• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

leng jai

Agreed. Though unlike you I prefer using my T1's for games. I find the HD800 lacking a touch in the mid bass, and they almost make things sound too wide at times. But give Studio Reference (default maximum) with angle set to 65 degrees a go and let me know your thoughts.

I actually tested a whole bunch of settings by walking or rolling on different materials, with different tracks and instruments playing in the background etc, and found that to be the best balance. Again, with the T1. Might need an angle tweak for the HD800, haven't tested with those as thoroughly.

Nah, I actually prefer the T1s as well for games. As you said they have slightly better "gaming" bass and the random treble spike on the HD800s can be an absolute killer in some games. I don't think the soundstage superiority of the HD800s makes a huge difference for games and I prefer the Beyer's left to right imaging anyway. The reason I use the HD800s is because of their vastly superior comfort which is big when you have 1 hour plus sessions. Though to be honest my first preference for games is using my speakers since there's really no comparison for soundstage and bass.

For a game like Uncharted you definitely feel the difference in bass for the set pieces, though headphones are better for the quieter more intimate scenes.

OMG at that tower set piece and
fight with nadine
Man the set pieces in this game are awesome .
Not as crazy as 3 but still very good from what i play so far .

Gurish

Guys help. Wtf at the first puzzle with the symbols on the folded paper?

I feel like I'm missing something obvious here and I'm being dumb...

I also felt dumb there, the puzzle is so simple I was overthinking, you can just press all the buttons until you'd get the right one, there is no punishment other than your humiliation (which makes it a really pointless puzzle, what is the idea if anyone can solve it by just pressing everything?), but if you want the answer, just look for a one button with both of the signs.

I thought you need to press a button for each symbol so I skipped the correct brick.

GHG

Gold Member
Just some simple
addition
xD

I also felt dumb there, the puzzle is so simple I was overthinking, you can just press all the buttons until you'd get the right one, there is no punishment other than your humiliation (which makes it a really pointless puzzle, what is the idea if anyone can solve it by just pressing everything?), but if you want the answer, just look for a one button with both of the signs.

I was thinking you need to press a button for each symbol so I just skipped that one.

Ah ok thanks guys.

bomma_man

Just got up to chapter 8.

Fuck that is some nice grass.

I'm glad they mixed up the pacing, tone and the structure a bit with this entry. I don't think I would've been too happy with uncharted 2-3, not after MGS V. The shooting still isn't amazing, nor the stealth, and certainly not the traversal but all three workin in tangent, combined with the more open level design really made chapter 7 a lot of fun. I hope there's more parts like that coming up.

And lol why does drake have a flip phone.

I thought you need to press a button for each symbol so I skipped the correct brick.

Lol I had the same issue . Thought it was 2 seperate buttons , kept pressing the right first one and nothing .

Eventually just started pressing all of them . Felt so dumb afterwards .

I'm among those that Amazon screwed over, so I won't get it until today. They gave me a free month extension to my Prime, so I guess there's that. And to be fair, I'm not even sure I will really be able to dig in until this weekend. Still... it's painful waiting reading the reviews and the general impressions here. Can't wait!

Great little puzzle, not too easy but not too hard either, took me a few mins to figure it out, but felt rewarding when I did. One of those "Oh yeah, I get it now" moments.

bryanee

My copy from SimplyGames arrived. Seeing its the steelbook was a nice surprise as I just ordered the regular case version.

Catdaddy

Played through the Prologue last night, holy shit.. Almost called out, but decided to just take a half day vacation and spend the afternoon playing. So far liking the movement and fighting, and what little gunplay that has been thrown at me. As much as I liked the opening still didn't have the impact that TLoU had, but still up there as one of the best.

Finished. No spoilers of course.

I adored the ending but when the credits rolled it felt very bittersweet. I'm gunna miss drake and elena and sully and everyone :(

Gurish

Lol I had the same issue . Thought it was 2 seperate buttons , kept pressing the right first one and nothing .

Eventually just started pressing all of them . Felt so dumb afterwards .

Exactly what happened to me :D

And I'm alright at puzzle games, finished Portal 1+2, The Swapper and other puzzle games without (too many) problems, but this dumb puzzle was so simple and obvious that I managed to give it more credit and overthinking it.

I really felt dumb when I realized the correct button.

aravuus

Hahaha thank god I wasn't the only one over-thinking this one to hell and back, spent minutes running around the room. I felt so goddamn stupid when I realized what the solution was.

Hilariously enough, none of the other puzzles managed to stump me for so long.

I finished the game. Took me just under 14 hours. Wow.
The perfect send off to a bunch of characters I've grown to love over the years. I think the ending itself might surprise quite a few people but I won't elaborate. As a big fan I was satisfied with the direction they took.

The game itself was for my money near perfection within the genre. The shooting felt fantastic, the action was used far more sparingly than in other games so had more impact when it hit.
There was far more exploring to be done in this game thanks to vehicular segments, better traversal and larger hub like environments.
Platforming felt better than ever thanks to the grapple hook and pick.
Visual and audio design was some of the best I've seen in any game, how this runs so well on PS4 is beyond belief.
Characters and story are better than ever before. It was funny, sad, thrilling and surprising throughout.
Set pieces were also very impressive and good to see they were built around the game this time and not shoehorned in. They always felt very natural and as a result were more believable and exciting.

