• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

KyleCross

So, I've experienced several glitches so far, whereas I don't recall any in the PS3 versions. Maybe they happened in the PS3 versions too but I never encountered them?

The first is while playing UC1 I spotted a hole in the enviroment geometry, it's quite noticable which is why I saw it. Another in UC2 in the area where Sully snipes for you I went to melee a guy and when it connected the entire game just freaked out and gave me a death. I recorded this and I'll upload it later, it is reeeaaaaallly odd.

Trouble

Banned
I had forgotten how much I love Drake's little non-cutscene lines.

"That throw's impossible, there's no way you're gonna...oh you got it."

Jesus these games did not age well.

In what respect?

Graphically they look great, as good as the majority of AAA titles that have released on PS4 so far. Gameplay is still fun as hell. Pacing still spot on.

Putty

Not many games age well, these 3 however do especially with what BP have done with them. U1 bring the oldest is obviously the one that shows ....certain limitations but from U2 onwards ...nope...Halfway through U2 and if it released today I wouldn't bat an eye lid.

Even Uncharted 1 graphics still holds up. In the beginning chapters I was still amazed at how well it looks. Not much games had me just staying still looking at the environments.

Uncharted 1 was interesting to go back to, but overall its age and ND's unfamiliarity with shooter design made me put it down about halfway through. The shooting feels weightless, the levels are very awkwardly paced (loooong combat slogs into loooong platforming/backtracking areas, rinse repeat) and there is some truly bizarre stuff like important switches being covered in shadow rather than lit nicely to draw attention to them. The most frustrating parts are the totally bullshit moments where enemies start shooting you as a cutscene ends and you immediately take damage once you get control back. I gave up on Crushing specifically because of the part right after the u-boat that does this.

The writing is also really, really not great in the first game. It just feels like zingers copy-pasted from ND's favorite movies.

I booted up Uncharted 2, and while it's still clearly dated, it's a massive improvement. It's immediately apparent how much better the animation, lighting, environment design, and level layouts got. The writing is also immediately more engaging. I appreciated revisiting 1 as a sort of historical document for ND, but 2 and 3 are what I'm here for I think.

Lasty95

About half way through U1 and so far the EG 'review' is ringing true.

It's got character aplenty, but pretty boring as it goes along.

But then this is really all about 2 and 3, so looking forward to getting started.

I think they are still ok but the biggest thing for me is the treasure information, I'm amazed that even by uncharted 3 they couldn't even be bothered to write a simple sentence for each treasure.
Lazy is something you don't really associate with naughty dog but it really stands out when collecting treasure.
When tomb raider and even the vita game make an effort it really looks poor in uncharted 2 and 3. Fingers crossed they fix it for 4 because it seems so lazy to not even write a single thing about each treasure.
Some people might laugh at me for this, I love finding treasure but when all you see is a wonderfully rendered object and nothing else about it you get pulled out of the immersion.
hqdefault.jpg

76B5945816CE80DAA5D0AB9DF11F55C264EFF904

468px-2012-02-06-155322.jpg

Golden_abyss_260.jpg
I'd rather have flat 2d objects with some explanation/history rather than full 3d models with nothing written about them. Drake is supposed to have knowledge about these things yet when he finds 100 of them he has nothing to say or write down...

I've always hated treasures just being gleams with no actual in-game model. Given the Last of Us's collectibles I think they'll finally improve the treasures for the forth game.

Sid

I really don't think these games aged much at all, they're still better than most of the current gen games I've played.

The third game did model them, didn't it?
Probably, I never went for all of the collectibles in the third one so I'd just forgotten. Definitely remember the museum at the beginning having ton of interactive objects at least.

And Uncharted 1 seems just as I remembered it, the pacing problems and repetition were major flaws even when it launched. Of course at the time it was more graphically impressive and the gameplay more fluid than most shooters so these issues weren't as damaging as they are now.

Purchased!

I'm downloading the 3gb initial file now. What does that provide me with?

I trust that Bluepoint would give me a lot to do whilst the rest is downloading.

GrazGamer

I wasn't a fan of 1 back on PS3 but I am loving it and the combat especially, on normal that is. I got the 100 head shots trophy within the first 4-5 levels and I love catching someone as they are moving. Handgun is definitely my weapon of choice. It has that similar tension to shooting accurately that TLOU has and its far for fun than something like COD with the snap to aiming.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I thought uc1 was looking pretty good but damn uc2 looks better than some current gen games in places.

They improved the animation a lot.

Bliddo

I didn't remember UC1 being so punishingly difficult.
Crushing is just not fun at all. Bullet sponges that start twitching like seizing monkeys as soon as you pop out of cover, with perfect aim, shooting nuclear rods.
Chapter 4 was brutal.

Alo0oy

Banned
I've been watching a lot of streams of Uncharted, and do people really not know that you can blind fire from cover & hipfire in this game? No wonder a lot of people think the Uncharted games are shooting galleries. I haven't seen a single streamer use either blindfire or hipfire.

Also, I don't think anyone knows about the trick where you blindfire from cover while adjusting the reticule & then popping up from cover having the reticule exactly where you want it.

JP

On of the things that I'm liking about the first game is these sort of hubs that you play in, there are a few areas that you go to where you cross that central area two or three times and everything you're doing is linked to that area.

Maybe you're on the ground floor when you start but ten minutes later after a bit of an excursion to do something you're back there but maybe on a different floor and it plays completely differently to how it played the first time you were there.

