• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

Revven

Does beating a game on any difficulty unlock Brutal? I want all the trophies but I don't want to stomach through Crushing and then have to play them on an even harder difficulty afterwards. If you have to beat Crushing to unlock Brutal, fuck it. I finished 2 and 3 on Crushing so I know I can do that, but it's rough.

Gotta beat Crushing. They said as much pre-release.

I don't know how some of you people think Drakes Fortune is better than Among Thieves :p

Personally I found the first pretty average. It was enjoyable but I didn't think it was anything special. Wasn't even excited to play 2 back then but I ended up grabbing it anyway and it blew my mind. It was such a huge improvement over the first game

The first is one of those games where, when you go back to it after 2/3 you learn to appreciate some of the things they did with it. Such as the fact it all takes place in one location (the island) and how you familiarize yourself with it. They use that island really well because you return to certain places a second time later in the game during a different time of day. Then there's the general color of it compared to 2 & 3 which have less color because they take place in more urban areas or places that simply aren't as colorful (barring the locations of the mysterious treasures lol).

So, some people just tend to rate the stuff surrounding UC1 as better than UC2 as they value those parts of the game more than you might. That's how some people can like UC1 better than 2. It might not do anything outright and blatantly amazing but it does things the others don't and you'll only notice if you've replayed it a bunch.

Hostile_18

Banned
If the demo put anyone off I thought the first game seemed far less jarring this morning. Perhaps it was the the fact it was a lot less ambitious.. IDK it just seems to flow far better and not show it's age (I think the lack of Helicopter and exploding buildings helped). Perhaps that level was a poor choice as a representation of the trilogy.

If the demo put anyone off I thought the first game seemed far less jarring this morning. Perhaps it was the the fact it was a lot less ambitious.. IDK it just seems to flow far better and not show it's age (I think the lack of Helicopter and exploding buildings helped). Perhaps that level was a poor choice as a representation of the trilogy.

I think it was a poor level to use. It's a nice flashy set piece level, but it doesn't really work as representative of the game.

I still think the original Drake's Fortune demo would have been a fine choice.

MacBosse

Ok this is my first go at an Uncharted game, I never bought a PS3 so I was left out in the cold but since I have both PS4 and X1 this time around I have my hands on the Uncharted Collection instead!

First off, really nice to get all the games in a complete package like this. Runs like a dream too.

I jumped straight into Among Thieves since my playtime is rather limited and I haven't heard or seen great stuff about the first game in the series. But as we all know Among Thieves has been lauded as the pinnacle of adventure gaming so when I booted the game I was ready to be blown away!

I kinda was. But not REALLY really. The setpieces are well done and the pacing is really great. But damn is the gunplay weak. The encounters are ok I guess but the weapons lack punch both in feel and in impact on enemies. The grenades on the other hand feels great, blowing debris and making a satisfying sound too. It's not a big gripe but it struck me as a weak point.

Another gripe is with the casual feeling Drake and his friends portray. I mean here we are getting hammered by helicopters and god knows what. We brutally kill hundreds of dudes then just seconds later stand in the middle of a war torn street trading fun quirky comments. I guess it's a common entertainment gripe I have in general but it just doesn't feel convincing for me.

I'm up to "chapter" 7 I think and so far the game has been awesome! Really looking forward to booting up Drakes Deception after this. Then I'm ready for number four!

And Chloe. That ass. Sorry but damn.

i pre ordered the collecters edition from game but cant find the nathan drake pack? is it unlocked in game or do i have to have a code? thanks

Revven

wtf
Maybe they didn't get that far in the playtest :D

I was planning on doing a Crushing run of 1, 2 and 3. I did crushing 2 on PS3, never bothered with the others. Did they tweak the difficulties in the remaster? Up or down?

They didn't touch difficulties at all other than a base line damage tweak for enemies (as in how much damage certain weapons do to them, generally so the enemies die possibly a little earlier).

Speaking of that, someone really should do a comparison of weapon damage between the original versions and the remastered ones. I want to know how much they actually tweaked them and what weapons they tweaked, specifically.

Ok this is my first go at an Uncharted game, I never bought a PS3 so I was left out in the cold but since I have both PS4 and X1 this time around I have my hands on the Uncharted Collection instead!

First off, really nice to get all the games in a complete package like this. Runs like a dream too.

I jumped straight into Among Thieves since my playtime is rather limited and I haven't heard or seen great stuff about the first game in the series. But as we all know Among Thieves has been lauded as the pinnacle of adventure gaming so when I booted the game I was ready to be blown away!

I kinda was. But not REALLY really. The setpieces are well done and the pacing is really great. But damn is the gunplay weak. The encounters are ok I guess but the weapons lack punch both in feel and in impact on enemies. The grenades on the other hand feels great, blowing debris and making a satisfying sound too. It's not a big gripe but it struck me as a weak point.

Another gripe is with the casual feeling Drake and his friends portray. I mean here we are getting hammered by helicopters and god knows what. We brutally kill hundreds of dudes then just seconds later stand in the middle of a war torn street trading fun quirky comments. I guess it's a common entertainment gripe I have in general but it just doesn't feel convincing for me.

I'm up to "chapter" 7 I think and so far the game has been awesome! Really looking forward to booting up Drakes Deception after this. Then I'm ready for number four!

Don't play it as a straight up shooter. Hip fire then melee works wonders. More oomph that way. Military shooter, this is not.

As for the quips, it's a pulpy adventure romp. Like Indiana Jones and everything that inspired that.

Alternatives are:
-Everyone is super serious all the time.
-Zombies, robots or aliens only.
-Good guys don't use weapons like some of our childhood cartoons.

