• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Chase17

I'm going to need to play a platformer or something next, any story driven game will feel lacking.

Might just start a crushing replay later this week. Surprisingly struggled with some of the encounters on normal. Beat U3 on crushing with little problem, but can't get the feel for it in this game, even though it plays so much better.

Think I'll try a bit of multiplayer today. See how that goes.

Whoever mentioned that treasures were hide to find this time around wasn't kidding.

I've missed more than I've found so far and the ones I have found were by complete accident. I feel like I've searched every square foot of each area too.

Jarmel

Banned
I think I'm up to Chapter 8 or 9 and my impressions are somewhat mixed. It feels like they wanted to make another TLOU and they sort of mashed together Uncharted and TLOU with various degrees of success.

-The pacing so far is glacially slow, probably the slowest of any Naughty Dog game. I understand why they're doing it for character development and setup but there it is. It's not just the lack of action but certain gameplay segments just drag on for way too long. The
orphanage and Italy
are two prime examples where the platforming sections are just too long for how uninvolved the platforming is. Parts in
Scotland
have a similar issue in that I'm hoping it's over because of how dull it is.

-The character writing is pretty stellar and this is assisted by the super high quality of the animations. I think though that Rafe might be a bit too over the top but they might expand on him later.

-I'm less impressed with the graphics which are topnotch and more so by the art direction. This probably has the best art direction of any Uncharted game.

-The aiming feels off. This is a problem I've never had with any Uncharted game (even UC3) or TLOU.

nib95

Banned
Nope, it's a different thing, as other have said, the moment i aim the reticle is not where i expect it to be

I remember being able to line up headshots in the first games instanly when going into ADS mode

Something that would help me with this issue is having the reticle always on-screen, i googled it and a review reported it to be aavailable in the option menu (if anyone can confirm), gonna check it out later after work anyway

What do you mean not where you expect it to be? How would you know till you actually aim? Your estimations are probably just off. Without a constant on screen reticule it'd basically be impossible to consistently have a headshot lined up the moment you went in to ADS. Don't forget most weapons don't have a precision dot reticule even during ADS either, at least not till you're actually on target, instead they have a slightly wider one depending on the weapon, Eg a triangle, wider circle, oval etc, so with some weapons (Eg shotguns) there's always a level of skill required getting the absolute centre. Alternatively try turning off aim assist, and see if that helps you. Or if it persists, turn on lock on.

Okay, so clearly it's simply not a word you use to describe your distaste for something. But it is for a lot of other people. People use words differently to convey their thoughts, some words may come across as much stronger than they were intended to others, so the next time someone says something that bothers you, just imagine the words "I think" before the sentence. Or "IMO" after it.

Problem solved.

Because if we go down the rabbit hole of what could and couldn't be called shit, we're gonna be talking all day about objectivity and subjectivity and language and how people use language and that's not gonna get us anywhere.

e: you sound like my ex-gf in a way. She insisted I'd never say I hate anything, cause hate is such an insanely strong word for her, like the word was only reserved for the worst of the worst. But it's not for me, I hate a lot of things. Like waking up early tomorrow to work.

I actually agree with his critique. There is a trend of speaking in hyperbole that, honestly, is not conducive to interesting discourse (which is the entire point of a forum). I don't like Taylor Swift, but I don't call her a "shit artist" because I recognize her ability and talent regardless of my taste.

When people speak in hyperbole frequently it essentially renders their statements and opinions as meaningless. Those statements lack any nuance or intelligent points which results in them being devoid of any real meaning. It turns conversations into people making absolute statements and saying - "I can have any opinion I want. Don't correct me!"

Personally, I think a lot of this is fueled by radio and 24 hour news. The discourse there is highly reflective of speaking in extremes while essentially spinning the wheels of actual discussion. It results in entrenching people's opinions, but really offers no value as far as creating actual dialogue goes.

So yes, you have a right to say whatever you want. But I wouldn't expect such poorly articulated statements to be engaged with and don't be surprised when they're dismissed.

But as of right now this is the smoothest 30fps game I have ever played which almost feels like 60fps. Don't really understand how, either, because it's 30fps! lol

For real. I'm not too strict with non 60fps games but as I played, I forgot that it was 30fps!

This is the longest work day ever.

Qvoth

just reached chapter 8, having a blast with the game
totally don't get the complaints about slow start at all
wtzgU.gif

BFIB

People are unhappy with the beginning? I'm glad to see Nate not slaughter a small country worth of inhabitants.

Rocwell

Anyone notice the little easter egg references to other games?

Sully mentions
Arstotzka
in a dialogue which is a reference to
Papers Please

And one of the Pirate Lords is literally
Guybrush Threepwood from Monkey Island.
You can even see part of his name on his portrait.

aravuus

I actually agree with his critique. There is a trend of speaking in hyperbole that, honestly, is not conducive to interesting discourse (which is the entire point of a forum). I don't like Taylor Swift, but I don't call her a "shit artist" because I recognize her ability and talent regardless of my taste.

