• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

it's the worst part of the game, I wish that whole thing was just a cutscene
This is a response to the Uncharted 4 spoilers, but I also talk about the end of TLOU:
im conflicted, the sword fight mechanic itself wasn't that good. But I absolutely loved the dialogue going on during the scene. Rafe's voice actor absolutely killed it this game. But it definitely wasn't as heart wrenching and intense as running through a hospital to save Ellie.

yep. I hated it. I wish
they had taken even more inspiration from the last of us here. a final intense stealthy/shooting segment would have been much better than some contrived sword fight

I love the last fight , the animation , gfx , VA , music were so good .
Also die a few times to hear what the character was going to say .

icespide

Banned
This is a response to the Uncharted 4 spoilers, but I also talk about the end of TLOU:
im conflicted, the sword fight mechanic itself wasn't that good. But I absolutely loved the dialogue going on during the scene. Rafe's voice actor absolutely killed it this game. But it definitely wasn't as heart wrenching and intense as running through a hospital to save Ellie.

some kind of last of us type ending combat scenario plus a nice ending cutscene confrontation with Rafe would have been great

edit: double post sorry

Lingitiz

This game deserves a ton of credit for actually making the treasure hunt storyline interesting and mysterious throughout. I have never really cared for any of the actual treasure hunt parts of UC2. They were really just a backdrop for good character interactions. With this one I was actually interested to see where it would go and they characterized Avery really well without him having a second on screen.

The dialogue at the end goes so far in contextualizing the character of Rafe beyond just "I'm a rich asshole."

I have to say the final boss fight was
meh. Introducting a weird dodge left or right mechanic for the first time right at the end was lame.

From this team, you really dont expect that type of game design sin.

This game deserves a ton of credit for actually making the treasure hunt storyline interesting and mysterious throughout. I have never really cared for any of the actual treasure hunt parts of UC2. They were really just a backdrop for good character interactions. With this one I was actually interested to see where it would go and they characterized Avery really well without him having a second on screen.
Whilst the main cast's story was just completely predictable, the pirate story was really awesome, never been engaged with this stuff before in an uncharted game.

jett

D-Member
I'd even take QTE button prompts. Anything to help me get passed it.

ND kind of gives up at the end and they end up doing just that heh.

Bosses has always been this company's weak point. They should look into poaching people from Platinum, Rocksteady or wherever else. At least the "fight" with Nadine is mercifully short, cuz the Rafe one goes on forever.

Floody

Yeah, that was definitely one of my favorite things about the game, also had some fantastic environmental story telling to boot, which I always love.

Elitist1945

ND kind of gives up at the end and they end up doing just that heh.

Bosses has always been this company's weak point. They should look into poaching people from Platinum, Rocksteady or wherever else. At least the "fight" with Nadine is mercifully short, cuz the Rafe one goes on forever.

At least theres checkpoints in the boss fight. So when I quit I can pick right where I left off during it the next day.

UC4 final boss is a
cool cinematic fight that basically RE4 Krauser knife fight taken to the next level. The dramatic stakes are high, it looks absolutely amazing, Rafe's body language/voice acting nails every vindictive line of dialog, and his death scene is thematically perfect.

Also, you just press fuckin square when its on the left and O when its on the right. Its not exactly rocket science, b.
Like how are you failing this so badly?

RDreamer

Weird, I honestly think this is the least interesting treasure/adventure backdrop for all the games. I was far more mystified by El Dorado, Shambala, and Iram than this. That's at least so far anyway.

I think the pirate treasure thing fits nicely with the character story they're trying to tell, though, so I can't fault them for going with it. It's just far less interesting.

icespide

Banned
UC4 final boss is a
cool cinematic fight that basically RE4 Krauser knife fight taken to the next level. The dramatic stakes are high, it looks absolutely amazing, Rafe's body language/voice acting nails every vindictive line of dialog, and his death scene is thematically perfect.

Also, you just press fuckin square when its on the left and O when its on the right. Its not exactly rocket science, b.

the indicators as to which side he's about to swing at are not nearly clear enough, at least not for me

Elitist1945

UC4 final boss is a

Because I have a slow reaction time, and the camera is super close up so I confuse which direction he's coming from.

