• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Tizoc

I am
Ch. 12 At Sea
how do I solve the
light and sphere puzzle?

This game would've been a heck of a lot better without the gunfighting :V

Piggus

My expectations for this game were basically unrealistically high and yet it still managed to exceed them in almost every way. Amazing.

I did have one hard lockup last night that forced me to unplug my PS4 in order to restart it. Hopefully that was just a fluke.

The Lamp

I am
Ch. 12 At Sea
how do I solve the
light and sphere puzzle?

This game would've been a heck of a lot better without the gunfighting :V

move the spheres that you need to rotate to the orbital positions that let you do so, while keeping the spheres you don't want to rotate away from those orbital positions

Kuro

How difficult is Crushing mode really? Is there crazy grenade spam?
I'm already experiencing smash bros sudden death in hard mode. Doesn't help most cover can get blown up so then you die as soon as that's gone. I cant even imagine how frustrating crushing has got to be. I'm recording all these ridiculous deaths just to show off. Theres a point where I'm just minding my own business climbing up a cliff where all of a sudden I get instant RPG'd when I reach the top.

rdytoroll

I'm already experiencing smash bros sudden death in hard mode. Doesn't help most cover can get blown up so then you die as soon as that's gone. I cant even imagine how frustrating crushing has got to be. I'm recording all these ridiculous deaths just to show off. Theres a point where I'm just minding my own business climbing up a cliff where all of a sudden I get instant RPG'd when I reach the top.

Lol, that sounds kinda fun though. The dying animations and reactions in this game are hilarious. I played on moderate and it was the perfect challenge imo. Never got frustrating. Might try crushing just for the heck of it

Edit: Post under me speaks the truth. Couldn't have said it better

Slaythe

Yeah, totally agree. I wish if there are more encounters beacuse the stealth and shooting in this game is really really good and I hope they made us play with it more.

If anyone from ND reading this, please make the DLC have more encouters but at the same time make some sections slow and just walking and talking.

I think the perfect blance is The Last of Us, where you had a lot of enemies and also have a lot of slow sections.

However, I think Uncharted 4 is the best in the series along with Uncharted 2 ( because of the huge set pieces in that one ).

NO way in hell. The Last of US had some horribly dragged action parts.

Too much action ruins it man. Here the story feels pretty organic. You don't expect the enemies to magically find their way through all the time in every location you visit like past games.

I honestly think that for the sake of the narration, the pacing is perfect as it is.
Maybe have one or two dedicated chapters to action, but even then, I think it could hurt the game overall.

What makes it so good is that the fights leave you wanting more. Before it was like "is this over soon or what ?"
Getting bored of encounters is the worst thing that can happen, and they fixed the biggest issue the series had with this one.

I understand the combat is really good and it feels like you might not be able to use it much, but you can replay "encounters" from the menu, on harder difficulties, and that makes it fairly ok in the end. If you want your video game fun you can use that. For the sake of interactive story telling, I don't think having enemies popping all the time would be good.

Uncharted 4 felt so refreshing because I expected non stop action, and I got a full fledged adventure, that had the balls to slow things down.

Looking for optional cutscenes and talks was also a blast that made the game feel like all its aspects were working with one another, it was very organic.

It's kinda comparable to how adventure movies work, when they rely on action too much it gets old quick, if they set up characters, world, and then mind blowing action sporadically, it's a perfect mix, and UC4 nails the pacing IMO.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
After a few hours, Chapter 6 at least, this really has to be the slowest burn of an opening these guys have ever done. I feel like other than being blown away by the acting and environments I haven't been given anything remotely interesting to do. I have a feeling repeat playthroughs will really make this opening chunk stick out like a sore thumb.

jett

D-Member
A lot of the game reminds me of Sands of Time in a lot of ways, so you're not alone

Well, they lifted the platforming from SoT in Uncharted 1 and that shit has more or less remained the same, mechanically and visually.. Drake still shimmies and climbs ledges as if he had superhuman upper body strength.

Lingitiz

Chapter 15 just shows what a massive leap this game's level design and combat loop is above the past games. Previous games would have smaller arena sized environments but you weren't encouraged to take advantage of Nate's mobility.

Having encounters start in stealth and making it possible for Nate to slide back into stealth after being discovered in huge. All past Uncharted games make it so that enemies have a laser focus on you with precision accuracy funneling towards you, and as such you couldn't really move around without getting immediately slaughtered. I say this coming fresh off of a UC2 playthrough on crushing.

Man this game is amazing, on a technical level there's stuff being done that blows my mind. A lot of work (and money) clearly went into this.

Just reached Chapter 12, around 7.5-8 hours in. How long would you guys say this game is? Just curious.

Tizoc

Solid 6.5/10.

Entertaining, like the story theme, gameplay was really lackluster as expected. It's 50% climbing and getting to use your boring rope every once in a while. What's even the point of using other weapons other than the AK-47 and that other rifle with a lot of ammo? Lower ammo and, with the exception of the RPG, you gain nothing in the environment from them.

Highlights: amazing looking environments, story theme, and
getting to play a Crash level twice.

Actual gameplay really hurts this series, imo. Tomb Raider reboot is significantly superior.

Well like I wrote the game is better when there's not gunfighting.
TR Reboot ain't got a candle to OG Tomb Raider games though, but the nu series has dat Bow and Arrow, although it's kinda he only good thing about it :V

Now if I could fling arrows at people's faces in UC4, it would've been a more fun game.

