• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

SSReborn

Sorry to poke the hive a bit with that statement. The first 3 Uncharted games are some of my favorites of all time and I still see this one getting there, too. As I said in this post here:

The shooting isn't really jiving with me as much. I think it's a combination of the stealth really not being what I want in this game and then the game not really putting enough shooting segments to get you warmed up to it. Suddenly it's just balls to the wall. On top of that, as I said just before, it really does feel like they just fucking threw everything into this massive space and said fuck it. There's no real 'puzzle' to it like there had been before. A lot of the shooting galleries in 1, 2, and 3 felt very deliberately designed. Every wave made sense and was a thrill to get through. Here one foul move in stealth and it's like there are way too many guys coming after you and there's no real good spots to go to. You're getting bombarded with a fucking rocket launcher, two snipers, and a grenade every 2 seconds. I feel too much like this is rewarding run and gun style and the only real recourse I have is to shotgun while doing that instead of feeling really smart and pacing myself out through the level somehow like I did in previous games.

And I just did a pure shooting sequence in Chapter 10 that gave me a lot of trouble, too. This is outside the stealth which obviously wasn't available:
It's the segment right at the end of Madagascar. You're in this tiny ass space and they just drop like 2 shotgunners and 4 others on to of you and there's just nowhere to go. It felt really poorly designed and to make matters worse it saved during the second wave and had Nathan get hit with an explosion every freaking time I died and had to restart. Explosion and about 2 gunshots putting him about 1 gunshot from death every time I retried...
You're not exactly wrong (though I disagree with the enemies just being thrown in with no thought part) but I think this has a bit to do with difficulty (guessing you're playing on hard) and the fact there isn't really a "safe place" anymore due to the aggressiveness of the AI. Seems they want you to keep moving.

MattyG

Banned
Hopefully not
Cassie
, i want that to be a full series on its own.
I feel like that would be weird
seeing as how the whole theme of this game was how bad it can be for someone and their relationships. It'd be kind of odd to go from "Nate needs to stop what he's doing for his and his loved ones' sake" to "FUCK YEAH, now his daughter's following in his footsteps!" I mean, I guess you could go for the "he tried to talk her out of it but she went for it anyway" angle, but I think it'd be hard to do.

JTripper

Can't stop thinking about this game right now. I feel a profound sense of emptiness and/or loss :(

Wish it lasted double as long

What do people think the SP dlc will be?

I've noticed some posts criticizing how the game's ending is long and keeps going once you think it's actually over but I think that was a conscious decision and I loved it, since I didn't want it to end either so once another scene started I felt happy not feeling forced to leave these characters just yet.

As for the potential DLC, it could be
literally anything haha, which is an accomplishment that this ending impressively achieves. It could be Nate and Elena during an excavation with their new company, it could be Sully and Sam buddy adventure, it could be Cassie's first adventure (which is probably the most far off and won't happen). So many possibilities.

Can't stop thinking about this game right now. I feel a profound sense of emptiness and/or loss :(

Fishing trip as Cassie?

I think it will be the Malaysia job. They'll get attacked by bandits/rebels/whatever and then Nate does what he has to do.

Sam and Sully's adventure is for future full games made by another studio.

Just spent like an hour just doing this, lol.
uncharted4dive_1_by_xbulletz-da29k4s.gif

<3

BroBot

Having lots of problems with the
last fight? Sword fighting with Rafe. Either the controls are a mess or I'm not doing it right, there's a lot of times that I miss a block where I believe I was pushing the right button. The whole thing seems a bit messy. Any tips?. I'm playing on hard.

The mission that Chloe mentioned in her letter (Chapter 4). But I think Nate will hand it to Sam instead. So maybe it'll be Sam, Sully and Chloe.

Chase17

Did anyone else think that their
motion controls weren't working in that segment? Feel like that was almost intentional to get the player to think so. I might have missed some chatter during that part though.

JTripper

The mission that Chloe mentioned in her letter (Chapter 4). But I think Nate will hand it to Sam instead. So maybe it'll be Sam, Sully and Chloe.

