• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 street date broken as thieves steal copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigolo

Depends on the publisher, the game, etc. Some publishers are great and get us the game 2-3 weeks early; others won't send us a copy until the day before. It really depends. Once in a while a publisher like Atlus will send us codes two months before release which is always fantastic.

Do ya'll have bad blood with ND or something

Depends on the publisher, the game, etc. Some publishers are great and get us the game 2-3 weeks early; others won't send us a copy until the day before. It really depends. Once in a while a publisher like Atlus will send us codes two months before release which is always fantastic.

I thought Sony was one of the publishers that send copies a week or two before release ?

Two weeks without even noticing a spoiler is going to be damned near impossible. You always get those fools who think they're being obscure but give something away to people who are a little more perceptive.

I am actually angry about this.

I especially hate the people who read spoilers than post a 'prediction' like they think people don't see straight through it.

DKHF

It's out in just two weeks, how long do you guys usually get to review games? I know there are exceptions such as Star Fox Zero which some reviewers don't need to play at all, but I'd imagine mostly everyone is eager to review Uncharted 4.
IIRC media got Fallout 4 10 days before release (as an example of a recent AAA game), so if they get it this week it wouldn't be that unusual.

NateDrake

Do ya'll have bad blood with ND or something

Nothing to do with ND or Kotaku/any outlet relationship. Sony is random with when they send out review copies. Ideally, we get a game 2 weeks ahead of release, or at least a week prior to the embargo lift. Sony isn't a stranger to sending a game out on Friday and lifting the review embargo on the following Tuesday.

Uncharted 4 is frustrating because we don't know when review copies are going out and now retail leaks are happening. I could see copies being received later this week.

Sega sent VC Remaster for PS4 review code out in March and the game releases in May.

oti

Banned

Nintendo is also getting better and better with each game. Lots of time to review the games properly. But their NDAs are some of the more... special ones.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Sony shouldn't have shipped out retail copies to stores so early. They should have started this week as opposed to stores already having them.

IIRC media got Fallout 4 10 days before release (as an example of a recent AAA game), so if they get it this week it wouldn't be that unusual.

Wasn't that game pretty long? 10 days to play it and write a review? lol. I really need to stop looking into game reviews that much, and I don't mean that toward the actual reviewers, who can be good and intellectual people. I just don't see how anyone could feasibly play through and review something like that in that time.

Are there any odds for Naughty Dog saying ... "Fuck it" and just releasing it to everybody early? It seems like I remember Gamestop saying that they only break street date if somebody else does it first and it is known.

Weird, as I got an email this morning from Amazon (US) that my pre-order date has changed and will now arrive by May 10th.

Can publishers go after these retailers for breaking the release date or its just ok for them to break release dates? Sony must be pissed about it.

I especially hate the people who read spoilers than post a 'prediction' like they think people don't see straight through it.

Or when they use tags in this way

I can't believe that
name
shows up here, that's just crazy. I can't wait to get my hands on the game and play that whole section with
name

Can publishers go after these retailers for breaking the release date or its just ok for them to break release dates? Sony must be pissed about it.
The fact that people are so eager to play this game ASAP should make them very happy IMHO...

Would they prefer it if Uncharted wasn't so popular and nobody cared about playing it earlier? ;)

I'm here to inform that in São Paulo - Brazil no major retailer has received the game.

I've double checked with most of the stores and the most acurate says they are going to receive copies 3 days before the launch.

Keep it classy guys, no spoilers.

Are there any odds for Naughty Dog saying ... "Fuck it" and just releasing it to everybody early? It seems like I remember Gamestop saying that they only break street date if somebody else does it first and it is known.

It happens, but no one has broken street date right now. No one from Amazon has received the game, the copies floating about are from other countries. They won't do an early release unless a big retailer or online distributor starts sending them out in the US.

Alienous

It's not up to Naughty Dog. If they had their way the game would be releasing today.

It would be a Sony decision, and business-wise probably not a smart one. They would diffuse their sales over the next two weeks instead of having the big global launch they've been planning and marketing for (May 10th). It could result in them losing sales accolades, like "biggest day one sales". I imagine it's also a logistics nightmare.

FelipeMGM

I'm expecting review code and have been treated with silence so far - US based. EU outlets may very well have review copies as they do get access ahead of us at times.

That's concerning and leading me to believe we will see review copies arrive on Thursday or Friday of this week.

Yeah, it just happened with Alienation where European outlets got the game way before American outlets it seems. Of course its a European game, so that might have something to do it.

SammyB from Push Square (UK) is on Gaf all the time, maybe he can get that out of the way for us. Wonder where the thing about beeing sent since last week started from, I read from both Nibel and zsynqx so I sure believe it.

I'm here to inform that in São Paulo - Brazil no major retailer has received the game.

