemies can see you when you are not even in sight, the way the alert system works. There is a complete lack of options besides waiting for enemies to come close to a cliff or patch of tall grass. Its not even about being hard, as I imagine playing stealthily makes crushing more manageable.

Betty

Banned
People complaining about the stealth? It's on of the better examples of stealth i've seen in a game, very satisfying.

I do agree that there should be a way to distract guards by throwing stones or something.

Lmao, sure.

Menaged

UC4 did the quite moments really well for me and I actually enjoyed the platforming. I don't even bother pressing X to climb faster because I really love the way Nate moves from one handhold to the next.

Heh, I played it exactly the same :)
It's really nice to see how Nate's reaching for the next handhold.

TitusTroy

I'm up to Chapter 18...the lush jungle environments are simply stunning...this is right up there with Far Cry 1 and Crysis as far as rendering of a jungle/forest area...and this is all being done on a PS4!...Naughty Dog deserves a lot of credit for what they're able to do as far as graphics processing power for a console...starting with Chapter 6 every chapter seems to be very long...the aiming sucks for some reason compared to the previous Uncharted games...doesn't seem as smooth and I seem to be dying more (although maybe playing on Hard difficulty is also a factor)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
i read there were some trophy problems in uncharted? are they gone with the recent patches?

Supposedly the peaceful resolution trophy can glitch for some, but I'm pretty sure that 'glitch' is just Sam killing enemies offscreen. He can do that if an enemy is in alert state (yellow).

I played through the 2 encounters in ch14 full stealth and got the trophy.

The other 'problems' are exploits. You can get the speedrunner/accuracy/crushing trophies in 5 minutes this way.

The stealth in this game is so fucking bad. I'm trying to get the scotland cemetery trophy and i's terrible, absolutely terrible. Don't put stealth mechanics in your game when you don't know how stealth mechanics work.
Not being able to hide bodies is a complete joke, too.

Edit: I give up, what a frustrating piece of sh...

Stealth is quite good for an action adventure game.

My semi-stealth video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3EsywiRlaM

RedAssedApe

Banned
Man. After having a day to digest the game after beating it...I feel empty. What game is going to be able to fill that void now? 😭

The game was so right about that...lol

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm up to Chapter 18...the lush jungle environments are simply stunning...this is right up there with Far Cry 1 and Crysis as far as rendering of a jungle/forest area...and this is all being done on a PS4!
So strong, being able to match a game from 2004.

Blablurn

Supposedly the peaceful resolution trophy can glitch for some, but I'm pretty sure that 'glitch' is just Sam killing enemies offscreen. He can do that if an enemy is in alert state (yellow).

I played through the 2 encounters in ch14 full stealth and got the trophy.

The other 'problems' are exploits. You can get the speedrunner/accuracy/crushing trophies in 5 minutes this way.

gracias!

m4st4

Until Dawn - the walking (at a crawl speed) simulator with occasional QTE.

Uncharted 4 - 3rd person shooter/adventure game with occasional puzzle/climbing section.

Raysod

Banned
I am on my second playthrough in the game in my way to get the platinum trophy.

The game has very weak game mechanics wrapted around amazing visuals.

My main complaint is that i expected more from the producers of LoUs in the story and in enemy design/AI.

They did amazing things with last of us and in comparison Uncharted 4 feels like a generic third person platformer with some shooting, with long chapters with minimum interactivity, clearly designed to appeal to the masses.

I have platinumed all Uncharted gamed and this was the first gane that I felt bored.

Maybe the long story sections didn't grow on me because Sam as a character is as generic as it can get, and the way ND tries to make the player grow feelings for him is stupid.

And after experiencing the second part of the game I felt dreadful to go and replay some of the early chapters.

I could exchange the first 3 chapters for one clock tower chapter. Clock tower is an example if how they could evolve platforming but as a chapter is a drop in an ocean of grneric platforming.

And OMG the sliding...

