• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Transition from cut scene to game still gets me, like am l control of this thing now. Yes you're no longer in a cut scene this is the game now ! Definately a first for a game on ps4 at least, any developer that still put campaigns into game should copy this.
What in the world.....that's some really messed up revisionist history. Developers have been doing this since early last gen. It's only notable in this game since ND has been using pre-rendered cutscenes for the vast majority of last gen, (even tho some are still pre-rendered her) otherwise it's par for the course for a triple A game. Anyway getting my copy today, debating whether to get it digitally or a physical.

Anyone that got the stickers with the special editions... what're you planning on doing with them? Just keeping them in the box? I thought maybe using them for touch pad graphics, but I dunno.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
What in the world.....that's some really messed up revisionist history. Developers have been doing this since early last gen. It's only notable in this game since ND has been using pre-rendered cutscenes for the vast majority of last gen, (even tho some are still pre-rendered her) otherwise it's par for the course for a triple A game. Anyway getting my copy today, debating whether to get it digitally or a physical.
Playable cutscene action certainly is not par for the course. Dynamic objects on top of dynamic objects with other dynamic objects still working while apparent geometry changes despite being in Uncharted 2 is still not the default in games nowadays.

The Game

Wish more games are like this, so freaking good, on chapter 9 atm but everything so far was awesome, was really worried about pacing but its perfect so far, this game might really surpass UC2 for me.

TsuWave

lmao, I just found a easter egg treasure.

CiHTszCWEAAW_Fx.jpg

CiHTsk0XAAA3Akj.jpg
I call it the power couple pendant.

that is awesome

BeeDog

Reached chapter 8 and played some of it. Great game so far, still quite slow but I don't mind... I think. Graphics are unbelievable, but I am pretty sure many of the cutscenes are still pre-rendered. Hopefully DF or someone else can bust open the Bluray disc and check if it does contain video files, or if it really, really is real-time at all points.

And/reas

Neo Member
Finished it - awesome game - , is there a spoiler thread or anything where you can talk about all the stuff without spoiling others?

Gurish

Wait, there are pre rendered cut scenes in U4? didn't hear about it, how many and how often?

theWB27

Playable cutscene action certainly is not par for the course. Dynamic objects on top of dynamic objects with other dynamic objects still working while apparent geometry changes despite being in Uncharted 2 is still not the default in games nowadays.

But eden quoted a person who said cutscene to real time. What you posted has nothing to do with that.

Rhetorical question, but when does that uncharted magic kick. These subdued first few chapters are rather...boring. Pretty, but boring.

Just finished Uncharted 2 and about to install Uncharted 3. Mail came early today and I missed it so I have to go pick up my Uncharted 4 copy tomorrow. How is the shooting of enemies in this? I find that to be the weakest part of the series for me, not counting the animations of course.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
But eden quoted a person who said cutscene to real time. What you posted has nothing to do with that.
I didn't necessarily read it as transitioning out of cutscene to gameplay without a black screen in between. If that is what was being expressed then yes, this isn't novel.

I don't think it's very common however because of how less common these type of linear games are in the AAA space, but not some mega awesome thing.

Steveo

Banned
What do you find disappointing about it? Imo it's up there as among the best combat in the genre. The fluidity, polish, level of freedom and dynamism is pretty much unmatched. It combines raw action, stealth, melee and platforming together in combat, better than any other shooter, and the animations, cover system and aiming are also all top notch. The way you can just easily jump, climb or swing about, to constantly gain advantage, flank, get in to stealth etc, completely effortlessly and with immediacy, can be truly liberating. The incredible level design and quality AI also help encounters.

Granted not all of the combat segments allow for full combat gameplay diversity, but several certainly do.

The mobility is good, the actual firing of the weapons is definitely not among the best. The weapons don't feel great, they're ok, but they take a backseat to the rest of the game... that and the melee combat is the weakest part of UC4.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
What do you mean by "playable cutscene action?" The person was referring to cutscenes transitioning into gameplay in realtime, which is one of the most common tropes of triple A games these days and have been for years.

Wait, there are pre rendered cut scenes in U4? didn't hear about it, how many and how often?
Not super often but you can tell via photo mode.

Zutroy

This game is everything I hoped it would be and then some. It's an absolute joy to control and traverse across the beautiful landscapes.

Stopped for the evening at chapter 11. Guessing it's about half way and probably a good time to stop.

Not read all 40 pages, but did anyone else notice the potential Neogaf reference?
When you're shown the photo of the cross that's on the online site near the start, the layout of the photo looked just like gaf.

I've just finished it guys and I can't believe its the end of this awesome franchise.

Think the Story DLC is probably going to be
Sam and Sully's job?

jiggles

Banned
[PSA] The brightness calibration page is fucked and should be ignored.

I've had a deeper dive in the settings now and it seems the problem is with the UK English text string for the brightness instructions. If that's your language it'll tell you to calibrate until one image is visible and one is invisible (but there are no images), while the US English option says "until all segments are visible" on the grey scale bar like it should.

So EuroGAF people playing in English might want to double check their settings

Gurish

What do you mean by "playable cutscene action?" The person was referring to cutscenes transitioning into gameplay in realtime, which is one of the most common tropes of triple A games these days and have been for years.

Not super often but you can tell via photo mode.

I'm afraid from spoilers, they know it because you can't activate photo mode during those?

Wonder why ND included them since the real time cut scenes look so good.

JonnyKong

I'm being a right doofus here, what button do I press to take the photo? I'm in photo mode pressing everything, it's just not working.

Kyrios

Game didn't come in yet, but I got my headset all charged after seeing a bunch of people having their PS4 fans go nuclear with this game.

Top Bottom