• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Just for the record i actually really like the boss itself, just not okay with it regarding game design.
Its just incredibly frustrating to see something like that from naughty dog, especially when they could easily introduce this mechanic at numerous points in the game..
Could of been great when you first get to
libertalia
, or in chapter 16 come to mind.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Maybe Naughty Dog can patch-in the hair moving in the wind and the lack of land animals other than birds and Lemurs (Madagascar demo, I'm looking at you)?

There are a lot more animals than just birds and Lemurs. I have seen a deer and a jaguar, as well as a whale jump out of the ocean. I am only on Chapter 11 as well.

NeoGiff

If I use chapter select to replay a previous segment to show my brother, will it overwrite my save? I haven't finished the game yet.

bitoriginal

Man, the story and graphics are fantastic, but the gameplay is dull as dishwater. I really loathe having to have shootouts in this game. I'd probably enjoy the stealth more if there were actually some extra mechanics to explore. It's such a step back compared to the Last of Us, I'm actually finding it hard to continue.

SDCowboy

Man, the story and graphics are fantastic, but the gameplay is dull as dishwater. I really loathe having to have shootouts in this game. I'd probably enjoy the stealth more if there were actually some extra mechanics to explore. It's such a step back compared to the Last of Us, I'm actually finding it hard to continue.

What in the world...

Okay I'm at the
Libertalia
chapter and on the 2nd set of puzzles where you have to rotate orbs there is absolutely no indication of what to do. I'm stuck and I tried every combination. No hints are given so what the heck?

Kuro

Okay I'm at the Libertalia chapter and on the 2nd set of puzzles where you have to rotate orbs there is absolutely no indication of what to do. I'm stuck and I tried every combination. No hints are given so what the heck?

Took me forever. You have to count the steps it takes to move onto a rotation thing and then back the the slot. You have to account for how much it will rotate on its own once you move it. Its a pain in the ass.

I just can't understand this. I'm constantly moving, jumping over cover, meleeing, swinging on the rope while shooting, shooting while hanging, sliding down slopes while shooting, and cover is constantly getting destroyed. Unless you're very early on the shooting is the furthest thing from dull.

HarryKS

Not terribly impressed by the visual package, not particularly fond of the way stealth is treated and was not pleased with a creeping sense of repetition and superficiality in terms of interaction until after that scene where they are eating what is basically bird food ( how can people who are starving eat one slice of carrot or macaroni so slowly and peckishly ) but then the magic happened when the characters started to feel real.

Personally feel Uncharted 4 is a better interactive cinematic experience than a game.

Concerning ending:
The controls aren't my biggest gripe with it. The close up camera is. I can't see where he's swinging from at some points and playing on Hard means I die in like 2 hits.

I had no problem with camera since i was always moving about and adjusting it .

and its not even like it was DMC1 "you are now suddenly a demon dragon shooting thing flying through the sky" with a bunch of complex controls and shit.
The game has had several close-range melee fights, where you hit square to attack and triangle/circle were the dodges(triangle being a counter, and circle being a roll). Now two of those buttons are a different kind of dodge/counter, which they just showed you in the tutorial part of the boss with very sloooow deliberate attacks before you grab a sword and the fight really starts.

Im not saying its wonderful game design everyone should copy, but its a valid approach to an accessible cinematic action game like this, and I thought it worked quite well.

Would it have been to much to ask for left/right block to be mapped to left/right triggers?

I don't feel so. It was a better boss fight for me personally, than the one against Talbot in UC3, but the controls should've been different.

There are a lot more animals than just birds and Lemurs. I have seen a deer and a jaguar, as well as a whale jump out of the ocean. I am only on Chapter 11 as well.

I meant the huge herd of wildebeasts (or whatever they are) in the middle of the savannah in one of the Uncharted 4 trailers.

Where are they?

Just into chapter 18 and I'm really not finding myself agreeing with all the 10/10 reviews. Gameplay just doesn't get me excited that often in single player. The mechanics work so well in multiplayer though so I don't regret the purchase.

Floody

I meant the huge herd of wildebeasts (or whatever they are) in the middle of the savannah in one of the Uncharted 4 trailers.

Where are they?

I saw a couple of them in M
adagascar
, couldn't get close to them though as they ran as I started to approach. Also seen pigs, goats, chickens, lemurs, 2 turtles, a bunch of frogs, birds and a lot of fish.

I saw a couple of them in M
adagascar
, couldn't get close to them though as they ran as I started to approach. Also seen pigs, goats, chickens, lemurs, 2 turtles, a bunch of frogs, birds and a lot of fish.

Well I'll be on the lookout for more animals now! Maybe the inevitable PS4K/Neo version will have more wildlife and hair that moves lol!

This game deserves a ton of credit for actually making the treasure hunt storyline interesting and mysterious throughout. I have never really cared for any of the actual treasure hunt parts of UC2. They were really just a backdrop for good character interactions. With this one I was actually interested to see where it would go and they characterized Avery really well without him having a second on screen.

