• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

void666

Banned
I was playing through chapter 20 when i had to call it quits last night.

So far my opinion is that uncharted 4 is a good game. But not so good as an uncharted game.
To ME uncharted is a third person shooter with some light puzzles and some climbing. It was always more gears of war than tomb raider. And the story was there but not in the way of the gameplay.

Uncharted 4 is too story driven. Too many slow paced moments. There's a chapter midway through the game
where you just walk. The same could've been achieved with a 3 minute custscene.
It's like if Michael Bay decided to turn a transformers flick into an oscar bait movie.

The combat has improved yes. Weapon handling, movement feels better. But i think these huge arenas hurt the experience. It seems i'm always being shot in the back. Enemies are very good at flanking you. And as a result my screen is black and white most of the time while i try to figure out who is shooting at me.
I don't mark enemies and i avoid stealth gameplay. Marking shouldn't even be in the game. It shouldn't be necessary. Bigger is not always better. Stealth is broken because enemy AI is stupid (moderate difficulty).

Enemy types are the same as in previous games. So far and iirc there's nothing new.
There's nothing about these new bad guys that make them stand out from previous ones.

Technically and visually uncharted 4 is a masterpice. The attention to detail is outstanding.
Uncharted 4 is a GOTY contender for sure but still i am disappointed. Uncharted 2 is still my favorite.

My ranking: UC2 > UC4 > UC3 >UC1

Auctopus

So far my opinion is that uncharted 4 is a good game. But not so good as an uncharted game.

snip

It's funny because I thought the same things but eventually I felt like UC4 is what Uncharted should've always been. Doesn't take anythign away from the original trilogy though.

mileS

are most people playing with the default control settings? I can't decide on aiming settings at all. Aim assist 1-10 feels all the same and the actual aim sensitivity feels strange when going between 3-5. I've tried going with aim assist 0 for a while but even on normal you tend to get swarmed a lot.

Quoting myself because nobody replied and this thread moves too fast sometimes.

Finished my play through earlier today, clocked up just over 14 hours.

Graphically it is stunning. Best looking game I've ever clapped eyes on.

Was really liking the game ten hours in however I didn't really feel the last quarter. Fell away from it once
elana
turns up and you spend time away from Sam.
I actively hated the final encounter with
Rafe

The combat in these games is a bit underwhelming. Doesn't have a great feel to it compared to other TPS games. A.I still has the ability to get a grenade within an inch of you from wherever they feel like throwing it similar to the other games in the series which is Bullshit.

It's not a bad game by any stretch but I'm a little disappointed after the brilliant first half. The
truck sequence
should of been saved until the end or something as bombastic should of been the climax.
Solid 8/10 game and it's much better than Quantum Break which is the other recent TPS I played. I'd probably rank it on a similar level to Rise of the Tomb Raider which again is a great looker but doesn't offer much new when comparing it to the previous fake in the series

It's funny because I thought the same things but eventually I felt like UC4 is what Uncharted should've always been. Doesn't take anythign away from the original trilogy though.

It was the direction they were going .
Each game got more story heavy and 3 had to much combat .

SomTervo

U4 really sells the idea that it's time for everyone to grow up

Do you think that might be Naughty Dog's greater theme with this game? I don't just mean for Nate's character, but for gaming as a whole.

That it's time for games to grow up?

Two lines of thought:

Graphics

I mean, we know that Druckley intentionally made Uncharted 4's set pieces less insane than in 2 and 3, because the series would become a caricature of itself. But more importantly, I was playing the game and thinking "This shit is getting less believable because it looks so real". If Uncharted 1 was 40% cartoon, Uncharted 4 is like 15% cartoon. Those ridiculous jumps and near-deaths and survived-death-traps are looking more and more real, and you can't get away from how these things look with this level of fidelity.

So, stylistically and graphically, they're saying "this is enough. This is as ridiculous as it can go. It's time to grow up."

