• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Weird to see that the ricebags in the market place got downgraded from the videos. Shooting holes in them no longer made the rice pour out :(

Um it absolutely does make the rice pour out I specifically went to cover behind them and the effect looked better than that trailer.

The Lamp

This
Scotland
level has been great so far. Great balance between the action and traversal. This is also where you see how the combat has opened up and its really satisfying pulling off a perfect string of executions while utilizing that extra space.

This was my second favorite level actually precisely because I felt the balance was on-point.

cyba89

Just finished Chapter 11.

I catched up on the franchise with the Nathan Drake collection last year and this game definitely has the potential to be up there with Uncharted 2. I don't hold the series in that high "masterpiece" regard as a lot of other people but this is still a really great and fun game.

Shredderi

Um it absolutely does make the rice pour out I specifically went to cover behind them and the effect looked better than that trailer.

I actually quadra checked by dying on purpose four times to test it but no rice or deflation was presented for me :(

The game is all up-to-date and all too.

Wrynnax

Chapter 8 for some bizarre reason reminded me of
prince of persia:the sands of time. I mean the part under the cathedral with the beams and the pillars.
Weird kinda connection in my brain probably.

JTripper

Beat it. Ending was perfect. Naughty Dog once again goes above and beyond.

Don't know if I liked it more than TLoU but that doesn't matter because it's my favorite Uncharted, without question.

Believe it or not I've never played an UC game despite owning a PS3 from 2008 until 2013 when the PS4 was released. So the million dollar question is: do I need to have played the prior UC games in order to play UC4? I may pick it up tonight depending on the responses...

Kazooie

Banned
Can't stop playing the online! So fast paced it is great fun. Ak47 seems to be the best Rifle by far but I'm yet to unlock the SCAR so we'll see.

I can not wait for The Last of Us 2.

mjc

Question for you guys, does this do a good job of refreshing the overall story? It's not so much for me, but my girlfriend will probably watch me play and I don't want her to be lost.

Chapter 8 for some bizarre reason reminded me of
prince of persia:the sands of time. I mean the part under the cathedral with the beams and the pillars.
Weird kinda connection in my brain probably.

A lot of the game reminds me of Sands of Time in a lot of ways, so you're not alone

The Lamp

Believe it or not I've never played an UC game despite owning a PS3 from 2008 until 2013 when the PS4 was released. So the million dollar question is: do I need to have played the prior UC games in order to play UC4? I may pick it up tonight depending on the responses...

You don't need to but you're doing a disservice to your gaming life for not having played U2 lol, and missing out on U1-U3 means you will not be as attached to the characters and references in this game. But the game's story is cleanly isolated and you can enjoy the gameplay and story for what it is on its own.

But hopefully if you only play U4 that you're inspired to pick up the Uncharted Collection and play the others. They're great games and give context for U4.

JTripper

It would be a grave mistake to miss out on the previous 3 games and just jump into 4 cold. You might still enjoy 4 regardless but I'll go so far as to say that you objectively will not enjoy it as much as you would if you had played the others.

Personally, there is absolutely no way I would be enjoying this game as much as I am if I had skipped the previous games. I really, really, REALLY think you should play the Nathan Drake Collection before going through Uncharted 4.

zsynqx

No but worth watching these short recaps. Playing the previous games will give you greater appreciation though. A lot of callbacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfNLr5Iqaes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOWbf95fcLU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RDCYJmfdqs

That's why Uncharted 4 is a much better game.

They finally made this a true adventure.

That's for the best IMO.

Yep.

Just finished it earlier today...... amazing game.

Easily beats out TLOU even imo, this is their best output.
I think you're giving out a little bit too much information here in the non-spoiler thread.

If you want to talk about what you did and didn't like with the way they done the game, especially stuff central to how the story was done and what it focuses on, you're in the wrong thread. Go to the spoiler thread.

Kuro

Hard mode completely ruined my enjoyment of this game and I've played every single uncharted. Getting RPG'd while getting shot at from every direction while climbing absolute nightmare.

got to chapter 11 or 12. Had to pace it so stopped playing because I want the experience to last. Just so good. The new combat with the tall grass and swinging (playing on hard) is tricky enough to be bloody satisfying when you finish the encounters.

Hard mode completely ruined my enjoyment of this game and I've played every single uncharted. Getting RPG'd while getting shot at from every direction while climbing absolute nightmare.

I actually loved the challenge. You take out the RPG guys first or sneak around and get as many as you can before kicking off the firefight + run and roll a lot.

wouwie

I'm on chapter 7 now. I've never been a big fan of the first few levels in every Uncharted released so far (e.g. UC2 only started to get really good at chapter 6 iirc) and this trend seems to continue in UC4 but for even more chapters than in previous games. I'm not having all that much fun yet tbh. Also, Naughty Dog's eagerness for being cinematic and telling a story seems to get more and more in the way of the gameplay. I feel it's getting out of balance, more than in previous games.

michael92, edit that shit. Jesus Christ.

Some people need to learn how to use spoiler tags. Respect those of us who haven't finished the game, please.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Its probably been mentioned before, but the photocopy of a forum topic printout Sam hands over about the auction is a full on NeoGAF nod right? Even had OT in the topic title.

also holy fucking shit, this game is astounding.

I liked the story a lot more in the original trilogy to be honest.

The lack of the supernatural element and the need to make everything realistic removed a whole lot from the story. Without the supernatural element a lot of the grandiose mechanisms used in the puzzles stop making sense. How the hell did they build them? Also, what happens to the continuity? Did the monsters in the first 2 really exist, or were they hallucinations like the third one? I feel like Druckmann changed a lot more in the story than he should have. In many ways it didn't feel like an Uncharted game and that's a shame. I know it might be nostalgia that's talking, but I still feel that such a massive change in the concept should be done in a reboot and not in a sequel. If that was the case I would be totally fine with it.
Epilogue Spoiler:
Am I watching a telenovela ending or something?