AGREED, wasn't really too into past treasure hunt stories but here? Im fascinated.

Elitist1945

So since I'm essentially done (at
the final boss fight
) I thought I'd share some opinions:

The game is definitely great. I'd probably give it a 10/10. My biggest problem with it though is you can really feel the influences from TLOU, and while that may not be a bad thing because TLOU is my favorite game of all time, sometimes it just has UC4 feeling...not like Uncharted. I've been trying to compare UC4 to the others and think about where this one lays, and the bottom line is, I can't compare it the other Uncharted's because its just so different.

So, verdict: 10/10; hard to compare it to the other Uncharted games.

I hope that made sense. I really love(d) it.

m4st4

Finished the game on Moderate and won my first online match, this game is a miracle, loved it, especially those final 5-6 chapters (including the boss fight, which was insanely cinematic and tight imo).

Gonna continue playing multi for a while then jump into harder difficulties and treasure hunting.

What a game, thank you Naughty Dog, you did it again.

Anung

Un Rama
Finished it last night. It feels like such a do-over of the mediocrity that was Uncharted 3 and for my money is the ending the series deserves. Game looks incredible (obviously) and the detail is nuts considering the scale of most levels. Combat pacing is probably the best the series has had thanks to weapon feed back being so much better and the ability to avoid combat via stealth makes it stand out in a series where. Glad they added a bit more nuance to the climbing and exploring.

The story hits all the right notes and I loved Rafe and Nadine as antagonists.

Criticisms are mainly the story game-play pacing seems a little lopsided. While the game takes a lot of influence from The Last of Us in positive ways the one way that stood out to me as suspect is the over-reliance on one puzzle element. LOU loved Palette and ladders and this game loves crates with wheels. Combat starts over staying it's welcome near the end when fully armored sponges rear their ugly heads. Naughty Dog just couldn't help themselves

But yeah, loved it and I'm itching to play it again and explore some more as I missed a tone of optional dialogue and treasure.

UC2 > UC4 > UC1 > UC3

EDIT: I really want TLOU 2 now.

XaosWolf

Just finished it and loved it. Only downsides were the bullet sponge enemies towards the end (Why is a helmet stopping me from snapping your neck, Shotgun Guy) and some dumb stuff they took from TLOU. (Palette moving and invisible buddies)

Regarding the final boss fight:
I was gonna be pissed if they DIDN'T have a sword fight in this pirate-based adventure.

Was so glad when Nadine took our guns and I knew what was coming =D

I feel like the 'slow' complaints wouldn't be as common if people new how long the game was. When I was playing I was just like 'Okay, let's get going I want the game to get started because I'm on chapter 5 and it's still slow, I'm getting too far into the game at this point.'

But it is a slow grind, you will be more than satisfied by the end. The slow opening is really great in retrospect with how long the game is.

m4st4

Just finished it and loved it. Only downsides were the bullet sponge enemies towards the end (Why is a helmet stopping me from snapping your neck, Shotgun Guy) and some dumb stuff they took from TLOU. (Palette moving and invisible buddies)

Regarding the final boss fight:
I was gonna be pissed if they DIDN'T have a sword fight in this pirate-based adventure.

Was so glad when Nadine took our guns and I knew what was coming =D

I couldn't believe my own eyes -
actual sword fight!
Not to mention how great it all looked, like playing a well made summer blockbuster movie.

Favourite aspect of the game (especially later on): you can totally feel the love between Nate and Elena through the smallest things. Great motion-capture and performances.

Kule

Finished the game earlier and generally liked it but other than the amazing graphics I was hoping for something more from the gameplay following tlou.
Where possible I tried to play full stealth and I really missed having an ability to make a noise or throw stones to distract guards. The fights closer to the end were also a little frustrating with the grenade happy a.i and the removal of the grenade throw back prompt.

Other than that it was a great experience and I look forward to what ND does next.

Neiteio

I'm only at the start of Ch. 6, but I really like the pacing so far. This game feels much smarter than the previous titles in the series.

I feel like the 'slow' complaints wouldn't be as common if people new how long the game was. When I was playing I was just like 'Okay, let's get going I want the game to get started because I'm on chapter 5 and it's still slow, I'm getting too far into the game at this point.'

But it is a slow grind, you will be more than satisfied by the end. The slow opening is really great in retrospect with how long the game is.

Yea my complaints about the opening minimized when I saw how much meat I had left although I still contend they could have made the first few chapters paced better. I'm done with 8-11? Does it get better than this because I was blown away?

Just played through the E3 sequence.....

Wow. Didn't even realize how much you could do in it until I failed once and tried other stuff. Insane

If you're talking about the boat part, I agree with you. It's kind of disorienting because after that it goes way back and then way forward in time. Weird opener, but still fun to play. Would have preferred they just start right in the orphanage.

Yes the boat part. I didn't wanna outright say it because spoilers or whatever. The orphanage and the sections afterward are immediately much better. But those first five minutes on the boat have to be worst intro in any of the Uncharted games.

Top Bottom