Anyway U4 is a great tech demo of what the best guys in the business can do, but as a game I am a bit disappointed.

Uncharted 2 remains my favorite by far.

And a question.

Do we know how the game did sales wise?

No press realease from Sony that the title sold x milion copies or bring y million dollars in its first ten days on the market makes me think that it did not sold very well.

And we are talking for the game with the biggest marketing budget in the history of Sony.

And please my beloved ND, do not make LoU 2 as generic as U4!!!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

No press realease from Sony that the title sold x milion copies or bring y million dollars in its first ten days on the market makes me think that it did not sold very well.
You are going to be disappointed.

Jacob4815

Finished. One of the best games I ever played in my life.

The pace was perfect to me. Not a fan of the shooting in previous Unchy, so glad they removed so many firefights and the infinite waves of enemies.

This game gave me the feels of a legit adventure game, I was amazed all the time.

Naugthy Gods. I can't wait for Last of Us 2.

My main complaint is that i expected more from the producers of LoUs in the story and in enemy design/AI.

They did amazing things with last of us and in comparison Uncharted 4 feels like a generic third person platformer with some shooting, with long chapters with minimum interactivity, clearly designed to appeal to the masses.

I have platinumed all Uncharted gamed and this was the first gane that I felt bored.

Maybe the long story sections didn't grow on me because Sam as a character is as generic as it can get, and the way ND tries to make the player grow feelings for him is stupid.

And after experiencing the second part of the game I felt dreadful to go and replay some of the early chapters.

I could exchange the first 3 chapters for one clock tower chapter. Clock tower is an example if how they could evolve platforming but as a chapter is a drop in an ocean of grneric platforming.

And OMG the sliding...

Anyway U4 is a great tech demo of what the best guys in the business can do, but as a game I am a bit disappointed.

And a question.

And we are talking for the game with the biggest marketing budget in the history of Sony.

Something about your comment doesn't sit right with me :p

And a question.

UK + JP + Spain = 400k

Its doing extremely well so far.

Raysod

Banned
You are going to be disappointed.

Do you think that it will sell more than 6-7 million in its lifetime?

With 40 mil PS4s out there how many players of the install base you think that will buy the game?

I still wait for a Sony first party title to sale more than 3-4 mil in this generation.

Do you think that it will sell more than 6-7 million in its lifetime?

With 40 mil PS4s out there how many players of the install base you think that will buy the game?

I still wait for a Sony first party title to sale more than 3-4 mil in this generation.

More then 6-7 million? Yea, should be easy. It'll probably be at 3 million by it's first month if the sales numbers we have are an indication.

Raysod

Banned
Something about your comment doesn't sit right with me :p

U4 is designed as a game to be appealing to the masses. Its more a movie than an action shooter.

TLOU is a different beast in many areas. (story, game mechanics, enemy AI, crafting system ecth).

Going from TLOU into U4 is a downgrade of what ND achieved in TLOU in many areas.

I don't want TLOU2 to be a quick time event festival/with walking simulator chapters with a generic story on top, in order to make better sales.

cackhyena

My semi-stealth video:

Nice. Yeah, I don't get people's complaints. I'm all about stealth in games, I'm not expecting a fully featured system layed on top of what Uncharted already does. I'm not looking at the addition of it in this as an alternative. It's just meant to cull the herd.
U4 is designed as a game to be appealing to the masses. Its more a movie than an action shooter.

TLOU is a different beast in many areas. (story, game mechanics, enemy AI, crafting system ecth).

Going from TLOU into U4 is a downgrade of what ND achieved in TLOU in many areas.

I don't want TLOU2 to be a quick time event festival/with walking simulator chapters with a generic story on top, in order to make better sales.

You really like the word generic, huh.

Oh hell yes. Like
RDR's Undead Nightmare
. You leave the main game untouched and congruent, but the DLC can just go crazy with it.