I did find the game had a few pacing issues in its second half, chapters that went on a little long or areas where the characters and story took a back seat to exploration which hurt the feeling of progression. Aside from that I honestly have very few issues. The game is near perfect and packed with fan service.

Fantastic job ND. Sad to say goodbye to one of my favourite franchises, but at least it went out on a high.

Skux

There are so many great little touches.

In chapter 10, conversations that
are interrupted by a locational event ("let's check out that building") resume with a lead in ("you were saying?"), so you never miss any fun banter

It's perfect for people like me who have restarted checkpoints in other games just to hear the dialogue.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I might have to tweak the aiming some still. It's great in MP but SP is giving me a bit of trouble with head shots for some reason. I have auto aim off and the aiming sensitivity down to 3.

I'm South African and it didn't really sound South African to me.
Hmm ok. Can you guess what nationality she is then?
There are so many great little touches.

In chapter 10, conversations that
are interrupted by a locational event ("let's check out that building") resume with a lead in ("you were saying?"), so you never miss any fun banter

It's perfect for people like me who have restarted checkpoints in other games just to hear the dialogue.
The banter in that chapter was so good.

Sam asking Sully how the internet has affected his business and his preferences regarding dealing
was just God-Tier filler.

psychotron

In the name of all pirates man even if you don't get the puzzle all you have to do is try all stones on the wall...

Match the symbols on the paper to the same ones on the wall. You'll see they have a value next to them. One is X, which means 10. If you can't get it from there let me know.

Ducktail

Is there no way to duck/dodge melee attacks at all? I guess that's the only thing I haven't like so far. I missed the grenade throwback at first, but not having this option actually forces you out of cover and makes combat more dynamic.

Loving the game!

Skux

Is there no way to duck/dodge melee attacks at all? I guess that's the only thing I haven't like so far. I missed the grenade throwback at first, but not having this option actually forces you out of cover and makes combat more dynamic.

Loving the game!

Press circle.

I'm loving the combat too. There's so much more to do than just cover shooting. You can regain stealth, run and gun, climb to vantage points, and perform some absolutely amazing rope swinging stunts. There are so many ways to tackle a combat scenario.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

I thought it was the same thing. I felt so dumb.

Finished the first 4 chapters. What a slow start...

I wouldn't say it's too slow, I find the pacing just right. I mean you have the action right at the start, then it slows a bit for story but it picks back up again. I've just got to Chapter 6 and I found 1-5 a great little mix of action and story.

Gurish

I wouldn't say it's too slow, I find the pacing just right. I mean you have the action right at the start, then it slows a bit for story but it picks back up again. I've just got to Chapter 6 and I found 1-5 a great little mix of action and story.

Exactly, I feel like people who complain about a slow start, at least on their first playthrough (I can understand how for some it might be a little slow when playing it again), maybe don't like this style of cinematic game, that they want a more pure TPS with non stop action.

Like there is enough platforming, shooting, and slow exploration parts in those chapters, It's not a David Cage game, but it seems like they want a non stop roller coaster ride with things explode every 2 seconds, I much rather have the pacing it currently has.

Bishop89

Finished the first 2 chapters.

wow holy fucking wow.

This game is so fucking amazing. The graphics are insanely good as are all the performances.

My god I cant stop taking screenshots!!

fastmower

I might have to tweak the aiming some still. It's great in MP but SP is giving me a bit of trouble with head shots for some reason. I have auto aim off and the aiming sensitivity down to 3.
I think it's a wonky deadzone or something. I have problems with accuracy too.

daveo42

Banned
Made it to the start of Chapter 9 last night. Great so far. Exploration and stealth has been about the best things from a gameplay perspective. The grappling hook and sliding mechanics, especially in
Scotland
have been fantastic. Story up to this point has been much slower than I was expecting, but it's been nice to
relive the past and get to know Sam and Nate's relationship a bit while progressing towards whatever Avery has hidden away from the world.
Puzzles and encounters feel better designed, though I'm still considering dropping down to Normal as it feels like I died a bit too much in the early encounters. I must just suck at the gun combat lol.

JD_Lars

I ended up working a little later than usual yesterday, but got home around 7 with my copy and excited to play. Never mind, day one patch. Sad but completely expected.

However, I didn't expect the 2+ hour load time over LAN that it took. I'm guessing 2+ because I fell asleep while I waited. Woke up around midnight. I could have started playing then but I knew I'd be going until work this morning. It took all my self-restraint to make myself wait until after work today. It's going to be a long day...

Nyx

Just finished chapter 11, I can't even....

Loved the tower part (those paintings were very well done btw!) and the getaway afterwards I was playing with a big smile on my face the entire time.

This seriously is one hell of a ride and I can't wait to see what's next.

Top Bottom