• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

SomTervo

so i'm guessing the whole direction that the reveal trailer for this game had, with sam resenting drake for abandoning him in that prison was amy henning's direction?

reveal trailer here

the story must have changed drastically from what they were doing at first

Good lord, you're right.

I forgot about that really sinister voice over in the original trailer.

The Lamp

Finished it yesterday and i've had some time to digest... This game just doesn't work for me, i think it's a disappointment.

Sticky cover, box puzzles, linear climbing, stealth grass, explosive barrels... U4 feels like such a regression from TLOU. I've replayed U2 half a dozen times, i've beaten TLOU at least 4 times, but i never want to go back through U4, there just isn't enough game to sink my teeth into.

This game has serious passing issues. I don't mind puzzles, i don't mind platforming, but when both those elements are brain-dead easy, you probably shouldn't let them take up 70% of your game. Then there's combat... when i died in TLOU i felt eager to get back to the checkpoint and try things differently, when i die in U4 i mostly just feel frustrated. The gunplay usually feels fluid and fast, but the enemy encounters are so few and far between that i never really got in to a good rhythm with it.

I still enjoyed playing through it all, i just wish it had a little more gameplay depth.

I guess it doesn't surprise me that some people feel this way. I kinda do too but I'm liking it a lot more upon replay because you can fly through the obscenely boring open exploration sections of the game.

The more I think about the platforming itself, though, the more disappointed I am. There's nothing here that is as grandiose and complicated to navigate as a ruin or temple from Uncharted 2 like the ice cave temples. This makes the platforming level design feel small and simple in scale to previous games at times, although the rope and piton mechanic help make it feel a little bit more fresh.

AngryMoth

Beat the game last night at 14 hours. Some thoughts…

Good stuff
- Unbelievable visuals, head and shoulders above anything else I’ve played on ps4
- Best story in the series, great characterisation, compelling mystery and a satisfying ending
- The flow of combat is really great and they give you so many options. I felt encouraged to combine the stealth, shooting and melee together and that helps the combat sections feel intense and they don’t drag like was the case sometimes in previous games.
- The set piece in chapter 11 is the best in the series, simply incredible.

Not so good stuff stuff
- The pacing is generally too slow for my tastes. Especially in the first half of the game there are platforming and puzzle sections that go on for too long.
- I appreciate that the game is less combat focused but ends up too much weight on the platforming mechanics which really don’t have enough to them. The rope and spike were good additions but far too much of the platforming is just mashing x to climb up walls with no sort of challenge or brain power required. I know it’s a difficult design challenge but I wish they could have found some way to make this part of the game more engaging.
- Puzzles were cool in design but like the platforming they require so little effort to solve that they can end up feeling like chores.
- I know they do it to break up the pacing and give you some quieter moments but jesus christ who thought it was a good idea to use the “find a box and push it against a wall to climb up” puzzle what must be like 10 times over the course of the game. I was seriously rolling my eyes every time they kept going back to that well.
- Slightly disappointed there was no
supernatural twist. I know they have had mixed results with this in the past but it kind of feels like a series staple to me
- Sometimes the very linear design of the game feels a little, I don’t know, antiquated? I not one of those people that thinks everything should be open world but it’s hard to escape the feeling that it’s a little silly sometimes how there is always one and only one very convenient path for you to take through this cave, etc. A little more openness to the environments would have been appreciated, and they did give that in some sections at least.

Well, I ended up writing a lot more about the negatives but only because I find it interesting to think critically about these kind of games, and I really did enjoy my time with it it’s absolutely a great game; overall I’d probably give it 8/10.

Trying the multiplayer now and having a lot of fun. I’ve not played enough yet to give an opinion on the progression design and metagame although I am sceptical they have over designed it again like with uncharted 3, but the core gameplay is so fantastic and fun that hopefully it’ll be enough too keep me hooked.

lawtowler

Took the day off work yesterday to play all day and am currently in chapter 12. It seems the chapters are getting longer as they go on. Does this trend continue?

Also, the cutscene at the end of chapter 11 was mind blowing. It was like watching a movie, arguably better all things considered. Absolutely loving the game so far. I suppose I'm about half way so far.

I personally think there's quite a few things that look better than Witcher 3.

Uncharted 4 looks better than pretty much anything. Even than stuff like the Order, which is much more limited in scope.

Yes
Witcher 3 visuals, on any platform, although have a lot of *stuff* going on, look like a mess by comparison. A lot of clipping and all the usual issues we all have almost forgotten are always in open world games, whereas these visuals look really controlled, very tight. Almost to the pixel. On the other hand this isn't an open world game.

noomi

My wife was getting mad at me because I kept stopping the game and cutscenes just to take pictures every few minutes haha.