Have the treasure
be cursed and it attracts the ghosts of pirates who died while seeking fortune, and use that to bring Eddy Raja back. Pirate ghosts can only be defeated with old-school pirate weapons — the flintlock pistol and sword take center stage

Final battle =
sword fight with Ghost!Avery on the top sails of a ghost ship,
and then it's revealed Nate is (ENDING SPOILER)
embellishing the story of 4 to Cassie
Metaphorically
Nate was fighting the ghosts of dead pirates all along. Exploding mummies. Floors that cave in. Other booby traps in general.

Whoa.

The pacing from the end of chapter 7 to the beginning of chapter 8 is pretty good with the escalation in 7 and then combat encounters are quickly sprinkled out in Sxotland. I'm loving my second play through.

I was of the opinion that UC2 was still king but playing this at the same time as UC2, I find the combat so much better. I replayed the Scotland first encounter like 10 times and it played out in 10 different ways and that's one of the smaller arenas! UC2 doesn't have that type of dynamism although the encounters are still excellent. UC4 is honestly some of the best TPS gameplay I've ever experienced.

nib95

Banned

My semi-stealth video:

Commented on this before, but I don't think some people are giving the game enough credit for its implementation of stealth. What it might lack with things like throwing bricks or bottles to distract enemies, or hide bodies anywhere etc, it makes up for with a crazy amount of mobility and traversal options that facilitate stealth, as well as other mechanics like the ropeswing, grass, cover system, contextual stealth attacks, arena design etc. This video illustrates that perfectly. There's no way you could do some of these things in games like Last of Us or MGSV, not with this same degree of fluidity and dynamism, so what it loses in certain features it makes up for in others. ND was clearly aiming for a different type of combat flow with this game.

You can actually get through many of the major gunfights in the game without being spotted or even attacking or killing a single enemy. Scotland outside the cathedral, the jungle encounters, two of the major Libertalia encounters etc. You can completely stealth through all of these.

Raysod

Banned
You really like the word generic, huh.

generic is the right word I think to describe a lot of design choises in Uncharted 4.

Really can you tell me how U4 advanced the third person action adventure genre gameplay wise?

Its biggest advances in game mechanics is the borrowing from tomb raider of the grappling hook, the rope and the nail to grap on in middle of platform jumps.

I expected more from ND, i am a fan of their work since crash bandicoot, and i just write why i felt a bit let down from U4.

The constant praising of this kind of game design will bring an even simpler U5 in the future.

cackhyena

generic is the right word I think to describe a lot of design choises in Uncharted 4.

Really can you tell me how U4 advanced the third person action adventure genre gameplay wise?

Its biggest advances in game mechanics is the borrowing from tomb raider of the grappling hook, the rope and the nail to grap on in middle of platform jumps.

I expected more from ND, i am a fan of their work since crash bandicoot, and i just write why i felt a bit let down from U4.

The constant praising of this kind of game design will bring an even simpler U5 in the future.
I don't expect our want a 5. I wasn't expecting revolutionary gameplay from the 4th game in a series. I'll take them "borrowing" simple additions like rope and piton. The character development is way better done in this game. It's a great way to end it. Combat was improved to me. *¯_(ツ)_/¯*

Jennipeg

I don't think it does advance anything gameplay wise. There are some nice additions and some more exploratory areas but nothing revolutionary. As the 4th game in the series it does enough to differentiate itself from the previous 3, I don't play it feeling like it's just another uncharted. The character work is more nuanced than in previous games and offers a fitting send off for the characters we love. To close out a franchise that is exactly what I wanted.

I also don't want or expect UC5, that's the point, we are saying goodbye to this franchise here.

valkyre

And OMG the sliding...

And a question.

Lmao, so uncharted 4 is classified as "generic" with all the additions in gameplay mechanics in every aspect of the gameplay, but magically U2 is just perfect and not "generic" at all!! "Generic" is the new "evolution"!

Well based on this "logic" i hope ND makes TLOU2 generic as hell!

