• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Well this is suppose to be an uncharted game, so people are going to be rightfully pissed off they didnt get an uncharted game.
One could possible assume, creative differences between niel and amy, was niel wanting to make this slow paced game.

....but they did get an Uncharted game.

A slower opening doesn't change that.

shiba5

Caught my attention when I played a few hours ago :) Anyone else see it while playing?

13z8ys0xov8.gif

Missed that. So cool! I found lots of lemurs though.

Seriously, I don't know why you're finding this game not to be an Uncharted game... it feels evolved yeah, but it's still an Uncharted to me.

gamerMan

Yeah it is definitely slow in the beginning but I think it's essential for the whole game. You can't introduce a new central character and make us care about him without giving a good amount of non action build up. It's not a boring early couple of hours but I was itching to get to some action.

Yeah I feel the same way. The game sacrifices too much gameplay to build a story. The first 7 or 8 chapters are only in the game to build the story, which comes at expense of the game. The best part is looking for the treasures because then at least you have to explore the gorgeous environments. It's is necessary to introduce characters but it really slows down the game. Oh well, you can't have everything.

Elfstruck

Those items define an interactive movie. Who cares about voice acting, dialogue, and plot in a GAME?

Personally thought they were fine in TR 2013. What makes it superior is game play. Graphics wise, all console games are pretty much on the same tier nowadays.

If you want to call referencing items you find a puzzle, cool. I prefer putting pieces together in an environment to figure out what needs to be done.

@mods, am NOT a troll and do not mean to derail thread.

Not all console games are on the same tier. Have you play videogames at all? Your comment is definition of a troll.

This is the Uncharted game they were always trying to make but couldn't for various reasons

Not sure about this, I find U4 to be the game that would have existed after 2 if they wouldn't have made TLOU. I don't know the truth but with Amy in charge I think we would have Uncharted 3.5 today, and maybe those people that are complaining would be more happy. Truth is, in general, according to critics and most people the changes are for good.

Yeah, I think I'm out of this thread until I beat the game. Was perusing at work just to tide me over until I could get home and play more and I've already seen two things I wish I hadn't - I've kept myself spoiler-free and in the dark about almost all the set piece/locations up until release and I'm already ruining all that work by just looking in here.

It's gonna be tough not to post reactions as I play but I'm gonna have to to preserve the experience. See y'all on the other side!

Lingitiz

Yeah I feel the same way. The game sacrifices too much gameplay to build a story. The first 7 or 8 chapters are only in the game to build the story, which comes at expense of the game. The best part is looking for the treasures because then at least you have to explore the gorgeous environments. It's is necessary to introduce characters but it really slows down the game. Oh well, you can't have everything.

The part that truly feels overlong is the auction section. By that time I feel like they already established Sam and I was ready for things to really start snowballing. It doesn't really begin until chapter 8. I'm on 12 now and it has been pretty awesome non-stop since then.

I'm pretty happy with how they've managed to evolve the mechanics in this game. They do finally introduce a little bit of added depth to the traversal that makes it more than just automatic X presses to the next story location. Gunplay is right up there with the best in third person shooting. Great hit reactions/enemy feedback, weapons have good deep audio, movement is seemless and fluid...it's really the pinnacle for this series.

Jackman's dynamic soundtrack is awesome. The way it weaves in and out of stealth and action is spot on. I can see people getting upset with the lack of grand tracks like in 1-3, but this fits the tone a lot better.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Man I cant decide whether I'm disappointed or not, Abviously uncharted 4 is a great game worthy of all the praise it gets but its not the Uncharted sequel I wanted. To me Uncharted has always been a shooter with light puzzle and platforming sections for downbeat moments but this one is exact opposite.

VanWinkle

I wonder how well this is going to sell. I have to say (based purely on anecdotal evidence) that I'm ever so slightly worried. I have at least ten friends and coworkers who are big into gaming and play mostly on PS4, and only ONE of them bought it. Most of them said it looked good but they were saving for Overwatch or didn't play the earlier games or whatever. Also purely anecdotal, but I didn't sell a single copy yesterday. I work in electronics department at a retail store. Granted, I didn't start there until 4pm, so I'm sure some copies were sold earlier.

Obviously it will sell well (would be crazy to think it wouldn't), but I did find those experiences really odd. I was trying to tell them how amazing the game was, but no such luck.

zsynqx

I wonder how well this is going to sell. I have to say (based purely on anecdotal evidence) that I'm ever so slightly worried. I have at least ten friends and coworkers who are big into gaming and play mostly on PS4, and only ONE of them bought it. Most of them said it looked good but they were saving for Overwatch or didn't play the earlier games or whatever. Also purely anecdotal, but I didn't sell a single copy yesterday. I work in electronics department at a retail store. Granted, I didn't start there until 4pm, so I'm sure some copies were sold earlier.

