• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

The Lamp

"We're disappointed because we wanted an Uncharted game" (ergo claiming this isn't one) is like the babies who whine when a band changes their style on a new album.

Get over it.

It's a totally valid concern and it's completely expected that these people are disappointed. People who don't like new Linkin Park because it doesn't sound like old Linkin Park are legitimate in their opinion.

Get over yourself.

tskeeve

That's why Uncharted 4 is a much better game.

They finally made this a true adventure.

That's for the best IMO.

100% agreed. This is the Uncharted I wanted from the very beginning. My one big issue with the franchise before was how overly shooter-oriented it was. I can play MP to get my shooting fix. So thankful that the SP feels like more of an adventure.

The Lamp

100% agreed. This is the Uncharted I wanted from the very beginning. My one big issue with the franchise before was how overly shooter-oriented it was. I can play MP to get my shooting fix. So thankful that the SP feels like more of an adventure.

Shooting isn't the opposite of adventure. In fact, for how good the combat is and how MUCH aimless open level crate-on-wheels partner boosting boringness is in this game, I think more combat in the middle-to-late chapters could have made it feel even more adventurous.

hughesta

Banned
Question about the plot developments in Chapter 16:
am I forgetting something, or does this ruin Drake's entire motivation in Drake's Fortune? Why bother trying to prove he's Francis' heir if he knew he just changes his name to look like it?

ghibli99

First impressions after 4 chapters: Insane graphics, lots of cutscenes, unmatched detail, too many stupid deaths (generous checkpoints, though), tons of series nods, good villain, what's with all the one-handed catches again?, and again, insane graphics.

Chapter 10 is literally the greatest thing ever. My GOD.

If there's something better than this...I don't know man!

The use of the
car to platform is
OUTSTANDING. SO GOOD.

It's a totally valid concern and it's completely expected that these people are disappointed. People who don't like new Linkin Park because it doesn't sound like old Linkin Park are legitimate in their opinion.

Get over yourself.
Sure they're free to say whatever nonsense they want, and I'm legitimate in pointing out that people grow, artists change, interests evolve, and you can GTFO if you think they have to stay stagnant for you.
Oh god. I hope Uncharted 4 is not the Super Mario 3D World of PS4. Let's talk about true 3D Uncharted games!
Ugh. I'm not a fan of 3D World either, but it'd be nice to not devolve every conversation about the stupid game into discussions of what "true 3D" games are. Let's pray that never happens to UC4.

The Lamp

Sure they're free to say whatever nonsense they want, and I'm legitimate in pointing out that people grow, artists change, interests evolve, and you can GTFO if you think they have to stay stagnant for you.

Your reactions and words are petulant. Nobody has to get out for criticizing Uncharted 4, and nobody said anything about staying stagnant.

This is the first Uncharted where I feel all the elements are working unison with each other, instead of "these are the action parts!...and these are the bits you do in-between the action stuff". Like they're all working together to create one cinematic adventure experience.

silva1991

Just finished the game and I feel empty :(

what a journey it's easily better than 1 and 3 combined and as good as 2

2 is better at set pieces and humor between characters

4 is better at gameplay over all, exploration by far and story

the ending was perfect for me

Just listened to the entire ost while mowing and I have to say, most of the songs sounded like the music that would play during an opening credit sequence at the theater (kept getting Spider-Man 1 or 2 vibes).

There was ONE standout track that I can't wait to experience in game (unless I already had in the opening? I forget now).

I feel like ND/Sony/Edmonson got caught plagiarizing a Russian composer and instead had to keep *hinting* at a proper Nate theme or Uncharted theme a la MGS4's ost haha.

Still, the game is great and I'll admit that the music is well composed. It just doesn't suit.

Your reactions and words are petulant. Nobody has to get out for criticizing Uncharted 4, and nobody said anything about staying stagnant.
"they didn't make an Uncharted game" = boohoo I wanted more of the same shit

There are plenty of valid criticisms of any game, this one included. Going down this road usually isn't one of them.

The Lamp

This is the first Uncharted where I feel all the elements are working unison with each other, instead of "these are the action parts!...and these are the bits you do in-between the action stuff". Like they're all working together to create one cinematic adventure experience.

Ehh I dunno, I think the action parts stick out more to me because of how disproportionate in frequency they are to the rest of the gameplay.

Shredderi

I hope to see Nathan in the dlc(if there is one)

Please tell me you didn't spoil the ending?

ran into a first glitch. I cannot get the trophy to unlock for using every weapon in the game. Seen a couple of other people mention it elsewhere, so unless we are missing something, i think its glitched

Scrawnton

I dont know where to ask this or if it has been brought up, but do the shadows look low rez and grainy to anyone else? When lighting is affecting my characters faces and minor shadows go across them it gets this real noticeable grainy look to them and it hardly looks like a game with high image quality that DF said it was.

Was wondering if anyone noticed any weird screen door like effect on characters faces when playing/watching the game.

tskeeve

Shooting isn't the opposite of adventure. In fact, for how good the combat is and how MUCH aimless open level crate-on-wheels partner boosting boringness is in this game, I think more combat in the middle-to-late chapters could have made it feel even more adventurous.

In my opinion, the extremely shoot-heavy gameplay of the series from 1-3 did interfere with the feeling of adventure.

The Lamp

"they didn't make an Uncharted game" = boohoo I wanted more of the same shit

There are plenty of valid criticisms of any game, this one included. Going down this road usually isn't one of them.