Ohhhhhh shit
I totally forgot about that note from Chloe. I'd love to see her in dlc. Yes!

seeing as how the whole theme of this game was how bad it can be for someone and their relationships. It'd be kind of odd to go from "Nate needs to stop what he's doing for his and his loved ones' sake" to "FUCK YEAH, now his daughter's following in his footsteps!" I mean, I guess you could go for the "he tried to talk her out of it but she went for it anyway" angle, but I think it'd be hard to do.

Huh i really felt the conclusion was obviously
"We need the adventure, its part of who we are"....That epilogue wasn't worth while, if thats not where the franchise is heading.
Related to this, i love elana's arc in this so much.

But they're doing it the legal way now.

Woodchipper

Goddamn, working night shifts now is painfull as fuck. I think I have to stay up and play the next chapter when I get home, or else I won't be able to sleep anyway. I'm constantly thinking about the game!

Sweet jesus this game is beautiful to look at. That Crash moment made me literally scream and I had a few tears of joy. Also, the attic 'attack' scene lmao. Scotland boring so far.

MattyG

Banned
Huh i really felt the conclusion was obviously
"We need the adventure, its part of who we are"....That epilogue wasn't worth while, if thats not where the franchise is heading.
Related to this, i love elana's arc in this so much.
It feels like that's what the epilogue could've been saying if it were in a vacuum, but following all the things that happened before it I feel like it'd kind of undermine a large part of the story and themes of 4. But that's just me imagining how it'd be in my mind. I'm sure they could go that direction and once I'd seen it I'd eat it up.

As for "where the franchise is headed"... I kind of hope this is it. That felt like such a perfect and definitive ending that I'm not sure I want another one, even with a different main character, because it just wouldn't feel right. I almost feel like the even DLC is going to feel weird if it involves Nate and is set anytime after the last chapter.

But they're doing it the legal way now.
True, but
it's hard to have half the shenanigans and situations that happened in 1-4 when you're doing things "the legal way" :p

I'm not really feeling these emotional scenes. I just cant find myself caring for Nate because he's too damn happy all the time. It's weird to see him upset or live a normal life when he kills a bunch of people and causes destruction in third world countries

Im happy ND is done with uncharted. I think the storytelling and emotional impact of Last of Us is much better, and I cant wait to see what savage starlight will be like

I like the "summer blockbuster" Uncharted games, but dont care at all about them trying to tell an emotional story or add in relationship drama.

And Im annoyed at how lucky Drake is and how he solves everything matter of factly, and how grand these mechanisms built by Avery are.

Though I loved the clock tower. Such a perfect level for this kind of game

I also am astonished that these elaborate secret chambers he finds are LIT WITH TORCHES! I mean...how is this not even mentioned

Just finished chapter 18. I'm really not sure what to make of this, there just isn't enough "game" for me to sink my teeth in to. The story is great, the environments are stunning, but i'd never want play through it all a second time. I think TLOU is a vastly better game.

RDreamer

You're not exactly wrong (though I disagree with the enemies just being thrown in with no thought part) but I think this has a bit to do with difficulty (guessing you're playing on hard) and the fact there isn't really a "safe place" anymore due to the aggressiveness of the AI. Seems they want you to keep moving.

Wanting me to keep moving is good, I just feel like the balance and pacing of it are fucking ridiculous so far. I was moving and grabbing different cover spots in previous games. In this one it feels like I can't even stay in cover for about a second. It feels like run and gun is what you have to do and only get in cover to heal, if you can even do that. They throw way too much at you all at once.

And yeah I am on hard, but I'm one who's completed every other Uncharted on Crushing and after the first one I've always started on hard.

antitrop

I think the stealth is pretty great, I just wish you could whistle, throw rocks, or knock against walls to lure enemies over to you.

_Ryo_

Now ND is screwing with us? Fuck you ND, FUCK YOU!

I'm talking about the Crash Bandicoot minigame.