Floody

UC4 final boss is a

It was when he started adding spins and going fast that I would cock it up, the camera being so close didn't help.

zsynqx

Absolutely.

Enhanced by some great environmental storytelling that was never really present in the past games.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Finished it this morning at about 4, wow.

Honestly, I have a little disappointment as I feel like the pacing is decently stunted in comparison to both Uncharted 2 and TLoU. Just going from a fresh memory of the game, there are either too many cutscenes or they are too long a duration. It almost felt like too much of Sam and Drake's relationship was getting waited on for cutscenes. I think A Thief's End isn't as good or as exciting as UC2 and TLoU, but it still has a ton to offer in terms of gameplay. The new gunplay mechanics in particular are absolutely thumping and intense, and the rope swinging was built simply enough that it doesn't feel like a new mechanic for the sake of it.

I think that replaying the previous games in the forms of the Collection may have actually hurt UC4 for me, at least in terms of singleplayer. The mild sluggishness of Nate's movement is more prominent and harder to control at 30 fps, something I had forgotten after playing the previous games at 60 fps. But you get used to that, and obviously enough the game is an absolute monster with the visuals.
And my final complaint were the antagonists, all of them. ND seems to enjoy using PMCs for standard enemies, which is fine, but when it's the fourth game in the series it feels a hint stale. The main antagonists were certainly interesting, but didn't feel as imposing, dangerous, or even as cool as the previous games' antagonists, even worse so in comparison to TLoU.

Overall great game, I'd probably rank it somewhere in the 8-9 range. Going to go for the crushing runthrough next, I don't think it'll be too difficult.

Edit: Also, the changes in fist-fighting were not necessary, and I preferred them in Uncharted 3.

there are even moments where,
after you get hit, he sloooows down his swing like "here comes my next attack, pls dodge it!"

You can even just back away if your health is low.

No offense, but Im amazed ya'll got this far if this is tripping ya'll up.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Finale spoilers
I found that if I mashed both triangle and circle at the same time, Nate would almost always block the sword attacks regardless of the swing. Handy at the end when Raiph is going bonkers with the spins.

UC4 final boss is a

Why do you respond to any criticism of this game, so aggressively?
No its not rocket science, many people wont have a problem understanding it, but its awful game design, you dont introduce mechanics during a boss fight....
Its completely immersion breaking at such an important part of the game.

No its not rocket science, many people wont have a problem understanding it, but its awful game design, you dont introduce mechanics during a boss fight....

Its only immersion breaking if you suck. Sorry you had a bad experience with
a glorified QTE sequence.

Nobody's mad here, Im just being real. Not saying the game is perfect, but lets not get mad at the game cuz your own failings at reading basic controller interface prompts and visual cues.

Its only immersion breaking if you suck. Sorry you had a bad experience with
a glorified QTE sequence.

Nobody's mad here, Im just being real. Not saying the game is perfect, but lets not get mad at the game cuz your own failings at reading basic controller interface prompts and visual cues.

lmao, yes i suck at video games, my mistake.

I'm a sucker for steelbooks.
Half a year ago I was unemployed and I remember looking at these and thinking that I wouldn't have money to buy a PS4 before UC4's release, let alone having all these beauties on my shelf.

dscn1818jhs79.jpg

Started the game today and it does look incredible. I'm so glad I had the willpower for a media blackout, everything is new to me.

It's nice how the begining is reminiscent of both UC1 and UC3.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
No. It's not.
Be perceptive and try to be somewhat on point with your reflexes. That's all there is to this fight.

Vitor711

Why is the Encounter Select option so useless? I can't recreate the E3 demo when showing the game to my flatmate because each 'section' of that sequence (the opening gun fight, the chase, the final motorcycle bit) all count as different 'encounters' and don't let you continue onto the next one.

What a great idea but awful implementation. Am I doing something wrong? There's no way that's how this works, right?

Overall great game, I'd probably rank it somewhere in the 8-9 range. Going to go for the crushing runthrough next, I don't think it'll be too difficult.

I'm doing my first playthrough on Crushing, and... it's pretty difficult.