Uncharted 4 was a huge step forward in gameplay though. The exploration parts were astonishingly well-made, whereas the previous games felt a bit platformy at parts. The graphics are the best you can find in consoles, with only a handful of PC games looking better. Still, I would have wanted to see a bit more variety in the locations in the second half of the game (the first half was fine).

My opinion for UC4 compared to the other Uncharted Games:

Gameplay: UC4>UC2>UC3>UC1
Story: UC2>UC1>UC3>UC4
Location variety/ Art Direction: UC3>UC2>UC4>UC1
Graphics: UC4>UC3>UC2>UC1 (no shit, I know...)

I'm actually glad if that's the case.
The supernatural elements in the previous games always fell flat for me

You don't need to but you're doing a disservice to your gaming life for not having played U2 lol, and missing out on U1-U3 means you will not be as attached to the characters and references in this game. But the game's story is cleanly isolated and you can enjoy the gameplay and story for what it is on its own.

But hopefully if you only play U4 that you're inspired to pick up the Uncharted Collection and play the others. They're great games and give context for U4.

It would be a grave mistake to miss out on the previous 3 games and just jump into 4 cold. You might still enjoy 4 regardless but I'll go so far as to say that you objectively will not enjoy it as much as you would if you had played the others.

Personally, there is absolutely no way I would be enjoying this game as much as I am if I had skipped the previous games. I really, really, REALLY think you should play the Nathan Drake Collection before going through Uncharted 4.

No but worth watching these short recaps. Playing the previous games will give you greater appreciation though. A lot of callbacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfNLr5Iqaes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOWbf95fcLU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RDCYJmfdqs

Wow! Thanks for the responses!

Guess I'm going to have to make a decision on how I'm going to tackle this. I appreciate the feedback everyone!

Gaz_RB

Its probably been mentioned before, but the photocopy of a forum topic printout Sam hands over about the auction is a full on NeoGAF nod right? Even had OT in the topic title.

also holy fucking shit, this game is astounding.

So is a certain logo on the side of a certain jeep.

Riozaki

Banned
Shooting isn't the opposite of adventure. In fact, for how good the combat is and how MUCH aimless open level crate-on-wheels partner boosting boringness is in this game, I think more combat in the middle-to-late chapters could have made it feel even more adventurous.

Yeah, totally agree. I wish if there are more encounters beacuse the stealth and shooting in this game is really really good and I hope they made us play with it more.

If anyone from ND reading this, please make the DLC have more encouters but at the same time make some sections slow and just walking and talking.

I think the perfect blance is The Last of Us, where you had a lot of enemies and also have a lot of slow sections.

However, I think Uncharted 4 is the best in the series along with Uncharted 2 ( because of the huge set pieces in that one ).

I just finished it... damn fine job, fantastic game. I still think the UC series isn't all that great when it comes to actual gameplay, but holy shit, what a ride.

Also, looking at the credits, do we have any idea how much UC4 cost to make? I think I saw like 20 outsource studios, so at this point, it feels a bit weird to only praise Naughty Dog, since they probably had more people from the outside working on it than from the inside.

The one thing that these kinda games just don't have is player retention. Games like Dark Souls you can beat numerous times and keep playing, with games like UC or really any of these 'Hollywood-games', I never really want to go back in and play it again.

joanot

This game omg !! Not only lives up to the hype, it has exceeded my expectations... and the bso... wow, is totally on point, is perfect, to think I was a little worried about it after hearing some people complaining...

It was brilliant. Finished it.

Easily the best playing Uncharted, with the best game design. So much variety in my opinion. I've heard people complain about how much 'move the box to platform' there is in the game, but this game has the best puzzles and so much variety in game design outside of that, I can only assume those bits stand out more to them. By that I mean, I got huge Left Behind vibes more than once. Shooting/melee combo feels stunning, melee specifically. Once again like Last of Us, I feel like the game never even offers me ENOUGH of the ridiculous giant shootout arenas I desire to use all the abilities. Occasionally some of the controls bothered me a bit. I felt like buttons don't always respond to get into cover in addition to the melee (specifically if you're standing on top of some cover and someone is below you, I found Nate swinging punches at the air, rather than doing a kick to the face like he used to - while I'm being shot to Emmental). But other than that it's the best feeling Uncharted.

Story was great, superb characters I was intrigued all along really. I can see people liking Sam now, I didn't expect to like him that much. Superb villains, I'd love to have seen more of them. I'd say occasionally the tone felt a little too adult for Uncharted. It was a lot less happy-go-lucky in the back end - I could go into specifics about when, but I don't want to spoil. And the very last scene you see was the complete opposite problem, too saccharin for my tastes, but it was at least well executed.

Graphics deserve, you know, a little nod. I think it's testament to the guys who work on the art, the rendering/graphics coders that time and time again they do so well. I dunno, they're always at the top of the game. And this is also by far the best animated Uncharted. Animations in this are beautiful. Climbing and melee especially.

The sound is the real loser here, the audio mixing is bad. To the extent I was wondering if it was my TV, because no one else had complained. Switched to earphones and found it wasn't my TV. The soundtrack is not very Uncharted, it's very monotonous and lacks tonal variety. And when it's (rarely) used in game, it's too quiet and often at odds with the light-hearted direction of acting, because it's all so moody.

I need to go through and play it again to have more informed opinion. I needed to rush through it first time to avoid spoilers, but I am so ready to go again. I love it.

Weird to see that the ricebags in the market place got downgraded from the videos. Shooting holes in them no longer made the rice pour out :(

Only the trucks bullets then I guess, because they did for me.

Top Bottom