• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Floody

The way save files work in this game seems wrong.

I missed a treasure so I loaded up an earlier save. But then I missed the jump again and it autosaved on that earlier save so I can't go back now.

Why isn't there a seperate auto save?

You can probably just chapter select to the previous check-point.

T.O.P

Banned
I had the exact same problem. Normal in UC games I aim centre mass then adjust my aim up for head-shots. I've found in UC4 I'm doing the same thing but the reticle is above their heads so I'm having to adjust down.

Hope i'll get used to it because shit is gonna be the end of me when i'll try the MP :/

adz2ka

I love the game, but the controls are so so shit.

God knows why they don't follow the conventional control scheme of practically any other game ever

Give all the awards possible to the lighting designer of this game. Only played for a few hours last night, but had several jaw drop moments, many involving spectacular lighting. Some legit moments where my brain thought they were real life actors. I expected to be wowed by ND as always, but this is a massive jump. Nothing compares to this for me. The current lot of games on PC, jacked to max etc just doesn't complete the package ND brings to the table. It is the lighting, the attention to detail, the animation, camera work, etc. Loving the game so far. I am feeling more nostagic for the series than I expected. I am already looking for good deals on the collection so I can replay those when I am done with this game.

Naughty Dog are in a league of their own.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm so jealous of you fuckers. Canada Post delivered the game to me, but I'm stuck in a motel for a week until I can move into my new place, so all I can do is look at the case and maybe make sweet love to the Blu-ray. ;_;

Did people really expect another Uncharted in the same vein as the others after what Naughty Dog managed to learn and accomplish with TLoU? Like I'm actually curious, not trying to sound condescending.

Honestly, I really appreciate the lack of action to action moments and focus on story and exploration since it seems like the obvious direction for ND to go in after TLoU.

Well i cant speak for everyone, but i certainly wasnt expecting tlou structure with uncharted skin. I enjoyed the game alot, but it was jarring for a long while that i was once again pushing crates and giving leg ups 24/7.

TLoU is great, but that doesnt mean i think every game naughty dog makes should have this structure, considering what made U2-3 great was the fast paced structure.

I'm looking everywhere for treasures lol.

I barely even try in this game to look for treasures, the levels are too humongous lol. I already found U2/U3 quite hard actually.... especially when treasures were not even on the ground.... fml XD

U4 though is just lol. I don't even know where to begin looking 75% of the time XD

Only if it's super obvious in a "look over here first!" kind of way I will check for treasures. Otherwise fuck it, first playthrough is all about the whooping mercenary butt :p

Jawmuncher

I thought this was refreshing rather than just face waves followed by waves of enemies as you enter a new zone. They did a great job of placing encounters in spots that make sense without making it repetitive. The combat was always Uncharted's weaker mechanic to me so I appreciate the shifted focus to balance it with more exploration and platforming. The vistas you get to witness are the rewards from all the platforming to me.

For me I disagree. So far the game has been 5 minute encounters and the 55 minutes of exploring. The bombastic stuff was always what interested me more in uncharted. The story and dialog are good, but I wish they weren't tied to so many slow moments. I feel like TLOU had far better pacing for slow moments and then it's encounters so far.
Not saying UC4 is a bad game, but it's definitely not going to please all its fans.

Give all the awards possible to the lighting designer of this game. Only played for a few hours last night, but had several jaw drop moments, many involving spectacular lighting. Some legit moments where my brain thought they were real life actors. I expected to be wowed by ND as always, but this is a massive jump. Nothing compares to this for me. The current lot of games on PC, jacked to max etc just doesn't complete the package ND brings to the table. It is the lighting, the attention to detail, the animation, camera work, etc. Loving the game so far. I am feeling more nostagic for the series than I expected. I am already looking for good deals on the collection so I can replay those when I am done with this game.

Naughty Dog are in a league of their own.

I think it's Chapter 6 or 7
(Auction House Escape)
the light cues are amazing! that's some impressive design there.

Did people really expect another Uncharted in the same vein as the others after what Naughty Dog managed to learn and accomplish with TLoU? Like I'm actually curious, not trying to sound condescending.

Honestly, I really appreciate the lack of action to action moments and focus on story and exploration since it seems like the obvious direction for ND to go in after TLoU.

For me UC 1-3 are fun shooters with some amazing set pieces. TLOU is my favorite game of all time due to the fantastic story and pacing.

UC4 took the best parts of 1-3 and TLOU and created a fucking masterpiece!! This game has all the same vibes as TLOU did for me but without the sour taste in my mouth that made it hard to play sometimes.

I absolutely love all it so far and I think I am only around chapter 5-6 if I recall correctly. I'm really looking forward to the gameplay opening up but the story has me sucked right in.

