• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

I'm pretty sure I'm almost done with the game, and I still don't know what I think. UC4 brings back some major UC1 vibes, which I appreciate. My main complaint is that there are so many neat mechanics to the combat, but I feel like there aren't enough combat scenarios to really get me used to them. I've never entered a comfortable flow like I did late game UC2 and 3.

I like UC4, but I think I need to replay the game to really feel comfortable with the running and gunning.

The dialog is fantastic though.

edit: and yeah, i think the box moving minigame is excessive here--never bothered me in TLoU, but every time Drake says, "It's too high to boost!" I'm like, jesus, come on. It probably is for loading assets, but that doesn't make it less tedious.

My only complaint about the game [and it is a MINOR one, to boot] is that the character's hair doesn't blow in the wind like the gameplay trailers showed.

It's a small thing, but I notice it constantly. Nate is on a craggy peak and you hear the wind blowing and see the foliage reacting to the wind - as does his shirt and rope - but his hair doesn't move an inch.

DNAbro

After sleeping on it a bit, want to give some thoughts about the game.

Liked
-Gameplay feels great. The stealth mechanics feel great and pretty much all the levels are well designed and are fun to play in.
- Story was pretty great overall and writing was top notch as well.
- absolutely gorgeous game. Some of the set pieces are mind boggling and are the highlight of the game.

Disliked
- I became increasingly tired and aggravated over the "hey is this thing going to break when I climb/jump on it? yes, yes it will" It usually incredibly predictable when it happens and loses just about all tension after the first few times. It just feels like "hey take a longer way around" instead of "oh shit that was close". I've only played Uncharted 2 but I don't remember it happening nearly as much as in that game,
- I absolutely hated the portions where you need to try and find what the climb onto/where to go. Wasted way too much time just looking around for where to go. Maybe I'm bad at picking up visual clues, but it became annoying anytime the game drew to a crawl cause I couldn't figure out where it wanted me to go.
- The puzzle sections and slower sections make me not want to replay the game, at least at the moment. Just didn't find them that enjoyable, and don't really want to experience them again. The slower sections were good in the moment but after seeing it once, don't really want to do it again.
-While story was good, it never really fully grabbed me and made me emotionally invested. I kind of compare it to Captain America: Civil War in that sense.

Nyx

I feel dumb cause I seem to be lost in chapter 13.

omw to that scary mountain to meet Sam, just found a dead guy with 'no quarter for thieves' written on the wall, but I cant seem to find the way forward.

This cave has exits that lead outside near a waterfall but no climbing or rope possibilities.

Also no hint appears.

Anyone?

aravuus

- I became increasingly tired and aggravated over the "hey is this thing going to break when I climb/jump on it? yes, yes it will" It usually incredibly predictable when it happens and loses just about all tension after the first few times. It just feels like "hey take a longer way around" instead of "oh shit that was close". I've only played Uncharted 2 but I don't remember it happening nearly as much as in that game

I feel the same way and they did it so often that there's gotta be a reason for that. Like someone pointed that the also very frequent boosting a friend up/grabbing a friend's hand and climbing up stuff was done to hide loading/asset streaming, which is fair enough.

They were like mimics in Dark Souls 3. "Oh, a chest? Is it.. Yeah, a mimic".

"Oh, a new wall to climb? Will it... Yeah, it broke"

nOoblet16

Also, I'm excited at the prospects of a PS4Neo mode for this game with some improved shadows, less dithering and 60fps. Oh mang.

But as of right now this is the smoothest 30fps game I have ever played which almost feels like 60fps. Don't really understand how, either, because it's 30fps! lol
You'll see how it doesn't feel like 60FPS if you could actually play at 60FPS. It has good motion blur that gives it a smooth feeling but tons of games have been doing this for a while now.

The game does drops framerate quite a few times especially in the later levels, it recovers quick and is up there among the best performing games but in no way this is the smoothest 30FPS game when tittles like Farcry4/Primal/AC4 and The Order 1886 exist.

Floody

I feel dumb cause I seem to be lost in chapter 13.

omw to that scary mountain to meet Sam, just found a dead guy with 'no quarter for thieves' written on the wall, but I cant seem to find the way forward.

This cave has exits that lead outside near a waterfall but no climbing or rope possibilities.

Also no hint appears.