Stories

Plenty of games have had mature stories and well-written stories, but Naughty Dog seem to be making a point with Uncharted 4. It's not just like a send off of Nathan Drake and the supporting cast, it also feels like a send-off of this sort of game. Like they've done all they can with the bombastic third person adventure and now they're going to move on, 'grow up' into more real types of story.

I couldn't help but feel while playing UC4 that the style and ND's capabilities have really outgrown the sorts of things you're physically doing in the game. Like at one stage Drake was doing a ridiculous bit of jumping and platforming, but my mind was stuck on the really bittersweet, realistic and believable story which was motivating his every move at that point. It didn't gel perfectly - it felt like the gameplay had to go more real, more intense to match the story.

TL;DR: IDK, just spitballing, lol

SomTervo

To ME uncharted is a third person shooter with some light puzzles and some climbing. It was always more gears of war than tomb raider. And the story was there but not in the way of the gameplay.

Uncharted 4 is too story driven. Too many slow paced moments. There's a chapter midway through the game
where you just walk. The same could've been achieved with a 3 minute custscene.
It's like if Michael Bay decided to turn a transformers flick into an oscar bait movie.

The combat has improved yes. Weapon handling, movement feels better. But i think these huge arenas hurt the experience. It seems i'm always being shot in the back. Enemies are very good at flanking you. And as a result my screen is black and white most of the time while i try to figure out who is shooting at me.
I don't mark enemies and i avoid stealth gameplay. Marking shouldn't even be in the game. It shouldn't be necessary. Bigger is not always better. Stealth is broken because enemy AI is stupid (moderate difficulty).

Enemy types are the same as in previous games. So far and iirc there's nothing new.
There's nothing about these new bad guys that make them stand out from previous ones.

Technically and visually uncharted 4 is a masterpice. The attention to detail is outstanding.
Uncharted 4 is a GOTY contender for sure but still i am disappointed. Uncharted 2 is still my favorite.

My ranking: UC2 > UC4 > UC3 >UC1

Uncharted 4 is disappointing everyone who sees the series as a third-person shooter first.

It's unfortunate that you're in that group.

IMO, go and play multiplayer for a while whenever you feel like it's going too slowly for you. PS I don't think they needed to add any new enemy types, and the encounters are damn great and not too hard on any difficulty (I've played Moderate and Crushing).

PPS - Also none of the arenas are bigger than Uncharted 2's biggest ones. Well, perhaps one of them. But seriously, this is not 'massive' like you're making out.

My 1 issue so far is the collectibles don't have descriptions making me not want to get them.

I'd rather no descriptions and a nice model than a thousand items with shit, broadly dull and turgid descriptions which the protagonist reads out even though the text is right there and takes a quarter the time to read than listen to

Looking at you, Tomb Raider rebootz

Playing on Hard, up to Chapter 9 so far.

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit but I do have one fairly significant gripe. Drake takes damage too easily and as a result acrobatic maneuvers during combat are discouraged. Whenever I try to do something "cool" like swinging around on some beams to flank a group of enemies I get shot to pieces and quickly have to run to the nearest chest high wall and dip into cover to regain HP. Far too many of the combat encounters have boiled down to the most efficient way to handle things; hanging back and popping in and out of cover for a kill or two. It works but it's boring.

I think it's important to note that I'm not complaining about the game's difficulty. I have no problem with being punished for poor and overaggressive play and I haven't felt stuck on any of the combat sequences. I just feel like the game actively discourages you from using the interesting elements that are present in the majority of the combat arenas. I think a solution would be to make Drake harder to hit while you're running, swinging, rolling, etc.

hamchan

UC4 = UC2 > UC1 > UC3

Can't separate 4 just yet. 2 has much more shooting than 4, which I'm more partial to than the extended platforming sections in 4. But 4 easily has the best story of the series.

THIS GAME!!!

Chapter 14....I don't even. GAF, h....how? How is this graphically possible? I don't think I have EVER seen a more mind blowing location than this in a game!

I'm loving the combat in this chapter too. Using your rope to quickly flee from some enemies at the last second is such a rush!

