• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So I stopped playing last night at 2am when I got to
Avery's hidden cave in the cliff
so I think Chapter 8 or 9, I forget because I was just plowing through the game. Man its incredible and I loved Chapter 4, talk about a nostalgiafest, I actual got a little emotional which was actual kind of weird but then I think about the fact I've been playing this series since college over a decade ago so its actually been through a good chunk of my life and I did play through ND's older UC games many times over.

Overall the game is great, excellent really. The melee is a little sloppy still but the gunplay is great though I admit I don't get to use it much because of how much I'm using stealth. I've cleared several areas of enemies without alerting them once which I love that the game allows you to do that.

Just finished the game and Loved it! I hope Naughty Dog makes more Uncharted games.

I think Druckman had it backwards. The intro is devisive. I for one, think it's great.

End Game Spoilers :
No I am pretty bumped about how they ended it. It seems this was Nathan last adventure and I want more Uncharted games.

Jawmuncher

I'm on chapter 6 and I have to say that the beginning of this game is really boring. It looks wonderful, but goddamn it's boring.

Most of this game has been boring if you were expecting something more akin to earlier games. I get bits of awesome set pieces and gun fights and then long times of just running around and doing puzzles and or platforming. They really shifted the focus on this one

I'm on chapter 6 and I have to say that the beginning of this game is really boring. It looks wonderful, but goddamn it's boring.

It's okay, given that it's the last game and i'm a fan. But i agree that it's a bit slow for my taste. Too many cutscenes too. But after chapter 6 and 7 the game is shifting more and more towards pure gameplay i heard (i'm in chapter 7 myself). So, it's all good.

aravuus

Yeah, surprisingly ended up liking the OST after thinking the other Uncharted games had super bland soundtracks.

There were a couple of encounters (in
Scotland
iirc) that had this insanely tense violin or something playing on the background. Really liked that song, I gotta find it.

e: I thiiiink it was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV9MYfp8Gxo&index=8&list=PLpWAlPv9GHA8bLi152hZGPbIFzTeyuGaE

amazing stuff. Wonder what other games this guy has scored.

JTripper

Most of this game has been boring if you were expecting something more akin to earlier games. I get bits of awesome set pieces and gun fights and then long times of just running around and doing puzzles and or platforming. They really shifted the focus on this one

I thought this was refreshing rather than just face waves followed by waves of enemies as you enter a new zone. They did a great job of placing encounters in spots that make sense without making it repetitive. The combat was always Uncharted's weaker mechanic to me so I appreciate the shifted focus to balance it with more exploration and platforming. The vistas you get to witness are the rewards from all the platforming to me.

Pejo

Made it to Chp 6 last night and the game crashed on me, but it was late so I took it as a good stopping point.

Impressions so far: Visuals, animation, voice acting are on a whole new level. These characters actually feel like real people - which is probably a first for me in a videogame. Pacing is really great so far. The game isn't afraid to slow itself down a bit to expand on things, which I like. There hasn't been a whole lot of gameplay thus far, and I made a huge mistake leaving the snap targeting on (since I didn't really know what it was). Disabling that has helped a lot. Locations have been varied and fun to traverse. Rope mechanic is pretty cool.

I'm sure the game gets more playtime the further you progress, but honestly, I'd love it if this was the direction that movies were headed. I can already tell this is going to be an extremely fun ride, and the fact that it's interactive makes it that much easier to get immersed in.

Really excited to see what happens next.

just started my play through this morning and I'm already loving it.

I just reached the bit where his
brother see's him again after so many years
.... gotta say even though I've barely seen or gone through much
with nates brother I can feel the brotherly connections already
, the strength of ND story telling already showing this early

Also love the start screen, reminds me of TLOU

Griss

I've never thought an Uncharted game was worth all 60 euros (because I typically don't play multiplayer and hate the collectible aspect so replayability is low) but the reviews and impressions cannot be denied. That, plus the fear of spoilers (which I have miraculously avoided until now) has got me to purchase the game. Hopefully it's downloaded by the time work is over.

I'm usually quite frugal, but ever since I got a better job I'm spending way more money than I should on games! Naughty Dog don't let me down!

Man oh man is this game boring as fuck, people weren't kidding when they said slow start. Here I was thinking TLOU start was dreadful yet here we are, I know things will speed up but Jeezas I hate story being forced on me.