Anyone?

I think there should be a slope you slide down and jump across, and little bit past the skeleton
. I might be thinking of somewhere else though.

shiba5

Just finished. I took more screenshots of this game than all others combined. The art direction is outstanding and I spent almost 2 hours total standing around admiring the scenery - according to the game.

I totally agree. The jumps were insane lol. The intro has nothing on LoU, not sure why people said it was better

That said, I do love that ND does intros REALLY well. No one does it like that

I found the intro to be better cause it was more fun .
Plus story wise i knew what was going to happen in TLOU because it was so easy to see.

nOoblet16

So does the wow ness factor in the environments carry all the way through to the end?

I just got to chap 5. It feels most here have big wow moments around chapters 8-11, but not much so after that. Could be most haven't gotten farther.

It gets a bit less striking after chapter 11, I could tell you why but that would mean I would have to give a location spoiler.

Chapter 11 to end are all set in the same island, you get grand scenery reveals from time to time but they all share the same island theme with greenery. Infact some of these places could fit right in TLoU with its run down buildings and such.

fastmower

I can't say I'm having this problem so I don't know what to tell you, and I'm extremely nitpicky about deadzones and things like that. In fact I tested it the moment I first got to aim a weapon in the game. The only things I could see causing it are controller analogue issues, or as I said before, recoil and flinch.
It's weird that a decent amount of people are having this issue while some don't notice/experience it at all. I'm having minor flashbacks to the UC3 aiming controversy.

The Lamp

"Escaping out of the orphanage" is a cool set idea, but it really fell apart for me when young Nathan was doing epic leaps that would have certainly killed or maimed him. It just starts to get unbelievably absurd.

Maybe I'm crazy but the "epic jump" distance in general felt extended from previous games. Even in the next area as grown up Nate some of the leaps felt extra unbelievable, like beyond "unrealistically heroic" and well into "absurd super hero."

I'm sitting on my couch thinking, were they all like this, or have I just been playing too much Bloodbourne and Dark Souls recently and I've totally forgotten what the old games were like?

This is not really a serious complaint at all. I'm more just wondering if anyone was getting the same vibe.

I'll have to replay the previous games after this and see if I notice any difference.

My issue is the pathetic puppy scrape Nate makes when he's at a wall that's too high because the devs don't want you to go there, but then he makes giant leaps up unstable crags of mountains. Breaks the immersion for me. At least make the jump height consistent.

It's weird that a decent amount of people are having this issue while some don't notice/experience it at all. I'm having minor flashbacks to the UC3 aiming controversy.

Not being able to estimate where my reticule is going to be when I cover pop has been an issue for me too. Can use snap-to aiming, but that's no fun. I'm not a TPS aficionado though, so I assumed my inexperience was the problem.

m4st4

Just hit Chapter
, I'm guessing this is the final stretch of the game, and right on time.

Did not expect to get this emotional, combination of...

...learning more about Drake's mother, him and Sam and Elena/Sully arriving on the island...

...wrecked me, man. This game is something special and the sum of it's parts prior to this chapter is really starting to work wonders now in a way that I did not expect.

Wonderful inclusion of that old woman character as well. The lightning in that chapter was, again, some sort of wizardry.

God, I'm finally starting to LOVE this game instead of just really, really liking it. Let's see how it all wraps up tonight.

Oh my gawd. That fucking
twist
at chapter 15!

Yup. Shit. Got. Real. Naughty Dog pulling the right moves.

Jamiaro

climaxsm-gif.90460

Seeing all the impressions of this game makes me want to play it.

That gif is just evil... :D

Anyway, loving the game so far! Like a rollercoaster of action and emotion.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I can't say I'm having this problem so I don't know what to tell you, and I'm extremely nitpicky about deadzones and things like that. In fact I tested it the moment I first got to aim a weapon in the game. The only things I could see causing it are controller analogue issues, or as I said before, recoil and flinch.

What aiming settings are you using? I'm trying 0 aim assist and 3 sensitivity, but I'm having accuracy issues. MP is fine, though.

I'm going to try the defaults after work and see if it's any better. I could also check what the settings are in MP by default.

fastmower

Not being able to estimate where my reticule is going to be when I cover pop has been an issue for me too. Can use snap-to aiming, but that's no fun. I'm not a TPS aficionado though, so I assumed my inexperience was the problem.
I'm experienced with TPS and I definitely feel that the aiming is janky.