AHA-Lambda

Just finished it, took me about 12 hours on Light.

I enjoyed it but my initial skepticism of the game held true for the most part, for me it feels very been here done that. Plus it's maybe a tad bit too long for the pacing, and certainly a number of tropes get repeated (omg how many times must I slide down a ramp for Nate to jump off the edge and use the grappling hook while he shouts nononono)

The big props have to go to the story though, it's a great conclusion for the series and doesn't fall into some of the other games' bad habits.

I'd say 7/10
2>4=3>1

The main thing is that it stopped being an action game and became an action adventure game. Combat is now just one part of the whole. I think of the contrast between the late game chapters in the snow with Elena in UC2 where it seem like its just a march from one combat scenario to the next, and the little bits of traversal are just the filler you gotta do to get to the next one. The characters dont really talk to each other except how to get to the next area or watch out for that bad guy.

Compare that to the late-game chapters
with Elena in UC4, which have more varied pacing in what the player does. There are exciting combat moments yes, some of the best in the game like using the elevator and the cliffs to fight around in ch.17, or the area with all the water you can use to stealth and maneuver around all the shotgunners/grenadiers/snipers in ch.18, or the big pirate ship climax of ch.20. But that's just ONE part of it now. There's also driving around, talking about character motivations or the history of Avery. There are quiet scenes where they talk to each other about their relationship and what they need from each other. There are extended scenes of traversal/problem-solving involving elevators and broken up mansions and booby-trapped caverns.

And that's different from Uncharteds in the past, and a lot of people aren't gonna react well to that change. But I think about great action adventure movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark or Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and ya know...those movies aren't wall-to-wall action either. Yeah, those are the most exciting bits, but a lot of the movies are...deciphering clues to the mcguffin, scenes dedicated to the relationship dynamic between Indy and Marion/Henry Sr., exploring locations like the big Well of Souls or that crypt underneath the cathedral, or figuring out booby traps. I feel like UC4 is the closet ND has gotten to approximately the structure and feel of a a good Indiana Jones film, even if they had to shift the action focus to an adventure focus to do it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit but I do have one fairly significant gripe. Drake takes damage too easily and as a result acrobatic maneuvers during combat are discouraged. Whenever I try to do something "cool" like swinging around on some beams to flank a group of enemies I get shot to pieces and quickly have to run to the nearest chest high wall and dip into cover to regain HP. Far too many of the combat encounters have boiled down to the most efficient way to handle things; hanging back and popping in and out of cover for a kill or two. It works but it's boring.

I think it's important to note that I'm not complaining about the game's difficulty. I have no problem with being punished for poor and overaggressive play and I haven't felt stuck on any of the combat sequences. I just feel like the game actively discourages you from using the interesting elements that are present in the majority of the combat arenas. I think a solution would be to make Drake harder to hit while you're running, swinging, rolling, etc.

Similar issue playing the Uncharted Collection on Crushing last year. You are forced to play very conservatively given how immediate you are taken out when out of cover, leading to less risky and exciting maneuvers. Blind-fire becomes your friend in those games, as even poking your head up to quickly aim shots can be equally as dangerous as moving entirely out of cover.

I wanted the full challenge, but it led to a less interesting combat experience.

Do you think that might be Naughty Dog's greater theme with this game? I don't just mean for Nate's character, but for gaming as a whole.

That it's time for games to grow up?

Two lines of thought:

Graphics

I mean, we know that Druckley intentionally made Uncharted 4's set pieces less insane than in 2 and 3, because the series would become a caricature of itself. But more importantly, I was playing the game and thinking "This shit is getting less believable because it looks so real". If Uncharted 1 was 40% cartoon, Uncharted 4 is like 15% cartoon. Those ridiculous jumps and near-deaths and survived-death-traps are looking more and more real, and you can't get away from how these things look with this level of fidelity.

So, stylistically and graphically, they're saying "this is enough. This is as ridiculous as it can go. It's time to grow up."

