• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Raxus

Did the previous games have the mechanic where you
stab into soft areas with your spike while climbing? I only remember that being in Tomb Raider but I have an awful memory so I may just be forgetting it.

Nope, ripped wholesale from Tomb Raider.

SMG

Just finished the game today and have gone from wanting this to be the last in the series I now want another dev to take it on.
Staring Chloe with Cutter as a sidekick, Sam as a freindly rival and Nadine as baddie wildcard.

The ND games never really managed to keep any charters outside of the main 3 relevent between games.

icespide

Banned
Just finished the game today and have gone from wanting this to be the last in the series I now want another dev to take it on. Staring Chloe with Cutter as a sidekick, Sam as a freindly rival and Nadine as baddie wildcard.

The ND games never really managed to keep any charters outside of the main 3 relevent between games.

I think that was their goal

RedAssedApe

Banned
Just finished the game today and have gone from wanting this to be the last in the series I now want another dev to take it on.

should spoiler tag if this hints at how the game ends :\

Some folk are absolutely blown away, as the top post shows, others aren't. That's how it goes for everything.

Count me in as one of those that are blown away! I'm fairly far into the game and every chapter gets better than the last! The game is absolutely gorgeous and like I said, my only gripe is that hair doesn't blow in the wind like it did in the gameplay trailers.

The Lamp

Again my point is there are these moments scattered through out the entire game and I found a bit odd you kept focusing on one throw away line of dialogue at a tiny section of the game. If you want something more obvious and direct, how about the fact the enemies cant really see your AI partners if you haven't alerted them. I had Sam literally jumping from beam to beam in front of an enemy while I hid behind cover and the dude didn't even react.

I have already complained about that like a week ago :p

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Nope, ripped wholesale from Tomb Raider.

Thought so, it's a great addition. I'm a big fan of both series but I'm still waiting for the new TR to hit bargain bin prices on PC before playing it. If it's anywhere near as good as Uncharted 4 I'll be happy because so far this game is incredible and I'm loving it.

Grisby

Yeah it is definitely slow in the beginning but I think it's essential for the whole game. You can't introduce a new central character and make us care about him without giving a good amount of non action build up. It's not a boring early couple of hours but I was itching to get to some action.
Yeah, I ended last night with an mp orgy because I was itching to get in some shooty-shooty.
Nice.

icespide

Banned
I had something similar happen right at the end, not the entire cut-scene, but for a few seconds it T posed and made no sound, fixed itself pretty quick though. But it kinda kill the moment.

yeah, I quit and restarted the game for good measure. I did one huge marathon session from the beginning of the game to chapter 18 haha

m4st4

That moment you realize Madagascar level was nothing.

Chapter 17, boojah.

That's it, I need to savor this day in my mind and finish this tomorrow night.

The Lamp

Nate's Wolverine-like regeneration powers aren't consistent to the rest of the game-world. No one else is able to do this, as they're dead within a few shots.

Nate's AI partners are essentially invisible to everyone during gameplay, but I'm sure at some point in the story, one of them will be hurt or killed by an enemy that would never notice them during a combat encounter (I'm very early on in the game, so this is purely speculation). That's not consistent.

It's a video game. There's going to be wild inconsistencies. Some moreso than others. You're absolutely right that your example makes no sense and is inconsistent. My point is that I'm surprised it's something that would take you out of the experience, compared to so many other elements of this franchise.

Maybe because the series parodies pulp action where all of that guns-blazing immunity is expected.

The climbing paralysis is more unique.

Not every game is for everyone, as Neil said "Those who want wall to wall action, maybe he doesn't make games for them". I mean, there's people here saying that voice acting and plot don't matter in games... so, it makes a lot of sense to be dissapointed by this game, truth is the game is not meant for them, it just happen to have certain things that may appeal those people.

tmac456

Game is incredible. Got to Chapter 8 last night and the setting looks amazing for it.

