• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

Withnail

Pretty impressed with U:DF so far. 60fps feels damn good. The gameplay has definitely aged a bit but I still enjoy the characters and the seamless flow from scene to scene that makes it hard to put down. Bringing back memories of how great it was playing it for the first time in 2007.

Philippo

This river section with the water scooter in UC1 is by far the worst thing i have ever played.
Having to pilot a thing that doesn't responds well, in a river with out of this world physics, while you have to shoot at barrels coming at you and enemies attacking? Really?
For fucks sake who the hell greenlighted this convulted, uncontrollable piece of shit?

psychotron

I preordered the original Uncharted after reading a few magazine previews. Nobody had it on their radar at all. The GameStop I got it from said I was the only preorder, lol. I fucking loved it, and it was jaw dropping to look at. Can't wait to revisit tonight.

This river section with the water scooter in UC1 is by far the worst thing i have ever played.
Having to pilot a thing that doesn't responds well, in a river with out of this world physics, while you have to shoot at barrels coming at you and enemies attacking? Really?
For fucks sake who the hell greenlighted this convulted, uncontrollable piece of shit?

this is why uncharted 1 crushing was the hardest

UC1 on Crushing is unfair. Honestly no two ways about it. I didn't play the PS3 version on Crushing but I dis for 2 and 3. 1 is so so unfair and the level design doesn't accomodate you. These asshole enemies always ambush and then you're fucked.

I'll slog through it, but it's veru frustrating.

Goddamn, only 15-20 minutes into UC1 and the improvements are immediate. The lighting, the character models, geometry... good lord. It makes replaying it and seeing all the cutscenes again like a brand new experience.

And I can definitely tell the aiming/shooting is UC2. It's perfect. (Aside from the way Drake points/angles his gun but whatever).

Yeah, even after watching comparison videos, I was way more impressed seeing it on my screen, they did an amazing jump upgrading it.

Revven

If you're doing the one where you're going upstream, just blindfire with Elena. She autoaims on them and kills them as you drive by. I think she even autoaims at the barrels, so you don't even have to stop to shoot them, she'll blindfire them away iirc.

Course it's been awhile so I could be wrong on the latter.

schaft0620

Not that much related to this but, I wasn't sure where to post this, something I found today seemed funny to me. This comes from an interview link is dead because its from DS.

Then there was a transition from the period in which everyone at the studio had been hired for their ability to do cartoony and stylized gaames, to one in which they needed to do something more realistic. A lot of new people were hired, and they were new to how Naughty Dog worked.

You think ND is working on Crash on the side?

Magnus

I've played and loved UC2 to completion back on the PS3, and 80% of UC3 (and dug it). Haven't played UC1.

Where do I start tonight? I'm not sure I can stop myself from going right to 2. The roughness of 1 might be a big turn off.

leng jai

I'm a bit disappointed to say that UC1 really feels like a slog to get through these days. The gunplay and shooting segments just feel so stale. There's far too much of it and not enough set pieces to mix things up. I've literally turned the game off to do something else after every section where it was more than 30 minutes of Drake by himself just wading through hordes of goons. All the weapons sound incredibly weak and just have no satisfaction attached to them anymore. In a roundabout way all the graphical upgrades have almost exacerbated all the other flaws in the game that remained untouched.

The good news is that the voice acting and banter still hold up incredibly well, and the it probably has the best sense of adventure in the entire series. The graphics are fantastic for an 8 year old game and obviously 60fps makes everything feel fluid. Can't fault the remaster at all really.

Revven

I've played and loved UC2 to completion back on the PS3, and 80% of UC3 (and dug it). Haven't played UC1.

Where do I start tonight? I'm not sure I can stop myself from going right to 2. The roughness of 1 might be a big turn off.

1 honestly doesn't feel that rough at all with the fixed aiming/shooting. It's only going to be rough in terms of pacing because it doesn't have a great balance of shooting/platforming/puzzles. If you don't mind a lot of shoot arenas, UC1 really isn't that rough. It's a treat, if anything.

The only other roughness UC1 has is in its animations and general movement but it's reallyyy not that bad. Then again, I've played UC1 numerous times so... I might just be used to it from way back. :p

I'm a bit disappointed to say that UC1 really feels like a slog to get through these days.

