• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Anyone notice the three lone graves in Madagascar? I know this isn't Souls but it felt like that really represented something.

Amy Hennng, Justin Richmond, and Todd Stashwick

last-us-interview-neil-druckmann.jpg

This game is so amazing. I love the amount of exploration this game has in relation to gun fights. I know that some are knocking the amount of exploration, but isn't that the argument that many people have been making for games like Uncharted and Tomb Raider? More exploration, less shoot bang. Here is a game that has a very large amount of exploration, and it is brought up as a negative.

Then, you take into account how some say the game is too long, and others wish it didn't end. I guess you just cannot win with everyone.

Falchion

This might be the slowest I've ever played a game. Anytime I come to a new area I just slowly explore around and take screenshots of all the scenery.

dralla

Still shocked that people are putting UC2 over UC4.

UC4>UC3>UC2>UC1

Last of Us is still my fave NG game though.

UC2 was special. It was a watershed moment for the series and action/adventure games in general. There's no way another Uncharted game could have the same kind of impact, regardless of quality. That's why a lot of people hold UC2 in such high regard (myself included). UC2 still has some of the best aspects of the series, most notably is its cast of characters and pacing, but UC4 is a relatively significant departure from the traditional Uncharted formula so it's hard to compare the games.

Caja 117

At Chapter 12 right now, and to this point for me this is by far the best Uncharted of the series, it feels like the correct mix of exploration and combat. Havent played anything else since Tuesday and my wife is not very happy with Naughty Dog.

mileS

are most people playing with the default control settings? I can't decide on aiming settings at all. Aim assist 1-10 feels all the same and the actual aim sensitivity feels strange when going between 3-5. I've tried going with aim assist 0 for a while but even on normal you tend to get swarmed a lot.

are most people playing with the default control settings? I can't decide on aiming settings at all. Aim assist 1-10 feels all the same and the actual aim sensitivity feels strange when going between 3-5. I've tried going with aim assist 0 for a while but even on normal you tend to get swarmed a lot.

I have camera sensitivity set to max and aiming sensitivity set to 7. Aim assists off.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
And done, the end credits and music are still playing. Overall I loved it, they improved every aspect of the game and you can't ask for more than that. Technically it was a damn marvel, the visuals were incredible and performance for the most part was solid, and when it was running as intended it was the smoothest 30fps I've ever experienced, usually 30fps will greatly reduce my enjoyment of a game but it didn't this time, they did a really great job. I also felt much more attached to the characters this time around, I don't know if it was because they looked so lifelike or what, but I definitely felt more emotion this time around than any of the previous Uncharted games, not quite The Last of Us levels but still.

End spoiler:

I mentioned before how well the game ran but sadly not the final fight, that room was extremely choppy and it killed it for me, now I know a lot of you won't have noticed it but I most definitely did, at times it was really bad, especially when you were fighting close to one of the walls on fire. It's a shame the game shit the bed a little at the final hurdle when it was so great throughout barring a few slowdowns here and there. I did quite enjoy their spin on a QTE bossfight, it wasn't as offensive as just being told which buttons to press at the correct times. The actor who played Rafe was brilliant and really pushed the scene IMO

Now it's time to make dinner and then boot up the multiplayer for the first time, I'm looking forward to it!

TLoU > UC4 > UC3 > UC2 > UC1

PS: After experiencing this engine first hand I can't wait to play The Last of Us II using it, it's going to be incredible.

Loudninja

I am at 3 aim assist and 0 aim sensitivity.

Floody

My ranking is almost the same as yours:

TLOU > U4 > U2 > U3 > U1

That's my ranking too, TLoU just takes it for me over U4 due to the combat being so tense, very few games have ever had me feeling like the combat in TLoU has me feeling. Everything else is amazingly well done in both, that I'd just be splitting hairs trying to say one does it better than the other.

Uncharted 2 will probably never be topped for wow factor for me, as I went in pretty much blind for that game having only played about 70% of Uncharted 1 and was blown away, it's just Uncharted 4 does pretty much everything it did better, so I'd put it above it.

U3 and U1 are great games, just not on the same level as the other 3 for me, I put U3 above, just due to 1 not aging all that well.

EVO

I just finished it then. Loved every minute of it. Game is an absolute masterpiece. Naughty Dog have really outdone themselves, and raised the bar so damn high for other devs. I played through Rise of the Tomb Raider leading up to UC4's release and it honestly feels like a generational leap over that game.

Likewise, I'm surprised to see people ranking UC2 higher because I think it improved upon that game in every single aspect. Hopefully the multiplayer is just as good as UC2's.

THIS GAME!!!

Chapter 14....I don't even. GAF, h....how? How is this graphically possible? I don't think I have EVER seen a more mind blowing location than this in a game!

