• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Finished chapter 10, I already have a Top 4 sequences/Set pieces but not sure of the order yet:

- Auction House Heist (die of envy James Bond!)
- Avery's Cave and escape in Scotland (everything collapses!)
- The Intro (Batman Begins! the whole firs and second chapters)
- Sam's escape from prison (Vorkuta!!!)

Runner up:

- Hanging jeep in Madagascar (damn that was a fucking insane moment, thank you winch!)

The worst so far:

- like 8hs left at work before I can keep playing. -_-

Vire

The writing in Chapter 4 is some of the best I've ever seen in a game. The dialogue is so incredibly natural, it just felt perfect...

Attention to detail in every scene is simply astounding and the amount of amazing environmental storytelling is a sight to behold.

If I had a complaint so far (up to Chapter 8), it's the over-reliance on stealth as I feel that you aren't nearly as beefy when it comes to HP and it punishes you to a certain extent for playing the game similarly to the last Uncharted's. Also I'm hoping the set pieces pick up as that feels a little lacking at the moment.

I just finished the intro, speaking specifically on the graphical department I haven't been blown away yet, only thing that impressed me was Drake's character model, specifically his face, but talking environment and graphics in general I haven't seen anything impressive yet.

Just started Chapter 10, such a bloody gorgeous game. Character writing is top-notch, the levels are expansive and filled with opportunity. I really appreciated that the levels have such freedom that I can get away with some very silly positions/antics whilst fighting enemies - I'm not railroaded into any style of gameplay. I'm also completely baffled at what sorcery ND did to get the game looking so stunning and yet playing so smoothly. (It did make me realise that it's been awhile since I played such a graphically heavy duty console game that ran so well. Hell, I can't even think of one that has run this well!) The small details in the mo cap + any added facial animation is just ludicrously good. I keep having a lot of undignified slack-jaw moments in cutscenes.

My only concern thus far is that like UC3, the locales haven't been doing much for me personally. I've been impressed graphically, but nothing has really brought about that joy and wonder from UC1/UC2. Exploring Versteckte Insel in UC1 was beautiful and green, with the right amount of ruins and puzzles. UC2 by this point had the incredible variety of Nepal, from the city itself to the breathtaking temples - let alone everything that came after! I absolutely don't want the game to be bombastic - I've been loving all the gentle, quiet moments! - it's just the locales themselves haven't been anything really refreshing. (
I have just arrived a Madagascar,
so it can only go up from there.)

This is also such a nitpicky complaint, but I have to admit the accents keep throwing me out of the game a bit. Nadine is incredible (dat gun show, dat hair), but she keeps bouncing between a South African and an Australian accent. I know there is a small bit of overlap between SA/UK/A/NZ, but the South Africans I know who have lived in Australia for years still haven't really developed that much of an Aussie twang. Regardless, I have now headcannoned that Nadine spent a few years working in Australia, single-handedly winning any and all arm wrestling matches she's been challenged with. Sam's accent is another one - he has a generic American accent in cut scenes, but then will often switch to full conversations with Nate in-game where he sounds like he's from Brooklyn, but then back to generic American accent again a moment later. I know accents can drift in and out when you've travelled around, but disappearing from entire conversations is quite jolting. It was wonderful to hear
Gideon Emery
pop up, though, and his accent was (obviously!) on point.

...it does show the calibre of UC4 when my only main complaint is that some of the accents are a bit weird. Sheesh, Naughty Gods. I can't wait to begin Chapter 10 properly!

Slixshot

Banned
I've made it to Chapter 7 in about 3/3.5 hours time... Are the latter chapters longer?? People saying this game is like 15 hours long, am I just cruising through or is this normal?

ebil

Follow-up to my post on the previous page: I've tried restarting the chapter
where my textures wouldn't load and it turns out they stopped loading altogether for some reason. Beginning of the chapter has low-res textures now.

That looks like a pretty huge glitch.

nib95

Banned
Pretty sure the ally AI is improved on Crushing. Got Sam stealth killing people for me randomly, and not only that but he seems to be a much more lethal shot. Taken out quite a few enemies for me, and has been a life saver in sticky situations. Only at the end of Scotland so far on this Crushing play through, but it's actually been pretty easy. Haven't died very much at all, mostly thanks to stealth.

cackhyena

I just finished the intro, speaking specifically on the graphical department I haven't been blown away yet, only thing that impressed me was Drake's character model, specifically his face, but talking environment and graphics in general I haven't seen anything impressive yet.
Really?

