• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

barit

Game is freaking masterpiece so far. Never seen such a perfect polished game. Technically it's on another planet imo. No popups, no missing AF, no low textures, no loading, almost no jaggies, just a clean image all the time with constant 30fps. Mindblowing. And I really like the sound desgin. Gunfire and explosions have never sound better on my Pulse headset.

And the best thing is the MP part. It runs so smooth in 60fps and is so damn fun. I see me playing this game for a long time.

5 hours in and forcing myself to sleep but god damn I don't want to.

lol @ the idea of this game having a 'slow' beginning.

God forbid a game have some set up. The part that is probably the 'slowest' is such a treat for fans of this series and incredible in its authenticity.

The game is a marvel on so many levels.

Started at 5AM this morning and have been playing on and off. Up to Chapter 5 now. Story wise, so far, it's fantastic. These sort of games are my cup of tea. You can certainly see The Last of Us's influence on this game, it's closer to TLoU than previous Uncharted's, but then I suppose TLoU itself was an evolution on Uncharted anyway.

Honestly, the game hasn't blown me away. I've got more wow out of Sapienza in Hitman than this game has given me so far. That's not to say the wow isn't there, it's just hasn't been as hyped as the media would make out. Very much an evolution not a revolution.

Some spoiler complaints:

Can't take the toy guns out of the attic and attack Elaina :(

Only one go at one level of Crash :( And it's an early level I hated, barely got the warm practices out the way. I suppose for story reasons this makes sense. - still :(

Some non spoiler praise:
When the character animation is on point, it's on point. The facial expressions of young Nate were a joy to behold. Reflections off skin, etc. give you that momentary wow.

The in game cut scene rendering is absolutely amazing stuff. Traditional video cut scenes break the fluidity of the games, even when the timing in and out of the cut scene is extremely polished (I think games like GTA V and Sleeping Dogs might have been good at this from memory). But this is an whole other level.

The physics, size, depth, width, of the world - especially in open spaces, is breathtaking. Walking through foliage has a realism feel that's hard to describe.

Spoiler praise:
Nate's loft! I had to explore every last item there. The memories!!!

Conclusion:
Looking forward to completing the game. Thoroughly enjoying it. It has some great moments. It's Naughty Dog, It's Uncharted. But, based on all I've seen so far, I'm not ready to jump on the something special, next level, band wagon.

Nice, there's an Uncharted 4 preset on the Playstation Headphones companion app now. My Gold headset is ready.

Cant wait for this to arrive today. Come on, UPS.

Hoo-doo

Banned
From what ive watched so far on twitch, the first few hours are boring as fuck. It does get better though.

I think this'll depend heavily in how invested you are in the characters and story.

I'm really not interested in full-blown 100% setpieces from the first minute. I want to fully engage myself with the characters I know and love.

Farewell

Wow amazing game so far, really love it! The only thing that bothers is the sky, it has little dots all over it, weird, you know what i mean? Cant be the monitor i think, because looks the same in a screenshot.

The opening hours are amazing imo. I'm actually bummed out by all the combat now.
I really need to force myself to get a few hours of sleep but the best tip I can give about the combat, especially as you progress, is move around. Force yourself to move around. A lot.

It feels really weird at first because of the series this game is in, but climb and flank all the time. You've got a lot more room than you may even realize. The more I stealth/climb, the more satisfying it has been.

You probably already know this but after forcing myself to do this the enjoyment of the combat went up exponentially. It feels really dynamic and exciting now instead of just hiding behind a stone wall.

The character stuff is so ridiculously great that I too am desperate for more.

nib95

Banned
Very much an evolution not a revolution.

Not to just completely disregard your opinions or anything, but this particular point stuck out. Of course it's an evolution, the clue is in the title of the game; Uncharted 4. I think the game is as much of an evolution as one could expect from a sequel, in-fact I think ND went above and beyond with respect to changes and new mechanics. From the new ropeswing mechanic, vehicle segments, rock pick, much improved stealth, open linear segments, expanded exploration, underwater swimming, improved combat design and so on. It feels familiar and welcome, but in reality it's actually a fairly noteworthy improvement or departure from past games in the franchise.

Rozart

Finally picked up my special edition! Gosh, the steelbook is gorgeous.

qoGgtOA.jpg

BbXZNI1.jpg

pDd4b0T.jpg

Tainted

Up to Chapter 10...just over 6hrs played, really enjoying it so far. The best Uncharted in the series easily, the pacing is fantastic, I am having trouble putting it down.

It's hard to resist the urge to take screenshots every 5 minutes. This game is so gorgeous

wenaldy

8UEyeeV.jpg

So my copy just arrived and I had to drive 130km to my sister's flat (she borrowed my PS4) just to play this baby. I gave it a nice front seat and hoping I don't crash into cows.

Not to just completely disregard your opinions or anything, but this particular point stuck out. Of course it's an evolution, the clue is in the title of the game; Uncharted 4. I think the game is as much of an evolution as one could expect from a sequel, in-fact I think ND went above and beyond with respect to changes and new mechanics. From the new ropeswing mechanic, vehicle segments, rock pick, much improved stealth, open linear segments, expanded exploration, underwater swimming, improved combat design and so on. It feels familiar and welcome, but in reality it's actually a fairly noteworthy improvement or departure from past games in the franchise.

