• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

leng jai

Chapter
has a massive
UC1
going on. It made me realise that Nate's dynamic with Sam doesn't really compare to any of the classic characters.

Greg

let's make an incredibly beautiful game and then completely drain the color from it the second you get shot!

this is one of those cases where I'd prefer a simple health bar

This may not be fair, but I feel all the obsessive attention to detail ND has put in this game throws the bits that are off into starker relief. Like, the game is training me to pay close attention to a bunch of incidental details, because the game makers put so much effort in to them and don't want them to be ignored. But then I notice all sorts of weird details the game makers didn't put effort into or couldn't quite get right.

I suppose that's just the price of progress.

E.g., things that really stand out but might not if they weren't superimposed against such high quality and realism:

-Nadine's shift-by-the-moment accent. What's up with that?
-The fact that the jeep, despite handling realistically in mud, is totally indestructible and can drive over rocks big enough to tear out the transmission.
-the always there just when you need them despite your being in a supposedly untouched 400 year old ruin rolling crates
-the weird animation moments where the face or limb joints aren't quite right
-the over-simple melee
-the limited options in stealth
-the exposition-heavy awkwardness of the incidental banter
-that in most environments there's one, maybe two, totally linear bread-crumbed paths

Note, the degree to which these things irritate me is in large part driven by the fact that I'm comparing them to other similar elements in the game that are truly top-of-class.

And I'm not hating the game or anything -- it has had fun moments, and it sure is pretty. I'm motivated to keep pushing ahead. Just hasn't jelled for me yet into more than the sum of its parts. Heading into the back half, so we'll see.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I'll say it again since I haven't had time to play it past chapter 8 since Tuesday, but my favorite moment in the game so far was when
Nate, Sam and Sully are sitting at the table, Nate calls Elena, and Sully explains to Sam that Nate is "out of the game." Sully's facial expressions are amazing, the words uttered feel meaningful, and I really just feel sorry for Nate who's put himself in such a predicament AGAIN. It hit me harder because he - Nate - displayed such a youthful excitement when reviewing the map before calling Elena, clearly indicating that his first priority isn't to save his brother but to treasure hunt.

Coupled with the stark contrast in soundtrack as compared to the previous titles, I love that this game feels more mature and nuanced. The ambient music are more alluring to me than the in-your-face soundtracks of the older games, even though I love those as well.

The Lamp

I feel like the story in this game retroactively improves the previous games'. The angle U3 took with Nate reluctantly lusting for treasure at Sully's expense and Elena suddenly wanting him to leave the adventure behind was hard for me to buy after how on-board every character was in U2 for exploration.

U4 really sells the idea that it's time for everyone to grow up and let go, and it makes U3's pivotal themes more believable and cemented in a progressive timeline of each character's development. The weariness has built up to this point. And this game clarifies U3 by saying yes, Nate and them need to move on, but let's not undersell how much they truly miss treasure hunting. I feel like U3 tried to make it feel like suddenly Nate was the only one who selfishly enjoyed treasure hunting at everyone else's expense and that was a hard sale for me. But U4 clarified that they all deep-down really love the adventure, they just can't summon that recklessness into their lives anymore.

Nadine's accent isn't shifting, it's just South African.

Hmm, sounds really variable to me. Like sometimes the voice actress is doing Australian, or even some variant of British. I noticed this particularly in her discussion w/ Rafe in chapter 9.

Presumably the voice actress is NOT South African, and I believe she's having trouble with consistency. It's really jumped out at me multiple times.

Edit, just checked and of course it's Laura Bailey. I've liked her a lot in other roles, so I think the issue here is just consistency, not general talent.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I know some people don't care for the less combat oriented focus of the game while also minimizing the set pieces but I am enjoying it. I just wish they'd figure out some more interesting puzzles than shoving those boxes around. The large room scale puzzles were enjoyable enough to me but I'm not expecting old school adventure style stuff or anything like that, don't want things getting too obtuse or confusing as that kills the fun as much as a room with no cover filled with tons of gattling gun bullet sponge enemies.

let's make an incredibly beautiful game and then completely drain the color from it the second you get shot!

Yeah, I cannot stand that effect or the red splashes all over the screen. Just give me the force feedback through rumble, staggering of the character, and like you said a health bar for a visual cue that doesn't remove you from the experience.

I feel like the story in this game retroactively improves the previous games'. The angle U3 took with Nate reluctantly lusting for treasure at Sully's expense and Elena suddenly wanting him to leave the adventure behind was hard for me to buy after how on-board every character was in U2 for exploration.