My issue is the pathetic puppy scrape Nate makes when he's at a wall that's too high because the devs don't want you to go there, but then he makes giant leaps up unstable crags of mountains. Breaks the immersion for me. At least make the jump height consistent.

lol yeah or automatically sliding for any slope

reminds me of mgs5

zsynqx

Just hit Chapter
, I'm guessing this is the final stretch of the game, and right on time.

Did not expect to get this emotional, combination of...

...learning more about Drake's mother, him and Sam and Elena/Sully arriving on the island...

...wrecked me, man. This game is something special and the sum of it's parts prior to this chapter is really starting to work wonders now in a way that I did not expect.

Wonderful inclusion of that old woman character as well. The lightning in that chapter was, again, some sort of wizardry.

God, I'm finally starting to LOVE this game instead of just really, really liking it. Let's see how it all wraps up tonight.

About the
old woman. Voiced by Merle Dandridge. (Marlene in TLOU) She was also the nun at the beginning.

how long is the game on normal?
especially if your like me and like to explore every corner of the game.
TLOU "Hard" mode felt normal to me, is U4 a walk in the park on normal mode?

Edit: I still can't believe I gave in to the hype,
especially since I didn't like the uncharted collection demo.

Just got the game and played half an hour or so...Yeah, it is super polished. Loved the first scene. Now I have to hold off playing it until the end of the month. With Witcher 3 Blood and Wine announced as well...things are going to get very good in gaming from this month onwards...

Floody

Took me around 16-17 hours on normal, though I was really taking my time. I found the enemies on normal harder than TLoU's on Survival, though there's much less combat in 4 that it's probably easier overall.

DNAbro

Edit: I still can't believe I gave in to the hype,
especially since I didn't like the uncharted collection demo.

Took me maybe 11 hours.

Dawg

Encounter select seemed like a cool thing in chapter select.

But then I found out the encounter is all you can do.

Took me around 16-17 hours on normal, though I was really taking my time. I found the enemies on normal harder than TLoU's on Survival, though there's much less combat in 4 that it's probably easier overall.

Are you done with the game campaign, or there any replay value?
I'm not interested in the multiplayer game.

Just finished it. Although I know 4 is technically superior, I actually enjoyed the experience of playing through 2 and 3 more. I played all 4 Uncharteds on Hard if that matters.

Not a fan of all the slide areas. And the cover system was a bit janky (turning corners etc especially)

I'll try not to spoil anything for anyone who has yet to play but bullet sponge enemies and dodgy respawn areas seem to be a trend at ND. Last boss as usual isn't great (can't really gauge boss health or attacks as well as it maybe should be).

Graphically the game is impressive, cast performances were impeccable, the jeep handled a lot better than I thought it would and the game is really long for those who believe that the length of a game is an indicator of its value. Personally I thought it dragged on a bit longer than it needed to gameplay wise but narratively the length was fine.

On the whole, kudos to ND for a great game and a great set of Uncharted games and I look forwards to their next one.

Harmen

I actually love the climbing in this game. It feels very natural and the subtle visual clues always give me a sense of direction while trying to figure out a path. It requires some thinking and planning, making it more fun.

Portugeezer

Dear Customer,

We are contacting you in relation to your delivery of Uncharted 4.

It has been brought to our attention today that there was an IT failure on our systems which has resulted in orders not being delivered.

Now that we have located the issue, we have implemented a resolution and your order will be delivered tomorrow.

We appreciate that this delay is unacceptable and it absolutely should not have occurred. Please accept our sincere apologies for this issue. We will issue a £5 refund to your account by way of apology for this matter. Please allow 7 working days for this refund to become visible in your account.

Apologies again and if you have any further queries, please be sure to contact our Customer Services Dept via the following link:
Damn, next time I just pay higher price and stick to Amazon...

m4st4

About the
old woman. Voiced by Merle Dandridge. (Marlene in TLOU) She was also the nun at the beginning.

Oh wow, didn't know that thanks.