Gurish

Make the game bigger and more survival.... TLOU 2 is going to be epic !

I really hope ND will try to squeeze with TLOU2 everything they can out of the PS4 just like they did with U4, I'm afraid that because of the Neo they will just make the game they dream of on that hardware, and than just try to make it work on the PS4 rather than specialize the PS4 hardware and push it even further than U4.

Curufinwe

I asked last night but no one knew, so I'll try again.

In chapter 4:

There's a green object on a table at the far end of the attic that Drake can pick up and examine. What is it?

Ok.

That's too bad, what games impress you with "graphics in general?"

Falchion

You're one of those gamers eh? The kind that hates experimenting with button pushes to see what the output is.

My friend and I were playing The Division on PC and about 50 hours in he says to me, "I can't believe they (massive) didn't include a switch shoulders option." I told him to press shift or L3 on a game pad. His mind was blown that there were different buttons outside of shoot and throw grenades. ;)

The first thing I did when I got control of a gun was try to click both sticks to switch shoulders because that's so useful in Uncharted.

ebil

Okay, tried another chapter, same deal: hi-res textures won't load anymore. I have no idea how to fix that, I guess I should delete the game and download it again because it seems like it's pretty broken.

Edit: wow, it actually looks like my HDD is corrupt or dying, because I now have the same problem with Ratchet & Clank. Pretty unlucky that it happened in the middle of a chapter.

kyser73

The
conversation between Sam & Sully while Nate is on the phone to Elena...so nailed the unease between them, especially Sully's comment at the end and Sam's reaction...that's what's really impressive with the character animation, being able to read the faces...

Up to C7, finding the pacing really good, great intro, several wow moments, very nicely covered tutorials and amazing writing & direction in the cut scenes...interspersed with what are IMO well done encounters.

I'm loving this game. I'm fortunate in some ways in that I have no way to be able to play through in a couple of nights...can only do maybe one or two chapters...I can savour the flavour...

I asked last night but no one knew, so I'll try again.

In chapter 4:

There's a green object on a table at the far end of the attic that Drake can pick up and examine. What is it?

Are you talking about the Uncharted 2 belt buckle?

I don't know why the start of the game feels like a slog for me. Very slow pace and no major WOW moments outside of graphics are kinda killing momentum for me. Still haven't hit Chapter 9, which is apparently where it starts to feel more like Uncharted?

cackhyena

Okay, tried another chapter, same deal: hi-res textures won't load anymore. I have no idea how to fix that, I guess I should delete the game and download it again because it seems like it's pretty broken.
Fire up some other games before going through that trouble. Might be your system?

Bladenic

Nadine is Laura Bailey right? Talk about a different role (and I'm not referring to the race difference). And to the poster above, I've noticed that accent thing with Sam too.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I like how
when you play as Sam in the prison level, his movement seems slower/more stiff than Drake - because he's older. Did anyone else notice that?

I've made it to Chapter 7 in about 3/3.5 hours time... Are the latter chapters longer?? People saying this game is like 15 hours long, am I just cruising through or is this normal?

Yeah it's normal. The first several chapters are quite short, finishing multiple in an hour but they start getting longer later.

DNAbro

Multiplayer is good but why isn't their a progression/leveling up system? Honestly that is what usually keeps me coming back to multiplayer shooters.

KevinG

Made it to the beginning of chapter 5 last night.

Without spoiling anything, are all the chapters about the same length of play? Hoping I can finish before I go out of state for a week on Monday.

I completed Chapters 1 and 2 last evening. Wow, this game is just beautiful and I was just hanging on the story like I was watching a movie.

The one thing, after the first 2 chapters that really impressed me, was the mele combat. It is brutal and physical. You can feel the punches, it is obviously ripped straight from TLOU cause it feels so similar and was so effective in TLOU.

And that
Prison Fight
was just awesome. I loved the brutality of it!

Liamc723

Made it to the beginning of chapter 5 last night.

Without spoiling anything, are all the chapters about the same length of play? Hoping I can finish before I go out of state for a week on Monday.

Nope, chapters get longer as you progress. Some chapters are over an hour long.

Top Bottom