• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Levito

Banned
How many chapters are there in the game? I made it to Chapter 8 last night and wouldn't mind finishing the game tonight if I can.

Pacing is perfect for me. Just what I was hoping for. I love when a game gives you space to breathe and immerses you in a story, rather than relying on non-stop pew pew for instant gratification. Love it.

Donos

I think an U4 just in the gameplay vein of U2/U3 with the gfx of U4 would not have gotten that many 9 and 10s. Especially after TLOU. But i understand that some people may have expected that and are disappointed with the more evolved gameplay structure.

Tiktaalik

"Escaping out of the orphanage" is a cool set idea, but it really fell apart for me when young Nathan was doing epic leaps that would have certainly killed or maimed him. It just starts to get unbelievably absurd.

Maybe I'm crazy but the "epic jump" distance in general felt extended from previous games. Even in the next area as grown up Nate some of the leaps felt extra unbelievable, like beyond "unrealistically heroic" and well into "absurd super hero."

I'm sitting on my couch thinking, were they all like this, or have I just been playing too much Bloodbourne and Dark Souls recently and I've totally forgotten what the old games were like?

This is not really a serious complaint at all. I'm more just wondering if anyone was getting the same vibe.

I'll have to replay the previous games after this and see if I notice any difference.

fastmower

Made it up to chapter 6. Not a ton of shoot outs so far, but from what I've played, I'm having some trouble with my initial aim.

It's like I'm behind cover looking directly at the enemy and go to aim and my reticule is on the other side of the screen.

Has anyone tried the aim assistance? Does it make the game too easy? I'm seriously considering it, as I feel like I'm constantly fighting where I'm aiming.
Yep, the reticule is never where I predict it's going to be. That on top of slightly wonky aiming feel makes shooting difficult to enjoy.

Made it up to chapter 6. Not a ton of shoot outs so far, but from what I've played, I'm having some trouble with my initial aim.

It's like I'm behind cover looking directly at the enemy and go to aim and my reticule is on the other side of the screen.

Has anyone tried the aim assistance? Does it make the game too easy? I'm seriously considering it, as I feel like I'm constantly fighting where I'm aiming.

Had the same problem but I've made progress after the place you're at. Tried the aim assistance like one second because when I saw what it was... jesus... it's not assistance at all, it's Ace Combat lock on! impossible to miss a bullet.

So tell me, what are you supposed to call shit if not the things you (highly) dislike?
A myriad of things. There are things I highly dislike that are not necessarily "shit". It just means I do not care for it.

For example, I highly dislike Halo for various reasons. That doesn't make it a shit shooter.

"Escaping out of the orphanage" is a cool set idea, but it really fell apart for me when young Nathan was doing epic leaps that would have certainly killed or maimed him. It just starts to get unbelievably absurd.

Maybe I'm crazy but the "epic jump" distance in general felt extended from previous games. Even in the next area as grown up Nate some of the leaps felt extra unbelievable, like beyond "unrealistically heroic" and well into "absurd super hero."

I'm sitting on my couch thinking, were they all like this, or have I just been playing too much Bloodbourne and Dark Souls recently and I've totally forgotten what the old games were like?

This is not really a serious complaint at all. I'm more just wondering if anyone was getting the same vibe.

I'll have to replay the previous games after this and see if I notice any difference.

That.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

Nate and company have made equally, if not more absurd jumps and leaps in the previous games, although I do concede that the orphanage escape took me out of my element in retrospect, only because I didn't think to myself how unbelievable it was while playing that section due to the fact that I was too enamored by the visuals and what I was doing to notice.

JayB1920

Just reached Chapter 13. Loving the game so far. Only complaint is I would have placed the intro action scene at the end of chapter 12 rather than having it at the beginning of the game. Game was due for an action scene at that point after an hour plus of exploring/climbing/puzzles. Besides pacing issues it removed any doubt about a characters fate in the prison flashback by placing it at the beginning.

T.O.P

Banned

The only complain i have about this (hell it's a videogame in the end, i don't really care) is when you see Nate jumping to reach a pole or something and you can clearly make out that he would miss it completaly but instead the game make his body snap like a few cm abovo so that he can grab it

It's minor but i was expecting it to be less visible compared to the old games

Oni3298

I just hit Chapter 10 and this is my most notable complaint. Whenever I pop out of cover, the reticle is never where I expect it to be and it makes combat super annoying right now. That and thanks to all this internet cognitive dissonance discussion on Drake (thanks internet ..grumble grumble), I have a hard time just running and gunning into encounters and just stubbornly take the stealth /melee approach.

I'm fine with the pacing thus far (kinda liked not having too much combat in the beginning) but the reticle thing absolutely bothers me.

I echo this sentiment. Its definitely a little jarring and is so far the main negative I have with the game. This is one of those things that I really feel like needs to be patched.