Also my PS4 having a stroke.

It's okay, given that it's the last game and i'm a fan. But i agree that it's a bit slow for my taste. Too many cutscenes too. But after chapter 6 and 7 the game is shifting more and more towards pure gameplay i heard (i'm in chapter 7 myself). So, it's all good.

I'm alright with story telling and character development but this is different. It seems like fluff to me. I'm going to finish no doubt, but this is a bit different for an UC game - I've finished the previous 3.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Gotta echo that there is too much in terms of cutscenes and walking so far, on chapter 6 ATM. That being said I'm loving every minute of it given its the last ride and how well its done. Just can't see myself replaying this start to finish too often with all the forced walking.

Made it to Chp 6 last night and the game crashed on me, but it was late so I took it as a good stopping point.

Are crashes prevalent with UC4?

I was just at the
prison escape part when you have to jump across a rooftop to follow Rafe
and it crashed on me when I was in mid air. That was only like an hour into the game, so should I be expecting more of these throughout my play through?

For a franchise that only started last generation, the leap from 3 to 4 is immense. It's definitely one of largest leaps I've seen since the PS1/N64 days and the only games that are comparable in this regard are Metal Gear Solid 4 and 5. Only I feel here its done in a more meaningful way while keeping the original game design within its DNA. Often times MGSV felt like it was something entirely else.

Loved the game. Definitely surpassed Among Thieves and The Last of Us for me. If this is all we get from Naughty Dog this generation, it would be bitter sweet. Seems like the perfect time to build a new IP and universe for the next decade alongside The Last of Us after that amazing end of this series.

Best wishes.

I was just at the
and it crashed on me. That was only like an hour into the game, so should I be expecting more of these throughout my play through?
I played through the whole SP in one sitting with no crashes. Also played quite a bit of the MP and haven't had a single crash. You two are literally the first ones I've heard of who've had crashing issues with UC4.

T.O.P

Banned
Man oh man is this game boring as fuck, people weren't kidding when they said slow start. Here I was thinking TLOU start was dreadful yet here we are, I know things will speed up but Jeezas I hate story being forced on me.

Also my PS4 having a stroke.

Yeah the start is kinda eh, the fun started at ch6 for me

Auctopus

Just finished the game and Loved it! I hope Naughty Dog makes more Uncharted games.

End Game Spoilers :
No I am pretty bumped about how they ended it. It seems this was Nathan last adventure and I want more Uncharted games.

They've made it explicitly clear from the start through interviews and marketing that this would be the last Uncharted ND will make.

I was just at the
and it crashed on me when I was in mid air. That was only like an hour into the game, so should I be expecting more of these throughout my play through?

Played it in nearly one session and the only bug I even encountered was my character falling through the floor in Chapter 4 but that was before I installed any patches.

Yeah, surprisingly ended up liking the OST after thinking the other Uncharted games had super bland soundtracks.

There were a couple of encounters (in
Scotland
iirc) that had this insanely tense violin or something playing on the background. Really liked that song, I gotta find it.

e: I thiiiink it was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV9MYfp8Gxo&index=8&list=PLpWAlPv9GHA8bLi152hZGPbIFzTeyuGaE

amazing stuff. Wonder what other games this guy has scored.

None, he mostly does movies: Winter Soldier, X-Men First Class, Civil War and stuff.

noomi

One thing I just can't get used to is the controls.... especially after just playing through the entire Uncharted collection.... and even any other game for that matter on the playstation.

I NEED to have reload either be R1 or Square.

Where does grenade, rope, and melee go then :/

Yes, I mean it looks nice, should I have been blown away already by now?

Ok.

That's too bad, what games impress you with "graphics in general?"

I play mostly on PC but so maybe that's why? Like I said Drake's character model impressed me but besides that I see higher resolution than previous games, a cleaner picture but it kind of looks like it is the same engine they used before but on steroids. Better looking but I don't see any incredible graphical leap.
BTW I just started the first chapter after the intro and this underwater diving part looked quite nice.

One thing I just can't get used to is the controls.... especially after just playing through the entire Uncharted collection.... and even any other game for that matter on the playstation.

I NEED to have reload either be R1 or Square.

I will say this messed me up all the way through the game. I've been conditioned to think R1 is reload and threw so many explosives. It's not a big deal however.