Shin-Ra

Looks like it needs patching ~_~ but playing through that UDF final chapter checkpoint without dying and restarting there, the AI might react more slowly to give you a chance to get into cover.

bombshell

Remember to take advantage of the movement, verticality and hipfire and not play it entirely from cover.

What happened to you, man? You stopped posting in the U2 OT and then stopped playing MP shortly after it came out as well!

I was in college at the time. Right after Uncharted 2 came out, I dropped out of school, and started a full time job for the field I was going into. Work soaked up all my time. It's hilarious that I put so much time into the betas, but after a few weeks of the actual game coming out, I was nowhere to be found. Making that big OT probably burnt me out as well even though it was still really enjoyable to make.

I never even really played U3's MP. Didn't even play the game until 6 months after it released. That's not going to happen with Uncharted 4.

Alo0oy

Banned
Were the AI godlike in Uncharted 1? They aren't terrible or anything and they never really glitch out, but what do you believe made them godlike?

On crushing, their behavior is far more dynamic than any ND game since, or any shooter really. They have self-preservation, they adapt to your tactics, if you're hammering at them while they're behind cover, you'd see them crawl on the floor & try to shoot you, they'll flank you while you're focusing on other targets, if you peak from cover waiting for them to leave their cover, they'll either try & flank you from the other side stealthily, or they'll quickly get out of cover and headshot you, just like you would in that situation.

There are many other moments in that game on crushing that makes you think "why isn't the AI in other shooters like this?", the answer is that a lot of people don't find enemy AI that is as smart as the player fun.

A lot of people didn't stop to appreciate the AI in that game at the time because of the weak gunplay & awkward controls.

Manac0r

So hype, it's been long enough that I know I'm gonna get those goosebumps.... Plus remote play means the fun don't stop! And held out on U3 as knew it would hit HD one day...

Just got my copy. I went to Best Buy and funny thing. They had the Uncharted collection PS4 bundle, but no separate Uncharted Collection...

I had to drive to Gamestop after checking the Target nearby which didn't have it as well. What a pain.

Oh well, eating before I dive in.

robotrock

Banned
Man, they did a brilliant job with Drake's Fortune.

The last time I tried to replay that game was right after UC2 came out and it felt like garbage after that game

Thanks for the nice thread and putting all the info together. You did a great job. ^.^

I just picked this game up and it looks gorgeous. Really looking forward to playing all these games in the collection. Maybe I'll be finished before Uncharted 4 comes out, but I'm going to take my time with these and play other games in between (least that's the plan).

alexbull_uk

Really enjoying going through UC1 again. Even though essentially every aspect was improved in UC2 and UC3, it still remains my favourite of the series by a small margin.

Looking forward to doing them all again, which is not something I'd say about many game series.

Just picked up my copy hell yes. It's funny I'm most excited for 1 and 3 since I beat 2 like 10 times lol. I'm going through all 3 in order though.

Late Flag

lol @ that brutal video. I remember having some trouble with that section on crushing and having to replay the collapsing boxes over and over. No way am I doing that on brutal. The platinum is enough.

Just start playing UC1 again i forget how much i like these games .
Don't really care much about trophies so i am just going to play at my own pace.

I would probably hate Uncharted if I had to play through it on brutal if that video is any indication. Holy hell. Think I'll try to aim for a platinum this time around.

Darknight

Those who beat U1-3 on all modes incl Crushing...should I all start on Normal just to beat them and then go to crushing for the Plat later?

I like to play the games through the first time normal and then once I know every scene, replay on Crushing but Im not sure I want to jump in on Crushing 1st play though after like 5 years, you know?

Those who beat U1-3 on all modes incl Crushing...should I all start on Normal just to beat them and then go to crushing for the Plat later?

I like to play the games through the first time normal and then once I know every scene, replay on Crushing but Im not sure I want to jump in on Crushing 1st play though after like 5 years, you know?

Why not try hard? Normal is so easy in Uncharted.

autoduelist

EdiT -- start with hard.

I beat all 3 on crushing for the plats, but I don't remember... can you toss a grenade before that cutscene starts? I feel like there was a way to slightly disrupt them or something. Maybe I'm wrong. But yeah, there are a few areas I'm either not looking forward to or looking forward to getting past, depending on how you look at it.

But... I don't know if I can resist the siren's call to beat all three on brutal.

Great OT.

I was supposed to get a call from Gamestop when my copy of the special edition arrived. I'm going there tomorrow to hopefully pick it up.

Kvik

I have a bone to pick with whoever designed the steelbook for this collection. Why does they seem deem it necessary to put the PS4 logo on the top left corner? We already know it's for PS4 since the cardboard box itself has the logo:

20257815281_b8e1cab9d2_z.jpg

They're ruining a perfectly good steelbook. They did this for Bloodborne special editon as well, smh.

By the eternal fire, thankfully the MGSV steelbook with Shinkawa-sensei's artwork has no logo, so they have the right idea.

Hopefully Uncharted 4 special edition would not have the PS4 logo on the case like these two. Although I'll still end up buying a copy, I'l probably grumble all the way to Amazon checkout.

Plasma

Banned
Finished 2 now as well, still up there as one of the greatest games ever made for me. Onto 3 now which I'm looking forward to, I've only finished it once and that was when it launched with the aiming and shooting feeling off. Hopefully they've made some tweaks to fix that and it plays more like 2 now.

Revven

Goddamn, only 15-20 minutes into UC1 and the improvements are immediate. The lighting, the character models, geometry... good lord. It makes replaying it and seeing all the cutscenes again like a brand new experience.

And I can definitely tell the aiming/shooting is UC2. It's perfect. (Aside from the way Drake points/angles his gun but whatever).

Top Bottom