• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Nielm

Just looked at the trophies and holy shit, that platinum looks hard and a lot of work. Not sure if I'm gonna try for it

The 70% Shot Accuracy will be a massive pain. I'm not sure if you can check how accurate you have been so far, but it would be extremely annoying doing a 70% Accuracy attempt and not getting the Trophy.

It's going to be about 4 playthroughs for me before I get the Platinum:

First playthrough on Moderate difficulty, not focusing on getting all of the collectibles
Second playthrough on Crushing difficulty
Third playthrough on Easy, focusing on getting at least 70% Shot Accuracy
Fourth playthrough for the speedrun Trophy

Sami+

Out of curiosity did people find TLoU to be easy on Survival mode, and is Uncharted usually considered easier or harder than that game? :0

Man oh man is this game boring as fuck, people weren't kidding when they said slow start. Here I was thinking TLOU start was dreadful yet here we are, I know things will speed up but Jeezas I hate story being forced on me.

Also my PS4 having a stroke.

I love a good story, but TLoU handles it the wrong way in the beginning. It's just really boring on replays. Hope I like U4's starting chapters better. U2's was fantastic. I even liked the
museum
part that a lot of people hate.

Zemm

The 70% Shot Accuracy will be a massive pain. I'm not sure if you can check how accurate you have been so far, but it would be extremely annoying doing a 70% Accuracy attempt and not getting the Trophy.

I wonder if using the bonuses will stop you getting achievements, because the bullet slow motion will help you get over 70% accuracy.

I love a good story, but TLoU handles it the wrong way in the beginning. It's just really boring on replays. Hope I like U4's starting chapters better. U2's was fantastic. I even liked the
museum

A lot of UC4 is going to be boring on replays, especially the start. It's very influenced by TLoU. This is no UC2 when it comes to replayability. At least they added an encounter selection option.

Managed to start it up and play for an hour last night. This thing just oozes production values and polish. Really impressive to see the PS4 pull off something like this.

My only gripe so far is the melee combat. I hope it evolves a bit more with counters or something, because right now it seems like you just mash square and then mash triangle after you inevitably get hit. Just trading blows with enemies.

Another of my irritations -- and in some encounters it seems they even take away the ability to roll. No way to respond to blows. Nate, keep your hands up buddy!

The Lamp

I do think its an odd nit pick to focus on considering everything else that requires suspension of disbelief. How about the fact that you can just hang forever by only your finger tips? Its a videogame and I believe Druckmann has directly stated that you are going to have gamey elements to the products they make because its essential to making a good game. They aren't trying to make the most realistic gaming product nor are they making the most stylish gameplay focused game out there at the sake of realism.

You can always hang forever on your finger tips, and so can everyone else. That's not broken logic. It's consistent. It's unrealistic but it's consistent.

What is jarring is when game logic is inconsistent. Like in the example I have, when he tells Sam "I can't climb that high, I'll go around" and then blatantly climbs even larger gaps that what was originally there.

It would be like if Nate got visibly shot 800 times in a boss fight but then one bullet to the chest ends his life. That would be ridiculous because of the inconsistent logic. Same concept with my example.

Tomb Raider reboot was a really good game. I have not played UC4 yet, so I cannot compare, but calling TRR a Shit game is a little overboard. Granted everyone has an opinion, but TRR is a very good game imho.

Back to UC4, as I said I have not played it yet, my PS4 died a few weeks ago and still debating if I should buy another one or wait for E3 and see what they say about a slim or the PS4K. Loving all the impressions though, please keep them coming...

Yes it was a good game but imo inferior in every conceivable way to Uncharted 4. I really enjoyed the game but saying it's superior to Uncharted 4 is ridiculous.

I wish there was more shooting. The gunplay is super fun. I almost want to skip stealth and just see how dynamic I can get with traversal killing.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You can always hang forever on your finger tips, and so can everyone else. That's not broken logic. It's consistent. It's unrealistic but it's consistent.

What is jarring is when game logic is inconsistent. Like in the example I have, when he tells Sam "I can't climb that high, I'll go around" and then blatantly climbs even larger gaps that what was originally there.

