• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

Wish I had the chance to play these games again for the first time! Enjoy it!
I will admit to seeing some of Uncharted 1 when a friend and I bought it from Gamestop and played it on his PS3. I remember helping him beat some rope swinging section lol. But that's all I can remember, everything else is a blur.

Ibuki

Banned
Having only dabbled in the 3 games (and a lot of UC3's multiplayer) I am super excited to play through the whole series. Long day of work tomorrow, but I have the next day off to play. Hope everyone who picks up or downloads it tonight has a blast!

I just finished Drake's Fortune for the first time and I loved it, I did it on normal and even that got pretty hard towards the end, I died a lot. I would give it a solid 8/10 and if that's the worst of the three then the others must be incredible.

Big spoiler:

I really wasn't expecting nazi zombies, they just came out of nowhere. I learned the art of run and gun against those bastards.

I will be starting Among Thieves tomorrow and I can't wait as most people say it's the best one.

Couldn't resist playing a little bit of #2, only the first 2 chapters though. I will delve into it properly tomorrow. After finishing #1 in basically one sitting I know I'm going to plough through this collection and be hungry for more. It was one of the reasons I bought a PS4 in the first place and it hasn't let me down.

Loving the impressions man, keep them coming!

A lot of the fun is in the challenge of the harder shooting scenario's, where you're forced to play better, be more tactical, exercise better aim, mobility, cover etc. If you're playing on easy, it's going to seem like a tiresome and monotonous slog, with no challenge or threat what-so-ever.

Well, I did not find the shooting much fun when I was playing on hard. It was just as monotonous as playing on easy is to me. But I will keep playing. I'm sure it gets better and more refined when I get to the latter parts.

Well, I did not find the shooting much fun when I was playing on hard. It was just as monotonous as playing on easy is to me. But I will keep playing. I'm sure it gets better and more refined when I get to the latter parts.

Uncharted 1 may just not be your thing. 2 changes the game up in some great ways. I hope you enjoy that one at least. If you don't enjoy 2, you won't find much to enjoy in 3. Maybe just not the game for you in the end.

Uncharted 1 may just not be your thing. 2 changes the game up in some great ways. I hope you enjoy that one at least. If you don't enjoy 2, you won't find much to enjoy in 3. Maybe just not the game for you in the end.

Yeah. Well, I'm going to play it through and see for myself. I did enjoy TLoU (mostly for the narrative, though), so I'd think I'll find some things to enjoy in Uncharted.

Bowdz

Uncharted 2 is nuts, no i mean NUTS. Has to be my favorite game of all time no doubts its just too damn good.

Chapter 22 didnt remember everything, im having a blast, the graphics are still so good so gooooood.

I couldn't agree more. It is the only game I have ever played where I immediately start up another playthrough after beating it. It is like crack. Everything about it is masterful from beginning to end. I'm so goddamn excited for tomorrow!

Oh man. I didn't know there was no multiplayer in this. Uncharted 2 is probably my favorite game of last generation, and my favorite multiplayer experience. My disappointment is through the roofs. Oh well, I'll still buy it, and enjoy it throughly. Just thought I was going to be playing U2 multiplayer until Uncharted 4 came out.

Great OT. Makes me miss making Uncharted 2's OT.

What happened to you, man? You stopped posting in the U2 OT and then stopped playing MP shortly after it came out as well!

B-Dex

Don't forget to grab "The Nathan Drake Pack" if you pre-ordered it on PSN. Get instant gold pistol and AK as well as a couple skins. It didn't auto download it for me.

jediyoshi

Aw yiss photomode

lrSDuik.jpg

lXmTWhQ.jpg

stryke

Yeah. Well, I'm going to play it through and see for myself. I did enjoy TLoU (mostly for the narrative, though), so I'd think I'll find some things to enjoy in Uncharted.

Don't force yourself to like UC1, it's not that great. However please force yourself to like UC2 because it's the best :)

Ah, screw it. I have a hard time thinking about getting this or Dragon Quest Heroes but after reading impression from you guys, I think i will get this. I only played GA before so i hope my decision is good, don't disappoint me ND and Bluepoint :p

This will never cease to amaze me. It's hinted at multiple times throughout the entire game. Off the top of my head:

- At the end of the jetski section
- While they're walking through the forest soon after, Elena says "Would you slow down? One of Eddie's goons could be here!" and there is a cutscene a few seconds later
- In the large underground puzzle room with the swinging lanterns and pulleys and chains system (there is an L2 hint and you see it in the distance)

But somehow, people are still surprised by the reveal, and some use this surprise to form a negative opinion about the game/story. It could not have been more obvious!
I'm hindsight is incredibly obvious, but in early 2008 when I first played it just because it's a Naughty Dog game with no research what so ever, it caught me extremely of guard. Especially with how life like the story telling felt, didn't seem like they were going to play THAT card.