Floody

I barely even try in this game to look for treasures, the levels are too humongous lol. I already found U2/U3 quite hard actually.... especially when treasures were not even on the ground.... fml XD

U4 though is just lol. I don't even know where to begin looking 75% of the time XD

Only if it's super obvious in a "look over here first!" kind of way I will check for treasures. Otherwise fuck it, first playthrough is all about the whooping mercenary butt :p

Same here, early on I was checking every where, but eventually I just said fuck it, I'll look at a guide when I'm done. Was way too many ways to look, and I constantly went the right way on accident.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I played about 4 chapters last night. My god it looks so fucking amazing and it feels so polished. the VO, animations, story, etc, so far has been top notch. Wouldn't expect anything less from ND. Taking my time with this one.

nib95

Banned
Using dynamite in Scotland even on crushing is so OP. Can wipe out entire groups of people from the comfort of stealth lol.

Kolgar

I think what's most impressive to me about the game so far, and it's really taken me by surprise, is the graphics. And not in the way that you think.

What's impressive to me about the graphics is that they aren't the star of the show. To me, the graphics, while jaw dropping, and absolutely the best consoles have to offer, don't really blow me away as much as I expected when compared with some games on my PC gaming rig (980 Ti, 4790k). Rise of the Tomb Raider, max settings at 60FPS and 1440P is in the same ballpark for graphics as Uncharted 4 @ 1080P/30FPS (to me, at least).

What's impressed me is that the graphics ARE NOT the highlight, or anywhere close to being the highlight, of the game for me. It's the writing, and the voice acting, and the attention to detail, and the incredible set pieces, and the plot progression, and the gameplay mechanics, and the pacing, and the variety, and the amazing polish.

After spending the last two years drooling over screenshots and wondering if they could ever match the initial reveal video, I'm so pleasantly surprised to see that graphics aren't the best thing this game has to offer. It's a 9.5 or 10/10 for me so far.

Absolutely agreed!

It's the human story that steals the spotlight through quality writing, voice acting, and motion capture.

In terms of pure visuals, The Order still takes it for me. But as an interactive entertainment experience, Uncharted 4 looks (from what I have seen) to be peerless.

A towering achievement for the medium.

I wanna give a shout out to the signposting in this game.

Game Maker's Toolkit made a really accessible video talking about how AAA developers like Naughty Dog or Valve use lighting/color choice to grab attention of the player to keep them directed in their cinematic action games. Uncharted 4 has such a consistently great use of lighting, composition, architectural art assets, audio cues, and color that constantly guides the player. Even in larger areas like Madagascar, there's great but understated use of guiding lines and sparsely placed architecture to grab the player's attention for potential exploration or necessary progression. Like Journey or Half-Life/Left 4 Dead, it makes it feel like you, the player, are discovering the world yourself, even if in actuality there's only one critical path the player can ever really go. Uncharted 4 in particular stretches that idea a bit further than previous games, with the size of battle areas, alternate climbing paths, big driving sections, the manual swinging, even the little dialog choices make the game seem less scripted and more player driven than it really is.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Its cool they have an option but I cant imagine playing any Uncharted game with lock on.

Zactly. Esp. when I always start on Hard for my first playthrough and then Crushing for the trophy mop-up playthrough. Maybe a third or fourth on Normal for grinding some annoying trophies like 500 RPG kills in UC3.

aravuus

None, he mostly does movies: Winter Soldier, X-Men First Class, Civil War and stuff.

Ah, that's a shame. Wouldn't mind seeing him score ND's next game too if they decide to go for another more dramatic narrative-driven game.

It's disgusting. Shit controls?? Like... I can understand a little "I wish this button did this instead" and whiel there are like 6 different control schemes, saying it's complete shit shit is just hyperbolic breh.

If they think it's shit, they think it's shit. If you want to call them stupid and disgusting for thinking that way, I don't know what to tell ya.

Some people may genuinely feel that way, you have to understand that.

e: I personally thought the controls were fine for the most part.
Definitely better than QB's, ugh that one.

nillah

Banned
The grappling hook is legit af. This is the first Uncharted game I'm experiencing with the DS4 and it feels great to pull out the map with the big touch button. Gon' have to stop myself from playing to have a lunch now lol

Ah, that's a shame. Wouldn't mind seeing him score ND's next game too if they decide to go for another more dramatic narrative-driven game.

If they think it's shit, they think it's shit. If you want to call them stupid and disgusting for thinking that way, I don't know what to tell ya.

Some people may genuinely feel that way, you have to understand that.

e: I personally thought the controls were fine for the most part.
Definitely better than QB's, ugh that one.

I personally find it repulsive and I am writing ND a nasty email telling them that someone thinks their controls are shit.

One thing i can't get over, am i the only one that when ADSing expects the aiming reticle to be lower? like i can never "feel" where i'll be aiming at

I just hit Chapter 10 and this is my most notable complaint. Whenever I pop out of cover, the reticle is never where I expect it to be and it makes combat super annoying right now. That and thanks to all this internet cognitive dissonance discussion on Drake (thanks internet ..grumble grumble), I have a hard time just running and gunning into encounters and just stubbornly take the stealth /melee approach.