The visuals, the dialogue, how well put together and thought out this game is. The story-telling as well. Goodness.

Kinda feel bad for those not enjoying this masterpiece, but, different strokes for different folks I guess

AmyS

Forbes / Tech:

'Uncharted 4' May Be Why Sony Isn't Talking About The PS4K Yet
For many fans, this is the first time a Sony exclusive has been released that makes the uncommitted want to consider running out and buying a PS4. Gamers who already own a PC or maybe an Xbox may have already experienced many of PS4’s cross-platform games, and may not have been swayed by something as intimidating as Bloodborne as a Sony exclusive. But Uncharted? Uncharted is for everyone. Uncharted is a system-seller.

And yet, when people come and ask me “Should I buy a PS4 now for Uncharted, or wait until PS4K this fall?” I don’t actually know what to tell them.

After hearing that question for the dozenth time, something clicked with me, and it suddenly makes sense that even after all these leaks about a new, upgraded PlayStation in the works, why Sony hasn’t come out and just confirmed the PS4K already.
Remember, these aren’t just minor leaks. Between reports from Kotaku, Giant Bomb, and Eurogamer, these are practically top-to-bottom reveals of the specs of a new, more powerful PlayStation 4. Supposedly the console will be able to run games at a higher resolution and framerate, help out with new VR titles, and focus on getting to 4K output. And it may be out this fall.
It seemed strange that after all these leaks, Sony didn’t adjust their reveal plans and simply confirm what had more or less become an open secret in the industry. And yet, with the release of Uncharted 4, that now makes a lot of sense.

If Sony had announced a for-sure PS4K to be released this fall, most of these people asking this “should I buy?” question would probably have a much tougher time justifying the purchase of a “regular” console now. Either they can wait to buy a PS4K in the fall, or by then, the PS4 could be even cheaper if a new variant is released.

It seems fairly obvious to me that there has to be an “Uncharted 4K” in the works. The game is a visual masterpiece, and I can think of no better title that could appear on a new PS4 pushing 4K. Honestly, I’d be shocked if PS4K didn’t debut with an Uncharted 4K bundle, that’s how clear the connection seems.

But of course, Sony would not want to discuss any of that now, as it would detract from the release of regular Uncharted 4 on regular PS4. E3 is only a month away, and it seems likely that PS4K will be a big chunk of Sony’s show there. But that leaves a month for Uncharted 4 to do its thing.
Generally speaking, given the information available, I do not think it’s wise to buy a PS4 (or Xbox One) right now until E3 rolls around and Sony and Microsoft reveal their “half-console” plans. Sony seems further along in the process, meaning PS4K seems like more of a reality than Xbox 1.5, but both companies are reportedly working on these upgraded systems. And you might even want to wait until Nintendo reveals the NX (probably in a Direct sometime after E3) to make a judgement call about buying any new system, if you know you only have the budget for one of them.

If you own a PS4 now, go buy Uncharted 4. Like, right now. This isn’t really a debate, and no, I don’t think you should wait for PS4K info or the idea that UC4 could be re-released as an even better-looking version of itself at some point in the future.
This should all be more clear in a month or so after E3,

Full article here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...isnt-talking-about-the-ps4k-yet/#603abfd5528d

I pretty much agree with the author's reasoning regarding PS4K and Uncharted 4. -- However, the idea of a 4K (native resolution) version of Uncharted 4" is obviously not feasible on PS4K / Neo, technically speaking, going by the reported specs anyway. Naturally, 60 frames per second is what most of us hope ND can aim for on the beefier hardware, along with higher quality shadows, textures and stuff like that. As well as whatever HDR + upscale treatment would be appropriate. Those are the things, the terms, that the article should have mentioned IMO.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I have already complained about that like a week ago :p

That's why I don't go too far with nit picking ND's stuff for those kind of details. They already do it better than most every other dev team out there so when they make a mistake its more noticeable but they also avoid so many other weird little things in their games that I don't hold it against them.