I liked it though, no negative.

stryke

Huh never realised it was actually Josh Scherr on that newspaper

YjK3WHm.png

Then again, texture quality was probably too crappy to see it back on ps3.

Audette

BB got my copy to me early. Platinum'd Drake's Fortune today after pulling an all nighter. Luckily you don't have to do brutal to do the platinum.

Game runs great but Uncharted 1 is much more floaty in the character movement than I remembered. Most likely because I've been doing so much Metal Gear. Anyways excited to dive into Among Thieves tomorrow. I would probably die if didnt go to bed now.

Don't force yourself to like UC1, it's not that great. However please force yourself to like UC2 because it's the best :)

I'm not going to force myself to anything. I'll let the games themselves do the talking. :)

And it's not like I'm hating UC1. I have heard a lot of praise for the series and I want to see how things develop from here.

Alo0oy

Banned
Drake's fortune plays better than I remember, the melee is still terrible in that game, but the overall gameplay held up pretty well all things considered.

JohngPR

Unlocked digitally with no issues and played up until Chapter 4 - Plane Wrecked.

They definitely tweaked the shooting mechanics because I remember thinking how antiquated they felt playing it on PS3 a few years back and it feels good compared to the original. I played UC1 a ton...I platinum'd it before PS3 had trophies. :(

Here's some screenshots I took:

Don't forget to grab "The Nathan Drake Pack" if you pre-ordered it on PSN. Get instant gold pistol and AK as well as a couple skins. It didn't auto download it for me.

Does anyone know if this comes in the box or is it printed on receipt for preorders?

just played for a little bit, UC1's environments look so damn good, hard to believe the game originally came out almost ten years ago.

BB got my copy to me early. Platinum'd Drake's Fortune today after pulling an all nighter. Luckily you don't have to do brutal to do the platinum.

Game runs great but Uncharted 1 is much more floaty in the character movement than I remembered. Most likely because I've been doing so much Metal Gear. Anyways excited to dive into Among Thieves tomorrow. I would probably die if didnt go to bed now.

Is preorder code in the box or emailed to you?

kyser73

Missed 1 the first time around and am loving it so far. Some of the animations are clunky but the climbing & shooting are good fun.

Looking forward to a proper session tonight.

Loving the first time impressions. Especially the people who are enjoying UC1. I did too the first time around but man, the jump from UC1 to UC2 is massive.

just played for a little bit, UC1's environments look so damn good, hard to believe the game originally came out almost ten years ago.

That's what I'm thinking. The game looks and plays a lot better than I remember. Such a nice surprise so far and I honestly don't even miss any better graphics. Can't wait to see how good the sequels will look.

B-Dex

I really want to plat these 3 this time. But crushing is making me loathe the encounter design. Probably why I didn't bother on PS3.

hamchan

I really want to plat these 3 this time. But crushing is making me loathe the encounter design. Probably why I didn't bother on PS3.

If you can get through UC1 crushing then you'll be good since UC2 and UC3 crushing are way easier in comparison.

Makikou

Well here i go with the first one:

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

So i have never watched a single gameplay sequence of Uncharted, i've never played a single Uncharted game. I knew nothing about the game, characters, gameplay or story.
Here are my first thoughts during the 61% of the game..

Story:
The beginning was so interested until the first enemy encounter on the boat. I found it quite jarring and this will continue be a theme so far in the game. I think the pacing is quite a ways off in the game. Both in the story side and the balance of amount/length of shooting vs. platforming/climbing places.

Also.. is there a story other than "Treasure! Let's go! Oh no bad guys! Follow the trail of bad guys!" ? I hope they can improve on this a lot when i get to Uncharted 2 / 3.
It's also very conflicting that it's so light hearted and yet you have to kill so much people. Just.. it's weird as hell, man. But then again, loads of people get killed in eg. The Expendables 2 and i just brush it off like it's nothing so..

Shooting:
It's boring. Worse than Order 1886. The 9mm pistol seems to have much more killing potential than the AK-47 which is kinda silly too. M4 is a lot better than the AK but atleast for now, i haven't seen it appear too much.

