• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

That's easy for me to suspend. It's a logic everyone in the series basically consistently follows.

That's not the same as Nate complaining about not being able to reach a ledge and then easily climbing one much larger.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. Like tons of other aspects of this very over-the-top video game franchise.

Like, this is such an incredibly minor thing to nitpick. The entire premise of a pre-teen boy running and jumping around on rooftops like he's Spiderman is ridiculous.

aravuus

You know what's really ridiculous? The fact that your character is shot hundreds, if not thousands of times and lives to see another day.

You gotta' learn to suspend your disbelief when you're playing a video game.

Sure, but not dying from every bullet is easy to ignore cause it simply has to be that way, there's no better alternative.

The wall height problem breaks the immersion because it's so easy to fix and inconsistent.

Stoze

I'm experienced with TPS and I definitely feel that the aiming is janky.

It's definitely different, don't know if I would call it janky. The reticle size is bigger/more open and there's fairly high recoil/spread on the automatic weapons. I sometimes find myself having to take an extra mental step when shooting from mid-long range as I try and centre heads once they're in the reticle. Never really happened that much in the previous games.

I do wish we had a option to just have the dot reticle, even though it would look less cool.

wenaldy

Holy hell this game is long and i enjoyed every moment in it. It took me almost 15 hours to finish, not counting sightseeing at gorgeous scenery

papo

Games is gorgeous, pretty pretty pretty, but I feel like the water effects in the intro weren't that good compared to how water looks later in the game and how it looks in other games.

I guess that is my only complaint right now. Otherwise I am having a real blast.

thefil

I'm about 3.5 hours in and in chapter 8. Man, this is an Uncharted-ass Uncharted game. For reference, I loved Uncharted 2 but really fell out of love with this style of game and didn't finish Uncharted 3.

Outside of the more broad stealth sections that take some notes from TLOU, and a great at-home scene between
Nate and Elena
, I'm not really feeling it. Still climb-by-numbers for much of it, and while the enemies are no longer bullet sponges it kind of feels like whack-a-mole so far.

Hopeful something to change up the formula will show up soon. I will say it is a very well crafted version of what the kind of game it is.

Solid 6.5/10.

Entertaining, like the story theme, gameplay was really lackluster as expected. It's 50% climbing and getting to use your boring rope every once in a while. What's even the point of using other weapons other than the AK-47 and that other rifle with a lot of ammo? Lower ammo and, with the exception of the RPG, you gain nothing in the environment from them.

Highlights: amazing looking environments, story theme, and
getting to play a Crash level twice.

Actual gameplay really hurts this series, imo. Tomb Raider reboot is significantly superior.

Eggbok

I feel like this game has the most amazing looking npc's. Like holy shit they are so detailed and beautiful.
I've spent the last 30 mins or so just walking by people and taking screens of them.

I actually thought that was an amazing addition... I didn't want another boss fight like UC2...
I like the concept, it's just plays out poorly because they don't teach you this mechanic beforehand. So it's just kinda awkward, odd that naughty dog would get this so wrong, thery are usually very good at fundamental game design.

Sami+

I'm on Chapter 9 and loving it so far! My least favorite parts really are the forced shoot-outs. I feel like the older I get the worse I am at them and the less patient I am with learning. I don't know what it is lol. Hard as nails action games like DMC or Souls come really natural to me, and other games known to be fairly difficult are fun and beatable. But make me aim a gun at a person and I'm suddenly atrocious, LOL. I'm playing on normal and died six times at
the escape from the auction, right before Sully picks you up
. Really wish I didn't have this problem.

That being said, I absolutely LOVE that you can play stealthy if you want to. I like that approach a lot more. More fun, plus I'm better at it. Reminds me of The Last of Us which still stands as one of my top five favorite games of all time (beat it on Survival so maybe it's not aiming a gun so much as having to aim quickly and under pressure that I'm no good at).

aravuus

I do wish we had a option to just have the dot reticle, even though it would look less cool.

Cool? Hahah, I think they're literally some of the ugliest reticles I've seen in recent years. Would definitely take a simple dot over them any time.

Vaga

Solid 6.5/10.

Entertaining, like the story theme, gameplay was really lackluster as expected. It's 50% climbing and getting to use your boring rope every once in a while. What's even the point of using other weapons other than the AK-47 and that other rifle with a lot of ammo? Lower ammo and, with the excerption of the RPG, you gain nothing in the environment from them.

Actual gameplay really hurts this series, imo. Tomb Raider reboot is significantly superior.

Lol are you serious with that shit game?

Stoze

Cool? Hahah, I think they're literally some of the ugliest reticles I've seen in recent years. Would definitely take a simple dot over them any time.

It's just neat seeing the dot and hit markers bounce in-between the borders, and the different looking reticles for each gun. But yeah I'm with you.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Solid 6.5/10.

Entertaining, like the story theme, gameplay was really lackluster as expected. It's 50% climbing and getting to use your boring rope every once in a while. What's even the point of using other weapons other than the AK-47 and that other rifle with a lot of ammo? Lower ammo and, with the exception of the RPG, you gain nothing in the environment from them.

kingpin2.gif

RedAssedApe

Banned
Solid 6.5/10.

are you at least referring to ROTTR and not TR2013? lol

It seemed more like a trolling response, actually. Why come into an Uncharted 4 review thread and say something like that?

They could have just said they didn't like it instead of comparing it to another game that will bait others in here for controversy.