Ps: the gact that some people take TLOU as the game that should be compared to UC4 in order to determine the evolution of the Uncharted franchise is hilarious. Lets put infected pirates in Uncharted 4, lets include crafting and bricks!

S-God

Neo Member

I don't really understand what generic means for you. I for one think that they evolved their gameplay quite a bit with the open combat areas, better melee combat without the constant prompts or qte, more flexible movement/traversal options and much better shooting mechanics when compared to their previous games. Not to forget the more intuitive and varied puzzles.

The only thing I can think lacking in this game was the
lack of unique set pieces
Most of the ones except for the chase sequence were done before in previous uncharteds.

Why should any game be expected to 'advance' an entire genre and then criticized when you personally feel it doesn't do that?

"This pizza is delicious and really well made but it still is a pizza and didn't relvolutionize dinner. 7/10"

Making things more interesting isn't good storytelling? I still don't see how it would detract from the themes. They still stand just fine. The supernatural is just an explanation for why Libertalia basically self destructed. Reason to include it? Sam wants a Nate Drake adventure the supernatural is pretty much synonymous with that. I mean I spent the entire game waiting for it to happen. Plus it doesn't change the message in any way, it depart even cheapen it a bit. Rafe is still as psycho as ever and Avery and Tew still end up killing each other over treasure while trying to leave. I also disagree about the catalyst. It's more an affirmation. Nate already knows he doesn't need this life, and if not for Sam's lie he wouldn't even be here. He leaned this in U3. In terms of done the general plot of long lost sibling better: FFIX, in a way Frozen handles the same themes of sibling strife much better. Long lost siblings is troped to hell and back, especially jealous, backstabby ones. U4's plot does nothing new, I saw everything coming from a mile away. Nothing surprised me. The character interactions are the highlight and are well done. You are right about this not having been done in this specific genre, but I'm positive if you look at film and books you will see even the themes handled far better. And honestly it's Sam and Rafe struggling. Nate doesn't actually care. From the moment Sam's lie was exposed he checked out.

Something that's interesting in its own right doesn't mean it works for a story. And you keep saying it wouldn't change the themes but it absolutely would. Sure Avery and Tew would still kill each other over treasure, but that's not the point, the whole point is why they do it, and if the "why" is because some supernatural force turned them crazy makes it no longer have any relevance to the theme whatsoever. And if it were supernatural maybe Nate would come to the realization that he can never leave this life because there could always be some dangerous treausure out there that could fall into the wrong hands. I stand by that it adds zero to the character or theme of the story, and only detracts from it. Sam wanting a Nate Drake adventure is not a good reason at all to include it because aGain a huge point of the story is that this is not a classic Nate Drake adventure. Besides the supernatural element was feeling pretty rote anyway, and the subversion here was more interesting.

And I assure you, I have watched lots of movies and read many books and I have not encounters a story that handles these themes in this type of framework before. Film is the closest analogue for this, and if you rattle of the action adventure movies you will notice that none of them use these themes like this. You have to go to something like Lawrence of Arabia for an introspective character based adventure yarn, and thematically that is about something totally different. You yourself say the character interactions are the highlight of the story, which is the entire point because the story is entirely character driven. And I would hardly classify Sam as the cliched jealous, backstabby sibling. He lies to Nate, but that's so they can do something together.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The pacing from the end of chapter 7 to the beginning of chapter 8 is pretty good with the escalation in 7 and then combat encounters are quickly sprinkled out in Sxotland. I'm loving my second play through.

I was of the opinion that UC2 was still king but playing this at the same time as UC2, I find the combat so much better. I replayed the Scotland first encounter like 10 times and it played out in 10 different ways and that's one of the smaller arenas! UC2 doesn't have that type of dynamism although the encounters are still excellent. UC4 is honestly some of the best TPS gameplay I've ever experienced.

That's been my experience too. I'm finding the campaign to be surprisingly replayable, mainly because I'm going through at a far faster clip than I did on my first run. Traversal and combat both benefit hugely when played at speed.

Top Bottom