• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

Have you played them before? Because although the stories are sort of self-contained the development of the character relationships is an important part of the series(to me at least...).

Yes I played them before. I don't like the ending in 3, it feels so rushed, I don't want to end on a bad note (and overall UC2 is a better game IMO).

leng jai

65% into Drake's Fortune and I'm absolutely loving.

Played the originals loads of time but was really worried that it would have aged horribly over the years but I'm surprised that I'm enjoying this just as much as I used to.There are occasions where it;s age does show, either through graphics or through gameplay sign that has moved on over the years.

I'm really noticing the quality of the audio in these games, so impressed with what Bluepoint done with it, the audio sounds absolutely massive at times.

Playing through on Normal and finding it a lot easier than i remember it with the only place that I remember really getting stuck on in the original (the arena with the plane in tree) being really simple. Having said that, I'm not sure what difficulty level I struggled on originally.

Getting quit a few of the treasures and I still remember where some of them are.

Going to finish it on Normal and go straight into Among Thieves on Normal and then play through Drake's Deception on the same skill level. Will then return to the games to put some work into getting 100% in all three.

Not that it matters but I was surprised that they went for the same basic trophy icons that the original game had of a single icon for each value. As I said though, not important.
latest
U1_Silver_Trophy.png
latest

So happy with this collection so far and I;m oping to have got a 100% in all three by the time A Thief's End arrives in five months.

Really happy with the collection and really can't wait to get back to the other games.

I doubt they changed much to the audio in this remaster. Maybe the OST is mixed in louder by default perhaps. The Uncharted games always sounded good, even at launch. Bluepoint definitely left the biggest audio issue untouched (gun sounds).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I love the original Drake's Fortune trophy/medal icons... Come on, dat platinum:

1L54495c.png

I was disappointed they changed the icons of 2 and 3 to more generic ones, I love that tacky treasure look.

Like others have said, Uncharted at 60 fps is wonderful. I'm getting headshots pretty consistently. It's awesome.

I really, really wish Uncharted 4 was aiming for this framerate. Oh well.

Plasma

Banned
Started Uncharted 3 this morning and I'm happy to see the shooting/aiming is much improved it makes the game so much better. I'm up to Syria already and I'm starting to think I might have to play through TLOU again once I'm done with this.

Alo0oy

Banned
Quick question...

One of my favourite things in Uncharted 2 was the Bonuses menu that allowed you to select weapons whenever and change character skins. However, this was abandoned in Uncharted 3 (in my opinion) due to the way cutscenes went straight in to gameplay.

Is this still the case or is there a new bonuses menu in UC3?

Those things weren't implemented because Sony rushed the game, it had nothing to do with the cutscenes. Uncharted 3 wasn't "feature complete" like Uncharted 2 was.

Loudninja

Started Uncharted 3 this morning and I'm happy to see the shooting/aiming is much improved it makes the game so much better. I'm up to Syria already and I'm starting to think I might have to play through TLOU again once I'm done with this.
Yeah DF just put up their faceoff.

In the move to PlayStation 4, Bluepoint is given the opportunity to finally put this issue to rest - and we feel it has succeeded: Drake's Deception now offers quick, responsive controls that are a pleasure to use. It's easier than ever to pull off accurate shots and there is never a sense that camera movement is weighed down by unwanted latency. Quite frankly, no game in this collection needed this tweak more than Uncharted 3, and the results here are excellent.

This is coupled with the obligatory boost to frame-rate which, as with the rest of the collection, operates at a stable 60 frames per second for the vast majority of the experience. Dips are limited to a few specific sequences, but average performance is actually even smoother than the remastered Uncharted 2. As this is a late generation Naughty Dog production, we were curious if performance issues similar to The Last of Us Remastered might crop up but in the end, that's not the case at all.

Image quality is also consistent with the rest of the collection. We see full 1080p with excellent post-process anti-aliasing employed, along with variable levels of texture filtering quality, seemingly deployed on a per-surface basis. On PS3, Uncharted 3 utilises a less refined post-process anti-aliasing solution that struggles with long edges and high contrast areas resulting in plenty of shimmering. The implementation on PS4 offers superior coverage with minimal sub-pixel pop from frame-to-frame.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...eception-nathan-drake-collection-ps4-face-off

I'm nearing the end of Drakes Fortune, loving it.