When people speak in hyperbole frequently it essentially renders their statements and opinions as meaningless. Those statements lack any nuance or intelligent points which results in them being devoid of any real meaning. It turns conversations into people making absolute statements and saying - "I can have any opinion I want. Don't correct me!"

Personally, I think a lot of this is fueled by radio and 24 hour news. The discourse there is highly reflective of speaking in extremes while essentially spinning the wheels of actual discussion. It results in entrenching people's opinions, but really offers no value as far as creating actual dialogue goes.

So yes, you have a right to say whatever you want. But I wouldn't expect such poorly articulated statements to be engaged with and don't be surprised when they're dismissed.

Well, I'm gonna have to disagree here and there, but I've procrastinated too much today already so I'm not gonna start tackling every paragraph individually.

So I'm just gonna point out that the problem is very simply just that he used a stronger word you would have used to describe their feelings on the game's controls. That's it. It's your prerogative to ignore those posts. I'm not going to call you out for that, nobody should, you're free to weigh other's opinions according to the language they used as much as you want.

But you should NOT be calling them stupid or disgusting for that. It's far more childish than someone describing their feelings in what you perceive a hyperbolical manner.

a little underwhelmed with the game so far, graphics aside

the story and characters aren't quite grabbing me yet.. i find (thru chapter 9)
nates brother weirdly similar to harry flynn from uncharted 2.. right down to the constant jokes about nate's weight.. I'm fully expecting some kind of betrayal twist at this point .. my favorite segment was the domestic life of elena and drake

struggling a bit with the controls too.. i keep jumping out of cover on accident

Salz01

You ain't seen any thing yet, the game is constantly screenshot heaven, had my stopping and just panning the camera around 15 hours in.

So does the wow ness factor in the environments carry all the way through to the end?

I just got to chap 5. It feels most here have big wow moments around chapters 8-11, but not much so after that. Could be most haven't gotten farther.

Moze

Banned
Aiming feels completely off in this. I am finding it pretty hard to pull off headshots. I had absolutely no problem getting headshots in the previous 3 games.

nib95

Banned
What the hell, I just found a firefly dogtag treasure in the caves of Scotland. It was well hidden and all. Dead guys name was Druckley 000. Anyone get The Last of Us reference?

"Escaping out of the orphanage" is a cool set idea, but it really fell apart for me when young Nathan was doing epic leaps that would have certainly killed or maimed him. It just starts to get unbelievably absurd.

Maybe I'm crazy but the "epic jump" distance in general felt extended from previous games. Even in the next area as grown up Nate some of the leaps felt extra unbelievable, like beyond "unrealistically heroic" and well into "absurd super hero."

I'm sitting on my couch thinking, were they all like this, or have I just been playing too much Bloodbourne and Dark Souls recently and I've totally forgotten what the old games were like?

This is not really a serious complaint at all. I'm more just wondering if anyone was getting the same vibe.

I'll have to replay the previous games after this and see if I notice any difference.

I totally agree. The jumps were insane lol. The intro has nothing on LoU, not sure why people said it was better

That said, I do love that ND does intros REALLY well. No one does it like that

fastmower

What do you mean not where you expect it to be? How would you know till you actually aim? Your estimations are probably just off. Without a constant on screen reticule it'd basically be impossible to consistently have a headshot lined up the moment you went in to ADS. Don't forget most weapons don't have a precision dot reticule even during ADS either, at least not till you're actually on target, instead they have a slightly wider one depending on the weapon, Eg a triangle, wider circle, oval etc, so with some weapons (Eg shotguns) there's always a level of skill required getting the absolute centre. Alternatively try turning off aim assist, and see if that helps you. Or if it persists, turn on lock on.
You've never been able to accurately estimate the center of the screen when undercover, so that when popping out to aim the reticule will be right on target? That is what a lot of other people and I are having a hard time with in UC4. Something feels off compared to well calibrated TPS aiming (eg MGSV).

Aiming feels completely off in this. I am finding it pretty hard to pull off headshots. I had absolutely no problem getting headshots in the previous 3 games.

yeah its pretty wonky

the sound of the guns is fucking fantastic though.. blew me away on headphones

eFKac

Chapter 4 mini game question
Can you beat Elena's score in Crash? I'm getting over 3000 but not close to 3,5k If you'd get a perfect run then maybe? Anyone done it?

Can you beat Elena's score in Crash? I'm getting over 3000 but not close to 3,5k If you'd get a perfect run then maybe? Anyone done it?

Don't think you can. Makes sense since the cutscene that follows only happens when you mess up.

Well, I'm gonna have to disagree here and there, but I've procrastinated too much today already so I'm not gonna start tackling every paragraph individually.

So I'm just gonna point out that the problem is very simply just that he used a stronger word you would have used to describe their feelings on the game's controls. That's it. It's your prerogative to ignore those posts. I'm not going to call you out for that, nobody should, you're free to weigh other's opinions according to the language they used as much as you want.

But you should NOT be calling them stupid or disgusting for that. It's far more childish than someone describing their feelings in what you perceive a hyperbolical manner.

Agreed. That's equally hyperbolic if not more so.