That's my point though. Its just another weird game limitation. They want you to go to a very specific place and do it in a specific manner. I could also bring up how you are constantly being told about your
air supply while scuba diving
but it was never really an important thing. The game does this all the time with characters talking about or reacting to something that doesn't always make sense to us, the player. Its just some added flavor and sometimes related to what you're doing directly in the game.

Floody

Out of curiosity did people find TLoU to be easy on Survival mode, and is Uncharted usually considered easier or harder than that game? :0

I'd consider the actually enemies harder in the Uncharted games, but Survival in TLoU can get really brutal if you are careless with supplies.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The stelath gameplay is pretty limited, seriously, they had lures in TLOU but not here. Leading to a lot of waiting. Enemy AI is also really bad, killed five guys with neck snaps in the exact same location. Enjoying the game otherwise but the stealth is slightly disappointing to me because of those reasons. Someone said it was the best sandbox stealth ever made bar none, holy shit they couldn't be more wrong and/or need to play more stealth games. ._.

delume

Why did you jump in on the final game in the series? Seems odd to me
In the past I would have gone back and played through the lot but gaming time for me is a rare commodity these days. I didn't own a PS3 and I just didnt't feel like I could commit the the ND Collection. Same thing occured with Dark Souls III recently and, though I may of missed many connections to previous entries, I got to enjoy a very refined experience fresh. I think it was on the GI podcasts where someone was bemoaning that this (UC4) feels like the fourth time you are doing something so some of that magic has dulled for them. It's interesting for me personally because it is a big shift in how I view gaming and this hobby, as opposed to how I engaged with games as a younger more obssessive player. Jesus, I feel like this post should have started with "dear diary". Sorry gang, UC4 is great! :)

The Lamp

That's my point though. Its just another weird game limitation. They want you to go to a very specific place and do it in a specific manner. I could also bring up how you are constantly being told about your
air supply while scuba diving
but it was never really an important thing. The game does this all the time with characters talking about or reacting to something that doesn't always make sense to us, the player. Its just some added flavor and sometimes related to what you're doing directly in the game.

The scuba example is not good. It's part of a story element, it's his way of just telling Nate to hurry up and showcasing that he's good at his job by getting the cargo in record time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Another of my irritations -- and in some encounters it seems they even take away the ability to roll. No way to respond to blows. Nate, keep your hands up buddy!

Indeed. Melee combat has never been fantastic in these games, but at least you could generally do some kind of counter or dodge move to skillfully defeat opponents. Not a fan of this button mashing brawl stuff.

Just finish it , it is for certain my favorite ND game .
I love the ending and it is a great send off for drake .

Short review.
GFX .what more can be said the best looking game on consoles right now .
They art was also great .
Music . the soundtrack was good for what they were going for and some tracks are rather good .
Gameplay , ND best playing game ,with there best level design yet .
Control were goods and they are many ways to do the combat encounters .
Animation . This now set the bar for every other game and it's a very high bar .
Best animation i have ever seen in a game .
Everything else was also great from VA etc etc .
Story . I really like this story and this was a great send off for the series .

Will replay later on but now it's time for some MP .

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The scuba example is not good. It's part of a story element, it's his way of just telling Nate to hurry up and showcasing that he's good at his job by getting the cargo in record time.

Again my point is there are these moments scattered through out the entire game and I found a bit odd you kept focusing on one throw away line of dialogue at a tiny section of the game. If you want something more obvious and direct, how about the fact the enemies cant really see your AI partners if you haven't alerted them. I had Sam literally jumping from beam to beam in front of an enemy while I hid behind cover and the dude didn't even react.

It would be like if Nate got visibly shot 800 times in a boss fight but then one bullet to the chest ends his life. That would be ridiculous because of the inconsistent logic. Same concept with my example.

Nate's Wolverine-like regeneration powers aren't consistent to the rest of the game-world. No one else is able to do this, as they're dead within a few shots.

Nate's AI partners are essentially invisible to everyone during gameplay, but I'm sure at some point in the story, one of them will be hurt or killed by an enemy that would never notice them during a combat encounter (I'm very early on in the game, so this is purely speculation). That's not consistent.

It's a video game. There's going to be wild inconsistencies. Some moreso than others. You're absolutely right that your example makes no sense and is inconsistent. My point is that I'm surprised it's something that would take you out of the experience, compared to so many other elements of this franchise.

zsynqx

museum

TLOU is still my favourite game of all time, but the opening couple of hours in UC4 are miles better than they are in TLOU. Chapter
is just GOAT stuff in terms of interactive storytelling. at least in a AAA game.

