• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

I swear the bullet sponge thing must come from people thinking they are hitting when they really aren't.

Just beat Uncharted 1. Fun as I remembered it to be, and even moreso with the new additions. The jumping does seem less automated, and that with spaced out checkpoints created for a few headache-y parts.

Didn't have any trouble with the jet ski parts. I just stopped my skis, aimed, and continued on my way.

kyser73

The ease with which I'm getting head shots thanks to the responsiveness and resolution is awesome. I feel totally badass.

JetSki section was a doddle too - move to cover, destroy barrels, mop up bad guys, nice to next section.

Really enjoying DF! Had to leave it last night at exactly 50% completed as am away for the weekend, but I can see the next 2 weeks turning into a Naughty Dog fest - I might even get around to completing TLOU:R & Left Behind!

B-Dex

Somewhat off-topic:

Did anyone else pre-order this digitally through PSN? If so, how long does it take to receive your 10% off discount code?

Just wondering, I pre-ordered this week and was going to try to use it by the end of the month in conjunction with teh spend $100/get $15 promotion

You'll get it on the13th. The offer wording is shitty so I too was confused.

MacBosse

I swear the bullet sponge thing must come from people thinking they are hitting when they really aren't.

Just beat Uncharted 1. Fun as I remembered it to be, and even moreso with the new additions. The jumping does seem less automated, and that with spaced out checkpoints created for a few headache-y parts.

Didn't have any trouble with the jet ski parts. I just stopped my skis, aimed, and continued on my way.

I don't think I've encountered a enemy worthy of the title bullet sponge yet in UC2, they go down rather quick but as I said in my longer post the weapons lack punch and sound to them. Maybe this adds to the feeling of enemies not going down for some people?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
U2 done on Crushing.
Lazarovich
is still a huge pain in the ass. Fatigue is setting in a bit now, so I started U3 on Crushing immediately instead of normal.

PowderedToast

UC2 really kicks into god-tier mode in Nepal, just like I how remember. Pitch perfect pacing, incredibly well designed sandboxes that transition beautifully into one another. It doesn't keep up forever but for about 2 hours the game feels fucking genius

Playing the first 2 back to back shows to me that they're actually mechanically very similar, but the sequel makes some subtles chnages that allows the whole thing click. having the AI enemies only aware of your last known position is the catalyst, it suddenly makes the versatality of drake (one of the series' few unique features) hugely important, and it puts a priority on the players creativity. Nepal is the point where the designers really begin to capitalise on that and it makes for wonderful contained sandbox gameplay

Playing a bit of U2 and i'm thinking that why ND and Bluepoints don't make multiplayer with bots if they don't add real multiplayer. I'm not familiar to game development, is creating AI bots hard?

Trojan

I don't think I've encountered a enemy worthy of the title bullet sponge yet in UC2, they go down rather quick but as I said in my longer post the weapons lack punch and sound to them. Maybe this adds to the feeling of enemies not going down for some people?

Didn't ND say they adjusted the difficulty for the trilogy so enemies can take less damage than the original games? Or are you guys referring to other people complaining about this remastered trilogy?

TripOpt55

Just started this up tonight. Having a lot of fun revisiting one of my favorite series. I am somewhere in Chapter 4 on Drake's Fortune. Looks really good. I am pulling off headshots with ease still. Elena is still awesome. Such a fun adventure.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Finished the first game. This is the second time I've finished it since it launched. I'm into to my personal favorite: Uncharted 2. The water looks much better than before. This series is one that I've enjoyed, but I've rarely replayed any of them. It's on release, then sell it, so it's been great.

I forgot the charm of the dialogue.

You brought a hooker to church?

It makes me wonder how fine tuned Uncharted 4 is gonna be. I also forgot what it was like missing a jump in Drake's Fortune.

kyser73

Do you know what else I'm loving?

Not having to constantly refer to a map, waypoint or other market telling me someplace I need to be.

Mogwai

Do you know what else I'm loving?

Not having to constantly refer to a map, waypoint or other market telling me someplace I need to be.
Don't preach false information. We all love open world games. Open world games best the best video gaming experiences. Climbing towers, collecting your ancestors old shit, listening to old logs from. All fun.