Stories

Plenty of games have had mature stories and well-written stories, but Naughty Dog seem to be making a point with Uncharted 4. It's not just like a send off of Nathan Drake and the supporting cast, it also feels like a send-off of this sort of game. Like they've done all they can with the bombastic third person adventure and now they're going to move on, 'grow up' into more real types of story.

I couldn't help but feel while playing UC4 that the style and ND's capabilities have really outgrown the sorts of things you're physically doing in the game. Like at one stage Drake was doing a ridiculous bit of jumping and platforming, but my mind was stuck on the really bittersweet, realistic and believable story which was motivating his every move at that point. It didn't gel perfectly - it felt like the gameplay had to go more real, more intense to match the story.

TL;DR: IDK, just spitballing, lol

Interesting line of thought there. And I can probably bet that you're onto something with that as well.

Similar issue playing the Uncharted Collection on Crushing last year. You are forced to play very conservatively given how immediate you are taken out when out of cover, leading to less risky and exciting maneuvers. Blind-fire becomes your friend in those games, as even poking your head up to quickly aim shots can be equally as dangerous as moving entirely out of cover.

I wanted the full challenge, but it led to a less interesting combat experience.
Totally. It's a problem that a lot of shooters suffer from, particularly those that emphasize cover but also give you options for acrobatic movement and traversal.

It feels particularly noticeable when contrasted with the last game I played, Dark Souls 3. In a Souls game the difficulty level leads you to mastering every element of the combat. In UC higher difficulty just means fewer, more tedious options.

dralla

That's exactly what happened to me and I switched to Moderate. It's more fun that way. The enemy AI is way too accurate on Hard.

The main thing is that it stopped being an action game and became an action adventure game. Combat is now just one part of the whole. I think of the contrast between the late game chapters in the snow with Elena in UC2 where it seem like its just a march from one combat scenario to the next, and the little bits of traversal are just the filler you gotta do to get to the next one. The characters dont really talk to each other except how to get to the next area or watch out for that bad guy.

with Elena in UC4, which have more varied pacing in what the player does. There are exciting combat moments yes, some of the best in the game like using the elevator and the cliffs to fight around in ch.17, or the area with all the water you can use to stealth and maneuver around all the shotgunners/grenadiers/snipers in ch.18, or the big pirate ship climax of ch.20. But that's just ONE part of it now. There's also driving around, talking about character motivations or the history of Avery. There are quiet scenes where they talk to each other about their relationship and what they need from each other. There are extended scenes of traversal/problem-solving involving elevators and broken up mansions and booby-trapped caverns.

And that's different from Uncharteds in the past, and a lot of people aren't gonna react well to that change. But I think about great action adventure movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark or Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and ya know...those movies aren't wall-to-wall action either. Yeah, those are the most exciting bits, but a lot of the movies are...deciphering clues to the mcguffin, scenes dedicated to the relationship dynamic between Indy and Marion/Henry Sr., exploring locations like the big Well of Souls or that crypt underneath the cathedral, or figuring out booby traps. I feel like UC4 is the closet ND has gotten to approximately the structure and feel of a a good Indiana Jones film, even if they had to shift the action focus to an adventure focus to do it.

yeah it's got the most movie-like structure to any of their games. feels like what they were trying to build towards their whole career since ps3. and it helps that the strength of detail in the setpieces and firefights such as greater debris and movement really adds to that feel.

madagascar chase was basically the mad max and indy games we deserve.

Nyx

Chapter 21 now after 17.5 hours.

This is seriously one of the best videogames I've ever played.

Coming from Pitfall to slinging rope in UC4, we've come a long way.

Yep and that is why it's my favorite game from them .

Raven117

Hmm, sounds really variable to me. Like sometimes the voice actress is doing Australian, or even some variant of British. I noticed this particularly in her discussion w/ Rafe in chapter 9.

Presumably the voice actress is NOT South African, and I believe she's having trouble with consistency. It's really jumped out at me multiple times.

