• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

It's a great looking game. Beautiful even if a little too coloutful, though Uncharted games have always had a lot of colour in them.
Also, no day one patch? How rare is that these days.

I'm assuming you got it on digital which has the day one patch included. The retail version of the game needs the day one patch which is 5GB + 100 something MB added in yesterday.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Whats wrong with the melee? Not every subsystem needs to have a crazy amount of depth. Given that the purpose of the melee is to generally be whacking away at an already injured enemy, its more then great at accomplishing that goal.

I am talking specifically about the melee only encounters. It is all so sluggish. Then the rolling to dodge is just terrible. Who flat out rolls in a fist fight, just make thst button block or something. You roll away then press square and warp back to the enemy and hit them until they hit you back. No finesse, timing or thought needed. The double power bomb was cool though.

eFKac

I am talking specifically about the melee only encounters. It is all so sluggish. Then the rolling to dodge is just terrible. Who flat out rolls in a fist fight, just make thst button block or something. You roll away then press square and warp back to the enemy and hit them until they hit you back. No finesse, timing or thought needed. The double power bomb was cool though.

Yep I feel like the melee is a step back from UC3, or I'm just missing something with the dodge.

Really disapointed in this.

I mean, theres only a couple of encounters like that so Im not in favor of ruining the flow of combat overall for one encounter.

Thank god countering was taken out. Wouldnt fit the games flow at all.

Gonna assume I'm near the end since the game is throwing ridiculous amounts of enemies at me with rocket launchers, snipers etc. Why do naughty dog always do this...

My thoughts so far (at chapter 14):
Its a massive improvement over the disappointment that was 3. Its still got the great feel of an adventure, while still over the top, not as over the top as 3 was. More in line with 2. The pacing feels better- not constant streaks of combat which would normally tire me out. There are some extensive fights, but the combat zones have so much variety, you can go about each fight in so many ways. The combat feels a lot better, i like the customization options available. The plot so far is focused on relationships like 3, but is not as spread out. 3 felt like the writers didnt care- it was all over the place and many things just felt dropped. 4 is sort of returning to some themes that were brought up in 3, but feel more thought out. The graphics are spectacular, but there were a few moments that pulled me out. One part had a heavy downpour and there was this weird texture overlay simulating rain contact- i dont know. It distracted me.
Other than that and the game freezing on me once, its been fantastic so far. On par with 2 so far.

Harmen

At first I was like "yes, this looks pretty good indeed" but soon the mindblown moments started to drop. Some insane graphics on display early on already, can't wait to see what is still waiting for me.

B00TE

Played some multiplayer while taking a break, holy shit is this fun. I played very little during the beta, so this is still relatively new to me. Love how much better the gunplay feels compared to the other UC multiplayer outings. Trials make me want some co-op or even just bot-play pretty damn bad right now though. Normal TDM has been pretty alright so far at least.

Gonna assume I'm near the end since the game is throwing ridiculous amounts of enemies at me with rocket launchers, snipers etc. Why do naughty dog always do this...

Why do people pretend a game throwing a bunch of the toughest enemies at the game is some ND specific thing. Thats like action game design 101.

especially from a man with a Bayonetta avatar of all games...

Whew my game got here on time. Put the disk in and im like 40gig short of the required space. My ps4 dont even have that many games. Then download patch but played anyway while downloading it.

My favorite looking ps4 game that I've played. Its not the most realistic (I don't think they're striving to be it) but the art style is just right. Lighting is phenomenal too. Shit even the physics of small and soft objects.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

ShinAmano

Best Buy...offer a coin to first come first serve uncharted 4 customers.

I am first person in the door...no coins in sight.

Ask the employee and she tells me they are for president orders only...no mention of this in the ad.

Leave without a coin :(

Assholes

Gurish

Omg UC4 is the best looking game I've ever seen. How does ND do it in PS4?

I don't know man, when The Order came out I was like "yea obviously it's pretty but look at the shoe box scale, look at the static and dead world, look at the lack of physics" (it's almost a David Cage game with guns and some basic AI, the sacrifices were clear and loud (and I didn't even mention the cut screen).

Now I play U4 and I'm in owe, even if you can nitpick some minor stuff, you see it and ask what is the trick? where are the big sacrifices they needed to do for those visuals? the overall package is a technical masterpiece, I don't need to say much other than go read DF's analysis, they said it all.

QRtpXX1.jpg

One last ride.

nib95

Banned
I think the game is great, but the combat is still far from best in class.

In fact, i'd say it's just serviceable. Pretty disappointing considering it's their 4th attempt at this. Otherwise I love the game.

What do you find disappointing about it? Imo it's up there as among the best combat in the genre. The fluidity, polish, level of freedom and dynamism is pretty much unmatched. It combines raw action, stealth, melee and platforming together in combat, better than any other shooter, and the animations, cover system and aiming are also all top notch. The way you can just easily jump, climb or swing about, to constantly gain advantage, flank, get in to stealth etc, completely effortlessly and with immediacy, can be truly liberating. The incredible level design and quality AI also help encounters.

Granted not all of the combat segments allow for full combat gameplay diversity, but several certainly do.

mileS

I simply cannot believe the amount of bitching about day 1 patches. Is this your first console game of this generation? It boils down to 2 simple things. 1) play the game without the patch 2) Plan ahead.

I knew when I brought my game home I would have to wait a bit. Just like literally every other console game this gen. Popped the game in first thing, then did some work around the house while it downloaded.

KiraXD

Weirdly... my PS4 started up sounding like a jet engine during the menu load at the very beginning... but has been quiet during actual gameplay.... just that initial title screen lol.

Also did anyone else get a kick out of kid Sams
t-shirt
in the prologue?

BK94r8T.jpg

brau

Weirdly... my PS4 started up sounding like a jet engine during the menu load at the very beginning... but has been quiet during actual gameplay.... just that initial title screen lol.

Also did anyone else get a kick out of kid Sams
t-shirt
in the prologue?

Thought Sam looking a lot like a young Nate was pretty awesome. I really enjoyed that whole chapter.

Just got to chapter 8. ND are next level, like..how are they THIS far ahead of the rest?

Madness.

Yea, just got to chapter 8 myself and I'm just standing here in this field completely in awe. But it's not just the graphics that are unreal, so far this feels like the most cinematic game I've ever played. Just epic stuff and the story hasn't even kicked into full gear yet. I'm just floored on every level. I haven't felt like this since...well, Uncharted 2.

Bladenic

Why is God punishing me right now

I tried starting the game. said cannot launch application

Now I'm at the "downloading update file" screen but it's not downloading

Help 🤔

aravuus

I simply cannot believe the amount of bitching about day 1 patches. Is this your first console game of this generation? It boils down to 2 simple things. 1) play the game without the patch 2) Plan ahead.

I knew when I brought my game home I would have to wait a bit. Just like literally every other console game this gen. Popped the game in first thing, then did some work around the house while it downloaded.

It's a 5 gigabyte patch you have to download from Sony's shitty servers. I think people are allowed to complain a bit.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This game is that fucking hot fiiiiiiire sons & daughters. I said god dayuuumn and I'm only at Chapter 10 I think.
*Back to the dungeon*

Playing on Hard for first playthrough with everything turned OFF.

Top Bottom