Otherwise, I'm INCREDIBLY happy with the game. My goodness is it just an absolute treat to play.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Live streamed the first hour fifty minutes last night, and man, what a game! I played up to the end of Chapter
I didn't expect the game to begin the way it did, but I loved it. It's going to be a long damn day at work, because my play through ended when things started getting even more interesting than they already were.

I'm really liking how the story is being presented as well. Different from the other Uncharteds. I can also clearly see the effect the experience of working on the Last of Us has had on Uncharted. Naughty Dog is such an impressive studio, and you can tell the post-mortems they do on their games are taken to heart and applied to the next project.

Sigh. It's going to be such a long work day...*cries*

Pitty that The Order 1886 is nowhere near this as a game... we need more games like Uncharted 4, I need more games like Uncharted 4. The Order is such a missed opportunity even if I really like it.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Also, I'm excited at the prospects of a PS4Neo mode for this game with some improved shadows, less dithering and 60fps. Oh mang.

But as of right now this is the smoothest 30fps game I have ever played which almost feels like 60fps. Don't really understand how, either, because it's 30fps! lol

I love this game. I think I'm nearing the end of chapter 8? Stopped last night.

Everything I wasn't feeling about Uncharted before has been addressed. Combat encounters are so much more fun, and I love that (so far) it's not just clearing waves of enemies. You have a set number and you take them out.

Platforming is great this time. Some of the slide puzzles are a bit odd (parts where you have to like jump up the slop while sliding down are awkward but it's fun enough)

aravuus

A myriad of things. There are things I highly dislike that are not necessarily "shit". It just means I do not care for it.

For example, I highly dislike Halo for various reasons. That doesn't make it a shit shooter.

Okay, so clearly it's simply not a word you use to describe your distaste for something. But it is for a lot of other people. People use words differently to convey their thoughts, some words may come across as much stronger than they were intended to others, so the next time someone says something that bothers you, just imagine the words "I think" before the sentence. Or "IMO" after it.

Problem solved.

Because if we go down the rabbit hole of what could and couldn't be called shit, we're gonna be talking all day about objectivity and subjectivity and language and how people use language and that's not gonna get us anywhere.

e: you sound like my ex-gf in a way. She insisted I'd never say I hate anything, cause hate is such an insanely strong word for her, like the word was only reserved for the worst of the worst. But it's not for me, I hate a lot of things. Like waking up early tomorrow to work.

Well i cant speak for everyone, but i certainly wasnt expecting tlou structure with uncharted skin. I enjoyed the game alot, but it was jarring for a long while that i was once again pushing crates and giving leg ups 24/7.

TLoU is great, but that doesnt mean i think every game naughty dog makes should have this structure, considering what made U2-3 great was the fast paced structure.

This. This is an action centric series where the strength has always been the huge action moments. So making a game with a lot less of those moments and slowing down the action did not seem like a good idea to me. if they made everything else as good as the big action moments then fine but the action is still by far the best part.

Auctopus

How did people not like this OST man, some of these tracks are amazing! Opinions and all that.

It feels expensive. I think people don't like that Nate's theme isn't thrown in front of your face 24/7.

It's the only Uncharted soundtrack I actually noticed how excellent some moments were during playing. The theme that plays whilst in gunfights is especially good.

But guys... I'm counting the action in this game to be oustanding and thrilling... and there are lot's of moments full of action and spectacularity... adn I'm only at chapter 11.

WITHE1982

Yeah, so my girlfriend bought me uncharted 4. Hyped!

5478755064_9eb7ba0b40.jpg

My wife bought mine for me so I have, in turn, bought a copy for one of my mates at work. Eventually the entire world will have Uncharted 4.

Also, I'm excited at the prospects of a PS4Neo mode for this game with some improved shadows, less dithering and 60fps. Oh mang.

I have my fingers crossed that if all the rumors are true, Sony will ask Naughty Dog to go back and patch in a "Neo mode" for this game as it's such a flagship for the system. Just the thought of it makes my brain melt a little.

Sydle

The dialogue prompts being an issue to you, which I believe are optional, is an odd complaint.

Just lots of little touches like that though. I don't enjoy them in any game and I don't think they add any value to this game.

The worst one so far was ch 6
when I saw the part under the bridge where I needed to swing my rope to, so I just went running for it, jumped, and pressed L1 to throw out the rope only to fall to my death. I restart on the cliff edge, Sam catches up, we have a forced exchange to instill some brotherly competitive BS, he hands me the rope, and we're on our way.
WTF. I don't remember any of this stuff being forced in the other games.

Elitist1945

Is anyone else having a huge problem getting passed
the huge turret dude
in, I believe, Chapter 12?

Edit: it's probably way higher than that. Whatever Chapter takes place in New
Deven

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Just lots of little touches like that though. I don't enjoy them in any game and I don't think they add any value to this game.

The worst one so far was ch 6
when I saw the part under the bridge where I needed to swing my rope to, so I just went running for it, jumped, and pressed L1 to throw out the rope only to fall to my death. I restart on the cliff edge, Sam catches up, we have a forced exchange to instill some brotherly competitive BS, he hands me the rope, and we're on our way.
WTF. I don't remember any of this stuff being forced in the other games.