I haven't finished it before - i finished the others but never did with this one. It is so much better with the changes. I can't wait to play 2/3, it'll be interesting to see how U3 feels with the aiming changes.

Shin-Ra

The first Uncharted has too many enemies per encounter. The pacing has always felt off to me. Uncharted 2 is waaaaay better in this regard.
I don't think Uncharted 2's any different in this regard. There's even a fight near the end where infinite enemies spawn if you don't move forward enough.

Drake's Fortune had more situations where new waves of enemies would drop in behind you without giving you a chance to react. Only really an issue on Hard and Crushing and your first play through though.

Got a fair bit in to UDF. As charming and adventurous as ever. Graphically it holds up surprisingly well. Some of the textures are great. Only negative so far really is that I'm finding it a bit easy even on Hard. Maybe I should have attempted Crushing straight away. The amusing thing is that most of my deaths have been from platforming segments. Feel like they've tweaked things a touch to be less automated, unless I'm imaging a difference where there isn't one.

Side note, I think I got a 'follow the leader' Trophy for leading one of the stats compared to those on my friends list. I think it was for getting 12 headshots in a row. Cool that it keeps all these stats.
Drake's Fortune always allowed you to jump the wrong way more, even from handholds.

Well Uncharted 1 is my favorite Uncharted, so I'll say one huge con I forgotten. The extremely sticky cover system. It got me killed a lot in the sewer.
For me it's more the way if you roll into cover, there's a bit of a delay before hitting circle again makes you stick into cover.

Uncharted 2's more responsive and has better context-sensitive animations for sticking into cover when you're a bit further away.

JP

I doubt they changed much to the audio in this remaster. Maybe the OST is mixed in louder by default perhaps. The Uncharted games always sounded good, even at launch. Bluepoint definitely left the biggest audio issue untouched (gun sounds).
The music in the collection is in a new 5.1 mix, it's a far fuller sound than it was originally.

Loudninja

Music Enhancements – Music was upgraded across all three games to support surround sound systems for a better overall audio experience.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015...nathan-drake-collection-now-available-on-ps4/

Jawmuncher

How does Uncharted 4 beta access work with the console bundle? Is there another code for it? Does it just get added to your library later? Or do you just not get it?

UC1 feels way jankier than I remember but the setting is still super comfy, it's like coming back home. Sometimes there's one wave of bad guys too many in a given location, and it really sucks when guys spawn behind you without warning, but for the most part they had the formula nailed right away. I still think only UC2 and 3 has topped this game when it comes to breezy linear action adventure. And I tend to get restless watching cutscenes even the first time I go through a game, but here I'm sitting through all of them for probably the 4th time and still enjoying them. ND have no peer in that regard, no other games in this genre come close.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I thought the update allows for photomode is all areas, obviously not in cutscenes as those are still FMV.

How does Uncharted 4 beta access work with the console bundle? Is there another code for it? Does it just get added to your library later? Or do you just not get it?
Is it digital? There's no code for the beta, you access it from the section under it on the menu based on the leaflet.

So where are the uncharted noob impressions? Curious to see how newcomers feel about Sony's best franchise.

Only played GA so i think i'm newcomer too?
U1 is...ok, not bad but not thing special. It's a standard TPS.
U2 is fucking awesome. Gunplay, environment, platform are well designed.
I will finish U2 tonight and jump into U3 immediately :)

1 got a bit better towards the end, or maybe I got more into Uncharted as I got further. In any case I'm playing 2 now and I like how it feels more refined. Let's see where it goes from here.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
1 got a bit better towards the end, or maybe I got more into Uncharted as I got further. In any case I'm playing 2 now and I like how it feels more refined. Let's see where it goes from here.

Agree with this, the last 30% or so was definitely the best.

Was playing Uncharted 1 for about 4 hours yesterday. Game can be pretty difficult on hard, don't know what I was thinking playing this on crushing all those years ago :lol

Can't imagine how bad CBrutal is on that damn jet ski part.

Loving playing this though, brings back so many memories and it's amazing to me how sometimes I just know there are hidden trophies still in parts despite not seeing them for literally years.

Only played GA so i think i'm newcomer too?
U1 is...ok, not bad but not thing special. It's a standard FPS.
U2 is fucking awesome. Gunplay, environment, platform are well designed.
I will finish U2 tonight and jump into U3 immediately :)

FPS mode added? Based bluepoint!
:p

IronLich

It's been far, FAR too long since I played UC1 (2009), that when I started it up, and it told me about the Brutal Combo (Square, Triangle, Square) in the tutorial. x2 ammo drop if successful.