Vaga

Tomb Raider reboot was a really good game. I have not played UC4 yet, so I cannot compare, but calling TRR a Shit game is a little overboard. Granted everyone has an opinion, but TRR is a very good game imho.

I have played both and TR2013 is awful. Taken on its own even with cringy dialogue, laughable plot, mediocre visuals, level and sound design maybe you have a "good game". Calling it superior well that's kinda dumb by any standards.

are you at least referring to ROTTR and not TR2013? lol
I was actually referring to TR2013! :)

It definitely has its flaws here n there, such as not enough tombs, and repetitive combat sequences. But personally found it a more enjoyable game playing experience. One minor bit I loved was that the treasures you found were relevant to the story plot and you learned or discovered things by inspecting them afterwards.

Then there's weapon options. Every weapon you collect and upgrade has a purpose somewhere in the game. Requiring you to constantly change things up and think about what the best way to overcome an obstacle is. It's similarly linear like UC design, the difference being that it's more fun getting to the end point.

The Tomb Raider reboot (If you are referring to the 2013 game) has nothing on this game. It has inferior:

Graphics
Animations
Plot
Dialogue
Characters
Voice Acting
Level Design
Gameplay
Audio
Puzzles
Those items define an interactive movie. Who cares about voice acting, dialogue, and plot in a GAME?

Personally thought they were fine in TR 2013. What makes it superior is game play. Graphics wise, all console games are pretty much on the same tier nowadays.

If you want to call referencing items you find a puzzle, cool. I prefer putting pieces together in an environment to figure out what needs to be done.

@mods, am NOT a troll and do not mean to derail thread.

Greg

just started 4 after playing through 2 & 3 back to back from the collection... sure do miss 60fps - saw/felt it right away

Ducktail

I love how impressive the visuals are, and I'm okay with the less pronounced soundtrack.

I tried to fool my 63 years old mother. I showed her a cutscene and said I was watching a film.

She just grinned and said: "That's a game, son". And walked away.

The stelath gameplay is pretty limited, seriously, they had lures in TLOU but not here. Leading to a lot of waiting. Enemy AI is also really bad, killed five guys with neck snaps in the exact same location. Enjoying the game otherwise but the stealth is slightly disappointing to me because of those reasons. Someone said it was the best sandbox stealth ever made bar none, holy shit they couldn't be more wrong and/or need to play more stealth games. ._.

I have to agree, and it's too easy to lose them.

I was in a tower and was surrounded by about 10 guys, all on the ground below me but while up there I went into cover and after about 30 or so seconds they just stopped shooting and acted as if they lost me and tarted searching for me, they wouldn't have seen me come down? lol. There are definitely a few things TLoU did way better.

Grisby

Chapter 4 was fun.

I feel like TLOU had more action though in it's early hours then UC4 has had though. Which is a strange statement to make, lol.

Elitist1945

If there's one thing I do dislike about the game, its the soundtrack for me. I missed Greg Edmonson's score and thought Henry Jackman's score sounded too Hollywood, and actually kinda sounded like The Order: 1886's OST.

Oh, look Tomb Raider discussion in an Uncharted thread.

QQ0sADR.jpg

Wow. Chapter 4 spoilers.
That dialogue is so solid. Exactly how a non-gamer would react to CB. Love how Elena is the gamer. Also a backseat gamer too, lol. Pretty great.

Tomb Raider combat isn't good lol
Tomb raider isn't a good game at all. Bad combat, laughable story/narrative, weak set pieces, controller input latency(also featured in rotr), etc. I could go on. The only thing I liked from the game was the weapon crafting. Both rotr and the reboot are last gen games in every possible category except for graphics where it's cross-gen. It would've been groundbreaking in 2010 but by today's standards it's especially poor.

Wow. Chapter 4 spoilers.
That dialogue is so solid. Exactly how a non-gamer would react to CB. Love how Elena is the gamer. Also a backseat gamer too, lol. Pretty great.

Yeah, that entire sequence had me grinning from ear to ear. I'm so glad it wasn't spoiled for me before playing the game.