Sincerely,

Yves

RedAssedApe

Banned
They did a great job with U1. Jungle looks good as do the character models. I guess I need to play the other games but the shooting so far hasn't bothered despite some occasional janky cover movement.

The later games obviously kick it up a notch, but one thing I enjoy about this game over U2 and U3 is the cohesive feeling of the environments versus the globe trotting.

As to the comments of above, I agree that this is a nice change of pace coming from Witcher, MGS, and Batman (albeit I enjoyed all of those). Sometimes you just want a good popcorn game and replaying this is hitting the spot nicely . :)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Boy, this is kinda hard to play after nothing but MGSV and Bloodborne all year.

Just remind yourself that you aren't playing Assassin's Creed and the movement isn't the same. This is a Naughty Dog game and not a Ubisoft game. The original has some leg room because without it there wouldn't have been a near perfect sequel.

If it helps. And it might sound bad, but skip the cutscenes and go straight towards the gameplay with the original. I don't recommend doing that with 2 or 3, but the original is a great game. I found the story being better in 2.

And that's if you've finished 1 before. Otherwise just treat it like a classic series. I find that's hard to do when everything is made to feel and look good.

Nothing's wrong with Uncharted 1 beyond the fact that it did come out rather early.

Well Uncharted 1 is my favorite Uncharted, so I'll say one huge con I forgotten. The extremely sticky cover system. It got me killed a lot in the sewer.

Just remind yourself that you aren't playing Assassin's Creed and the movement isn't the same. This is a Naughty Dog game and not a Ubisoft game. The original has some leg room because without it there wouldn't have been a near perfect sequel.

If it helps. And it might sound bad, but skip the cutscenes and go straight towards the gameplay with the original. I don't recommend doing that with 2 or 3, but the original is a great game. I found the story being better in 2.

And that's if you've finished 1 before. Otherwise just treat it like a classic series. I find that's hard to do when everything is made to feel and look good.

Nothing's wrong with Uncharted 1 beyond the fact that it did come out rather early.

The problem with skipping 1's cutscenes is that you miss the only good Uncharted villain, Eddy Raja!

Tahnit

Banned
6 chapters into UC1 for the first time ever and im loving it. Never played the originals on ps3 as i didnt have one. I couldnt imagine playing this at 30 fps!

KyleCross

Does the snow seem different to anyone else in UC2? I seem to recall you leaving trails in it that stay there, whereas here it is just a powder effect that vanishes as you walk. Am I remembering wrong?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The problem with skipping 1's cutscenes is that you miss the only good Uncharted villain, Eddy Raja!

I hated Eddy and his goons, but you're probably right. The second half of the game really gets good. To me it opens up a lot more.

Seeing the
projectors
again made me think of how many times they've been used in games over the years. I could have sworn I've played at least a handful where they've been situated like that. Resistance, Call of Duty, Batman, BioShock, Resident Evil, etc etc. It's a nice touch.

Well you can turn it into a pseudo-MGSV in a way. It might get him use to it until he feels comfortable.

Illucio

Banned
Almost done with Uncharted 1, taking a break for now.

Near the end, those monsters. WHAT A TWIST.

But seriously the backtracking in this game is annoying as hell and I'm having fun when I'm NOT fighting mobs... The climbing is a little bad, I remember playing the beta for Uncharted 3 online multiplayer and loving it for the climbing. So I suppose it improves over time?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Beat UC1 in hard. Easier than I remember .

Still, infuriating crack shot enemies though.

Game is still cozy as fuck.

Love the ending lines.

"Sorry you didn't get your story"

"It's OK, there will be other stories. You still owe me one."

*chuckles* You know I'm good for it.
*cue Uncharted theme*

So good.

I'm having a hard time with drakes fortune. I remember it being tricky for me way back but man. Some of the shooting gallery parts are rough. And that jet ski section going up river -_-

Still love uncharted 1, can't wait to finish it and go back to among thieves then to deception.

I'm slightly worried my friends will lose interest with uncharted 1, they are tough critics. I'm gonna force them to push through because all 3 are games that should be experienced and while uncharted 1 is rough as it is old, still is incredible and it's great to see how much naughty dog improved each time

kyser73

Don't preach false information. We all love open world games. Open world games best the best video gaming experiences. Climbing towers, collecting your ancestors old shit, listening to old logs from. All fun.

