• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
How this went along with the
opening credits was just completely fabulous. Seriously, what amazing opening credits and how they covered the previous games reminded me of Sam Raimi's Spider-man intros
. Just superb.

It reminded me of God of War 3. :p

So I'm just getting to Madagascar. Even with the slower pace in the beginning, this is through-and-through and Uncharted game. Everything they are playing to, the way action is played, the banter and comedy... I have no idea what AKyemeni was talking about. Sam also fits into the story incredibly well.

Loving the throwbacks to all three games throughout the intro, too. Starts out with elements from first game, jumps to third game flashback, followed by a jump to where Nate ends up in second game post-heist.

I keep trying to come up with a good analogy to explain how I feel about it so far. It 100% feels like Uncharted, but it doesn't quite go for that fluffy, colorful adventure feel with extravagant, impossible to survive setpieces. But, kinda? There's definitely stuff here where you feel like (intro spoiler)
someone should get hurt, BUT they DO
. So it's a more grounded take, but only ever so slightly. And it feels damn good.

Aha! The previous Uncharted games were like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and Uncharted 4 so far is closer to the dirty and gritty adventure feel of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Is that a fair enough analogy? And lol, I am not necessarily comparing them to the quality of Crystal Skull, just in that it's definitely more over the top (like that jungle chase) whereas Uncharted 4's action feels more like the truck chase in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I'm rambling. Back to the game.

Oh definetly. It has a serious tone and style to it, not only is what's occurring relatable but feels like it could happen. Best way I can think to describe it. Still over the top but grounded.

f@luS

More than a member.
Seriously I saw many YouTube 1080p video and such but nothing compare to see it on tv. I'm playing on a 65 inch tv 2mrters away. It's the cleanest game ever. And I'm in chapter 10 every new location is totally blowing away the previous one. Can't wait to see more. Insanity

EhoaVash

Wtfff I played like two chapters of this game earlier. Didn't download the update back then was planning on updating later. Now I want to play it again ...and it still hadn't finished downloading update.

So I press play again without updating and now I'm getting error CE 30002-5

Help

Daft Punk

Banned
So I'm just getting to Madagascar. Even with the slower pace in the beginning, this is through-and-through and Uncharted game. Everything they are playing to, the way action is played, the banter and comedy... I have no idea what AKyemeni was talking about. Sam also fits into the story incredibly well.

Loving the throwbacks to all three games throughout the intro, too. Starts out with elements from first game, jumps to third game flashback, followed by a jump to where Nate ends up in second game post-heist.

? The last part of the intro is a different period away from UC2.

G-Bus

Banned
Just hit chapter 5 and holy fuck. Chapter 4.. that put the biggest grin on my face. Thank you naughty dog. Un real.

RDreamer

As much as I fucking love this series I always felt like the climbing was the worst part. I liked it in concept, but I felt like they didn't really get it right. This game, though, I really feel put a lot of time into making you feel like you weren't on the only path you can go. It feels like a game rather than an interesting view while you wait for the next thing.

As much as I fucking love this series I always felt like the climbing was the worst part. I liked it in concept, but I felt like they didn't really get it right. This game, though, I really feel put a lot of time into making you feel like you weren't on the only path you can go. It feels like a game rather than an interesting view while you wait for the next thing.

I have often found myself taking a long climbing path only to have the AI jump up like one or two ledges and get to the end from the start super quick.

I feel like an idiot xD

HeelPower

You can totally play UC4 as your first UC game.

The story is extremely self sufficient and independent of the others.The game practically reconstructs the characters in a completely new light that isn't reliant on any thing before it.

It would probably be a more interesting experience if you have no preconceptions about what Uncharted is.

Jumeira

Banned
The brawling is still awful, i thought people here said it was perfect. After Arkham Knight i was expecting something near its quality, but no, its the same as UC3 with different animations.

Im on Chapter 3. Its ok so far, the visuals are outstanding as is the animation. The opening was hyped way too much, it was fun. Thats it.

Will play more of it tomorrow, but so far, its been good. Shooting is vastly improved from previous UC games, feels great unloading a clip.

CREMSteve

I LOVE that the combat is completely avoidable. I'm stealthing the whole damn thing, and when gunfights do occur, it's because the shit has seriously hit the fan. I adore that it's not just respawning bullet sponges, there's a set number of enemies, I tag them and then systematically hunt them down and eliminate them quietly. So satisfying.

Only qualm I have is the enemies have no hearing, just visual. So I can kill someone right behind another guy and he won't even flinch. Being given away by audio as well would make it more intense.

You can totally play UC4 as your first UC game.

The story is extremely self sufficient and independent of the others.The game practically reconstructs the characters in a completely new light that isn't reliant on any thing before it.

It would probably be a more interesting experience if you have no preconceptions about what Uncharted is.

I would have to disagree if only that UC4, especially it's opening few hours holds way more weight and has more impact if you actually have experienced the whole series.

I feel like no one has mentioned this yet. I am going to spoiler it even though it has nothing to do with the story, just a small technical detail.

You can fully see yourself when you look in a mirror. Everything is fully rendered. Can't remember seeing that anywhere else in recent memory

Kuro

Scotland sucks so bad. Really don't like the stealth and I'm on hard so I die in 2 seconds. Can't even do any cool rope moves because of that.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just one thing, Naughty Dog is taking the piss with how this game looks.
It's just kills everything graphically.
Wow, I'm gobsmacked.
Seeing run on your tv is amazing, videos don't do it justice.

I bought the Digital Deluxe Edition months ago and now the playstation store is telling me i need to buy the game again... 99 fucking canadians bucks. I'm so angry right now. I'm not even able to play. I will stop preordering games now f*ck this. I contacted the support via email and waiting for an answer.

I'm so jealous of you all right now. :D

Early, minor spoiler (if you can even call it a spoiler), that shows Naughty Dog's attention to detail:

When you are underwater wrapping the cables around the axle of the cargo container, if you swim around it more than once you run out of cable and you can't keep swimming or attach it and must back up so there is enough slack to attach the cable.

When people try to quantify what makes Naughty Dog's game special, especially in debates about the presentation, it's these little touches that make a huge impact. There is something so simple yet so impactful about things like this.

SRTtoZ

Finished UC3R today and just booted up UC4 and played until the opening credits (prologue you can call it). WOW. That is all.

Top Bottom