I'm loving the combat in this chapter too. Using your rope to quickly flee from some enemies at the last second is such a rush!

When I hit that chapters... I was screaming out loud "WTF is this? How is this possible? HOLY SHIT!!" It was like 2 AM in the morning too LOL!

The Lamp

This game is so amazing. I love the amount of exploration this game has in relation to gun fights. I know that some are knocking the amount of exploration, but isn't that the argument that many people have been making for games like Uncharted and Tomb Raider? More exploration, less shoot bang. Here is a game that has a very large amount of exploration, and it is brought up as a negative.

Then, you take into account how some say the game is too long, and others wish it didn't end. I guess you just cannot win with everyone.

You're assuming everyone wants the same thing from the Uncharted series. Not once have I ever said Uncharted needs more wandering around in open levels in place of combat and puzzles.

No you can't win. Probably why they made 4 different games.

Caode

Just finished it up. 15 hours on Hard mode.

Naughty Gods have done it again, this tops Uncharted 2 as my personal favourite in the series, diving straight back into it on crushing now. Such an incredible and stunning looking game.

Astral

Nadine was such a disappointing character. She's so
underutilized. I mean, she just leaves and that's it?
And I'm genuinely upset kinda that Nate's
daughter isn't named Lara.

This was definitely my favorite game in the series for so many reasons, but I do think that as a purely crazy action adventure, Uncharted 2 is still the best around. As a complete entity though, Uncharted 4 is undoubtedly my favorite. What a total delight from start to finish.

Cross posting because holy shit lol:

fOebGSH.png

PR5ZRqt.png

‘Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End’ review: This four-part series should have ended after Part One

"The Uncharted games have never excelled at storytelling. Instead, they’ve used it an accompaniment to overwhelming visual technology."

Attention! It spoils the whole story.

I actually thought that this here is the review.

The thing that sticks out to me the most is:

"The Uncharted games have never excelled at storytelling. Instead, they’ve used it an accompaniment to overwhelming visual technology."

Raven117

So,
Naughty Dog....we know you are going to do TLoU2...BUT...

What's Next?

Obviously Sony is going to allow you to create anything you want. (I mean, for gawdsakes look at Bloodborne)....

What is next for Naughty Dog?

Nadine was such a disappointing character. She's so
underutilized. I mean, she just leaves and that's it?
And I'm genuinely upset kinda that Nate's
daughter isn't named Lara.

I like that fact about her .
She got some money and realize the rest was not worth losing her life.
After losing so much already so she bail out lol.

Twookie

does someone here know what the song byte that gets played on the start of chapter 10 is called/from? (the sad nate's theme kinda thing)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
This game is as much a 4/10 as I am a Latino woman.

Did anyone else get the (ch.20 spoilers)
Crash Bandicoot reference
near the end? You know the one I mean, running into the screen jumping over those little brown gates. Classic.

So,
Naughty Dog....we know you are going to do TLoU2...BUT...

What's Next?

Obviously Sony is going to allow you to create anything you want. (I mean, for gawdsakes look at Bloodborne)....

What is next for Naughty Dog?

A romantic comedy about Sully being a dirty old man, and Chloe finding her Nate.

JTripper

And done, the end credits and music are still playing. Overall I loved it, they improved every aspect of the game and you can't ask for more than that. Technically it was a damn marvel, the visuals were incredible and performance for the most part was solid, and when it was running as intended it was the smoothest 30fps I've ever experienced, usually 30fps will greatly reduce my enjoyment of a game but it didn't this time, they did a really great job. I also felt much more attached to the characters this time around, I don't know if it was because they looked so lifelike or what, but I definitely felt more emotion this time around than any of the previous Uncharted games, not quite The Last of Us levels but still.

End spoiler:

I mentioned before how well the game ran but sadly not the final fight, that room was extremely choppy and it killed it for me, now I know a lot of you won't have noticed it but I most definitely did, at times it was really bad, especially when you were fighting close to one of the walls on fire. It's a shame the game shit the bed a little at the final hurdle when it was so great throughout barring a few slowdowns here and there. I did quite enjoy their spin on a QTE bossfight, it wasn't as offensive as just being told which buttons to press at the correct times. The actor who played Rafe was brilliant and really pushed the scene IMO

Now it's time to make dinner and then boot up the multiplayer for the first time, I'm looking forward to it!

TLoU > UC4 > UC3 > UC2 > UC1

PS: After experiencing this engine first hand I can't wait to play The Last of Us II using it, it's going to be incredible.

I agree with everything you said, even the rankings.

Jennipeg

Cross posting because holy shit lol:

The thing that sticks out to me the most is:

I think it's a joke that has been counted as a proper review by mistake. WP have already given it a 4/4.