While I am still enjoying it, I kind of know what you mean. It's made worse for me because UC1 is the game that needed the most work in terms of upgrades, but there's so many encounters in this game I'd forgotten about, and with good reason. I don't think it's a bad game, but it feels like the first game in a franchise and knowing what came next was such a massive improvement, it definitely highlights the flaws a lot more.

antitrop

Eight years did a good job of repressing the awful memory of doing that room at the end of Uncharted 1 with the roman numeraled tiles. It wasn't any better the second time.

Was having a lot of fun with Uncharted 1 but then at Chapter 5, shortly after entering the fortress my game crashed and I got the "corrupted save" error. Do I really have to start it all over again? :(

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Eight years did a good job of repressing the awful memory of doing that room at the end of Uncharted 1 with the roman numeraled tiles. It wasn't any better the second time.

The one area that legit pissed me off.

I forgot how much I enjoy these games, this collection is gold.

12095219_461941757322227_6419895815545374965_o.jpg

11219564_461940820655654_4315319843009223908_o.jpg

antitrop

The one thing that this remaster has shown is just how much better the gunplay was in TLOU compared to Uncharted.
Big time, yeah.

I expect Uncharted 4 to have better gunplay than The Last of Us, though. Naughty Dog really learns from their prior work. I've liked what I've seen in the E3 demo, but I guess I'll have to wait for the Beta to see how it actually feels.

Finally back from Best Buy with my copy (also grabbed Driveclub and Dark Souls II Scholar of the First Sin....being a new PS4 owner is fun!).

Man, having this and The Last of Us AND Uncharted 4 on one console is....quite wonderful. PS4 is turning into a Naughty Dog fan's dream.

zsynqx

Big time, yeah.

I expect Uncharted 4 to have better gunplay than The Last of Us, though. Naughty Dog really learns from their prior work. I've liked what I've seen in the E3 demo, but I guess I'll have to wait for the Beta to see how it actually feels.

https://youtu.be/SFxSz8Yqy9w?t=2064 @34:26

"there are all these techniques we picked up doing the Last of Us that we are able to bring over now..........a lot of stuff in how our guns work, everything down to stuff as mechanical as aiming"

Not that much related to this but, I wasn't sure where to post this, something I found today seemed funny to me. This comes from an interview link is dead because its from DS.

You think ND is working on Crash on the side?

He's talking about their transition from making the Jak & Daxter games to Uncharted.

Egg0

Banned
Playing UC1 for the first time (played 2 and 3 on PS3). Obviously feels rough around the edges compared to the sequels. I'm playing on hard and man these enemies are giant bullet sponges, I feel like I need two headshots to get them down. I just finished the jetski bit and that was bad, at least it was short.

The skyboxes and water look really nice. At times I think this game looks like a current gen game and not a remaster.

antitrop

Playing UC1 for the first time (played 2 and 3 on PS3). Obviously feels rough around the edges compared to the sequels. I'm playing on hard and man these enemies are giant bullet sponges, I feel like I need two headshots to get them down. I just finished the jetski bit and that was bad, at least it was short.

The skyboxes and water look really nice. At times I think this game looks like a current gen game and not a remaster.

You only need one headshot, but the hitboxes aren't perfect and the weak feedback can make it difficult to tell where your shot landed.

Finally back from Best Buy with my copy (also grabbed Driveclub and Dark Souls II Scholar of the First Sin....being a new PS4 owner is fun!).

Man, having this and The Last of Us AND Uncharted 4 on one console is....quite wonderful. PS4 is turning into a Naughty Dog fan's dream.

Damn, that's a pretty impressive line-up you got going. But no BB? I thought that was on sale at Best Buy too.

I've only ever played Uncharted 1. I played for about five hours, but despite really wanting to like it (I loved the platforming segments), I despised how much time was spent in mediocre firefights. It seemed that enemies wouldn't stop spawning.

Does this collection in any way amend that, or is there some kind of super easy mode so I can just plow right through the enemies and enjoy everything else?

I was told to skip Uncharted 1 and go straight to 2, but I'd like to be able to play them all.

leng jai

Big time, yeah.

For sure. Nothing gets me more excited for UC4 then knowing that it's incorporating ND's gunplay refinements and stealth from TLOU.

The most surprising thing for me is that they failed really improve any aspect of the shooting throughout the whole Uncharted trilogy. It was similarly average in UC3, which came out 4 years after the first. It took a new IP with a completely different gameplay philosophy for them to change it.

That platforming puzzle? What is so bad about it?

For me, that was where the game transcended being just a cover shooter and became fun for more than the story.

Bloodborne? Oh yeah, that game.

First PS4 game I purchased : ) Put 50 hours into it over a five day period. I LOVE Bloodborne!

Oh okay. For some reason I misread and thought you just became a PS4 owner. Well, I'm glad you have it out of the way before these titles at least.

The most surprising thing for me is that they failed really improve any aspect of the shooting throughout the whole Uncharted trilogy. It was similarly average in UC3, which came out 4 years after the first. It took a new IP with a completely different gameplay philosophy for them to change it.

I don't know about that. I always felt that the shooting had a pretty large upgrade with 2/3. It just felt a whole lot better and it was part of the reason I enjoyed 2/3 much more then 1. It certainly wasn't the sizable upgrade of TLOU, which really is some of my favorite gunplay, but I felt that there was still an upgrade. I haven't replayed the collection yet but from what I can recall, it was primarily in the department of animations, collision-detection and a whole host of other smaller things that surrounded the actual gun-shooting.

zsynqx

Uncharted 2 was a big improvement over 1 but I do agree. Gunplay in TLOU is just in a different league compared to the first 3 Uncharteds.

Oh okay. For some reason I misread and thought you just became a PS4 owner. Well, I'm glad you have it out of the way before these titles at least.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I've been a PS4 owner for a little over a week. These were my first new purchases since buying the console (went with Bloodborne and The Last of Us when I got the system). There's tons of good stuff for this thing. I definitely picked a good time to grab one.

zsynqx

I'd say this is largely because of what the gunplay means. In TLoU, every bullet is meaningful.

Part of it is that, but the act of aiming is much tighter, enemy hit reactions/ weapon feedback is better, sound is better; just everything about it is better. Even if I had unlimited ammo in TLOU, it would still feel great shooting people :p

Sorry, I should have clarified. I've been a PS4 owner for a little over a week. These were my first new purchases since buying the console (went with Bloodborne and The Last of Us when I got the system). There's tons of good stuff for this thing. I definitely picked a good time to grab one.

Have you played TLOU yet? If not, I personally would definitely recommend waiting on that until you're done with the UC collection. Maybe that was your plan already but if not, I think the collection tremendously benefits from being able to see a developer evolve with each successive title.

Part of it also is that I think TLOU is just so much more mechanically refined then the UC games, that going from UC > TLOU will be far less jarring then the other way around.

If I remember correctly, you can blindfire during that section and the auto aim will go after the barrels.

Revven

Heeeeeyyyyy! Non-Drake skins actually get wet now from when you swim or when you touch water. Nice!

(I unlocked Navarro just now in UC1 so that's how I know lol)

leng jai

I'd say this is largely because of what the gunplay means. In TLoU, every bullet is meaningful.

That is the reason why they changed the gunplay, but it's not the reason it does feel better. For gun sounds are much louder/meatier, the visual kickback fmwhen firing is more pronounced and the way enemies react to being hit is several magnitudes better. If they simply cut and pasted UC's gunplay into TLOU it would have been a terrible game from a gameplay perspective.

Have you played TLOU yet? If not, I personally would definitely recommend waiting on that until you're done with the UC collection. Maybe that was your plan already but if not, I think the collection tremendously benefits from being able to see a developer evolve with each successive title.

Part of it also is that I think TLOU is just so much more mechanically refined then the UC games, that going from UC > TLOU will be far less jarring then the other way around.

Yeah, I played them all on PS3. I am planning on replaying all three Uncharted games before replaying TLoU on PS4 though. It's been awhile since I've played any of these games, so it should be a lot of fun to go through them all chronologically.

Yeah, I played them all on PS3. I am planning on replaying all three Uncharted games before replaying TLoU on PS4 though. It's been awhile since I've played any of these games, so it should be a lot of fun to go through them all chronologically.

Oh okay, cool. Figured I'd give a heads up just in case but it seems you're all set. Enjoy the system.

That reminds me. I had made the mistake of playing Uncharted 1 on PS3 right after I had beaten TLOU (I had bought a PS3 + TLOU bundle). Boy did that color my initial perceptions of UC1 quite heavily. Luckily, perhaps because of the FPS + graphics upgrade, UC1 in the collection feels immediately less dated then it did back then.

That is the reason why they changed the gunplay, but it's not the reason it does feel better. For gun sounds are much louder/meatier, the visual kickback fmwhen firing is more pronounced and the way enemies react to being hit is several magnitudes better. If they simply cut and pasted UC's gunplay into TLOU it would have been a terrible game from a gameplay perspective.

Hmm . . . makes sense to me.

Top Bottom