• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

cormack12

Gold Member
Graphics in this blow me away. Seriously some of those textures on the nuns school roof and walls made me think of the order.

I'm on like chapter 8 now I think. It's been very, very slow paced imo. There's only the rooftop chase at the auction I'd class as a real meaty game play section.

The intro prison sequences were nice but choppy in terms of transitions to and from game play. Also I think it's now so heavily scripted it detracts from the game. Like passing cards or taking things from people, the character does an awkward position reset before playing through the animations. Not something I noticed too much in other uncharted games.

Best moment so far was drake ando elena on the couch. Nailed that whole scene.

Hoping it picks up a bit but it's been pretty stop-start so far....with the emphasis on stop.

dralla

Graphics in this blow me away. Seriously some of those textures on the nuns school roof and walls made me think of the order.

I'm on like chapter 8 now I think. It's been very, very slow paced imo. There's only the rooftop chase at the auction I'd class as a real meaty game play section.

The intro prison sequences were nice but choppy in terms of transitions to and from game play. Also I think it's now so heavily scripted it detracts from the game. Like passing cards or taking things from people, the character does an awkward position reset before playing through the animations. Not something I noticed too much in other uncharted games.

Best moment so far was drake ando elena on the couch. Nailed that whole scene.

Hoping it picks up a bit but it's been pretty stop-start so far....with the emphasis on stop.

The beginning is slow for sure. The game is much longer than previous games so it's not paced as quickly. There are payoffs later in the game for the slower story moments in the beginning, it's much like TLOU in this regard. It does pick up its pace soon

Natels

Just finished it. I believe it's the best Uncharted. So good.

And it is so god damn beautiful, especially the lack of aliasing.

CHC

Just started it today and I gotta say those first 5 min were baaaad. The game immediately got better in the next section with the platforming. I would have preferred they made that first part a cutscene and started off the game with the platforming section.

Everything after that has been pretty great though. I just started chapter 4 or 5 I think.

If you're talking about the boat part, I agree with you. It's kind of disorienting because after that it goes way back and then way forward in time. Weird opener, but still fun to play. Would have preferred they just start right in the orphanage.

Sheroking

Struggling to think of any significant flaws I encountered in the game.

Maybe the best narrative in game history, and certainly the best acting. Gorgeous, runs great, great gameplay variety and pacing. All of the new mechanics were really fun. I actually never got sick of using the grapple hook to swing places. I guess maybe I would have liked a couple more puzzles in place of some climbing, but with how this game looked, I do not begrudge the exploration.

I love the entire series, even 1 and 3. This is the only game I think fringes on a perfect 10. Very happy with it.

Deku Tree

Don't know why most reviewers ignored this but the context sensitive controls can be quite frustrating and annoying at times, just like in the previous Uncharted games.

I'm on a higher ledge waiting to drop down to a lower ledge and I press the drop button and fall to my death instead of dropping to the lower ledge. I'm sitting there pointing my left stick in the correct direction to get Nate to jump to the next hand held perfectly placed rock grab spot and he just sits there like a lump doing nothing.

I press the go into cover button standing next to cover and the game instead puts me into a roll that places me right in the line of fire of the enemies that I was supposed to be hiding from because the roll and cover button are the same.

Everybody is too busy gushing over the set pieces to complain about the controls.

TLOU>UC4>>>UC2>>>>>UC3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>UC1

I think UC4 is overall a more impressive game and maybe someday it will surpass TLOU. But I've beaten LOU 10 times, it made me buy a PS3 and then a PS4 and Ellie is my favorite video game character of all time. So it's tough to beat.

Biggest factor right now is that while Sam is a great character he definitely isn't Ellie level.

Don't know why most reviewers ignored this but the context sensitive controls can be quite frustrating and annoying at times, just like in the previous Uncharted games.

I'm on a higher ledge waiting to drop down to a lower ledge and I press the drop button and fall to my death instead of dropping to the lower ledge. I'm sitting there pointing my left stick in the correct direction to get Nate to jump to the next hand held perfectly placed rock grab spot and he just sits there like a lump doing nothing.

I press the go into cover button standing next to cover and the game instead puts me into a roll that places me right in the line of fire of the enemies that I was supposed to be hiding from.

Everybody is too busy gushing over the set pieces to complain about the controls.

Never once had an issue with the climbing to be honest. I had more issues with Nate getting into the wrong cover and so on.