Man this game is amazing, on a technical level there's stuff being done that blows my mind. A lot of work (and money) clearly went into this.

Just reached Chapter 12, around 7.5-8 hours in. How long would you guys say this game is? Just curious.

Its 22 chapters, so you can find the game lenth varies between 14-20 hours.

Tizoc

move the spheres that you need to rotate to the orbital positions that let you do so, while keeping the spheres you don't want to rotate away from those orbital positions

But
the first 2 spheres seem to want me to make an M like symbol which I do but when I move it to the light nothing happens.

Just finished the extended E3 2015 demo part

I'm absolutely blown away. The height of cinematic mastery right there.

Combined the best of the convoys from UC2 and UC3 and truck attack from UC2 into one sublime package.

So glad I didn't watch the demo and experienced this Virgin FreshTM

Elitist1945

Holy shit, 100 deaths!? Why didn't you turn down the difficulty?

I really wanted to complete it on Hard. A lot of of deaths were from
boss fights
- I'm just terrible at them.

Weirdly enough though, I played the other Uncharted's on Hard too and I never went above 50 deaths in those.

mrqs

Oh man, it's so harsh to be disappointed.

It's a good game. A great game. Don't get me wrong, but i loved so much The Last of Us and Uncharted 4 is just not as tight story wise.

I had many problems with the game, but enjoyed it. It won't just be reminded by me as an masterpiece in the same level as The Last of Us, it's way better than 1~2~3, but not as well crafted.

RDreamer

Man I cant decide whether I'm disappointed or not, Abviously uncharted 4 is a great game worthy of all the praise it gets but its not the Uncharted sequel I wanted. To me Uncharted has always been a shooter with light puzzle and platforming sections for downbeat moments but this one is exact opposite.

Yeah, so far the shooting segments have kind of disappointed me. I love what they did with the platforming and I actually love everything else. I personally think the shooting stuff so far has lost that uncharted feel. It feels unbalanced now with the addition of stealth.

I feel like I have to use stealth to take out a lot of the enemy, and then when the firefight begins it feels really badly designed compared to some of the arenas in the past. It's like the second someone finds you after you shoot them or something suddenly you've got about 15 guys shooting you at the same time. It's too much. They balanced it thinking you had to take down a bunch before alerting someone.

So far the best shooting parts were (early-ish spoilers):
the parts in and after the auction house
because that didn't use the stealth mechanic at all. It felt incredibly satisfying. The rest outside hasn't...

Chase17

Wonder how long the wait until the SP DLC will be. Left Behind was about 7 months after right? Wonder if it will be a similar timeframe.

Tainted

I got done in 12 hours. It was on the difficulty below crushing

Jeez....I finished it in 17 hours and that was on moderate and aim assist on (Yes, I suck at controller aiming). It's hard for me to imagine how people can shave 5 hours off from that esp at a higher difficulty.

Granted I was roaming around a bit semi looking for collectibles, but even if I didn't I dont think I could have shaved that much time off.

iratA

So I'm nearly done... I think? Put about 16 Hours in so far (lots of slow pans) I will post my full impressions later, however I just want to ask this; how the hell did Naughty Dog sneak a PS5 into my PS4? What I mean is, I know what the PS4 is capable of and this is clearly beyond the PS4's capability. Naughty Dog's got some crazy Himmler level shit going on over in that studio of theirs and you know what gets me the most? Think about the future works from this studio for a second. Naughty Dog never release a game that isn't at least up to the standards of their previous games...... No seriously just let that sink in for a moment!

This is the new gold standard going forward and to think this is the level of polish and detail we can expect from them from now on. I mean I've been a fan of theirs for a long loooong time and I had high expectations for this game. How they have continuously surpassed them with this entry is beyond me. This is Naughty Dog's best work, make no mistake.

Congrats ND, forever a fan

Arnie7

Banned
Chapter 3:

Oh wow. Nice controls. The graphics are mind blowing when
you lift out of the river
. Just wow.

Chapter 4:

Tears. Just nerdy tears. One of the best written and most endearing video game moments.
Literally yelped out loud when I saw Crash!

Having lots of problems with the
last fight? Sword fighting with Rafe. Either the controls are a mess or I'm not doing it right, there's a lot of times that I miss a block where I believe I was pushing the right button. The whole thing seems a bit messy. Any tips?. I'm playing on hard.

BroBot

Let's be honest here. The reaction from Sam and Sully whenever Nate
drives the car off the cliff
is amazing lol

Going to try this.

last fight? Sword fighting with Rafe. Either the controls are a mess or I'm not doing it right, there's a lot of times that I miss a block where I believe I was pushing the right button. The whole thing seems a bit messy. Any tips?. I'm playing on hard.

I became desperate and started
hitting the Triangle and Circle buttons at the same time. It worked a few times.

Elitist1945

I'm having issues with this too. I'm thinking
I'll just get my friend to do it for me because I've failed it like 20 times already lol.

iratA

Chapter 3:

Tears. Just nerdy tears. One of the best written and most endearing video game moments.
Literally yelped out loud when I saw Crash!

Hahaha sounds like my reaction to a tee! OH man if your loving it now, just wait this is one of those gems that just keeps getting better and better as you go along.

Anung

Un Rama
Launch PS4 sounds like jet engine and I've had my second hard crash since I've started. This game is just too strong.

Top Bottom