Triz

Did anyone else get the (ch.20 spoilers)
Crash Bandicoot reference
near the end? You know the one I mean, running into the screen jumping over those little brown gates. Classic.
I mentioned it a few pages ago. I think many people are missing it.

UC2 was special. It was a watershed moment for the series and action/adventure games in general. There's no way another Uncharted game could have the same kind of impact, regardless of quality. That's why a lot of people hold UC2 in such high regard (myself included). UC2 still has some of the best aspects of the series, most notably is its cast of characters and pacing, but UC4 is a relatively significant departure from the traditional Uncharted formula so it's hard to compare the games.

UC2 was amazing, sure, but I don't know what aspects someone would say put it above UC4 as a game. Granted I was someone who thought UC3 was better than UC2. Just seems to me the narrative of UC4 mixed with the actual gameplay improvements (seriously this is the first game in the series with shooting mechanics I loved) I just don't get it. Drake's Fortune was one of the first games I got for my PS3 in 2008 so I'm not late to the series either.

I was really satisfied with the final chapter but now my mind has thought of so many ways it would be way cooler >_> Hmmm I wonder if the cut set piece Druckmann/Straley talked about could have come from the later chapters. I'm really curious what it was.

The game definitely needed at least one more big action set piece in the last 1/4th of the game, the ending stretch feels far tamer than it should.

Leatherface

GAF what is a decent sweet spot for the aim cam for a console shooter newb? I am coming from mouse and keyboard so this aiming business on a controller has me all kinds of screwed up. I tend to over aim no matter how gentle I am on the analog stick. I have it set to 3 right now with aim assist on 5. I really don't want to punk out and enable the snap on function. Help a brotha out with some shooting tips. I need to step up my game if I'm going to kill you all in multiplayer. :p

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Finished it last night. I don't know if I should rate it just yet, I want to let it sink in and play it again. So here it goes, it could (and probably will) change after my second playthrough.

I really, really liked it. Don't know if I loved it, like I said I need some time to process it and play it again. The score just sucks, Henry Jackman is awful. Yuck. There were like two good tracks in there, which tbh I already forgot.
the moment when you are driving the jeep with Elena next to you after the talk in that car elevator, the visuals and music were great.

Visually, technically and all of that is as expected from ND. Kinda hard to blow me away at this point, but I do appreciate the attention to detail. The voice acting is once again topnotch. But the writing is what really sticks out, you can really tell. Especially the dialogue, I don't know how Neil does it and it is probably the hardest part of writing. But his dialogue is always so fucking fantastic and feels genuine/real. Doesn't quite reach TLOU levels, but it is def. up there. Especially
the moments between Drake and Elena. I have to say it does become clear that Neil is more at the darker side of things.

Gameplay was an improvement as well, especially the shooting. Some weird bugs/glitches/whateveritwas moments where the character doesn't really do what I wanted but ohh well. The story/pirate setting was great.

Plenty I haven't touched upon, but I really want to play it again before making a final judgement. I'd say at the moment 8.5/10. I liked TLOU more (I just love dark stuff) and think I'd put this around UC2. This is just for the SP, haven't touched MP.

Rixxan

When I finished TLOU I dove into multiplayer games for a long, long time - single player titles were simply not cutting it for me anymore

I think Bloodborne and Witcher 3 were the only things to finally grab me

I can already tell something similar will happen once I'm done with U4

No one in this industry can deliver story driven single player experiences like naughty dog - and it's not even close, it's almost embarrassing

Symphonia

Banned
I'm yet to complete the game, but is it possible to go back to a specific chapter? I recorded 2 1/2 hours of gameplay with my Elgato for my YouTube channel, only to find the footage choppy as hell. I don't really want to restart the entire game, but being able to start off from chapter six would be a godsend.

What's the
Monkey Island
reference people are talking about? I just got chapter 13 (I think, I'm at the one called
Marooned.
).

I was keeping an eye out for it, I'm not hugely familiar with the series though so maybe I missed it.

Did anyone else think that the scene where
Drake texts Sam the photos of the stuff in the tower
in Ch. 11 was really dumb?
Drake usually knows everything about everything, and it seems like such a stupid way to get that info to the bad guys. "Let me text this to Sam because this can't wait ten minutes, OH NO THEY HACKED US!!"

I can't wait to see where the story goes, seems like
Sam may have been on the verge of revealing that he was making up the story about how he got out of prison
at the end of Ch. 12. Or something like that anyway.

The graphics are incredible, especially the facial animation. It's insane that LA Noire came out just a few years ago and looks like shit outside of the facial animation. Uncharted looks all-around incredible.

Top Bottom