She seems really invested in the story :)

SomTervo

Took the day off work yesterday to play all day and am currently in chapter 12. It seems the chapters are getting longer as they go on. Does this trend continue?

Also, the cutscene at the end of chapter 11 was mind blowing. It was like watching a movie, arguably better all things considered. Absolutely loving the game so far. I suppose I'm about half way so far.

It varies. Some chapters are as long, some are quite short. The game's halfway point is probably around the end of chapter

Beat the game last night at 14 hours. Some thoughts…

Trying the multiplayer now and having a lot of fun. I’ve not played enough yet to give an option on the progression design and metagame although I am sceptical they have over designed it again like with uncharted 3, but the core gameplay is so fantastic and fun that hopefully it’ll be enough too keep me hooked.

Remember UC3 was by mainly a different team. Uncharted 4's multiplayer seems infinitely better than UC3's offering. (I still enjoyed UC3's though.)

Auctopus

If you start a new save it resets the stats.
Overwrite your save even with chapter select. It will keep your stats AND your progress. Trust me. Backup your save in case you're worried that you'll lose progress.

Riiight, okay. So, if I wanna start a Crushing playthrough but I wanna keep my Normal stats, I should just overwrite the Normal save with the Crushing playthrough?

And omg I had no idea you could go from jeep to jeep, and jeep to rope during the chase. Legit chills during this part of the set-piece even though I've had it memorized since E3.

GIF4a4998.gif

:O

SomTervo

Riiight, okay. So, if I wanna start a Crushing playthrough but I wanna keep my Normal stats, I should just overwrite the Normal save with the Crushing playthrough?

Yep.

It's pretty stupid how it works.

I really loved poking around
the ruined city with Sam. Great character bonding moment. Reminds me of the Last of Us DLC.

Did you do the
"Sit and have a drink"
optional scene? That was fucking great.

Twookie

Completed the game yesterday, clocking in about 12hr30min not looking for treasures or hidden stuff at all.

man what a good looking game, never seen anything like it. I would've thought it was cg, but some of the cutscenes had some texture pop in that took me back to reality that this is indeed realtime

now i am bummed that we won't get to experience more nathan drake, elena and sully :(

really enjoyed the game, not quite sure where I would put it compared to the rest of the UC's just yet

- Slightly disappointed there was no
supernatural twist. I know they have had mixed results with this in the past but it kind of feels like a series staple to me

haha came into the thread to post exactly this. I was waiting for something
supernatural
to happen all game!

usp84

I suck at this game.Every encounter i try to go stealth but i am always noticed and then i die.Every single encounter so far(chapter 9 i think).I died at least 15 times in
Scotland first large encounter
.Not even in the hardest boss in Dark Souls 3 did i die so much.

I play on Hard and i don't want to go to Moderate diffculty.I need some tips or something

The more I think about the platforming itself, though, the more disappointed I am. There's nothing here that is as grandiose and complicated to navigate as a ruin or temple from Uncharted 2 like the ice cave temples. This makes the platforming level design feel small and simple in scale to previous games at times, although the rope and piton mechanic help make it feel a little bit more fresh.

I'm only on chapter 8 but the platforming is way better. The stuff with the sliding and rope throwing, plus weightier and more freeform climbing is great. This chapter reminds me quite a bit of the ice caves in 2 which is one of my favorite parts of the series

The Lamp

I'm only on chapter 8 but the platforming is way better. The stuff with the sliding and rope throwing, plus weightier and more freeform climbing is great. This chapter reminds me quite a bit of the ice caves in 2 which is one of my favorite parts of the series

I guess I should correct myself. I meant in terms of platforming used for puzzle solving. The largest section of platform puzzle solving is in Chapter
idk with the clock tower, which was neat but nothing on the scale of Shambala or Nepal
The traversal itself is more advanced because of the rope and piton, which is nice (although the piton is pointless itself. it was created to make an extra step/button press in your leaps, as if that was even needed).

Nate I think I've found something that could work ...a fucking box with wheels every time.

Honestly they might aswell, turn the screen black and pop up big white text saying " We are now stalling the pace of the game, because we think if we bore you now, you will appreciate the exciting bits more!".

Slaythe

I suck at this game.Every encounter i try to go stealth but i am always noticed and then i die.Every single encounter so far(chapter 9 i think).I died at least 15 times in
Scotland first large encounter
.Not even in the hardest boss in Dark Souls 3 did i die so much.

I play on Hard and i don't want to go to Moderate diffculty.I need some tips or something

I think you should play first on moderate. It's the best to get the hang of the gameplay. Otherwise if you struggle too much, the pacing suffers from that. On moderate it will be perfect.