Chapter 6:
An example of this is The Tower area where, although it's linear, you have four or five things to do and they unlock in the central area as you play through it and it eventually get's you to the next area.
I miss that type of thing in the other games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
On of the things that I'm liking about the first game is these sort of hubs that you play in, there are a few areas that you go to where you cross that central area two or three times and everything you're doing is linked to that area.

Maybe you're on the ground floor when you start but ten minutes later after a bit of an excursion to do something you're back there but maybe on a different floor and it plays completely differently to how it played the first time you were there.

Chapter 6:
An example of this is The Tower area where, although it's linear, you have four or five things to do and they unlock in the central area as you play through it and it eventually get's you to the next area.
I miss that type of thing in the other games.

..and then you see a glint from an object you missed in the area below as you pass overhead, but it's too late to go back ;)

hamchan

Chapter 22 in UC2 now.

Yep, playing this remaster has confirmed my thoughts about no other blockbuster action game surpassing this one yet. It's pretty much near perfect with its pacing and set pieces it places you in. It's like Mad Max Fury Road levels of well done pacing.

PaulloDEC

Just finished up "Drake's Fortune" earlier tonight. Only took me 5 hours 30 mins on normal, which while a little surprising actually felt just right.

You'd never mistake it for a current-gen game, but it's still great-looking, especially at 60fps.

adapipika

Banned
I didn't remember UC1 being so punishingly difficult.
Crushing is just not fun at all. Bullet sponges that start twitching like seizing monkeys as soon as you pop out of cover, with perfect aim, shooting nuclear rods.
Chapter 4 was brutal.

Same here, managed to pass through Chapters 1-2-3 or was it 1-2 then had to lover to normal....

will try again in future.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Money's real tight for me lately, but I'll definitely pick this up prior to UC4's launch, hopefully for cheaper. Really looking forward to it.

Shin-Ra

Uncharted 3 does model the treasures in-world and they flash more quickly so they're harder to miss. Always annoying when you find the secret spot but still miss a treasure because it flashed at the moment you're weren't looking, in the first two games.

Curufinwe

Uncharted 1 was interesting to go back to, but overall its age and ND's unfamiliarity with shooter design made me put it down about halfway through. The shooting feels weightless, the levels are very awkwardly paced (loooong combat slogs into loooong platforming/backtracking areas, rinse repeat) and there is some truly bizarre stuff like important switches being covered in shadow rather than lit nicely to draw attention to them. The most frustrating parts are the totally bullshit moments where enemies start shooting you as a cutscene ends and you immediately take damage once you get control back. I gave up on Crushing specifically because of the part right after the u-boat that does this.

Crushing is not really fun. I played UC1 on Hard on PS3 and didn't find it frustrating at all.

dealer-

I'd forgot how dumb the enemy ai is in Uncharted 3 compared to the first two games. Something about the aiming doesn't feel as good in the Remaster either, plus headshots don't seem to register as well.

On the whole, I've been blown away by this collection, Uncharted 2 was already one of my favourite games but 60fps and improved controls take it to the next level. As close to a 10/10 as you're going to get with perfect pacing and great set pieces.

Sirenty

Finished U1 on crushing last night and I actually thought it was much easier than I remember on the PS3. I think the frame rate, resolution, and new controls helped a lot, but I may be a better player than I was in 2009 when I first played it. The only time I died is when I got too greedy and stayed out of cover too long trying to take someone down. Never really thought it was unfair, but I remembered where most of the waves and spawn behinds were, so I was constantly moving forward.

Run and gun seems to be much better too. I actually got ahead of the spawns in the spawn arenas during chapters 16-18 by only hip firing and never got touched (and got the trophy.) It's like constant head shots.

On to U2 crushing!

Playing through UC1's demo area (just after parachuting onto the island), I feel like I'm getting a sense of what UC4 will look like. It has to do with the locale and lighting being similar to the initial area of that PSX demo.

Loving replaying these even if for the nth time.

Oneself

Playing through UC1's demo area (just after parachuting onto the island), I feel like I'm getting a sense of what UC4 will look like. It has to do with the locale and lighting being similar to the initial area of that PSX demo.

Loving replaying these even if for the nth time.
Definitely, got that feeling too. It's pretty much the same area, the forest, rocks, cavern, the dark kind of scarecrows... In fact, I didn't remember how "dark" some parts of UC1 were.

nib95

Banned
I'd forgot how dumb the enemy ai is in Uncharted 3 compared to the first two games. Something about the aiming doesn't feel as good in the Remaster either, plus headshots don't seem to register as well.

On the whole, I've been blown away by this collection, Uncharted 2 was already one of my favourite games but 60fps and improved controls take it to the next level. As close to a 10/10 as you're going to get with perfect pacing and great set pieces.

I've actually analysed and experimented with the whole headshots thing a bit to gauge how detection works (hence why my hit percentage is quite low right now), and I think the reason a lot of people think this, is because of a combination of things which I feel are actually good gameplay additions.

Firstly, if the first bullet, or first few bullets in a burst don't hit the head of an enemy, you have considerably less chance getting one after, simply because there is a fair amount of recoil and spread to weapons. Even if you shoot in bursts, there seems to be an element of timing involved, a specific pause, before getting the aim back to a pre-recoil state. Because of that, random spray and pray, or gung ho aiming is definitely far less effective than a methodical and patient approach.

Enemies also seem to have lots of movement and animations that try to prevent headshots, Eg, quick dashes left and right, shooting whilst running or moving, ducking and diving, flicking their heads out the way etc.

Top Bottom