Extreme language leads to extreme discourse and name calling IMO. It's cause and affect, neither are justified, but it tends to be the case.

I appreciate your response though. I just don't see the need for writing "this game is garbage" or whatever other statements people say. It doesn't offer anything to anyone. I just don't see what drives that desire.

T.O.P

Banned
What do you mean not where you expect it to be? How would you know till you actually aim? Your estimations are probably just off. Without a constant on screen reticule it'd basically be impossible to consistently have a headshot lined up the moment you went in to ADS.

I had the exact same problem. Normal in UC games I aim centre mass then adjust my aim up for head-shots. I've found in UC4 I'm doing the same thing but the reticle is above their heads so I'm having to adjust down.

I'm not good at explaining this stuff but it's as he says, when i went to ADS in old U games i knew where to expect the reticle to appear, in U4 it's always higher, never once i could pop out of cover with the reticle already on an enemy even if by what i was lookin at my brain was thinking "yup, that's the center of your screen"

nib95

Banned
You've never been able to accurately estimate the center of the screen when undercover, so that when popping out to aim the reticule will be right on target? That is what a lot of other people and I are having a hard time with in UC4. Something feels off compared to well calibrated TPS aiming (eg MGSV).

I can't say I'm having this problem so I don't know what to tell you, and I'm extremely nitpicky about deadzones and things like that. In fact I tested it the moment I first got to aim a weapon in the game. The only things I could see causing it are controller analogue issues, or as I said before, recoil and flinch.

Yeah thought about that as well, would make sense unless they've made another cutscene

Have you finished the game? Because the following is a bit of a spoiler that you should avoid if you haven't just in case regarding this topic.

They mention the dishwashing turns thing in later levels so I think you're supposed to lose.

MAJOR SPOILER BELOW, DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T COMPLETED THE GAME!!!!

Their daughter does beat the high score quite handily, so I think it's just supposed to show that Nate sucks at the game.

Jb

The level design in
Libertalia
is so fucking good. Holy crap. I'm almost sad when the gunfight's over because I want to keep jumping around and kicking dudes off the battle arenas.

Floody

So does the wow ness factor in the environments carry all the way through to the end?

I just got to chap 5. It feels most here have big wow moments around chapters 8-11, but not much so after that. Could be most haven't gotten farther.

It only get's better imo.

Though it does get a little samey, it has so much stuff going on, that I couldn't help but just stop and take it all in every now and then.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
People are unhappy with the beginning? I'm glad to see Nate not slaughter a small country worth of inhabitants.

Actually, I was snapping necks only an hour or two into the game when I was in
Italy
and the guards were trying to find me. It was so god damn hilarious because it was something so unnecessary of Nate to do, even if they were trying to find me and potentially kill me. After all, they were just
guarding the place and someone did steal an artifact. lol

WITHE1982

Don't worry:

You get another chance to play it later in the game with a chance at even more points. There's actually a trophy for beating Elena's score.

So far I'm in the middle of Chapter 7 (didn't get to finish it) and the game is expertly made, which is no surprise. I'm kind of torn though, the tone just doesn't feel the same anymore, LoU seems to be influencing this more than I'd like. I'm sure in the end this will be the best put together Uncharted, the most cohesive story, but I feel like it's missing something.

That being said I'm still really enjoying the game, the controls feel really good, dialogue is great and of course it's gorgeous. Hands down the best part was when
you can look at all of Nates treasures, shoot the target with the nerf gun, and then have a really nice look into his married life, plus the crash game.
All that felt great.

I'm just looking forward to more of the adventure part which I know is coming real soon. Overall I'm very happy with the game so far.

I reached Scotland last night. It seemed to be the least interesting/most generic level visually so far. Note - I only played about 30 minutes into the level.

I found it a letdown too after the story started to pick up in the prior two chapters. Just as the characters and their interactions are starting to seem moderately interesting, I'm off for an extended bout of traversal on the moors and in caves.

The combat opens up a bit in this chapter though, and I appreciate how the traversal is built into the combat arenas.

Just not sure what's going on w/ the pacing so far.

Also, after TLoU and what I've seen of U4, seems ND has decided that moving boxes/crates for climbing and giving leg-ups to broken ladders are fundamental pillars of gameplay. Not sure why they're so enamored w/ this, but every time I see one of these pop up I groan.

Jarmel

Banned
Also, after TLoU and what I've seen of U4, seems ND has decided that moving boxes/crates for climbing and giving leg-ups to broken ladders are fundamental pillars of gameplay. Not sure why they're so enamored w/ this, but every time I see one of these pop up I groan.

Might be done for loading reasons like in TLOU. Either way shit does get tiresome.

Floody

I found it a letdown too after the story started to pick up in the prior two chapters. Just as the characters and their interactions are starting to seem moderately interesting, I'm off for an extended bout of traversal on the moors and in caves.

The combat opens up a bit in this chapter though, and I appreciate how the traversal is built into the combat arenas.

Just not sure what's going on w/ the pacing so far.

I think it's to hide loading screens.

Top Bottom