Also, if you have issues now, it will be hell later on. Go moderate bro. you ll have a blast.

-Amon-

Up to chapter

Last 3 hours have been truly spectacular. Game has speeded up a lot, both in narration and action.

I'm in awe :)

Uncharted 4, the more I play you, the more I think of you, the more I appreciate just how good you are. 1, 2, 3... you have moments of greatness, but 4 brings out the Nateness, and I just can't get enough of this game.

Slaythe

Those stupid design equal to 20 minutes of downtime through the whole game that is hours long.

I think you are blowing this out of proportion .

usp84

I think you should play first on moderate. It's the best to get the hang of the gameplay. Otherwise if you struggle too much, the pacing suffers from that. On moderate it will be perfect.

Also, if you have issues now, it will be hell later on. Go moderate bro. you ll have a blast.

I will try that. It's not fun dying so many times like this

Best "little" moment so far was in chapter
. You can find the
bar in Libertalia and then sit down and chat with Sam about what life would've been if they weren't treasure hunters.

MMMMMMMH! Best characters in video games period. I mean every character, not just these two. The mocap in this game is phenomenal especially during the scene in Chapter
where
Elena is in the motel room.
Almost better than a movie.

Gazkapop

Finished the story last night with the game clock just ticking over 13 hours.

Loved every second of it. Seems like it's quite a divisive topic but I personally thought that the pacing was spot on. Was also really pleased to see far fewer pointless combat sequences and instead having more time to explore and soak everything in.

Would definitely say that this is my favourite game in the series, even surpassing 2. Hell, I'd go as far to say that it's up in my top 5-10 games of all time purely because of the emotions that it constantly evoked from me.

daveo42

Banned
Wrapped up Chapter
eleven
last night and holy shit.
I'd had seen the entirety of that sequence prior to launch, but driving the jeep through the city, bounding over fields and jumping from jeep to jeep was exhilarating. Also how that sequence wraps. Poor Elena. C'mon son! What you doing Drake?

I wish I would have had more time to play last night as I just got to the
boating/island hopping section
and it is probably the most beautiful location I've seen so far in the game.

wapplew

Those stupid design equal to 20 minutes of downtime through the whole game that is hours long.

I think you are blowing this out of proportion .

Calling it stupid was out of proportion, maybe repetitive.
Just some nitpick, ND games do have a lot of box with wheel or push partner up, UC series, TLOU, they need to give us more variety to hide loading already.

Ktg1973

Banned
Completed the game yesterday. The best game of this generation so far and the best storyline/stortelling ever seen in a videogame (ok, at the same level of Red Dead Redemption and TLOU). So long Nate, i'll miss you.

xviper

as much as i loved the game but i still think it's repetitive, most of the game you just climb explore and talk to NPC's, the action sections are much much less than the previous games and the puzzles are too easy, loved the ending though

Imo, all scores for the previous games are good. However Jackman's is perhaps a more suitable ambience to Uncharted. It seems more dramatic, large, and, cinematic.

'A thief's end' and 'Cut to the chase' are memorable.

SomTervo

Finished the story last night with the game clock just ticking over 13 hours.

Loved every second of it. Seems like it's quite a divisive topic but I personally thought that the pacing was spot on. Was also really pleased to see far fewer pointless combat sequences and instead having more time to explore and soak everything in.

Would definitely say that this is my favourite game in the series, even surpassing 2. Hell, I'd go as far to say that it's up in my top 5-10 games of all time purely because of the emotions that it constantly evoked from me.

Re the bolded: I hope Ken Levine takes notes here. It's clear that Naughty Dog decided not to shoehorn in any combat in this game and not to shoehorn in any collectibles.

- combat encounters happen when it makes sense for them to happen. Never at any other time. Honestly: I'm disappointed there isn't more combat, but it was fucking bold to have so little combat in the game, and shows serious integrity to not shoehorn it in everywhere

- treasures are only lying where it makes sense for them to lie. Some of them are really hard to find and they're always in places where the context would make sense. Not just placed in quirky places willy nilly.

Amazing photo I saw on Reddit:

dead

edit: FYI that's a pretty big spoiler IMO

Uncharted 4, the more I play you, the more I think of you, the more I appreciate just how good you are. 1, 2, 3... you have moments of greatness, but 4 brings out the Nateness, and I just can't get enough of this game.

God the love, I feel the love

Dave_6

I hate this stupid thing called "work"...I'm fiending for the game.

I know :( Been taking it slow anyways as my friend wants to watch the SP so I've only been playing for around 3 to 4 hours each night while he's there. It's hard to wait on the work day to pass so I can get home and start it back up. Loving it so far, this game is incredible (just finished chapter 10 last night).

Top Bottom