Caught my attention when I played a few hours ago :) Anyone else see it while playing?

13z8ys0xov8.gif

SSReborn

Not every game is for everyone, as Neil said "Those who want wall to wall action, maybe he doesn't make games for them". I mean, there's people here saying that voice acting and plot don't matter in games... so, it makes a lot of sense to be dissapointed by this game, truth is the game is not meant for them, it just happen to have certain things that may appeal those people.
The only thing about that comment that doesn't sit right with me is that, that's the foundation the games were based upon. It's not as if it's a new IP I'm loving the game so far but the lack of combat encounters is taking a way a bit for me personally. Wish there were more especially since the mechanics are improved so much. I guess there's co-op to look forward too. There may be some more in the back half but the front half really needed some more.

RedAssedApe

Banned
not to nitpick but in that intro...when you looked down into the water, the way the water flowed over the rocks looked bad to me.

everything else was gorgeous though heh

Jonboy

Made it to chapter 8 last night. Love it so much.

I do have one small, nitpicking complaint though:
How can they have this be the final Uncharted game without Nate's theme?! I know they had a version of it with the opening credits, but it just didn't give me the same nostalgia as the original would have in that moment. Hopefully it makes a return later in the game. Also, is this the only Uncharted game they've made that doesn't have the theme play on the start screen?

If 3, or 4 depending, games hadn't come out setting a precedent it would be different, but this is kind of a major switch up in pacing for this series.

Made it to chapter 8 last night. Love it so much.

I do have one small, nitpicking complaint though:
How can they have this be the final Uncharted game without Nate's theme?! I know they had a version of it with the opening credits, but it just didn't give me the same nostalgia as the original would have in that moment. Hopefully it makes a return later in the game. Also, is this the only Uncharted game they've made that doesn't have the theme play on the start screen?

It's in there :)

HORRORSHØW

Just started; got a chapters in. Graphics are generally good to great, save for the hair and dithering on the skin. Still prefer TLOU's intro; thought it had more of an emotional impact, even if it was predictable.

The only thing about that comment that doesn't sit right with me is that, that's the foundation the games were based upon. It's not as if it's a new IP I'm loving the game so far but the lack of combat encounters is taking a way a bit for me personally. Wish there were more especially since the mechanics are improved so much. I guess there's co-op to look forward too. There may be some more in the back half but the front half really needed some more.

This game is much more plot heavy, I give you that but I still find a lot of action in it and I'm only at chapter 11. The series always had this build up to set pieces and explosive action and Uncharted 4 has all that from chapter 1 to 10, they might take a whole chapter for the build up just for the next one to take on the action but I count that as a whole.
I think that what might disconnect people is the focus and development of the story and characters, even if they find it good, but the action is still there.

Nitsuj23

Question before I start playing -

I have Comcast. My service area apparently suffered an outage while I was at work yesterday. I got home to my game but am unable to download any of the day one patches.

Can I still effectively play single player or are those patches pretty necessary?

Also, does anyone have experience with earning trophies while offline? I'm assuming they'd sync once an internet connection is restored, but after a quick Google search I saw people mentioning on various forums that sometimes earning trophies while offline bugs them and makes them unobtainable even once connection is restored. I'd like to avoid that. Those forum posts were a year+ old, though, so it could have very well been fixed if it was even a real issue to begin with.

Basically wondering if I should start now without any patches/updates or wait until Comcast fixes my internet?

Thanks in advance!

Well this is suppose to be an uncharted game, so people are going to be rightfully pissed off they didnt get an uncharted game.
One could possible assume, creative differences between niel and amy, was niel wanting to make this slow paced game.

Well this is suppose to be an uncharted game, so people are going to be rightfully pissed off they didnt get an uncharted game.
One could possible assume, creative differences between niel and amy, was niel wanting to make this slow paced game.

This still very much a UC game .
Just that it's more story heavy .

Top Bottom