U4 really sells the idea that it's time for everyone to grow up and let go, and it makes U3's pivotal themes more believable and cemented in a progressive timeline of each character's development. The weariness has built up to this point. And this game clarifies U3 by saying yes, Nate and them need to move on, but let's not undersell how much they truly miss treasure hunting. I feel like U3 tried to make it feel like suddenly Nate was the only one who selfishly enjoyed treasure hunting at everyone else's expense and that was a hard sale for me. But U4 clarified that they all deep-down really love the adventure, they just can't summon that recklessness into their lives anymore.

I just wish Sam's introduction hadn't retroactively reduced the importance of Sully in Drake's life. He went from being his only "real" family and father-figure while he was a kid to being a friend who Drake hung out with when his brother wasn't around.

The Lamp

I just wish Sam's introduction hadn't retroactively reduced the importance of Sully in Drake's life. He went from being his only "real" family and father-figure while he was a kid to being a friend who Drake hung out with when his brother wasn't around.

True, but it was implied that Sam left Nate at odd times in childhood because he somehow ended up alone in Colombia, and Sam had a tendency to find weird jobs away from Nate for long periods of time.

At Ch. 12 right now

Hmmmmmmm, this game is strange. It hit me sometime during the massive Chapter 10 that this Ch. 8-12 stretch isn't giving me as many pure Uncharted vibes/moments as past games, but something else entirely. This run almost feels like pre-reboot Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider done at an extremely high level. Like if Naughty Dog made Tomb Raider Underworld. The more spaced out combat, the vehicle, the winch/rope physics, the boat, the longer stretches of not difficult but still engaging climbing, the wider spaces... Is it just me?

What this leads to, especially the way I approach singleplayer games on the first playthrough, is a game that's less consistently white knuckle, but something that feels more like an actual adventure, much like The Last of Us. Like a 10 part mini-series adaption of Uncharted, which was previously a crazy action movie. It's more subdued, has more room to breathe, and really hammers home the journey. Notice how many times they use the "Need to get to location in the distance" progression (even compared to past ND games) or how many painstakingly detailed animations there are for EVERYTHING. Hell, they make you slow down to remove the winch from the jeep. Multiple times. It's scratching a completely different itch than the one I wanted scratched, but it's scratching nonetheless.

Also, Chp. 11 contains one of the more entertaining climbing sections of the series and a really clever way
to make a set piece out of basically nothing when the clock collapses.
The art budget on this must be insane holy hell.

And I'm glad that the superman punch is just as ridiculous in singleplayer as multi. (the music is also really good during this encounter)

GIFa3ab1.gif

And omg I had no idea you could go from jeep to jeep, and jeep to rope during the chase. Legit chills during this part of the set-piece even though I've had it memorized since E3.

GIF4a4998.gif

I like this analogy, It's like Uncharted shifted from being a summer blockbuster and instead became a big budget HBO Miniseries, I love it.

Just finished Ch. 11.
Good lord that Madagascar chase sequence was simply amazing. Then scene after where Elena catches them man that was so powerful and emotional.

Finally....i thought this was just me
I'm baffled that a team with as much attention to detail as naughty dog thinks this looks good.
Completely ruins the atmosphere and reminds me i'm playing a video game.
I'd rather have a health bar or anything else, which developer started this trend?

Just played through the bit that the demoed @ E3? Its unimaginable but despite having seen the whole thing it was tremendous exciting
the uzing the truck bit while on the motorbike

Just got to
the island - post ship wreck/marrooned - probably chapter 13
this game is nothing short of amazing. The locales are stunning and so large, lots of running around. I'm probably missing treasure everywhere. Seriously, Naughtydog are the most talented game people out there.

Also
when Elena shows up and talks to Nate about him lying to her and him possibly being dead, that whole bit with Nate was incredibly moving
the acting and facial mocap etc is so emotive. It's really really powerful hey.

Best game ever!!!

leng jai

It's hilarious how much better the execution of the jeep ride between
Nate and Elena after a heavy conversation and the piano kicks in
when you compare to the comical shit that was MGS5's jeep ride.

RDreamer

Imo, all scores for the previous games are good. However Jackman's is perhaps a more suitable ambience to Uncharted. It seems more dramatic, large, and, cinematic.

'A thief's end' and 'Cut to the chase' are memorable.

Personally I've been really disappointed in the music. The soundtrack for the previous three games always blew me away and really added to the experience whereas here I almost never notice any of the score so far.

Urghhh everything about that part of the game is great,wish there was more of that.

SomTervo

Chapter
has a massive
UC1
going on. It made me realise that Nate's dynamic with Sam doesn't really compare to any of the classic characters.

No way, man. Sam's dynamic with Nate is perfect. Especially because he sort of carves his own path/makes his own comments. He really comes off as a bit more independent, and it's perfectly written that they're both very similar and share the same sorts of quips/jokes with lots of self-referential undertones. It really is like two Nates adventuring at once.