Notice if you compare the crash segment with the original game it looks and plays a bit differently, different geometry, different animations, different UI, so Its not emulated but is instead made entirely from the ground up. Also Activision isnt anywhere to be seen in the credits, at all. Take that for what you will.

RDreamer

I think the stealth is pretty great, I just wish you could whistle, throw rocks, or knock against walls to lure enemies over to you.

This is the other problem with throwing stealth in there and expecting it to be used. I feel like it doesn't give me the tools that TLOU or Metal Gear have done in the past, so I feel like I have to use it but don't really want to because it isn't fully there.

I'm not really feeling these emotional scenes. I just cant find myself caring for Nate because he's too damn happy all the time. It's weird to see him upset or live a normal life when he kills a bunch of people and causes destruction in third world countries

Im happy ND is done with uncharted. I think the storytelling and emotional impact of Last of Us is much better, and I cant wait to see what savage starlight will be like

I like the "summer blockbuster" Uncharted games, but dont care at all about them trying to tell an emotional story or add in relationship drama.

And Im annoyed at how lucky Drake is and how he solves everything matter of factly, and how grand these mechanisms built by Avery are.

Though I loved the clock tower. Such a perfect level for this kind of game

I also am astonished that these elaborate secret chambers he finds are LIT WITH TORCHES! I mean...how is this not even mentioned

Why so serious gif. Sometimes you just gotta remember, it's a game.

Beat the game. Best in the series in every way... however I preferred the story and locations of 2 and 3. Still need time to digest it.

Random thoughts:

Was it just me or were the quips/jokes not as funny?

I hope one day we learn more about Hennig's version, I wonder if I would have liked that one more?

Epilogue spoilers:
Also I hate epilogues that travel far into the future. They always make me sad :(

"The enemy team is favored to win the match."

No shit I've already lost like 10 in a row since you've been saying that. What the fuck is up with people not reviving in this game I can be right next to someone downed and get completely ignored. Not to mention the people who try to go one man army and get destroyed the entire match.

Also what gun is everyone using online? I'm using the ak until I get a hero one. It seems like I get downed in like 5 bullets from everyone else but mine is shooting pellets or something.
Quoting for new page

Chase17

"The enemy team is favored to win the match."

No shit I've already lost like 10 in a row since you've been saying that. What the fuck is up with people not reviving in this game I can be right next to someone downed and get completely ignored. Not to mention the people who try to go one man army and get destroyed the entire match.

Also what gun is everyone using online? I'm using the ak until I get a hero one. It seems like I get downed in like 5 bullets from everyone else but mine is shooting pellets or something.

I've only played a bit of multiplayer but the FAL has worked pretty well for me. Like to just run up with the charged hook too although that backfires often.

Why so serious gif. Sometimes you just gotta remember, it's a game.

ND is the one trying to push a more personal story. I just dont find myself caring at all about Nate's woes. He just isnt a character I find myself caring about, because he always comes off as happy and he gets out of everything. I guess he's just been doing this for too long. I cant even buy this idea that he's "out of the game" because he functions as well as ever, destroying armies and surviving the most scariest stuff with a smile on his face

To see someone like elena worry about him just makes me feel...nothing

Quick impression:

Just got through
Scotland and a little bit into Madascar
and the game has picked up nicely from the opening chapters. I think the constant location hopping and multiple tutorials hurt the pacing of the game. In my opinion they should have made the
the young drake
part a lot shorter or made it a cutscene because it's basically a tutorial plat forming section followed by another tutorial section. That would have helped replays a lot more.

Just got to chapter 16. Game is good but I hope there will be more action in the following chapters. Also, am I close to the end? Feel like game will end pretty soon.

Chase17

Just looked through the trophy list now that I've completed the game. Seems like the platinum will be much more difficult then U3 (excluding MP trophies). I'm terrible at stealth so that may be a major hold up.

PowderedToast

Beat the game. Best in the series in every way... however I preferred the story and locations of 2 and 3. Still need time to digest it.

Random thoughts:

Was it just me or were the quips/jokes not as funny?