I'm fine with the pacing thus far (kinda liked not having too much combat in the beginning) but the reticle thing absolutely bothers me.

Kysen

Does shareplay work with this game?

Also the game is really easy on hard compared to the other games. In the open areas I just shoot a couple of dudes then lose aggro, rinse and repeat.

T.O.P

Banned
It's disgusting. Shit controls?? Like... I can understand a little "I wish this button did this instead" and whiel there are like 6 different control schemes, saying it's complete shit shit is just hyperbolic breh.

You called the game a "masterpiece" a few post ago and nobody called you out for an hyperbolic statement as that one (obviously)

I personally find it repulsive and I am writing ND a nasty email telling them that someone thinks their controls are shit.

...what are you doing here tho is beyond me

Who even does that?? Lock-on turns the game into GTA, no fun allowed.

I've got no auto-aim on Hard mode, so fun. Good challenge. So fun to aim without auto-aim.

On the Dualshock 3 it would be too hard, but with the Dualshock 4 the precision is there to not need it which is great.

Rixxan

I really need to talk about Chapter
, which I just completed (a portion of which was shown during the E3 demo)

As far as all time gaming levels go, this is right at the top - what an absolute fucking masterpiece.

First of all, the
clocktower puzzle and platforming is probably right at the series best, the car chase turned bike escape, one of if not the series best, and then the confrontation with elena at the end -
are you fucking kidding me naughty dog?

i have no words for chapter
in this game, its bulletproof gaming perfection

Right.

If the controls were genuinely that bad, it would have been pointed out by reviewers and other impressions from those who played it.

You just don't like the controls and that is fine. That doesn't mean they are the worst controls in video games though.

I really need to talk about Chapter
, which I just completed (a portion of which was shown during the E3 demo)

As far as all time gaming levels go, this is right at the top - what an absolute fucking masterpiece.

First of all, the
clocktower puzzle and platforming is probably right at the series best, the car chase turned bike escape, one of if not the series best, and then the confrontation with elena at the end -
are you fucking kidding me naughty dog?

i have no words for chapter
in this game, its bulletproof gaming perfection

Oh god, I've left the game right at the start of that chapter last night... :'(

(still 6hs ahead at work)

rhino4evr

Made it up to chapter 6. Not a ton of shoot outs so far, but from what I've played, I'm having some trouble with my initial aim.

It's like I'm behind cover looking directly at the enemy and go to aim and my reticule is on the other side of the screen.

Has anyone tried the aim assistance? Does it make the game too easy? I'm seriously considering it, as I feel like I'm constantly fighting where I'm aiming.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I'm only up to chapter 7 or 8, I believe, where you enter
Scotland with Sam
, but I have to say the two moments that really hit home for me were early on when Nate is
sitting on the couch and zoning out of the conversation with Elena while focusing on the picture on the wall
and just before chapter 7 or 8 when Nate,
Sully and Sam are sitting at the table in Italy and Sully explains to Sam that Nate's out of the game. Sully's facial expressions in this scene truly convey something powerful and believable because I fully accept that Nate should be retired, as Sully puts it, and that he's making a mistake chasing this treasure. It made me feel very fucking bad Elena and sorry for Nate as in "that poor bastard doesn't know what's good for him." What's worse is that right before Nate gets up to call Elena, he elicits this youthful excitement for the treasure hunt, clearly forgetting the bigger picture of having to save his brother. Old habits die really fucking hard.

Sydle

Just started ch 7. Maybe I have a selective memory, but I don't recall these long cut scenes and little human touches like dialogue prompts while you're just walking with another character being in the other UC games. It's killing my enjoyment and I really hope these fall off further into the game. I just want to play it.

Jarmel

Banned
I just hit Chapter 10 and this is my most notable complaint. Whenever I pop out of cover, the reticle is never where I expect it to be and it makes combat super annoying right now.

Yea I'm having a similar issue. It's like the pistol aiming is slightly off.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Just started ch 7. Maybe I have a selective memory, but I don't recall these long cut scenes and little human touches like dialogue prompts while you're just walking with another character being in the other UC games. It's killing my enjoyment and I really hope these fall off further into the game. I just want to play it.

The dialogue prompts being an issue to you, which I believe are optional, is an odd complaint.

T.O.P

Banned
I just hit Chapter 10 and this is my most notable complaint. Whenever I pop out of cover, the reticle is never where I expect it to be and it makes combat super annoying right now. That and thanks to all this internet cognitive dissonance discussion on Drake (thanks internet ..grumble grumble), I have a hard time just running and gunning into encounters and just stubbornly take the stealth /melee approach.

I'm fine with the pacing thus far (kinda liked not having too much combat in the beginning) but the reticle thing absolutely bothers me.

Yup, as said before, i just hope i'll get used to it with a few more gunfights

Top Bottom