Nate putting out his hand and being able to climb around pretry much eliminated all platforming related deaths for me that weren't my own error.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
If you're talking about the boat part, I agree with you. It's kind of disorienting because after that it goes way back and then way forward in time. Weird opener, but still fun to play. Would have preferred they just start right in the orphanage.
Somebody mentioned it earlier but it might be seen as a gameplay montage of all the opening sequences of past games
Boat shootout (UC1) + in media res (UC2) --> Sneaking (UC2) --> melee fight (UC3)

Sheroking

Uncharted 4 - Uncharted 2 - The Last of Us - Uncharted 3 - Uncharted 1. Thats my ranking.

I really love all of these games, though. It goes from near perfect to really good IMO.

Most of your issues are on you.

The game auto clips you to the ledge beneath you when you drop with circle. It will never drop you past it unless you arent actually above it. As for jumping to another ledge, Drakes animation changes when youre aiming at another ledge. You can see when he will actually climb.

There used to be some weird clip issues in Uncharted, but they were pretty much ironed out in 3.

eFKac

Never once had an issue with the climbing to be honest. I had more issues with Nate getting into the wrong cover and so on.

Nate putting out his hand and being able to climb around pretry much eliminated all platforming related deaths for me that weren't my own error.

Yup they basically eliminated the issue, weird complaint.

Had some problems with cover, unfortunately like in basically every 3rd person shooter that has the same button mapping, which there are quite a lot which I find weird.

Elitist1945

Where is the
underwater wreck
located? I've seen screenshots of
Nate swimming near one underwater
but I don't recall actually doing that myself.

Raven117

I press the go into cover button standing next to cover and the game instead puts me into a roll that places me right in the line of fire of the enemies that I was supposed to be hiding from because the roll and cover button are the same.

Go back to Destiny, Deku. </joke>

I thought the same thing. While the graphics, story, acting, are all absolutely stunning, when it comes down to actually running, jumping, shooting...it can get a little wonky...I've fallen to my death way more than once for something dumb.

Revven

On dropping down: if you hold the circle button, Drake won't grab the ledge beneath him when you drop. Keep that in mind next time you play.

T.O.P

Banned
The game went from

-ch 1-5 ok

-ch 6-9 getting good finally

-ch 10-11 holy fuck that was mind blowing

The entire
Madagascar
piece that followed into the E3 sequence was absolutely amazing

Lingitiz

The game went from

-ch 1-5 ok

The entire
Madagascar

The rest of the game really flexes some great level design with the combat. Also mixes in some really excellent character moments that are all fantastically written and paced throughout.

CHC

Oh shit the

>>>>><<<<<<<<< <>> < ><><>><>><<>>>>><<<<<<<<'s

have been busted out. We going to direction of the Souls threads now?

Somebody mentioned it earlier but it might be seen as a gameplay montage of all the opening sequences of past games
Boat shootout (UC1) + in media res (UC2) --> Sneaking (UC2) --> melee fight (UC3)

Oh that's kind of clever, didn't realize that. Still kind of weird pacing, but I see the idea at least.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Just hit Chapter 11 and my god this game is a pleasure to play, even playing on Hard with Aim Assist off I am able to pull off some impressive shit. Swing kills, flank attacks, stealth, etc. God damn ND.

The game went from

-ch 1-5 ok

The entire
Madagascar
You're not even halfway done. You are in for such a treat. Wish I was in your shoes again. :)

I have to be. Fair, I was harsh on the first 7 chapters for not letting you play and having too many platforming sections. I have to says chapters 8-12 is some of the best gaming I've ever played. If it stays like this or gets better I'm gonna be floored

dealer-

The game went from

-ch 1-5 ok

The entire
Madagascar

Exactly same for me. Wasn't feeling it at the start but loving it now, just got to chapter 16. Whole of
Madagascar
was perfection.

thenexus6

I have to say the final boss fight was
meh. Introducting a weird dodge left or right mechanic for the first time right at the end was lame.

Playing this game made me realise I need some new cool long sleeve t-shirts.

I liked the combat/stealth way better the second time through when I actually knew what I was supposed to be doing. First time through I was dying to random jumps or there was just a bleepton of dudes coming from everywhere.

icespide

Banned
I have to say the final boss fight was
meh. Introducting a weird dodge left or right mechanic for the first time right at the end was lame.

yep. I hated it. I wish
they had taken even more inspiration from the last of us here. a final intense stealthy/shooting segment would have been much better than some contrived sword fight

Elitist1945

yep. I hated it. I wish
they had taken even more inspiration from the last of us here. a final intense stealthy/shooting segment would have been much better than some contrived sword fight

Yeah
I'm failing miserably at this boss fight. I just can't react fast enough, or a mess up which button to press. Like...I've failed probably 10+ times.

Top Bottom