• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

Up to chapter 16 of UC1 now...that's 2-16 in less than 48 hours. Whoops. Absolutely adoring this, and people say it gets better?

Maaaaaaaaaan c'mon.

spekkeh

Banned
Only played bits and pieces of UC1 back in the day so by and large this is my first real introduction into the series. I'm just playing on easy because I want to get all of the story before Four hits.

Fallout four that is

The first game is incredibly breezy and the (upgraded) visuals hold up great. I'm loving it so far. But is it me or is the gameplay kind of.. loose?

I keep jumping into ravines while I'm struggling with the camera, there seems to be an auto-miss assist and the hand to hand is completely terrible. I'm probably spoiled with all the snap on press a to awesome games in recent years, but that does feel more satisfying. Here's hoping the later installments feel more precise.

hamchan

UC2 finished on crushing again. A pretty chill experience.

Only frustrating part was the last boss because that's just a terrible fight really. In general it's very easy to just quickly pop out of cover, kill a dude with a spray, and go back in. The enemies react well by getting stunlocked when you shoot them. Also any enemy that gets close is destroyed by blindfire shooting. Half the time the grenades the enemy throws are ineffective because they land on the other side of cover. Plus they give you a whole lot of power weapons to kill all those heavily armored enemies. There is no scenario where they just screw you over, they'll always be a weapon you can use to take out the enemy.

Looking forward to UC3 crushing because that'll probably be even easier with the ability to throw back grenades. Though I do remember a few nightmare parts like the ship graveyard that were pretty hard the first way through. Will also take note of how enemies react because I remember being disappointed in 3 after the enemies took shots perfectly in 2.

That isn't fact. Common theory is it's just updated model minus shiny eye syndrome.
It looks very much like UC3 Elena to me. Im not really fussed either way, but if I had to choose I'd of preferred UC2 Elena.
However I assume they're doing it to keep some consistency with UC3 and UC4, so I'm somewhat ok with it.

ClearData

Just had a chance to fire up the game and played a little of Uncharted 1. Man, oh man, when the music started up my heart skipped a beat. This series has some kind of magic effect on me.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
If I remember correctly not so much, I can't remember anything that bad from 3 difficulty wise, but I could be wrong.

Thanks, I will start UC3 later today I think. So far I'd give both UC1 and UC2 8/10, even though UC2 is better, simply because UC1 was fun throughout without any moments that made me want to stop playing. Hoping that UC3 will hit the sweet spot for me.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Loaded up the new audio profile released for the Gold Headset and my god it sounds absolutely incredible. At least in UC1 so far.

Radec

Can't remember if there's a headshot or kill indicator in the ps3 version of the UC2 campaign.

The coop does back theb. Sounds like a ca-ching whenever you headshot someone.

Revven

It looks very much like UC3 Elena to me. Im not really fussed either way, but if I had to choose I'd of preferred UC2 Elena.
However I assume they're doing it to keep some consistency with UC3 and UC4, so I'm somewhat ok with it.

If they wanted to keep consistency, UC1 Elena also would have been changed but she wasn't, her face is the exact same as it was in 2007.

I will be able to say definitively on UC2 Elena when I get to when she appears. I am 90% sure people are just seeing something that isn't there or are remembering UC2 Elena with the glass eyes. Eyes can make a pretty big difference.

If they wanted to keep consistency, UC1 Elena also would have been changed but she wasn't, her face is the exact same as it was in 2007.

I will be able to say definitively on UC2 Elena when I get to when she appears. I am 90% sure people are just seeing something that isn't there or are remembering UC2 Elena with the glass eyes. Eyes can make a pretty big difference.

Honestly, I think one of the biggest things that threw me off of UC3 Elena was the eye-make up. I don't think I'd have noticed the change in polygons alone.

hamchan

I think it is the UC3 Elena in UC2 for this remastering. Elena just keeps getting face surgery in between games. It's probably why she and Drake keep breaking up.

Every single fucking enemy is a fucking bullet sponge, now I remember why I hate playing these fucking games.

Jesus fucking christ. Its so annoying and frustrating.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
they changed default aiming sensitivity, It seems 40% in the collection is equal to 50 % in Uncharted 2 (ps3)

hamchan

Every single fucking enemy is a fucking bullet sponge, now I remember why I hate playing these fucking games.

MGSV enemies are also bullet sponges if you don't headshot them. Looks like between your two choices of games you were screwed either way lol.

MGSV enemies are also bullet sponges if you don't headshot them. Looks like between your two choices of games you were screwed either way lol.

lol.
I don't remember if UC2 and UC3 are as bad with bullet sponges, I was certain they weren't as awful, but I don't know. its the first Uncharted that drives me bonkers every time.

hamchan

lol.
I don't remember if UC2 and UC3 are as bad with bullet sponges, I was certain they weren't as awful, but I don't know. its the first Uncharted that drives me bonkers every time.

In UC1 I'd say use the pistol more than any other weapon. It's 3 body shots to kill someone using it, much less shots than using rifles.

nib95

Banned

Learn to get headshots. At least getting headshots in this game earns an insta kill with 70%+ of the games enemies. Which is unlike several other popular shooters such as Gears, Halo, Battlefront, Destiny etc, where with ordinary weapons even headshots don't lend to one shot kills.

Revven

Advice:

Use. The. Pistol.