I've double checked with most of the stores and the most acurate says they are going to receive copies 3 days before the launch.

Keep it classy guys, no spoilers.

huh, people are saying that in Santa Efigenia they should have it this week. But who knows, people like to gossip here am I right? ;)

Hanmik

Yeah, it just happened with Alienation where European outlets got the game way before American outlets it seems. Of course its a European game, so that might have something to do it.

SammyB from Push Square (UK) is on Gaf all the time, maybe he can get that out of the way for us. Wonder where the thing about beeing sent since last week started from, I read from both Nibel and zsynqx so I sure believe it.

No EU site which I know of have a copy yet. My pr said we should expect it soon..

foxbeldin

FWIW a big Uncharted/playstation youtuber says he is getting a review copy in 3 days. He definitely is legit.

i can confirm press is getting the game at the end of the week according to my sources.

As for the jeuxvideomagazine image, they already stated on their facebook that the date they printed on it was pure speculation and the review would come at a later date. (i heard the 5th or 6th)

zsynqx

i can confirm press is getting the game at the end of the week according to my sources.

As for the jeuxvideomagazine image, they already stated on their facebook that the date they printed on it was pure speculation and the review would come at a later date. (i heard the 5th or 6th)

Okay, so that gives the press a good 5/6 days with the game before the embargo lifts.

huh, people are saying that in Santa Efigenia they should have it this week. But who knows, people like to gossip here am I right? ;)

Just like I said, major retailers (like Saraiva, FNAC, Submarino). Santa Efigenia is big, but very informal.

Although.... is a very good place to bet to order before day 1, I got my The Witcher 3 1 week before there =) . I'll keep looking, would love to play this weekend (no exams, no plans on friday, seems a good weekend to play).

Wasn't that game pretty long? 10 days to play it and write a review? lol. I really need to stop looking into game reviews that much, and I don't mean that toward the actual reviewers, who can be good and intellectual people. I just don't see how anyone could feasibly play through and review something like that in that time.

Pretty sure press had a bit longer than ten days with Fallout 4. A few press chums (me also being press) had Fallout 4 as far out as two weeks. Certainly wasn't less than ten days anyways.

FelipeMGM

Just like I said, major retailers (like Saraiva, FNAC, Submarino). Santa Efigenia is big, but very informal.

Although.... is a very good place to bet to order before day 1, I got my The Witcher 3 1 week before there =) . I'll keep looking, would love to play this weekend (no exams, no plans on friday, seems a good weekend to play).

Yeah, Im in BH but also get the games earlier sometimes. But not this early lol. Usually is something like in the friday before the tuesday release or something like that. Most stores buy their games from NC (the distributor) so there is not much window for them to break street dates

NateDrake

For which region? US or PAL? Outlets, depending the region, could still get the game at different times - meaning later this week or early next week.

jeffram

Do we have confirmation of anyone actually receiving it from Amazon?

There has always been a few retailers in EU that sell before release date.

zsynqx

Do we have confirmation of anyone actually receiving it from Amazon?

There has always been a few retailers in EU that sell before release date.

Everyone in this thread who had an amazon pre-order scheduled for today got an email a couple of hours ago reflecting the new release date. Was probably just a glitch in their system.

So far the only confirmed leak is from stores in the UK. Expect more leaks in the coming days though.

Peterthumpa

Checked my local Best Buy here in Vancouver, release date is the same as always, no surprises.

jeffram

Everyone in this thread who had an amazon pre-order scheduled for today got an email a couple of hours ago reflecting the new release date. Was probably just a glitch in their system.

So far the only confirmed leak is from stores in the UK. Expect more leaks in the coming days though.
Thanks. So business as usual then.

Boke1879

Doubtful. only small time retailers will sell it to people before release. Usually happens with big releases and I'm shocked many in this thread are acting like this is a special case and expecting ND to just say "fuck it"

That said based on a few posts it doesn't even seem like they've hit retail yet. I'd expect it over the weekend or early next week though.

My brother came back from Gamestop this morning and said he saw Uncharted 4 behind the counter. He asked them about it and they told him they can't sell it until the 10th. Now, this would be the actual game and not a case right?? He said it was right behind the glass.

This was in NJ.

NateDrake

My brother came back from Gamestop this morning and said he saw Uncharted 4 behind the counter. He asked them about it and they told him they can't sell it until the 10th. Now, this would be the actual game and not a case right?? He said it was right behind the glass.

This was in NJ.

Should be the actual game if it were behind the glass.

Rudiano

Banned
lol @ everyone saying ND should release it early now, I hope they do not...you Americans get 90% of games before the UK, even had Ratchet & Clank 10 days before us. It seems a lot of these early leaks are from the UK so how about you people wait for a change? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom