• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

iratA

Uncharted 1 has come up a real treat! The aiming feels so much smoother thanks to the tweaks. This collection is highly recommended if you want to enjoy the entire Trilogy one after the other.

WGMBY

I'm out of town for the weekend, but I think I'll pick this up once I'm back. I've played all of them, the 2nd one multiple times, but it will still be nice to revisit these games.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm not sure what the semantics of the moment are about these things, but I really think Uncharted games in this collection are remakes. From what I've see so far in UDF, almost every single asset, shader, texture and visual effect seems to be replaced, or touched up. It's just that in all the replacing and touching up, the overall look of the original is carefully preserved so that it doesn't look like entirely new game (unlike new Gears remake for example). Furthermore, core gameplay systems have even been changed to some degree (aiming and control responsiveness in particular is really not the same as before). Compare that to a GoW3 remaster which uses all the same assets and everything and just runs at higher resolution and framerate on PS4. I have yet to play the other two games, but that's what I've seen so far in UDF.

I'm not sure what the logic would be for someone trying to argue against this, but I'd like to see opposing point of view. Does a game need to look completely different to be considered a remake? Why? I mean they have clearly re-made just about everything in this game.

zsynqx

I'm not sure what the semantics of the moment are about these things, but I really think Uncharted games in this collection are remakes. From what I've see so far in UDF, almost every single asset, shader, texture and visual effect seems to be replaced, or touched up. It's just that in all the replacing and touching up, the overall look of the originals is carefully preserved so they don't look like entirely new games (unlike new Gears remake for example). Furthermore, core gameplay systems have even been changed to some degree (aiming and control responsiveness in particular is really not the same as before). Compare that to a GoW3 remaster which uses all the same assets and everything and just runs at higher resolution and framerate on PS4.

I'm not sure what the logic would be for someone trying to argue against this, but I'd like to see opposing point of view. Does a game need to look completely different to be considered a remake? Why? I mean they have clearly re-made just about everything in these games.

The gameplay changes are minimal in the larger scheme of things. There were tweaks in difficulty and aiming and the 60fps is a large bonus but the base is still very much the same. I would say this puts most remastered games to shame. Bluepoint did good.

But it is remastered as it is building on stuff which is already there rather than from scratch

MAX PAYMENT

Does this game require an install?

I just popped the game in, and it says I can play it now.. but like every other game, it doesn't give me any indication that it's installing.

I don't want to boot the game too early and make the game non-functional like EVERYONE other time I've tried to start a game in the middle of it installing. So fucking annoying.

antitrop

I just popped the game in, and it says I can play it now.. but like every other game, it doesn't give me any indication that it's installing.

I don't want to boot the game too early and make the game non-functional like EVERYONE other time I've tried to start a game in the middle of it installing. So fucking annoying.

Yes, but it's fast. When I first started the game, I had to wait for about 30 seconds before Drake's Fortune was done installing before it would let me start a New Game.

When you select New Game, it should give you a percentage and a countdown.

Dominator

Uncharted 1 is still as good as I remember. I was worried my feelings for it were being overshadowed by how good it actually is, but nope it's great.

Best collection so far for me. Gonna go through on Normal, then Crusing, and then Easy for the treasures for each game. Brutal after everything if I think I can do it lol

zsynqx

I'm not gunna pretend I can tell the future,
I can
, but I reckon you are going to hate this collection.

I'm not sure what the semantics of the moment are about these things, but I really think Uncharted games in this collection are remakes. Almost every single asset, shader, texture and visual effect seems to be replaced, or touched up. It's just that in all the replacing and touching up, the overall look of the originals is carefully preserved so they don't look like entirely new games (unlike new Gears remake for example). Furthermore, core gameplay systems have even been changed to some degree (aiming and control responsiveness in particular is really not the same as before). Compare that to a GoW3 remaster which uses all the same assets and everything and just runs at higher resolution and framerate on PS4.

I'm not sure what the logic would be for someone trying to argue against this, but I'd like to see opposing point of view. Does a game need to look completely different to be considered a remake? Why? I mean they have clearly re-made just about everything in these games.

"Remake" applied to games the way it's been used for years in the film industry should mean a completely new game made from the ground up that does everything the original did but isn't built on top of the same source code of the originals. Think Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty!. Most of what we've been getting are remasters, most correctly named as such (even the bad ones because lord knows there have been bad movie remasters as well). Gears and Uncharted walk the line between the two terms, but even with all the replacing, resolution boosts, and slight gameplay fixes/additions, being built on the same engine foundations disqualifies either from being called remakes.

zsynqx

One might say the controls were...... Remastered

tada.gif

cyba89

Finished the first game. I'm new to the series. It was enjoyable with some good parts, but also with a lot of tedious arena battles. While especially the middle part was cool the last few chapters
(starting when the zombies appear)
were kinda bad.
Did not like how scripted the final encounter was.

I have to say it was better then I expected before (I even considered skipping it), but nothing really great. I'm now excited for Uncharted 2 to learn what all the "masterpiece"-fuzz is about.

Dundar

Guys, i'm really having some troubles appreciating U1. I did not play U1 on ps3, but my concerns basically amount to 3 things:

- autoplatforming, length of jumps is decided on the spot, this brings many situations where you die because no "jump situation" was coded in
- this is by far the most important to me, left stick sensivity is too low, basically half its movement is inside a dead zone. Moving Nate starts only halfway through. I hate every form of dead zone or input lag, and this is simply unbearable to me
- combat arenas and pacing of the story. After the first 2 hours story has basically become unexistant, making the game a succession of combat arenas, without real set pieces except
jeep/jet-ski sequences.
Dunno, was expecting more on the storyline front

maybe my expectations were too much? should i expect better in U2-3? is the dead zone fixed in subsequent games? I was really looking forward to this collection, i'm a bit disappointed as of now.

catspit

I have played all three games in the past and because there is no Multiplayer I was thinking about just jumping jnto crushing difficulty. (Never played that difficulty) anyone have tips for crushing ?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The gameplay changes are minimal in the larger scheme of things.
Afaik, there were zero gameplay changes in Gears remake (I read that it was running on the same exact underlying game logic and they didn't want to mess with it) but all the visuals were re-done.

zsynqx

Finished the first game. I'm new to the series. It was enjoyable with some good parts, but also with a lot of tedious arena battles. While especially the middle part was cool the last few chapters
were kinda bad.

I have to say it was better then I expected before (I even considered skipping it), but nothing really great. I'm now excited for Uncharted 2 to learn what all the "masterpiece"-fuzz is about.

I would say, having been playing through it for a while now; masterpiece for 2009, great game for 2015 if you know what I mean. Over half way through it currently and having a blast.

MAX PAYMENT

Yes, but it's fast. When I first started the game, I had to wait for about 30 seconds before Drake's Fortune was done installing before it would let me start a New Game.

When you select New Game, it should give you a percentage and a countdown.

Usually that just means you can play while the game is installing, not necessarily that it's finished instlling. My issues always arise from when I try to play while installing. It messes up the install and I have to delete and try to reinstall.

This happened for me with mgsv, among many other games.

Loudninja

Guys, i'm really having some troubles appreciating U1. I did not play U1 on ps3, but my concerns basically amount to 3 things:

- autoplatforming, length of jumps is decided on the spot, this brings many situations where you die because no "jump situation" was coded in
- this is by far the most important to me, left stick sensivity is too low, basically half its movement is inside a dead zone. Moving Nate starts only halfway through. I hate every form of dead zone or input lag, and this is simply unbearable to me
- combat arenas and pacing of the story. After the first 2 hours story has basically become unexistant, making the game a succession of combat arenas, without real set pieces except
jeep/jet-ski sequences.

maybe my expectations were too much? should i expect better in U2-3? is the dead zone fixed in subsequent games? I was really looking forward to this collection, i'm a bit disappointed as of now.
What chapter are you on?

MAX PAYMENT

I think you will hate this collection as you were not a fan of the originals right? So I don't think the remastered will change your mind. Sorry if that came off weirdly, I hope you do enjoy it though :)

I like 2. They're roller coaster rides with absolutely 0 replay value. Like an over the top action movie, sometimes it's fun to just turn off your brain and watch.

were kinda bad.

Don't go into it with "masterpiece" in your head. I know it's hard, but you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Nearly every set-piece heavy linear game since 2007 has drawn from 2 games: Call of Duty 4 and Uncharted 2. If you're a fan of these kinds of games, you've played many mediocre attempts at doing some of the things you're about to see in Uncharted 2 so you might come out of it not very impressed. Just enjoy the ride and forget about all this masterpiece stuff

- combat arenas and pacing of the story. After the first 2 hours story has basically become unexistant, making the game a succession of combat arenas, without real set pieces except jeep/jet-ski sequences. Dunno, was expecting more on the storyline front

It can't be overstated how much of a jump U2 was. There's a small group of people who like U1 better, but the majority recognizes U2 as a big improvement from the first title in every way. Encounter design and pacing in particular are much stronger, so much so that Uncharted 3 actually feels like a step back in both respects. Keep playing.

EDIT: I'll just add that the Uncharted 3 comment at the end is my own personal opinion and there many people who would dispute me on that even though they are totally and completely utterly wrong.

Don't go into it with "masterpiece" in your head. I know it's hard, but you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Nearly every set-piece heavy linear game since 2007 has drawn from 2 games: Call of Duty 4 and Uncharted 2. If you're a fan of these kinds of games, you've played many mediocre attempts at doing some of the things you're about to see in Uncharted 2 so you might come out of it not very impressed. Just enjoy the ride and forget about all this masterpiece stuff.

Pretty much.

Loudninja

Don't go into it with "masterpiece" in your head. I know it's hard, but you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Nearly every set-piece heavy linear game since 2007 has drawn from 2 games: Call of Duty 4 and Uncharted 2. If you're a fan of these kinds of games, you've played many mediocre attempts at doing some of the things you're about to see in Uncharted 2 so you might come out of it not very impressed. Just enjoy the ride and forget about all this masterpiece stuff

It can't be understated how much of a jump U2 was. There's a small group of people who like U1 better, but the majority recognizes U2 as a big improvement from the first title in every way. Encounter design and pacing in particular are much stronger, so much so that Uncharted 3 actually feels like a step back in both respects. Keep playing.
Agree with all of this.

Well all but that UC3 part.

hamchan

Saying that though, I personally believe no linear blockbuster has matched the Uncharted games yet in terms of quality.

dralla

jeep/jet-ski sequences.

UC1 has not aged well. It was a good game back at release, but even back then it was nothing special. I'd jump ahead to 2 if you're not feeling it. Also, I feel like playing the games on Hard makes the games more enjoyable as ND games tend to be a little on the easy side.

superjona

I'm having a really hard time playing through the first game in Crushing. Completed the game on PS3 years ago on Normal, and I figured I might as well grab the Platinum on my first playtrough...

Loudninja

Camera, movement and aim: In order to unify all three games, we adjusted the speed of camera movement, the stickiness of aim assist, and how the camera handled diagonal movement in Uncharted 3 and rebuilt the aim assist in Drake’s Fortune.
Controller layout: We remapped buttons to ensure players did not have to switch between different control schemes with each game. We also tweaked some of the controller layout decisions based on player’s familiarity with The Last of Us Remastered.
Uncharted Drake’s Fortune grenade gameplay: We’ve brought the grenade gameplay in Drake’s Fortune in line with the other two games. Players no longer need to equip a grenade to throw one and can also throw grenades in various ways while hanging or while in cover.
Languages: All three games now support 22 languages!
Music enhancements: Music was upgraded across all three games to support surround sound systems for a better overall audio experience.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015...id=652514464604880896&adbpl=tw&adbpr=36969785

Anung

Un Rama
I just finished UC3 and ehhhhhhhh I still don't like it. Looked amazing and the enemies not being bullet sponges certainly made it a more enjoyable experience but UC3 has always felt like UC 2.5 but less good to me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
"Remake" applied to games the way it's been used for years in the film industry should mean a completely new game made from the ground up that does everything the original did but isn't built on top of the same source code of the originals. Think Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty!. Most of what we've been getting are remasters, most correctly named as such (even the bad ones because lord knows there have been bad movie remasters as well). Gears and Uncharted walk the line between the two terms, but even with all the replacing, resolution boosts, and slight gameplay fixes/additions, being built on the same engine foundations disqualifies either from being called remakes.
Yes, the underlying engine argument does make a lot of sense.

I like 2. They're roller coaster rides with absolutely 0 replay value. Like an over the top action movie, sometimes it's fun to just turn off your brain and watch.

I disagree with the 0 replay value. Just like over the top action movies, I sometime like to go back and watch them again. Not sure I could tell you how many times I've seen the Indiana Jones moves, The rock, Con Air, Armageddon, Independence Day, etc.

Mostly everyone I know who likes the Uncharted Franchise play these game multiple times.

Anung

Un Rama
Why is he not trying something else, like waiting a few seconds so that the enemies have moved? He just runs forward so the exact same scenario happens every time.

That is a fixed bit. You have to go through there and get hit by a few bullets as a part of the transition. But obviously 2-3 bullets on Brutal are insta-death meaning he can't actually do anything.

MAX PAYMENT

I disagree with the 0 replay value. Just like over the top action movies, I sometime like to go back and watch them again. Not sure I could tell you how many times I've seen the Indiana Jones moves, The rock, Con Air, Armageddon, Independence Day, etc.

Mostly everyone I know who likes the Uncharted Franchise play these game multiple times.

Your thoughts are in line with mine. This isn't a game to spend weeks on. You blow through it and maybe come back a couple months later. It's not a game like mgsv or skyrim where you can tinker for a long time.

v0mitg0d

Just in case anyone is on the fence or just plain excited for the release, I streamed about an hour of the game--playing all 3 games--with fellow GAFers and we had a blast. The video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVAdRoZmewk

In addition, my thoughts are:

I've played through Drake Fortune Remastered (1) & Among Thieves Remastered (2). I'm currently nearing the end of Drake's Deception Remastered (3). If you've never played the Uncharted games, love third person action adventure and own a PS4--get this! It's fantastic. This is how remasters should be done. Technical (1080P/60hz) & quality of life improvements (load times, etc) without changing the base game.

This Drake's Fortune is the most jarring for me. Even Remastered it doesn't look as good as I recall, but it's still a damn fun game to play through. Also, keep in mind it's a first generation PS3 game that was released in 2007!

Among Thieves is fantastic, and as it was back in 2009--it's incredibly impressive ti play right after playing fist game. It's fun, frantic, wonderfully paced, hilarious when it want's to be, and still the best in the series.

Drake's Deception is, of course, the best looking and the most technically impressive. In fact, at times I think it's better looking than some current generation games. Revisiting it now, it's actually more fun and engaging than I remember. It does go on for too long in some cases (hallucination section) but the shooting is also the best in the series.

If you're a returning player like me and have the itch to return to the series--I say go for it. It's a blast to play through all 3 games again and it looks amazing! I do wish they would've included a 30hz option much like The Last of Us had, particularly since Uncharted 4 is going to running at 30hz as well.

Also,before the day one patch (1.01) the game never crashed on me once, I never lost progress, or experienced corruption. The only bugs were little animation or minor collision bugs (pre-patch)

Anyway, hope this helps!

Fixed the video by trimming a few things.

Top Bottom