I hope one day we learn more about Hennig's version, I wonder if I would have liked that one more?

Epilogue spoilers:
Also I hate epilogues that travel far into the future. They always make me sad :(
yep, it's not as funny. purely speculation but I believe hennig's U4 wouldve been more pulpy and sexed up. druckmann does drama and characterisation quite well but there's moments in this game where he lays it on pretty thick. definitely worse written than tlou, but he had a lot of baggage to deal with.

Uncharted 4 is one of those rare games that you don't want to come to an end. When I was close to the ending, I was like, "just a little more". Last time this happened was with The Witcher 3.

I love these characters, I love their stories, and I fucking love the ending.

Sorry to poke the hive a bit with that statement. The first 3 Uncharted games are some of my favorites of all time and I still see this one getting there, too. As I said in this post here:

The shooting isn't really jiving with me as much. I think it's a combination of the stealth really not being what I want in this game and then the game not really putting enough shooting segments to get you warmed up to it. Suddenly it's just balls to the wall. On top of that, as I said just before, it really does feel like they just fucking threw everything into this massive space and said fuck it. There's no real 'puzzle' to it like there had been before. A lot of the shooting galleries in 1, 2, and 3 felt very deliberately designed. Every wave made sense and was a thrill to get through. Here one foul move in stealth and it's like there are way too many guys coming after you and there's no real good spots to go to. You're getting bombarded with a fucking rocket launcher, two snipers, and a grenade every 2 seconds. I feel too much like this is rewarding run and gun style and the only real recourse I have is to shotgun while doing that instead of feeling really smart and pacing myself out through the level somehow like I did in previous games.

And I just did a pure shooting sequence in Chapter 10 that gave me a lot of trouble, too. This is outside the stealth which obviously wasn't available:
It's the segment right at the end of Madagascar. You're in this tiny ass space and they just drop like 2 shotgunners and 4 others on to of you and there's just nowhere to go. It felt really poorly designed and to make matters worse it saved during the second wave and had Nathan get hit with an explosion every freaking time I died and had to restart. Explosion and about 2 gunshots putting him about 1 gunshot from death every time I retried...

Yeah this game is designed very strangely. Personally I think the stealth areas are very well designed, so many paths and ways to move. But I do miss the specifically designed action sections. The majority of U4s encounters are a bunch of guys standing around letting you create a momenys. That is a huge contrast to past games were enemies and situations were specifically designed to so the developers created the moment. That big disctinction allows for better variety in every encounter, U2 in particular is constantly switching things up so every moment feels fresh.

That combined with the constant stops in action and the fewer big setpieces is why U4 isn't as good as U2 for me.

e_i

Notice if you compare the crash segment with the original game it looks and plays a bit differently, different geometry, different animations, different UI, so Its not emulated but is instead made entirely from the ground up. Also Activision isnt anywhere to be seen in the credits, at all. Take that for what you will.

I guess it is coming then.

Reebot

Just beat it. Fun times, but with some real problems as well.

A lot of the story confuses petty arguing for satisfying drama, and the second act drags on and on with little drive. The ending chunk works well, but almost every scenario is extremely contrived, leading to a lot of eye rolling moments. Naughty Dog are also poor visual storytellers; almost every cutscene has bad blocking, framing, and editing - especially the editing. Nothing kills the flow of dialogue quite like shot-reverse-shot cutting on each line.

Fortunately the story is skippable, very much not the real focus, and the spectacle often makes up for it.

Shooting feels great but Nate handles too sluggishly for the type of encounters this game seems to want. Sharper, tactical control would serve a lot better than the current animations, beautiful as they are. That, or more small-scale claustrophobic fights - one sequence towards the end capitalized on this, and worked very well. The scripted set-pieces are as thrilling as ever and continue to be a real highlight.

Overall a fine game. I'd give it a solid B+.

Just finished the game. Such a amazing ride, from start to finish. Didn't want it to end, and would have played for hundred of hours still. Loved the ending.

Chapters 20 to 22 were bat shit crazy and what about that end boss?! So awesome!

Top Bottom