I'm early on in the game, and judging by other posts I've got some big wows to come. Just giving a first impression. The hyperbole by the media at large would suggest Naughty Dog have graphically taken the PS4 light years beyond anything else. Almost a TLoU vs Uncharted 1 scenario on PS3. Honestly, right now I'm not seeing it. It's a great game - maybe I've become a little jaded? Maybe I'll be eating my words by Chapter 8? So far, it just feels like I'm playing TLoU/Uncharted 3 with graphics roughly on par with Hitman (2016). The most impressive thing so far has been the cut-scene rendering.

Still - I'm a Story first gamer, and for that (so far) ND maintain their 11/10 track record :D

Never mind, ShopTo evade my shitlist by delivering the game today after all. It just turned up at my old address. Just swung round to pick it up, now let's do this :D

I'm early on in the game, and judging by other posts I've got some big wows to come. Just giving a first impression. The hyperbole by the media at large would suggest Naughty Dog have graphically taken the PS4 light years beyond anything else. Almost a TLoU vs Uncharted 1 scenario on PS3. Honestly, right now I'm not seeing it. It's a great game - maybe I've become a little jaded? Maybe I'll be eating my words by Chapter 8? So far, it just feels like I'm playing TLoU/Uncharted 3 with graphics roughly on par with Hitman (2016). The most impressive thing so far has been the cut-scene rendering.

Still - I'm a Story first gamer, and for that (so far) ND maintain their 11/10 track record :D
Not agreeing with something doesn't make the counter opinion automatically hyperbole. Especially when you have kind of mischaracterized the way people have talked about the fidelity of the visuals.

Not agreeing with something doesn't make the counter opinion automatically hyperbole. Especially when you have kind of mischaracterized the way people have talked about the fidelity of the visuals.

Lol, just characterising what I've read in the media - nothing more. All opinions and first impressions. Don't worry - I still think it's a good game ;)

Replayed the first three games this last weekend, and forgot how much I love these games despite them not aging poorly in some ways. It definitely tempered my expectations going in.

Now I've been playing UC4 for the last 5 hours straight, and now it's 3:30am. I don't think I've had such a fun time gaming since Uncharted 2. I'm just blown away.

It bums me out that some people aren't enjoying the first few hours, because of the slower pace. I can understand it, but man... I just wanna share the love. Ha.

As someone who loves hand drawn animation, and has a soft spot for Valkyria Chronicles-style watercolour cel-shading, the
title credits, rolling through the series' history and characters with sketchs and bold colours, 'ink' dripping all over the pages,
was a real treat.

Ulong

It seems like there are a good few missing multiplayer modes this time around. The objective medley mode being gone stands out the most to me, but I guess it's missing all of the old coop modes too? Seems a step back with how good the multiplayer in uncharted 3 was.

Edit: I know they are patching in Coop in fall, that's quite a ways off but I guess at least it's coming. Have they said if the new game mode in the summer will be objective medley or not? I'll probably play a lot of command mode but I wish Objective Medley was there.

Lol, just characterising what I've read in the media - nothing more. All opinions and first impressions. Don't worry - I still think it's a good game ;)
Then wait until you finish before condemning people who have finished to hyperbole. That word, while used wrong in your posts, works both ways and fit your initial post more than reviewers.

I have played parts of 1-3 but never completed any; Just picked up UC4 today.

+ Graphics (WOW)
+ Animation (WOW)
+ Sound
+ Story (Dialogue and cut scenes are incredible, life like at times)
+ Gameplay ( Traversal / Melee / Puzzles seem good so far, yet to have much gunplay)
+ Pacing (With the 2-3 hours I've played)

Yet to really notice a negative. Kudos to Naughty Dog; This is an absolute masterpiece so far.

Kaze2212

Finally holding the game in my hands.. damn it though... why does my internet have to suck like this. I swear waiting for those 5 gb to download is a lot worse than the last 2 years almost.. haha.

m4st4

So my copy just arrived and I had to drive 130km to my sister's flat (she borrowed my PS4) just to play this baby. I gave it a nice front seat and hoping I don't crash into cows.

I legit laughed out loud. Drive carefully man, I was in that same position yesterday, paranoia attacks!

Osahi

I have played parts of 1-3 but never completed any; Just picked up UC4 today.

+ Graphics (WOW)
+ Animation (WOW)
+ Sound
+ Story (Dialogue and cut scenes are incredible, life like at times)
+ Gameplay ( Traversal / Melee / Puzzles seem good so far, yet to have much gunplay)
+ Pacing (With the 2-3 hours I've played)

Yet to really notice a negative. Kudos to Naughty Dog; This is an absolute masterpiece so far.

It's hard to find negatives. The only ones I have is a dip in the pacing nearing the end (when the story needs to ramp up, you get a long jeep-level with no new ideas. But I might have felt slightly bored with it because I wanted to reach the end fast to be able to finish my review in time) and the lack of a whistle or noise function in stealth. Waiting for a guard to hopefully come your way isn't always as fun.

But otherwise: brilliant game and the perfect send of for the series.

Then wait until you finish before condemning people who have finished to hyperbole. That word, while used wrong in your posts, works both ways and fit your initial post more than reviewers.
Dude, you're reading more into what I'm typing than I'm actually saying. First impressions are just that - first impressions.

aravuus

It is for me, though. Why are you playing this game for the first time, to be in a constant whirlpool of overwhelming action that would surely, eventually, bore you even more, or to discover the characters, soak up the environments and enjoy the pacing as intended by game authors?

I can see it being 'a bore' on a second/third playthrough, and that only if you're not being invested enough for a narrative driven gameplay on that particular day. For example, I stopped re-playing TLOU when my mind wandered instead of being focused on the game.

Really? You literally can't understand why someone would find the first 2-3 hours boring?

Top Bottom