"What the heck? I would have certainly remembered that. Must have been something they added in the remaster". lol THAT is how long it's been. It feels like an entirely different game from 2009. 60FPS definitely gives the game more definition, more color, and I'm replaying it on Hard, as opposed to Normal. I think I'm gonna need that detail.

Hi OT! First time player of Uncharted, essentially the reason I bought a PS4 game wise. Less than 24 hours I've had it and just reached chapter 9 of Uncharted 1, can't say enough.

These games are unreal. How UC2/3 can be better than this I do not know, I adore this so far! The gameplay is ridiculous, I love the climbing and roaming around the areas and the action is just amazing. This is a wonderfully done remaster, and I cannot wait to keep playing them. If you're waiting for a price drop don't even bother, worth every penny. Even worse if you've never played these and own a PS4 what are you doing?

Go. Immediately.

Was playing Uncharted 1 for about 4 hours yesterday. Game can be pretty difficult on hard, don't know what I was thinking playing this on crushing all those years ago :lol

Can't imagine how bad CBrutal is on that damn jet ski part.

Loving playing this though, brings back so many memories and it's amazing to me how sometimes I just know there are hidden trophies still in parts despite not seeing them for literally years.

FPS mode added? Based bluepoint!
:p

bad typo :'(
I mean TPS
That's OK, he has a typo too claiming brutal was available back then...

Oh he fixed it... Kind of =P.

Hi OT! First time player of Uncharted, essentially the reason I bought a PS4 game wise. Less than 24 hours I've had it and just reached chapter 9 of Uncharted 1, can't say enough.

These games are unreal. How UC2/3 can be better than this I do not know, I adore this so far! The gameplay is ridiculous, I love the climbing and roaming around the areas and the action is just amazing. This is a wonderfully done remaster, and I cannot wait to keep playing them. If you're waiting for a price drop don't even bother, worth every penny. Even worse if you've never played these and own a PS4 what are you doing?

Go. Immediately.

I know it's said a thousand times but U2 really is so much more fun than the first game.

You are in for a treat, Sir. Enjoy :)

antitrop

Yeah, I beat it on Hard last night and there were a lot of areas in the back half of the game where I would just die in 1-2 shots anyway and I wondered "Crushing couldn't possibly be much worse than this".

I know it's said a thousand times but U2 really is so much more fun than the first game.

You are in for a treat, Sir. Enjoy :)

I know, my cousin said this to me. I'm like how...how can it be? This is just unbelievable! I played Tomb Raider just before the end of the 360 lifecycle and loved it. A whole other level. I can't even. Words gone!

JP

All PS3 games support 7.1 LPCM. 5.1 sounds like a downgrade if it's true...
No, you're not understanding what has happened.

Being able to output to a certain number of speakers is not the same as having a surround audio mix with individual audio channels. You can pump mono music through all eight speakers but you're still playing mono music.

stryke

I don't recall this happening in the other titles, but playing through Drakes Fortune, it felt like I was always fighting the controls when popping out of cover and now I figured out why. Sometimes there's a drift when I pop out of cover to aim and the reticule doesn't stay in the some place where it was before I popped back into cover. It's late here but I'll try to upload a video to show what I mean later.

No, you're not understanding what has happened.

Being able to output to a certain number of speakers is not the same as having a surround audio mix with individual audio channels. You can pump mono music through all eight speakers but you're still playing mono music.
You said about a "5.1 mix", not a 7.1 one. I understand perfectly fine how surround sound works.

It's weird, because I have a 7.1 home cinema, but my PS4 doesn't output 7.1 LPCM. It's stuck at 5.1 for some reason.

JP

You said about a "5.1 mix", not a 7.1 one. I understand perfectly fine how surround sound works.

It's weird, because I have a 7.1 home cinema, but my PS4 doesn't output 7.1 LPCM. It's stuck at 5.1 for some reason.
I've mentioned the 5.1 mix because I'm playing the game using the 5.1 mix. I'm not playing it with the new 7.1 mix because it's set up in the bedroom and it's only a 5.1 setup there. Due to this, I'm not is a position to state that the new 7.1 mix has improved the audio for me, because it hasn't.