Perfectly written.

Personally I've been really disappointed in the music. The soundtrack for the previous three games always blew me away and really added to the experience whereas here I almost never notice any of the score so far.

It's understated, but that's not a bad thing. The music in UC4 is there to combine with the overall feel of what's happening onscreen, rather than stand out by itself. Which is perfect.

Lmao.

Never even crossed my mind, but jesus, yeah. Makes MGSV's look like child's play.

re: music. I dont think its as good as 2. The theme song of 2 is pretty great and i always loved booting up uncharted2 and hearing it swell up.

Mostly agree that it doesnt seem as memorable/seems like BG music

Auctopus

I was quite tired during that section, were they meant to be
talking to each other whilst the music played or were they just catching glances at one another?

Also the section prior to this was the U1 thing.

leng jai

No way, man. Sam's dynamic with Nate is perfect. Especially because he sort of carves his own path/makes his own comments. He really comes off as a bit more independent, and it's perfectly written that they're both very similar and share the same sorts of quips/jokes with lots of self-referential undertones. It really is like two Nates adventuring at once.

Perfectly written.

That's the problem with it for me - it's like having two clones of each other the whole time. No contrast.

I wish the whole game could've just been them. They have a real history behind every exchange and every glance. Sam is a plot device we're told has a history with us but it never feels earned. He's just there to get Nate back into action and to teach him a lesson about greed.

Jb

That's the problem with it for me - it's like having two clones of each other the whole time. No contrast.

Well Sam is clearly jealous of Nate's life
and therefore finding the treasure means so much more to him because that would be his way of proving his worth to himself. Two sides of the same coin, good thief/bad thief and all that.

SomTervo

1. That's the nature of them being brothers, though. Like they've spent way too much time together so they are similar. It's like two best friends - they finish each others sentences
/jokes
, they have similar humour...

2. There's still contrast there, but it's far more subtle. I think the main contrast is that Sam is slightly more egotistical, slightly more self-centred with possibly a selfish edge. You get senses of it from time to time, and as always Nate's responses are perfectly 'blasé', as he is about everything.

Salz01

That's so funny you mention this. I was thinking the same last night.

RDreamer

It's understated, but that's not a bad thing. The music in UC4 is there to combine with the overall feel of what's happening onscreen, rather than stand out by itself. Which is perfect.
The previous games' scores combined with the feel of what was happening and enhanced it. This one just kind of exists... Barely noticeable, not memorable, and not really enhancing anything. It's the most disappointing thing about this game for me by far. After Uc1-3 and TLOU I've come to expect greatness.

This what i like about the ending .
Everything comes to place by the end and is a fitting end after 4 games.

dieter

Neo Member
Hmm, sounds really variable to me. Like sometimes the voice actress is doing Australian, or even some variant of British. I noticed this particularly in her discussion w/ Rafe in chapter 9.

Presumably the voice actress is NOT South African, and I believe she's having trouble with consistency. It's really jumped out at me multiple times.

Edit, just checked and of course it's Laura Bailey. I've liked her a lot in other roles, so I think the issue here is just consistency, not general talent.

Yeah, I found her accent to be weird in the first couple of missions where you see her, but it does get much better later on. I still think the other South African accents are even better (probably real south african actors).

She makes everything better .
One of my favorite characters in any media really going to miss her :(

It also helps that
Emily Rose gives the best performance in a sea of great performances, and brings out the best in the others like Nolan North. She gives the animators a lot to work with, conveying real nuanced things. Like her reaction to Drake getting swept up in the death and danger of the past again. She gives him a mix of worry and fear about his emotional investment in this whole ordeal, with a terse "it's incredible" that doesn't hide her real feelings.

krae_man

Played to the start of chapter 8. Really enjoying it so far. maybe a bit long but it kept me engaged the entire time.

I loved the
toy gun

Some of these climbing sequences are hilariously long and needlessly complicated. Want to get up on the ledge 10 feet above your head? Shimmy around the entire massive compound for 20 minutes. Then when you get there, if you drop down by mistake there's a climbable wall to get back up in 5 seconds. Dammit, I could have just did that? Of course it probably wasn't there before but it should have been. It's not like I pushed a box down or something.

Just going through the first two chapters and holy shit Naughty Dog are in a class of their own in terms of graphics (Personally story telling as well but I accept that's more subjective) nothing I have seen comes close to it, some games might have good textures but lack other details like animations or have performance impacts that make it look shit (unstable fps and lowered resolution) but here we have incredible detail everywhere you look and it's just so ridiculously seamless. New standard right here.

joanot

Only complain I have with the game right now, I hope they patch in an option to disable it.

Top Bottom