Graphics & Atmosphere:
Being the first Uncharted game and early in the life of PS3, it looks relatively good for it's age. Everything is very flat though and it really kills the atmosphere. Flat colours, flat textures, flat everything. Doesn't surprise me though and i wasn't expecting a looker here so i'm okay with it.

So um.. also you have these collectibles called Treasures which are basically just names and icons on a list. Why not make them actually unique and maybe have some "lore" or historical facts on them like in the Tomb Raider reboot? Now the only incentive to collect them seems to be art/skins/trophies.

Which brings me to trophies btw. Utter trash! What is this, get kills with each weapon. Headshots, speedruns, collect bazillion treasures.. Ehh. :(

Will probably finish Drake's Fortune tomorrow and look forward to Uncharted 2 during weekend/next week. I wish they could pad out the story and lore a bit more.

EDIT: So far i'd give the game a 7+. It's not in the area of 7½ or 8- yet. Hopefully it'll tense up a bit more.

EDIT 2: Music in the game is just completely meh in my opinion. There hasn't been a piece yet that would grab my attention and i've been just sloughing it forward. Almost tempted to put Spotify on but that wouldn't be fair for the game!

Okay guys! Finished Drake's Fortune.

Let me start off that i actually started to enjoy the characters toward the end of the game. But i didn't like some of the encounters towards the end at all. It forced me to play in a very certain way and i didn't like it at all.

First off, the waterjet/scooter (?) sections were awful and now i hate that with passion. Ugh. But it does get both better and worse from there so!

Well, off you go for the search of the actual treasure instead of just trying to survive. I have to say that chapters 13 to 17 were the best the game offered for me with a secondary nomination to chapter 3. There was enjoyable platforming and the encounters weren't as ruthless in bad design as they get after Chapter 18..

After chapter 18, you get to the
generator room which is pretty bullshit. Tons of enemies, and when you get the electricity on.. I kept killing the monsters because at first i didn't realize i can just run through the door until i looked it up on IGN walkthrough guide.
so yeah. Didn't like that part at all and the way those enemies force you to fight them just feels bad in the game itself.

I think the ending in Chapters 21 & 22 was quite anti-climactic, with in Chapter 21
Roman opening the statue and getting cursed and Navarro just executing him.. making Navarro the final "boss" of the game in an encounter that was at first a practice in frustration. Whose idea was it that you have to do the first part of the ship with a god damn shotgun? And whose idea was it to have Navarro's pistol as one hit kill..

Well okay, i still enjoyed the game. This post will sound quite negative and i'll have to add that from my first impressions on Page 4 (as quoted), i said i'd give the game a 7+.. Well i'd say just a 7 now.

EDIT: http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/3938-Uncharted-Drakes-Fortune-Remastered/Makikou72 trophies i got when i simply played through the game.
Oh well, onto the next one!

Just finished U1 chapter 11, so far it bored me as fuck. Hoping U2 will deliver like everyone said

Damn, I didn't realize U1 could bore holes into people as they played. How far has it bored into you now that you're on ch. 11? I'm guessing pretty far if it bored you as fuck!

Went back and forth on this one and decided to pick it up while I'm at work. Thought I was being crafty and setting my PS4 to download it so it would be waiting for me when I get home.

z6tp49C.jpg

Boo-urns.

The first is pretty damn challenging on Crushing, the hardest of the three imo. AI is pretty good as well, they duck, they flank, they flush you out with grenades, they rush you., the works.

It's pretty good combat, but the first doesn't have the more expansive and vertical combat bowls of 2 and 3 and gives you far less combat abilities for Drake, so it feels more limited and less dynamic.

The first is pretty damn challenging on Crushing, the hardest of the three imo. AI is pretty good as well, they duck, they flank, they flush you out with grenades, they rush you., the works.

It's pretty good combat, but the first doesn't have the more expansive and vertical combat bowls of 2 and 3 and gives you far less combat abilities for Drake, so it feels more limited and less dynamic.

this. One thing that i thought gunplay in U1 (at least up to Ch.11 since i haven't finished it yet) so bad compare to what i played in U2 demo is vertical combat. Level design in U1 doesn't allow me to do that and stealth is close to non-exist.

antitrop

It's been 8 months since I've actually even touched a third-person shooter (The Order 1886), so I think I'll start with Hard, instead of Crushing.

Drake's Fortune is the only one in the series I've actually finished, but it was in 2007, so I've forgotten everything about it.

Top Bottom