I mean, we hear people say they don't think a new artists album is anything like their old one, and they are disappointed, and that's fine. To them, it doesn't sound like the artist anymore. To some people, this doesn't play quite like Uncharted anymore. Of course, in either case, it's hyperbole to claim it's just not X at all anymore.

I hope to see Nathan in the dlc(if there is one)

i knew i shouldnt have read this thread

f@luS

More than a member.
Omg chapter 11 ending. Can't believe anything will top that

They modeled the whole city which u can see street by street from up , it's fully drivable ! Crazy ... And after .. Oh my

zsynqx

I think this absolutely nails it.

Get over yourself.

Man it sounds like you've been complaining about this game nonstop since release and are looking hard for someone else to share your opinions. I understand your points but they didn't bother me at all.

LUXURY

The 5GB download for install is crawling, nothing new there. I got the Liberteria Edition with the DLC. I went to the store and entered the code, it accepted it then just closed. No where do I see it as a download in my notifications and when I try to enter it again it reads as redeemed. Did I just lose it? The store is acting buggy when loading too.

TheMan

played a few hours today, so far i've made it to
scotland, on my way to the graveyard
Impressions:
Not super impressed with the gunplay. It's serviceable, but something about it just feels off.
Too many cutscenes, and they tend to drag on too long.
Game certainly looks good but i'm not floored or anything. Diminishing returns and all that.

So far, I'm glad this was a rental and not a buy. For context, I didn't have a ps3, but I played bits of the first 3 games when I rented the UCC a few months back.

also,
crash bandicoot was a nice suprise

Caode

Just hit Chapter 12 - first things first, just to get it out of the way.. the visuals.. in-fucking-sanity.

It's something special - I'm about 7 hours in, playing on Hard mode - wonderful pacing, I really appreciate the sense of character that's allowed to grow in the early chapters, it doesn't rush from set piece to set piece, the combat is pretty much perfect. If it maintains this standard of quality for the rest of the game this should easily replace Uncharted 2 as the best in the series.

Also, multiplayer; are people completely oblivious to the idea of team-work? No one seems to bother with healing, providing support etc - a shame since the MP is damn good when it all comes together with some team-work.

sora87

Trophy/treasure spoiler.
Missed 2 strange relics it looks like. Dunno if I can be bothered playing through entire chapters for them :/

The Lamp

Man it sounds like you've been complaining about this game nonstop since release and are looking hard for someone else to share your opinions. I understand your points but they didn't bother me at all.

I've been in these threads for a couple of weeks, where else am I supposed to talk about this game on GAF other than the Uncharted threads?

I actually posted last night that my opinion of the game is getting much better with replay. I've avoided treasures and turned off subtitles for it to be more immersive. I've also been answering specific questions.

I have been responding to other people's opinions and points for the sake of discussion. It's not the same people every time. It's no less enlightening than the people who pop in here constantly to drive-by and say OMFGZZZZ GOTY one-liners while they play each chapter.

Also, I was specifically responding to a dramatic poster.

Ricker

Up to chapter 8,I love the pacing in the game,from the story parts to the small shooting/actions sections so far...so well done...the part where Nate and Elena are talking on the sofa eating diner was incredible,I had goosebumps on how good the mo-cap/graphics or whatever they did in this scene to make it feel so damn good...

Shredderi

Weird to see that the ricebags in the market place got downgraded from the videos. Shooting holes in them no longer made the rice pour out :(

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Just finished Chapter 8. They have once again done a really phenomenal job with the environments, so far. The sequence where you rejoin the firefight in the Italian villa was scripted perfectly. "Tall grass" stealth isn't the most elegantly executed aspect of the game, but any area where you can use verticality and rolling from cover to cover to get around enemies is extremely fun. I laughed the first time an enemy grabbed onto Nate's foot after a ledge pull... I don't remember that ever happening in the prior games. There is a little more obviousness with enemy's having a blind spot with Sam since you're dealing with humans instead of zombies, but it is probably better than getting screwed for friendly AI not being as stealthy. Overall, so far, so great.

Sp3ratus

Neo Member
Just finished it earlier today, such an amazing game. Big fan of everything, the story, the gameplay, the environments, the graphics, the characters, the music, the sound design, oh man, the game with surround sound is just something else and of course the ending. Finished it in around 17 hours on hard. Can't wait for the DLC.

I'll give it a little more time before I make up my mind on where it fits in the rankings, but it's going to be either 1st or 2nd spot for sure.

Triz

There is a sequence in the late game thats a definite nod to the
Crash Bandicoot
from the beginning. I wonder how many people will realize that.

This
Scotland
level has been great so far. Great balance between the action and traversal. This is also where you see how the combat has opened up and its really satisfying pulling off a perfect string of executions while utilizing that extra space.

Hawk269

I snapped and just got back from Best Buy with the PlayStation 4 Uncharted Bundle. I was contemplating waiting until E3 and possible Slim or PS4K release, but I had the money and I really want to play this game so I just said "fuck it" and bought it. Decided to pick up Ratchet & Clank and since they had a sale on Last of Us I picked that up too. Now the setting up, downloading updates and installing the game. I also have about 5 digital games that I owned when my PS4 died so I have those to download as well. I am not a big fan of the way the system looks, especially the color, but there were no other options other than the Call of Duty bundle, but I have no interest in that game and the resale of the game is not high anymore.

I figure if a PS4k does come out I can trade in the system towards the new hotness, that is if it does come out. Regardless, I will soon be able to join everyone in enjoying this game. Going to put a few hours into the game, watch Deadpool and then play a bit more tonight.

Top Bottom