• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

The Lamp

Managed to get the game early, and just finished it.

For me, Naughty Dogs best game. The story is gripping, and only gets better and better. It was my most anticipated of 2016, and fuck me it delivered.

If you're reading this thread Neil & Co... Thank you.

It's a 10.

Onto the MP!

The MP is a 10 itself. It feels so good and there's so much variety. Very balanced. One of the few games where I don't feel like a useless loner as a sniper, either.

Gandalf

The MP is a 10 itself. It feels so good and there's so much variety. Very balanced. One of the few games where I don't feel like a useless loner as a sniper, either.

I had a brief go earlier, and it was addictive as hell! I can see myself playing it for a very, very long time.

Chapter 11 is a perfect level for me. It has absolutely everything I want in an Uncharted level and all aspects of it are so goddamn incredible. Just... wow.

People who feel the opening chapters are too slow....why

This is perfectly paced.

Agreed. I'm in Chapter 12 right now and while I'm enjoying the pick up in pacing, Chapter 4 is my favorite so far. That
toy gun
and the
walk down memory lane in the attic
were just spot on. I was smiling the whole time.

Drewfonse

Just finished chapter 6.

God damn, so much jumping. I am already bored.

I really hope the story picks up.

Music is alright, expected a lot better.

Acting and dialogues top notch. Graphics are insane.

I am already hooked to the story, really want to know what will happen next, same feeling as Uncharted 2. So thats good.

Agreed on all counts. I'm sure the gameplay will pick up, but it's by far the weakest aspect of the game for me. Kinda boring.

jwk94

Question about final chapter:

Anyone else think that the dude who we thought helped Sam escape would've been a far better villain than Nadine and/or Rafe? Rafe was decent, but man Nadine was damn near unnecessary.

People who feel the opening chapters are too slow....why

This is perfectly paced.

I'm not hating and I'm pretty into it (all I had to do was finally play the collection to become a fan last year), but I swear this game has started 4 times already. Just coming out of scuba, and this must be breaking a record for tutorial sections, cuts, flashbacks and stop-start. We heard you like in media res, so we put in media res in your in media res.

I'm about to log back off and go back into it, but this felt uncharacteristically ill conceived as a patchwork and I hope it just gets going from here on out. The fact I even took a break to get online instead of being glued to the screen is saying something.

edit: next part felt like another start/tutorial and had me smh, but it feels like it's reached equilibrium now. The living room was magic and it feels like it's about to roll and the mix is coming together.

ShutterMunster

I think this is true. Overall the shooting is very soft. From the sounds to the impact.

Disagree completely, but I am playing exclusively with the Gold headset on and their sound profile. The weapons pack just as much OOMPH as they do in TLOU. The shooting feels basically the same, though everything is much faster and weapon sway is AWOL. I actually like getting into gun battles in UC4.

leng jai

The pacing and characters are fantastic so far, but nothing gameplay wise is really all that great. The platforming "improvements" are just annoying mostly, and the shootouts are just okay despite the vastly improved gunplay.

Grisby

Bit of a slow intro. Graphics are insane though.

I really hope they don't focus too much on fist fights. I don't think melee is UC's strong point.

People comparing it to the order need to realize one thing. Uncharted 4 might strIke some similarities to it at the start, but they are doing so to lay the foundation for the plot. The order was literally that way the entire time and just when the plot was getting good it ended. Uncharted starts intentially this way and after chapter 7 pretty much embraces the gameplay moments.

theWB27

Disagree completely, but I am playing exclusively with the Gold headset on and their sound profile. The weapons pack just as much OOMPH as they do in TLOU. The shooting feels basically the same, though everything is much faster and weapon sway is AWOL. I actually like getting into gun battles in UC4.

I'm gonna be honest. Sometimes I can't even tell if I killed a guy or, on a lesser note, if he was hit.

I didn't have that problem in TLOU or past uncharted.

@slasher

So you agree it starts in a way that feels like the order. It does pick up, but that doesn't negate the slow start.

@pack
Why would gun sounds and impact affect the rating?

People comparing it to the order need to realize one thing. Uncharted 4 might strIke some similarities to it at the start, but they are doing so to lay the foundation for the plot. The order was literally that way the entire time and just when the plot was getting good it ended. Uncharted starts intentially this way and after chapter 7 pretty much embraces the gameplay moments.

Exactly. If the entire game had the pacing of the first few chapters, I'd be disappointed. But I can already tell that's not going to be the case.

leng jai

That has nothing to do with it. The weapon sounds and feedback are nowhere near TLOU level, and that's fine since they're different games. It's definitely improved from the other UC games but it's nothing mind-blowing. I was expecting more improvements honestly.

Zaki2407

There's a little moment in chapter 4 when
you played the "video game" and then after finished, the view change to Nate and Elena sitting in the couch
. At that time I'm wondering how far we've come in videogame technology. 20 years gap of technology.. just wow..

God damn this game is incredible looking, so much attention to detail. I can't get over how great the character models look. I've probably taken 100 screenshots over the couple hours I've played.

Timeaisis

Alright, just got to Chapter 7. Gonna quit for the night there, I try to savor these things.

So far, so good. Honestly, I was expecting the beginning to be slower from the reviews. It isn't exactly quickly paced, but it's intriguing enough to keep it interesting and fresh. I'm hoping the game opens up relatively soon, though. It feels like it's taking it's sweet time to set everything up. There should be a tilt any minute now...any minute now.

zsynqx

As much as I love the gunplay in 4, I do think they kinda fucked up the AK. The reticule is too big and the recoil pattern is weird. It also sounds a bit weak compared to the other assault rifles.

Other than that the guns sound and feel amazing.

Even so, it's not really a fair comparison. There are more
things to inspect and read
in the first few chapters of Uncharted 4 than in all of The Order. The attention to detail is unparalleled.

If you're comparing it to The Order, my recommendation would be to get lost in the moment a little more with Uncharted 4's slower paced early chapters. The Order was sparse. Uncharted 4 is deliberately slow paced and full of details worthy of your attention. It's Nate's last adventure and the developer is clearly using the intro's pacing to cater to fans of the series. Personally, I'm super grateful for it.

LuuKyK

Jesus christ, that first
Scotland
puzzle with the
three crosses and the water bucket
... It took me half an hour to solve I think. lol I refused to skip it though.

ShutterMunster

That has nothing to do with it. The weapon sounds and feedback are nowhere near TLOU level, and that's fine since they're different games. It's definitely improved from the other UC games but it's nothing mind-blowing. I was expecting more improvements honestly.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree here. The sound, vibration, hit response animations all seem the same if not better to me. The only changes I notice are lack of dismemberment/blood and overall speed boost (movement/aiming).

Just got to the Market while playing on Hard and think I'm done for the night. So far it has met my expectations can't wait to experience the rest tomorrow.

The buildup to the first real combat sequence
(Chapter 5)
makes the payoff so much sweeter.
Yeah but sometimes you can just tell that it's going to make you not want to play through the game again.

It's the same way I felt about The Last of Us. Opening was too slow, so it kind of discourages me to play through it again. Not to say that I didn't like it the first time through though.

Mirrintu

Neo Member
Finally received my copy today and forgot to set it up for updates before I left for work... Now I will have to wait yet another day.

35nksf.jpg

It can't be stated enough how much better the gunplay is this. Enemies actually register hits and guns feel really good. Movement is better, too

Top Bottom