Sincerely,

Yves

And don't forget, the latest version of Our Game brings back the fun!

Because that last one? No fun.

The one before? Even less fun.

cyba89

Started Uncharted 2 yesterday. I'm now at the part where
you meet Elena in Nepal
and you guys were not joking when you said U2 is a huge improvement over the first game.

Started Uncharted 2 yesterday. I'm now at the part where
you meet Elena in Nepal
and you guys were not joking when you said U2 is a huge improvement over the first game.

man, i wish i was playing Uncharted 2 for the first time like you. that train sequence tho..

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm 55% into Uncharted 2 and it's definitely better than the first, I guess I don't appreciate any gameplay improvements they made as gameplay is the same across the board in the remaster but the beautiful, varied locations and epic set pieces are what pushes it ahead for me, plus it's definitely longer as I was nearly done with the first game at this point.

I'm about to get ready for the hospital (having an MRI) but when I get back I will be finishing this bad boy for sure.

Platinumed UC1 2 days ago, just finished U2 on Crushing. Trying to get the plat for that today. Then onwards to U3. Lets see how well the aiming goes now on PS4 with smooth frames.

Extremely impressed by this remaster.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm at ch5 now in U3 and I forgot how great the
young Nate
chapters look... Visually that game is still stunning.

zsynqx

Part of it is the shitty hitboxes i think.

My copy arrived from Amazon today (a day late). Put the disc in, downloaded the patch, started the game... "Cannot recognise the disc. Make sure that the disc is not damaged or dirty, and that it is not inserted upside-down."

Fuck. Off.

Auctopus

Quick question...

One of my favourite things in Uncharted 2 was the Bonuses menu that allowed you to select weapons whenever and change character skins. However, this was abandoned in Uncharted 3 (in my opinion) due to the way cutscenes went straight in to gameplay.

Is this still the case or is there a new bonuses menu in UC3?

Quick question...

One of my favourite things in Uncharted 2 was the Bonuses menu that allowed you to select weapons whenever and change character skins. However, this was abandoned in Uncharted 3 (in my opinion) due to the way cutscenes went straight in to gameplay.

Is this still the case or is there a new bonuses menu in UC3?

I'm pretty sure I've read that they've added those options into UC3 to keep consistency with this collection. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm pretty sure I've read that they've added those options into UC3 to keep consistency with this collection. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though...

It's true: weapons and skins are in. I started UC3 yesterday and there were like 81 unlockable skins? Definitely a lot

Loudninja

My copy arrived from Amazon today (a day late). Put the disc in, downloaded the patch, started the game... "Cannot recognise the disc. Make sure that the disc is not damaged or dirty, and that it is not inserted upside-down."

Fuck. Off.
Restart your PS4.

I think that is a bug with the Ps4.

Replicant

*sigh* I had forgotten how annoying and frustrating Uncharted 1 was. It was full of annoying level design that makes the game just not fun. Who actually thought that it was fun to fight against current on a speedboat while having to avoid exploding barrels and fight pinpoint accurate shooters?

On Crushing this is just ridiculous.

JP

65% into Drake's Fortune and I'm absolutely loving.

Played the originals loads of time but was really worried that it would have aged horribly over the years but I'm surprised that I'm enjoying this just as much as I used to.There are occasions where it;s age does show, either through graphics or through gameplay sign that has moved on over the years.

I'm really noticing the quality of the audio in these games, so impressed with what Bluepoint done with it, the audio sounds absolutely massive at times.

Playing through on Normal and finding it a lot easier than i remember it with the only place that I remember really getting stuck on in the original (the arena with the plane in tree) being really simple. Having said that, I'm not sure what difficulty level I struggled on originally.

Getting quit a few of the treasures and I still remember where some of them are.

Going to finish it on Normal and go straight into Among Thieves on Normal and then play through Drake's Deception on the same skill level. Will then return to the games to put some work into getting 100% in all three.

Not that it matters but I was surprised that they went for the same basic trophy icons that the original game had of a single icon for each value. As I said though, not important.
latest
U1_Silver_Trophy.png
latest

So happy with this collection so far and I;m oping to have got a 100% in all three by the time A Thief's End arrives in five months.

Really happy with the collection and really can't wait to get back to the other games.

Top Bottom