Hawk269

Just went into the screen shot thread and I am even more tempted to get another PS4 for this game. A few questions since I am trying to avoid spoilers....

1.) Are there any open type areas where you explore, not the Madagascar area, but other areas where you are on foot and you have a big open environment of cave like area that you can explore?

2.) Is the grappling rope cheesy are is it implemented well? Is it too over the top?

Man, part of me is saying to stay strong and wait till E3, then I keep coming here and the screen shot thread and get tempted. Appreciate anyone answering the above however as it will help in my decision making.

Lingitiz

Chapter 4 was fun.

I feel like TLOU had more action though in it's early hours then UC4 has had though. Which is a strange statement to make, lol.
Yeah it is definitely slow in the beginning but I think it's essential for the whole game. You can't introduce a new central character and make us care about him without giving a good amount of non action build up. It's not a boring early couple of hours but I was itching to get to some action.

RedAssedApe

Banned
TLOU is still my favourite game of all time, but the opening couple of hours in UC4 are miles better than they are in TLOU. Chapter
is just GOAT stuff in terms of interactive storytelling. at least in a AAA game.

intro to tlou still beats the pants off anything i've played. but yeah there is a slow burn specifically that section you look for robert.

i'm not sure what people are referring to as "the intro" when they talk about uc4 sometimes. as i'm seeing some people reference chapters that occur after the credits roll.

chapter 1 to me was basically a repeat of the young drake/sully sequence from uc3 and was a little dull

chapter
4 is pure nostalgia. even the "easter egg" lol
i don't consider it part of the intro though. even though i guess its technically a prologue to the adventure? i've only gotten to the auction house so far though.

Has anyone ever created a compilation video of all the "grab falling adult by one hand and manage to "catch" them and pull them to safety" moments in these games? Having just played UC1 and 2 remastered (still working on 3 but never finished the original ps3 version either) and now UC4 I have noticed there are a ridiculous amount of these moments in game. I was laughing about them during my first couple of hours because I am pretty sure there are like 3 of these in the first hour or two.

I don't mind these moments but man are they just ridiculous. I actually enjoy them more now due to that.

Yeah, that entire sequence had me grinning from ear to ear. I'm so glad it wasn't spoiled for me before playing the game.
Still Ch 4 spoilers.
I love the room before that too. Such a nostalgia trip. And when Drake opened the case with Sam's stuff and just put it back down. Also Nerf guns, lol.
Seriously the writing and character here is top notch. Drake and Elena become so much more human and I'm still at the beginning. Animation, facial animation especially is top notch. Top tier right now.
Edit: Also the environment design like TLoU is fucking amazing. Actually feels lived in.

Osahi

Just went into the screen shot thread and I am even more tempted to get another PS4 for this game. A few questions since I am trying to avoid spoilers....

1.) Are there any open type areas where you explore, not the Madagascar area, but other areas where you are on foot and you have a big open environment of cave like area that you can explore?

2.) Is the grappling rope cheesy are is it implemented well? Is it too over the top?

Man, part of me is saying to stay strong and wait till E3, then I keep coming here and the screen shot thread and get tempted. Appreciate anyone answering the above however as it will help in my decision making.

1) yes. There are at least two other big areas like the Madagascar one, and some smaller ones that are still quite big.

2) it is a bit larger then life, but well implemented and versatile (more to it then swinging ;-) )

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not following the marketing at all, I'm so disappointed that there's no co-op mode in the game. I just assumed they weren't testing it in the beta.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Did the previous games have the mechanic where you
stab into soft areas with your spike while climbing? I only remember that being in Tomb Raider but I have an awful memory so I may just be forgetting it.

muteki

Still Ch 4 spoilers.
I love the room before that too. Such a nostalgia trip. And when Drake opened the case with Sam's stuff and just put it back down. Also Nerf guns, lol.
Seriously the writing and character here is top notch. Drake and Elena become so much more human and I'm still at the beginning. Animation, facial animation especially is top notch. Top tier right now.
Edit: Also the environment design like TLoU is fucking amazing. Actually feels lived in.
Ch4 general:
I'm probably the only one that noticed it but I loved all the bottles of lotion/handsoap/etc laying around the house, everything looked real detailed and "lived in". Even stopped to stare at the clothes closet for a bit.

Top Bottom