The hard ones are the huge arenas with enemies scattered all over the place. The smaller arenas with lots of enemies are less difficult because you can thin it out quickly with some luck. I'm currently in Madagascar, and so far the hardest one has been the one right after you come out of
Avery's Grave
. Took me at least 3 hours to beat that one, and even then I had to cheese the crap out of it.

No. It's not.
Be perceptive and try to be somewhat on point with your reflexes. That's all there is to this fight.

No its legitimately bad game design, its not about if its easy or hard.
Its 101 game design stuff, you introduce the mechanic outside of danger, before you need to use it whilst in danger.
Naughty dog are surely well aware this is bad game design, my guess is they did it to hide the fact its a qte.

Floody

I'm a sucker for steelbooks.
Half a year ago I was unemployed and I remember looking at these and thinking that I wouldn't have money to buy a PS4 before UC4's release, let alone having all these beauties on my shelf.

Started the game today and it does look incredible. I'm so glad I had the willpower for a media blackout, everything is new to me.

It's nice how the begining is reminiscent of both UC1 and UC3.

I've never seen that Last of Us one, damn that's nice, other 2 are classy AF too.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
No its legitimately bad game design, its not about if its easy or hard.
Its 101 game design stuff, you introduce the mechanic outside of danger, before you need to use it whilst in danger.
Naughty dog are surely well aware this is bad game design, my guess is they did it to hide the fact its a qte.
I thought they were paying homage to MGS4 final boss fight. I enjoyed it and don't think it's bad game design. Just a different approach.

icespide

Banned
I thought they were paying homage to MGS4 final boss fight. I enjoyed it and don't think it's bad game design. Just a different approach.

the only similarity it has to the MGS4 final boss fight
is that it introduces bad new mechanics that you aren't familiar with at all

Stoze

I finished it. Overall I enjoyed it but I have some mixed feelings about it and was a tad disappointed. The game is significantly different in design and pacing then the rest of the series. That's fine, just a lot of the stuff here didn't jel with me.

Ultimately I think bigger wasn't better in this case: There was the large combat arenas with enemies too densely packed together in the center instead of more spread out to better acclimate the environment and sandbox options. The bigger and longer exploration and light platforming areas with not a lot of interesting things to find resulting in unrewarding travel and exploration. And lastly the drawn out length, which felt that way because it didn't utilize enough "puzzles" and combat scenarios to mentally stimulate me and liven up the pace. It was just a bit too mindless for me a lot of the time.

That's just an overarching complaint and feeling that I got though. There are multiple times where I thought the combat and encounter design was excellent (the jungle area shown a while back was perfect), set pieces were awesome, and the platforming is at its best here in the series thanks to intertwining grapple and sliding, as well as satisfying sections like the bell tower. I was also way more invested in the story this time around as opposed to the first two games and partially 3 where the story was relatively uninteresting to me. I liked the dialogue and character moments, though I thought there could have been witter banter and some more optional dialogue. It goes without saying that the game looks incredible, graphically the best looking game I've ever played at 1080p (or under) 30fps. I don't even understand how they cram that much good looking foliage into the game.

So yeah, that's my review I guess. I'm hesitant to place it among the other UC games, partially because it's so different and partially because I actually didn't think too highly of the games when I first played through them. It could be the same here. But my first gut reaction is that I enjoyed UC2 more, and still think TLoU is ND's magnum opus by a long shot. This game is really quite an achievement though.

Elitist1945

Concerning ending:
The controls aren't my biggest gripe with it. The close up camera is. I can't see where he's swinging from at some points and playing on Hard means I die in like 2 hits.

and its not even like it was DMC1 "you are now suddenly a demon dragon shooting thing flying through the sky" with a bunch of complex controls and shit.
The game has had several close-range melee fights, where you hit square to attack and triangle/circle were the dodges(triangle being a counter, and circle being a roll). Now two of those buttons are a different kind of dodge/counter, which they just showed you in the tutorial part of the boss with very sloooow deliberate attacks before you grab a sword and the fight really starts.

Im not saying its wonderful game design everyone should copy, but its a valid approach to an accessible cinematic action game like this, and I thought it worked quite well.

Maybe Naughty Dog can patch-in the hair moving in the wind and the lack of land animals other than birds and Lemurs (Madagascar demo, I'm looking at you)?

Also, more ocean life (sharks) would be great!

Top Bottom