There is a difference between audio output and active channels, you could have it playing through a million speakers but playing mono through a million speakers isn't any less "mono" that it was through a single speaker.

Late Flag

I started U:DF this morning on hard and made it through the gunfight in the airplane crash area. I don't care what anybody says -- I love the gunplay in this franchise. Yes, enemies are bullet-sponges, but that's why headshots are so rewarding. The simple, arcadey shooting mechanics fit the atmosphere of this game perfectly IMO.

Shin-chan

I'm about half way through 2 after beating 1 in three sittings.

2 is just pitch perfect from the moment you get to Nepal. Everything from chapter 5 is paced brilliantly and you transition from location and shootout with a great flow. I hadn't realised how great the soundtrack was before, even though I platinumed it on PS3 - hopefully UC4 can meet this even with a different composer. The way you can combine minor stealth with brawling, gunplay and traversal just makes it really fun and I suspect that many people that don't enjoy the games must sit behind cover and play it like a shooting gallery (or they might just not enjoy them, whatever).

I enjoyed returning to UC1 before it but it's definitely very rough around the edges and has a PS2 error jankiness to it, really. There's a lot of charm and a nice sense of mystery and discovery but mechanically it is very clearly the weakest of the games. Still fun and it can be beaten pretty quickly so I see myself going through it again at some point.

It's pretty amazing how subtle but significant the improvement going from the first to the second game is.

Revven

I started U:DF this morning on hard and made it through the gunfight in the airplane crash area. I don't care what anybody says -- I love the gunplay in this franchise. Yes, enemies are bullet-sponges, but that's why headshots are so rewarding. The simple, arcadey shooting mechanics fit the atmosphere of this game perfectly IMO.

I mean, they're really not bullet sponges when it takes 3-4 shots to down them with a pistol (maybe a little more if they're the fatter-looking enemies) but UC1 also makes it harder to shoot them because they actually duck and dodge, roll to cover, rush you if you're in cover, etc etc. But it really is important to get headshots when there's more than 3-4 guys on screen and it's rewarding no matter what gun you're using (especially rewarding if you're using something like the AK and you're out of pistol ammo).

I agree with you 100%.

Yeah, I beat it on Hard last night and there were a lot of areas in the back half of the game where I would just die in 1-2 shots anyway and I wondered "Crushing couldn't possibly be much worse than this".

Crushing does, oh man, the latter part of the game is just absurdly hard. When I did it way back in like... 2010 I distinctly remember that getting out of cover basically equated to either near death or death. You really have to take risks, too, and play those parts differently than you did on Normal/Hard. Not only that, but it feels really scary to let go of cover you've been so attached to for an area. Like, if something is working so well and there's still two guys left and you need to get out of cover to get them there's still a chance you could die. Power weapons are extremely important so knowing where some hidden ones are before sections is really crucial to beating Crushing.

I cannot imagine Brutal for Chapters 17-20. I just can't.

hamchan

The old UC2 multiplayer tactic of corner shooting works wonders on a lot of the battles in UC1 crushing btw.

A lot of enemies won't even react while you calmly and slowly put the crosshair over their head.

stryke

UC1 also makes it harder to shoot them because they actually duck and dodge, roll to cover, rush you if you're in cover, etc etc.

I had completely forgottent they also go prone. Surprised me when I saw it because it doesn't happen in the sequels.

Revven

The old UC2 multiplayer tactic of corner shooting works wonders on a lot of the battles in UC1 crushing btw.

A lot of enemies won't even react while you calmly and slowly put the crosshair over their head.

Yeah, this too, but it doesn't work all the time due to how the enemies move around and the way some areas are structured. Or how some weapons work (such as the Sniper automatically going into first person zoom). So at times you still need to get out from behind walls to take them out.

Starting off I never played a single uncharted game before, the demo for this collection was my first experience. I beat UC1 on hard in pretty much one sitting yesterday. (I played about an hour the day before when the game unlocked) Even if some of the sections weren't the best to play for me personally I still thought it was really fun to play and the story was really enjoyable, especially the pacing because it felt a lot more jam packed than it actually was, there was almost never any downtime even during the puzzle segments I felt an urgency to go as fast as I could. That and the fact that the game looks really nice in this remaster. I played a bit of UC2 last night I think I left off on chapter 4 or 5 and the improvements are astounding I'm really excited to see how that one goes.

Top Bottom