Obviously it will sell well (would be crazy to think it wouldn't), but I did find those experiences really odd. I was trying to tell them how amazing the game was, but no such luck.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2016/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar

Slaythe

Man I cant decide whether I'm disappointed or not, Abviously uncharted 4 is a great game worthy of all the praise it gets but its not the Uncharted sequel I wanted. To me Uncharted has always been a shooter with light puzzle and platforming sections for downbeat moments but this one is exact opposite.

That's why Uncharted 4 is a much better game.

They finally made this a true adventure.

That's for the best IMO.

Is it just me or is there MUCH more climbing and senseless running in this game than in the previous ones?

Yep, that is why the ranking goes U2 > U3 > U4 > U1 for me. Still an amazing game and I would give it 10/10. The focus is just on things I don't care about, like driving a jeep through empty terrain to find some useless treasures...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Yeah I can see a lot of people feeling this way but I am very happy that they toned down the gunplay. I felt the games could devolve into just wave after waves of enemy in a closed off environment or throw a huge dude with a gattling gun that would absorb bullets. That stuff was getting old last gen. and feels down right ancient if not pulled off flawlessly this gen.

Elfstruck

Well, it's such a small sample size. I think this game will sell well above 3 million in its first week.

The game feels jarringly different from all the others. It's weird. There are some moments where I'd prefer to watch the cinematics and then there are other times where I'd prefer to play the game.

f@luS

More than a member.
Playing this game remind me why I still love video games.
I usually never finish solo game anymore. Played 4h of dark soul 3. 3/4 of blood born , almost finished batman .....I'm usually bored before the end. For this game I just can't let go of the controller.

Insanity ... How good naughty dogs are. as someone said here we may not see such a polished experience this generation beside their next game

Jamiaro

I hear you and I agree. So far I am a bit disappointed by all this... well, running around and climbing. A good game but SO FAR nothing outstanding imo. Chapter 9 just started.

Omg. Finally at the jungle and this game is gorgeous. The storm rolling in..oh my god.

I really wanted more of the game to be about the island. I hope it's a long section. I just LOVE the foliage

Whatever ND does next, I hope they do a forest I can get lost in.

I expect that this going to sell at least 6 million by the end of the year .
Which would be rather good sales.

I hope the DLC is the cut set-piece that Troy Baker was talking about. I would definitely pay for that! I'm hoping that everything they wanted to do with this game is in it when all is said and done!

I hear you and I agree. So far I am a bit disappointed by all this... well, running around and climbing. A good game but SO FAR nothing outstanding imo. Chapter 9 just started.

This is exactly where I'm at as well, and I'm also temporarily satiated on the traversal. Keep seeing people say things really get humming in some of the later chapters, so looking forward to that.

BFIB

Playing this game remind me why I still love video games.
I usually never finish solo game anymore. Played 4h of dark soul 3. 3/4 of blood born , almost finished batman .....I'm usually bored before the end. For this game I just can't let go of the controller.

Insanity ... How good naughty dogs are. as someone said here we may not see such a polished experience this generation beside their next game
Witcher 3 is on par to me.

rdytoroll

Omg. Finally at the jungle and this game is gorgeous. The storm rolling in..oh my god.

I really wanted more of the game to be about the island. I hope it's a long section. I just LOVE the foliage

Whatever ND does next, I hope they do a forest I can get lost in.

Oh boy, straddle in. The island is such a big part of the game, you'll love it. That's all Im gonna say

Yeah I can see a lot of people feeling this way but I am very happy that they toned down the gunplay. I felt the games could devolve into just wave after waves of enemy in a closed off environment or throw a huge dude with a gattling gun that would absorb bullets. That stuff was getting old last gen. and feels down right ancient if not pulled off flawlessly this gen.

When considering the game on its own merits and not comparing it to the rest, my only real gripe with the game is the ending chapters, where they just start throwing hordes of enemies at you.

zsynqx

When considering the game on its own merits and not comparing it to the rest, my only real gripe with the game is the ending chapters, where they just start throwing hordes of enemies at you.

I enjoy those parts but can understand why others don't. But even those throw 100 enemies at you sections were so much better than the original trilogy.

The Lamp

Stop associating with peasants.

It will sell really well.

Chapter 8 & 9 were absolutely wonderful.

Those chapters must have taken me 2-3 hours to complete. I just can not run straight forward and do my objective.

Naughty Dog creates an environment in their games where I get this feeling of missing out on something spectacular if I rush.

"We're disappointed because we wanted an Uncharted game" (ergo claiming this isn't one) is like the babies who whine when a band changes their style on a new album.

Get over it.

Top Bottom