Edit, just checked and of course it's Laura Bailey. I've liked her a lot in other roles, so I think the issue here is just consistency, not general talent.

Im with ya man (especially goes for the conversations of the mercs). I have spent time in South Africa and know that accent. A few times they get it (and it is a very difficult accent to do), but other times, it veers into Australian or whatever.

Gurish

I know that like 10,000 people already said it in this thread but I still can't get how this look so good, how ND? How???

This is the best looking game ever, The IQ is pure witchcraft.

daveo42

Banned
That's exactly what happened to me and I switched to Moderate. It's more fun that way. The enemy AI is way too accurate on Hard.

I'm sticking with Hard for now. Might do an normal or even easy run just to fuck around and replay the story. Hard, for me, has lead to some pretty quick deaths and less of generally swinging around to kill dudes.

BumRush

Through chapter 9 and I'm not getting the criticism for the soundtrack. I actually think it's the best Uncharted soundtrack yet.

I'm only on Chapter 11 but I've gotta say the game is phenomenal so far. Considering this is the 4th entry in the series, they have managed to keep it feeling fresh, new and exciting. And I'm not even half way through the game yet lol.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
You can always hang forever on your finger tips, and so can everyone else. That's not broken logic. It's consistent. It's unrealistic but it's consistent.

I'm wondering if they'll ever introduce a grip meter. Maybe in a "Savage"/Realistic mode above Crushing. ;)

Raven117

I'd love to know as well, just for fun though, I'm completely satisfied with this game's ending.

Of course, sounds like they nailed it (haven't finished it yet).

But yeah, I mean, she was the original creative director. Would have liked to have know the alternate reality Uc4

yeah it's got the most movie-like structure to any of their games. feels like what they were trying to build towards their whole career since ps3. and it helps that the strength of detail in the setpieces and firefights such as greater debris and movement really adds to that feel.

madagascar chase was basically the mad max and indy games we deserve.

Yeah, and thats another thing; when the action happens, its the best in the series. They've never been such impressive escape from collapsing buildings or vehicle chase set piece in like...any game, tbh. Like watching the E3 sequence is one thing, but actually seeing how much of it you can control, right down to leaping from convoy to jeep, driving that until the next truck comes up, leaping into a rope, actually having to hold L1 and climb back up while shooting the other motorcycles and shit...its exhilarating.

I think that all the individual elements of Uncharted titles are now better here through a combination of audio/visual improvements, the more analogue control, better sound design, and generally more player interactivity. This has given Naughty Dog more confidence instead of having to bombard the player with constant action, lest they grow bored. Now all the traversal/problem solving/exploration/cutscenes/character conversations/combat work in synchronization to create one uniquely interactive cinematic experience.

The Lamp

I was really satisfied with the final chapter but now my mind has thought of so many ways it would be way cooler >_> Hmmm I wonder if the cut set piece Druckmann/Straley talked about could have come from the later chapters. I'm really curious what it was.

noomi

There was a digital foundry video the other day about how the game is a solid 30fps.... I beg to differ. There were definitely some areas very early in the game where FPS dipped (or at least felt like it dipped) well below 30.

Not enough to bother me since it only happened twice so far, but it was and felt very noticeable.

RS4-

Whoops, I fucked up that e3 trophy. I paused it after the cutscene to take a call. Waiting upwards to a minute and no trophy.

Restarted checkpoint, no trophy.

I guess I'll have to do it on my next playthrough

I love the little touches like Sam wincing when you flash the light in his eyes and stuff. He does it for as long as you hold it on him :p I also love the fact that you can use stealth for whole encounters again, too.

There was a digital foundry video the other day about how the game is a solid 30fps.... I beg to differ. There were definitely some areas very early in the game where FPS dipped (or at least felt like it dipped) well below 30.

Not enough to bother me since it only happened twice so far, but it was and felt very noticeable.

Yeah I'm not too far in and I've noticed more than a few already. It's mostly solid though so I can't complain.

Top Bottom