This is not the review thread. This is the OT. This is where we discuss our thoughts on the game we're playing.

Guy has every right to voice his opinion on the game.

It seemed more like a trolling response, actually. Why come into an Uncharted 4 review thread and say something like that?

They could have just said they didn't like it instead of comparing it to another game that will bait others in here for controversy.

This isn't a review thread. This is a catch-all where a lot of user impressions are being shared.

Nielm

Solid 6.5/10.

The Tomb Raider reboot (If you are referring to the 2013 game) has nothing on this game. It has inferior:

Graphics
Animations
Plot
Dialogue
Characters
Voice Acting
Level Design
Gameplay
Audio
Puzzles

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Solid 6.5/10.

UoNcrUc.gif

Hawk269

Lol are you serious with that shit game?

Tomb Raider reboot was a really good game. I have not played UC4 yet, so I cannot compare, but calling TRR a Shit game is a little overboard. Granted everyone has an opinion, but TRR is a very good game imho.

Back to UC4, as I said I have not played it yet, my PS4 died a few weeks ago and still debating if I should buy another one or wait for E3 and see what they say about a slim or the PS4K. Loving all the impressions though, please keep them coming...

Trace

Banned
Solid 6.5/10.

Masterful trolling. Gonna get a lot of hits with this one.

styl3s

Naughty Dog are absolute madmen. They did it, they fucking did it. They made the perfect ending and a close to perfect game.

Just finished it after playing for about 14 hours. I can't think of a single negative thing in this game. I maybe would have preferred a few more puzzles (just because I liked the ones we got so much), but that's about it. I love everything about it.
The pacing, story, combat, encounter design, level design, the areas, characters, the villians, graphics, the traversal, the final boss fight, the exploring, set pieces, sound design...

My favorite thing about it though? How a encounter can go from stealth to chaos in one second. It gets your adrenaline pumping and it keeps you on your toes while the level design makes every encounter special and fun. It's just pure fun, the whole game.

I'm utterly flashed by this game. The ending made me so emotional.

10/10

Fuck it, I'm gonna say it. I think it's better than UC 1-3 and Last of Us. UC 1 & 3 don't even come close. It's Naughty Dog's crowning achievement, thanks everyone in the team for making this game.

Lets try out what the MP has to offer.
Just finished and i could not agree more.

I know some people thought the epilogue was long i personally thought it was way too short i wanted more of it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Managed to start it up and play for an hour last night. This thing just oozes production values and polish. Really impressive to see the PS4 pull off something like this.

My only gripe so far is the melee combat. I hope it evolves a bit more with counters or something, because right now it seems like you just mash square and then mash triangle after you inevitably get hit. Just trading blows with enemies.

Woodchipper

I'm on chapter 9 and this game is on par with, if not slightly better than TLoU so far, and that's my favorite game of all time.

In Naughty God we trust.

The Lamp

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. Like tons of other aspects of this very over-the-top video game franchise.

Like, this is such an incredibly minor thing to nitpick. The entire premise of a pre-teen boy running and jumping around on rooftops like he's Spiderman is ridiculous.

Not really. They make it look realistic via the very smooth animations and arm catch sequences.

Nate scraping pathetically a couple of inches at a 7 foot wall but then leaping up a 15 foot wall looks ridiculous. You can't animate your way out of that.

It just is silly, especially when he verbally confirms its too high for him only to turn around the wall and scale much higher steps in Chapter 2.

Not really. They make it look realistic via the very smooth animations and arm catch sequences.

Nate scraping pathetically a couple of inches at a 7 foot wall but then leaping up a 15 foot wall looks ridiculous. You can't animate your way out of that.

Man...we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one lol

Aaaannd I'm in the wrong thread! Sorry!

Still, talking "Tomb Raider is better" in an Uncharted thread seems like a war could brew at any time, but that's just my opinion ;)

Oh, he definitely knew what he was doing, dropping that comparison, but eh.

As long as he doesn't troll the thread by continuing to post how much better TR is, in his opinion, then we're good.

Some folk are absolutely blown away, as the top post shows, others aren't. That's how it goes for everything.

Namikaze1

Just beat the game. What a ride. Not gonna lie, I sorta missed the big set pieces like those in UC2 and 3. I enjoyed what we got but I missed having an insane piece like the train sequence in 2. Anyway, the game is damn good. If I was to give it a score, it would be a 9.5 for me. Gotta give it some time but I feel like this may end up being my favorite Uncharted game. And goddamn gorgeous! Checked the capture gallery and I have over 120 screenshots. I abused the hell out of the Share button with this game.

The Lamp

The Tomb Raider reboot (If you are referring to the 2013 game) has nothing on this game. It has inferior:

Graphics
Animations
Plot
Dialogue
Characters
Voice Acting
Level Design
Gameplay
Audio
Puzzles

I like the survival crafting gameplay in TRR. Same reason I liked it in TLOU. The fact that TRR has it makes it a gameplay strength IMO.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

It just is silly, especially when he verbally confirms its too high for him only to turn around the wall and scale much higher steps in Chapter 2.

I do think its an odd nit pick to focus on considering everything else that requires suspension of disbelief. How about the fact that you can just hang forever by only your finger tips? Its a videogame and I believe Druckmann has directly stated that you are going to have gamey elements to the products they make because its essential to making a good game. They aren't trying to make the most realistic gaming product nor are they making the most stylish gameplay focused game out there at the sake of realism.

Top Bottom