• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

theWB27

I didn't necessarily read it as transitioning out of cutscene to gameplay without a black screen in between. If that is what was being expressed then yes, this isn't novel.

I don't think it's very common however because of how less common these type of linear games are in the AAA space, but not some mega awesome thing.

They said they couldn't tell when it was time to take control of drake.

Kind of agree with the last part. Even open world games transition really well now.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'm afraid from spoilers, they know it because you can't activate photo mode during those?

Wonder why ND included them since the real time cut scenes look so good.
It was nothing we hadn't seen before. Photo mode can be activated during cutscenes and that includes the visual filters, zoom in and other neat tricks. When it's pre-rendered the settings in photo mode don't do anything. If I were to guess the main reasons why they'd use pre-rendered scenes occasionally is to mask loading screens while making transitions from location to location while also having some scenes showcase visuals not possible on the hardware in realtime. They're not straight up CGI level like in FFXV, the few pre-rendered scenes are still in-engine.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Transition from cut scene to game still gets me, like am l control of this thing now. Yes you're no longer in a cut scene this is the game now ! Definately a first for a game on ps4 at least, any developer that still put campaigns into game should copy this.

MGS4 still the most impressive for me in cutscenes to gamplay transition.

Guys start the game let patch download in the back. There is zero need for the patch at the start of the game. That's what I did and nothing happened.

I've taken 740+ screenshots.

Lol. GG PS4 hard drive.

Don't worry won't post anything here for weeks if not months, I definitely do not want to spoil even an inch of this game.

Seeing things for this first time in this game is priceless.

Reached chapter 8 and played some of it. Great game so far, still quite slow but I don't mind... I think. Graphics are unbelievable, but I am pretty sure many of the cutscenes are still pre-rendered. Hopefully DF or someone else can bust open the Bluray disc and check if it does contain video files, or if it really, really is real-time at all points.

What in the world.....that's some really messed up revisionist history. Developers have been doing this since early last gen. It's only notable in this game since ND has been using pre-rendered cutscenes for the vast majority of last gen, (even tho some are still pre-rendered her) otherwise it's par for the course for a triple A game. Anyway getting my copy today, debating whether to get it digitally or a physical.

None of the cutscenes are pre-rendered. To test this, change the skin/weapons and you'll see them in the cutscene. The only pre-rendered stuff are the transitions that can't be done in real-time like the few seconds transition to hide loading between
the hotel room
scene to
the boat
scene when the game has 2 scenes in the screen at the same time for few seconds and then it goes back to real-time. All the character models, lighting, backgrounds...etc are rendered in real-time.

It was nothing we hadn't seen before. Photo mode can be activated during cutscenes and that includes the visual filters, zoom in and other neat tricks. When it's pre-rendered the settings in photo mode don't do anything. If I were to guess the main reasons why they'd use pre-rendered scenes occasionally is to mask loading screens while making transitions from location to location while also having some scenes showcase visuals not possible on the hardware in realtime. They're not straight up CGI level like in FFXV, the few pre-rendered scenes are still in-engine.

Are these all speculations you came up with or are they actually from Naughty Dog, DF or NX gamers?

Just checked my Amazon orders page - it's been delivered!

Should be home by about 6:30. I should order takeout so I don't have to cook.

So freakin' excited!

Samimista

I think I am going to contact Amazon about mine. It says it hasn't been shipped yet but should be arriving tonight at the same time. No tracking number or anything.

That's really weird. I do hope you get your copy tonight. I've never had that problem before.

My copy has shipped, but UPS usually comes late where I live. xD I would have ordered Uncharted 4 digitally, but it's a belated Birthday gift from my brother.

Right there with you. UPS is taking forever today ...

At least we in this together, fam! :)

I'm just happy seeing everyone's impressions about the game, haha. It sounds like we're in for a real treat.

Crossing Eden

None of the cutscenes are pre-rendered. To test this, change the skin/weapons and you'll see them in the cutscene. Only pre-rendered stuff are the transitions that can't be done in real-time like the transition between
the hotel room
scene to
the boat
scene when the game has 2 scenes in the screen at the same time for few seconds and then it goes back to real-time.
So it's just the transitions? Do all cutscenes feature costume changes?

Are these all speculations you came up with or are they actually from Naughty Dog, DF or NX gamers?
The photo mode parts are all from DF. The reasons why they'd use it are as I stated, guesses for why'd they use pre-rendered cutscenes.

Gurish

You can activate it. You just can't move the screen around like you can during gameplay.

Alright thanks, but I wonder how can you activate photo mode during pre rendered cut scenes regardless of how limited it is.

Anung

Un Rama
Holy shit the combat actually feels good in this. The hit detection and the way enemies react to being shot is giving me serious Max Payne 3 vibes.

Trace

Banned
So it's just the transitions? Do all cutscenes feature costume changes?

The photo mode parts are all from DF. The reasons why they'd use it are as I stated, guesses for why'd they use pre-rendered cutscenes.

I noticed this randomly actually. You can use photo-mode between the transition and put a filter on. What's being transitioned to will show the filter and what's being transitioned from will not.

Holy shit the combat actually feels good in this. The hit detection and the way enemies react to being shot is giving me serious Max Payne 3 vibes.

Buddy that's the first thing said in this thread that got me even more hyped but I feel the hyperbole all over it. High praise though.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Didn't have the patch installed so the photo mode wasn't in my options yet. Lol

Kyrios

I would laugh if the reason why everyone is waiting for UPS is because of the sheer number of people getting U4 shipped to them lol

Crossing Eden

I noticed this randomly actually. You can use photo-mode between the transition and put a filter on. What's being transitioned to will show the filter and what's being transitioned from will not.
I'll need to test this out myself.

From what I've tested, yes.
That's good because I wanna wear that
winter jacket
constantly. Hopefully you can during the first playthrough?

I'll need to test this out myself.

That's good because I wanna wear that
winter jacket
constantly. Hopefully you can during the first playthrough?

You have to beat the game to unlock them. There are different costumes for every character in the game in the game.

Actually I might be wrong, but I think you can use LP points to unlock them.

Jb

I love how satisfying the gunplay feels in this game. This combined with some really fun and varied encounter design makes for some great gunfights.

Top Bottom