Was the exchange forced or did you actually press triangle? And by forced do you mean you were physically incapable of swinging once Sam began to speak? Don't call me crazy, but Uncharted thrives on being a cinematic game, one whose natural evolution via this game was to include optional dialogue and moments of discourse through gameplay, many of which could have been put into a cut-scene instead. I don't think I can bend my understanding enough to agree with you on this complaint.

Also, there was a plethora of moments in the older games in which you couldn't proceed past certain points or even do more than walk at a snail's pace because an NPC or character was interacting with you. This is very common within the series.

nib95

Banned
One thing i can't get over, am i the only one that when ADSing expects the aiming reticle to be lower? like i can never "feel" where i'll be aiming at

I can't really explain it well, it's just weird

Two things cause this. First and most obvious is recoil. The second is Drake flinching when getting shot at whilst aiming. When flinching, your aim is usually bounced or nudged upwards. Just aim to compensate for these things.

Liamc723

I've just finished the game. It's the best one in the series and by far the best PS4 game available right now.

Those graphics man, easily the best looking game I've ever played.

Sydle

Was the exchange forced or did you actually press triangle? And by forced do you mean you were physically incapable of swinging once Sam began to speak?

There was no rope to swing. I press L1 in the air like I did half a dozen times before this chapter, but nothing. Then Sam caught up, he talked and then handed me the rope.

The conversations while we were walking were just annoying. Why not just have Nate respond automatically so we can keep moving? That's how I remember it in the other games. Why do I need to press something to respond? It breaks the pace of the game for me. Maybe there's an option to automatically respond? I'll look for that later. Surely it's there.

Was the exchange forced or did you actually press triangle? And by forced do you mean you were physically incapable of swinging once Sam began to speak? Don't call me crazy, but Uncharted thrives on being a cinematic game, one whose natural evolution via this game was to include optional dialogue and moments of discourse through gameplay, many of which could have been put into a cut-scene instead. I don't think I can bend my understanding enough to agree with you on this complaint.

Also, there was a plethora of moments in the older games in which you couldn't proceed past certain points or even do more than walk at a snail's pace because an NPC or character was interacting with you. This is very common within the series.

I don't recall them that way. My favorite was Uncharted 2 (and still in my top 5 games ever) and that game felt like it was constantly moving and never in my way, but perhaps it's been so long that I've forgotten some things.

Do enemies respawn if you don't clear an encounter for a long time? I'm playing on Crushing and i had this group of 20+ enemies down to what I thought was just 3 at the back of the arena, but i was going very slow and all of a sudden dude shoots me from behind even though that whole area had been clear for a long time

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
There was no rope to swing. I press L1 in the air like I did half a dozen times before this chapter, but nothing. Then Sam caught up, he talked and then handed me the rope.

The conversations while we were walking were just annoying. Why not just have Nate respond automatically so we can keep moving? That's how I remember it in the other games. Why do I need to press something to respond? It breaks the pace of the game for me. Maybe there's an option to automatically respond? I'll look for that later. Surely it's there.

But that's my point, aren't you able to progress even if you don't initiate that conversation by pressing triangle? This is what I'm trying to confirm. And let's assume that you have to have that conversation anyway to continue forward, the fact that it's an option as to when you have it can only be seen as a positive for me because you're not taken away from an area prematurely should you want to continue exploring or something like that.

aravuus

I've been listening to the OST for a while now on Youtube, it's definitely good stuff. Very good.

Do enemies respawn if you don't clear an encounter for a long time? I'm playing on Crushing and i had this group of 20+ enemies down to what I thought was just 3 at the back of the arena, but i was going very slow and all of a sudden dude shoots me from behind even though that whole area had been clear for a long time

They shouldn't. It was probably just someone you happened to miss flanking you. Apparently the AI is pretty smart on crushing.

T.O.P

Banned
Two things cause this. First and most obvious is recoil. The second is Drake flinching when getting shot at whilst aiming. When flinching, your aim is usually bounced or nudged upwards. Just aim to compensate for these things.

Nope, it's a different thing, as other have said, the moment i aim the reticle is not where i expect it to be

I remember being able to line up headshots in the first games instanly when going into ADS mode

Something that would help me with this issue is having the reticle always on-screen, i googled it and a review reported it to be available in the option menu (if anyone can confirm), gonna check it out later after work anyway

aravuus

I will spoiler tag this cause this involves some of the bonuses you can unlock

Play the chase with slow motion on. It's so awesome. I took a ton of pics, crazy stuff.

Heh, this is the first thing that came to my mind when I saw that modifier in the list. Will definitely test it tomorrow.

I'm not sure if you can aim while driving, but I noticed that
bullet time
still has an effect over
the slow-mo
modifier, so with both on the game
slows down to a crawl when aiming. I had the physics glitch on me a couple of times when I gave it a quick try though, unfortunately.

e: I really don't think these are spoilers, but I tagged them just in case

Top Bottom