Just wanted to comment on the fact that they downright SPOILED me on one huge aspect of this game in that tiny booklet you get with the steelbook, terrible idea (to go through it before I finished the game and to include that sort of thing). I'm getting the original artbook anyway but come on.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
You'll see how it doesn't feel like 60FPS if you could actually play at 60FPS. It has good motion blur that gives it a smooth feeling but tons of games have been doing this for a while now.

The game does drops framerate quite a few times especially in the later levels, it recovers quick and is up there among the best performing games but in no way this is the smoothest 30FPS game when tittles like Farcry4/Primal/AC4 and The Order 1886 exist.

It is the smoothest game 30fps I have ever played.

Finished the game right around 15 hours. Amazing ride. Now to play through a second time as a photographer...

This is exactly what I am going to do. I resisted enabling photo mode for the first playthrough as I knew I would constantly be interrupting the flow of the game to take photos.

Floody

Are you done with the game campaign, or there any replay value?
I'm not interested in the multiplayer game.

The replay value is about the same as TLoU, maybe a little less as there's a lot of just exploring.
I missed a lot of optional dialog and treasures, so I'll go back for that and a crushing playthrough, the combat encounters are all pretty open, so they'll probably be fun a couple of times through too. Once I'm done with that though, I'll probably shelf it for awhile (probably until the next ND game is close).

nib95

Banned
What aiming settings are you using? I'm trying 0 aim assist and 3 sensitivity, but I'm having accuracy issues. MP is fine, though.

I'm going to try the defaults after work and see if it's any better. I could also check what the settings are in MP by default.

I went default aim sensitivity with aim assist off. Though for this Crushing play through I quite like leaving aim assist at max sometimes just to cheat to win basically. You pretty much never square off against more than one enemy at a time, so aim assist drift (something that happens when multiple enemies might pass your reticule) is basically a non issue.

Checked the deadzone and it's basically non existent. Maybe 5% or something of the sticks, which is far less than most games have.

My favorite part about this game is that you actually have to do things lol

Everything besides shooting felt like auto-pilot in previous uncharted games

there's platforming (where you actually have to time your jumps right, and there are consequences if you mess up)

Puzzles, you actually have to use your brain and journal.

You can actually do stealth, which makes the treasure hunting, heisting, feel more authentic.

The wide linear areas, you can actually explore to find the treasures, and if even tho areas funnels you, you actually have to think about which way you're going

No yellow "climb here" visual queues, you actually have to figure out where to climb, and how to reach certain ledges etc

The game doesn't insult your intelligence like the previous games, especially if you turn of hints. For me that makes this one the best in the series

Edit: oh and you actually control the vehicles

Conezays

I think I'm up to Chapter 8 or 9 and my impressions are somewhat mixed. It feels like they wanted to make another TLOU and they sort of mashed together Uncharted and TLOU with various degrees of success.

-The pacing so far is glacially slow, probably the slowest of any Naughty Dog game. I understand why they're doing it for character development and setup but there it is. It's not just the lack of action but certain gameplay segments just drag on for way too long. The
orphanage and Italy
are two prime examples where the platforming sections are just too long for how uninvolved the platforming is. Parts in
Scotland
have a similar issue in that I'm hoping it's over because of how dull it is.

-The character writing is pretty stellar and this is assisted by the super high quality of the animations. I think though that Rafe might be a bit too over the top but they might expand on him later.

-I'm less impressed with the graphics which are topnotch and more so by the art direction. This probably has the best art direction of any Uncharted game.

-The aiming feels off. This is a problem I've never had with any Uncharted game (even UC3) or TLOU.

Pretty much spot on with my impressions so far. I preferred Last of Us to Uncharted 3 for what its worth. Fantastic art design, voice overs, and presentation, but I've realised the actual gameplay mechanics aren't particularly interesting to me. Fairly mundane puzzle, platforming segments mixed with decent shooting sections doesn't really scream 10/10 to me but to each their own. Definitely seems like people who are fans of past entries will enjoy this. Naturally my impression may change once I'm finished. Cheers.

aravuus

I think I might give TLOU another try now after really enjoying U4. Go at it with a different mindset.

Side note, anyone else know this could happen? Lol.

Yep. Climbed on
Elena
a couple of times and she really didn't seem to care lol. Strong girl.

zsynqx

Every time I try to load up Multiplayer, it takes me to the introduction but freezes on the screen saying press x to continue. Anyone else have this issue?

Top Bottom