I was just at the

Played through Chapter 7, have had 2 crashes so far.

Pejo

I was just at the

That was the first time I had a crash in 4~ hours of play, so it wasn't a frequent thing for me at least. That's also the first time that a game actually crashed on me, I've had games freeze my ps4 so I had to hard reset it, but this one actually crashed out of the game and back to the ps4 UI with an error code that I submitted.

noomi

I will say this messed me up all the way through the game. I've been conditioned to think R1 is reload and threw so many explosives. It's not a big deal however.

Now that i think about it, for me the perfect solution would be

l2 aim
l1 nade
r2 fire
r1 reload

triangle rope
square melee
circle roll/cover
x jump

PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN

Floody

I was just at the

Finished the game and had zero crashes, had a few sound and animation glitches though.

BumRush

CHAPTER 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jets-fan-fist-pump-against-bills.gif

T.O.P

Banned
One thing i can't get over, am i the only one that when ADSing expects the aiming reticle to be lower? like i can never "feel" where i'll be aiming at

I can't really explain it well, it's just weird

Salarians

Whew, (early game spoilers)
the attic reminiscing made me a lot more emotional than I was expecting, but then seeing the wedding photos...
fuck, man.

I think what's most impressive to me about the game so far, and it's really taken me by surprise, is the graphics. And not in the way that you think.

What's impressive to me about the graphics is that they aren't the star of the show. To me, the graphics, while jaw dropping, and absolutely the best consoles have to offer, don't really blow me away as much as I expected when compared with some games on my PC gaming rig (980 Ti, 4790k). Rise of the Tomb Raider, max settings at 60FPS and 1440P is in the same ballpark for graphics as Uncharted 4 @ 1080P/30FPS (to me, at least).

What's impressed me is that the graphics ARE NOT the highlight, or anywhere close to being the highlight, of the game for me. It's the writing, and the voice acting, and the attention to detail, and the incredible set pieces, and the plot progression, and the gameplay mechanics, and the pacing, and the variety, and the amazing polish.

After spending the last two years drooling over screenshots and wondering if they could ever match the initial reveal video, I'm so pleasantly surprised to see that graphics aren't the best thing this game has to offer. It's a 9.5 or 10/10 for me so far.

Blinck

It's a testament to the game that even though I am free from work today, I am not allowed to play because my girlfriend isn't home. She has watched everything so far, and she is a far cry from a gamer. Dark Souls makes her bored, fighting games she hates, but these types of games are her jam. She has too many problems controlling the camera in 3D games to play herself, (even though she did beat Tomb Raider 2013 on easy!) but she enjoys watching.

Jesus christ, you've stolen my gf ! :p just like yours she is far from being a "gamer",has trouble controlling 3D cameras, but she did beat Tomb Raider 2013 on easy!

She does like to watch me play Dark Souls though, just to be a cheerleader during boss fights!

I need this fucking game.

WITHE1982

One thing i can't get over, am i the only one that when ADSing expects the aiming reticle to be lower? like i can never "feel" where i'll be aiming at

I can't really explain it well, it's just weird

I had the exact same problem. Normal in UC games I aim centre mass then adjust my aim up for head-shots. I've found in UC4 I'm doing the same thing but the reticle is above their heads so I'm having to adjust down.

chifanpoe

Made it up to chapter 8 yesterday. Amazing game. Has the Uncharted feel (as it should) but also some nice Last of Us touches to it as well. Thank you Naughty Dog!

I'm still bummed that there was( SPOILER ALERT)
no supernatural enemies

Kind of same here, the
mummys and pirate ghost talk
felt like they were teasing us, it would of been alot more interesting final act than all of the padding instead.

The final act would easily be my favorite if not for that, cause
Elana
stuff in this game was gold.

JTripper

Did people really expect another Uncharted in the same vein as the others after what Naughty Dog managed to learn and accomplish with TLoU? Like I'm actually curious, not trying to sound condescending.

Honestly, I really appreciate the lack of action to action moments and focus on story and exploration since it seems like the obvious direction for ND to go in after TLoU.

Dawg

The way save files work in this game seems wrong.

I missed a treasure so I loaded up an earlier save. But then I missed the jump again and it autosaved on that earlier save so I can't go back now.

Why isn't there a seperate auto save?

Top Bottom