Only use the AK if you're out of pistol ammo and if you have to use the AK, burst fire it. Don't spray it (by holding the button down) you'll most likely miss a ton of those bullets which is what gives the illusion that they are bullet sponges. They aren't bullet sponges, you're just missing shots.

Plus, remember, UC1 enemies like to dodge a lot and it's always at a last moment's notice so you have to react accordingly.

Ultimately, if they're living from an entire clip you're playing bad.

Headshots.

Also, on nomal, at least, standard enemies are just like 3 or so body shots.
Playing on Hard, so I don't really know.
Learn to get headshots. At least getting headshots in this game earns an insta kill with 70%+ of the games enemies. Which is unlike several other popular shooters such as Gears, Halo, Battlefront, Destiny etc, where with ordinary weapons even headshots don't lend to one shot kills.

I try to get headshots, i really do. I don't know...I remember on the PS3 ver hating getting headshots, seems like they fixed it..

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The pistol seems to kill way faster than the rifles for some reason, I've also noticed enemies just eat up AK rounds like they're nothing which is definitely a negative in my book.

nib95

Banned
Playing on Hard, so I don't really know.

I try to get headshots, i really do. I don't know...I remember on the PS3 ver hating getting headshots, seems like they fixed it..

I'm also playing on Hard, and tbh, most enemies go down too easily because of headshots. My advice is just be methodical and patient, take your time to aim for the head, and never shoot with longer than quick bursts. If you've sprayed for longer than a second, hold off the second burst until your recoil rebalances. Also, weapons like the AK47 or Uzi are terrible at longer range, so for distance precision shooting, stick with the pistol or more accurate weapons.

Revven

I had no idea, but that's good to know.

Another helpful bit of advice is that you shouldn't sit behind the same piece of cover for too long. Always try to move somewhere else or be on the move when you have the health and/or space to do so. The AI is really aggressive in UC1.

In addition, try to pay attention to what the enemy is doing -- sometimes you can react to their dodge animation and get a clean headshot off of it.

And, also, always look for power weapons. Especially early on in the game I can't stress how useful it is to have at least one power weapon (whether it's a shotgun or the grenade launcher).

Whatever you do don't pick up the Micro pistol (it's an automatic pistol). It's weaker than your default pistol. In fact, early game, anything that's an automatic is worse than your pistol.

The pistol seems to kill way faster than the rifles for some reason, I've also noticed enemies just eat up AK rounds like they're nothing which is definitely a negative in my book.

It's very similar to how Halo 1 and 2 had strong pistols. If they made the pistol weaker than the other weapons then you likely wouldn't use it other than for finishing enemies off. Arenas would certainly be worse or harder to finish if the pistol was weaker than the AK.

Logically, it makes sense because it's not an automatic weapon like the AK. If the AK was stronger, spraying with it would clear areas all too easily.

Nearing the end of Uncharted 1. What a fantastic job Bluepoint did on this remaster. Yes it has some jank still due to its age but by and large it holds up incredibly well. Cant wait to Platinum it and get started on Uncharted 2. UC1 Remaster still looks pretty beautiful at times so I bet UC2 will look amazing

Thanks, I will start UC3 later today I think. So far I'd give both UC1 and UC2 8/10, even though UC2 is better, simply because UC1 was fun throughout without any moments that made me want to stop playing. Hoping that UC3 will hit the sweet spot for me.

The final boss of U2 is a joke to be honest, I remember that well. I played 2/3 closer to launch so I'm probably a bit more generous than you, my only real gripe with Drake's Fortune (the only one I hadn't played) was the climbing which was a bit stupid.

zsynqx

There is still something really off about the combat in Uncharted 3 which shows that the aiming problems weren't the only issue. I really think it is the almost complete lack of hit reaction animations displayed by the enemies which make shooting guys really unsatisfying. Even Uncharted 1 did this better.

Revven

Alright, finally got to see Elena in UC2.

OK so her facial structure is the same as it was originally (which is what the big change was in UC3 besides added makeup) but I think what looks different are the lack of glassy eyes that she had before (which is a good thing) and under some lighting (namely, darker lighting) it looks like she has lipstick but... she doesn't actually? Maybe it's just this one scene in Nepal.

Will play some more but I can see why people are thinking they made her look more like UC3. But... she doesn't actually because if it was literally UC3 Elena you'd see the awkward chin and slimmer cheeks she has.

I definitely think it's this scene but will play some more to be certain.

Edit: OK yeah they added lipstick and some eyeshadow to her face. That's it. Kind of takes away her tomboyish look she had in UC2 which was definitely fine as-is. Oh well... at least her face, itself, is the same as it was and not what it is in UC3.

There is still something really off about the combat in Uncharted 3 which shows that the aiming problems weren't the only issue. I really think it is the almost complete lack of hit reaction animations displayed by the enemies which make shooting guys really unsatisfying. Even Uncharted 1 did this better.

Uncharted 1 is a bit over the top and cartoony. You hit them and they flail all over the place, but it's not too big a deal and it kind of has a more cartoony style they moved away from.

Uncharted 2 strikes a nice balance between good feedback from enemies taking damage but not going overboard.

Uncharted 3 makes them a bit less reactive, more stiff.

This is one of many reasons why Uncharted 2 is the best in the series.

Is there any way to see what treasures I'm missing in U1? And if I turn on cheats can I still get the trophies related to kills with each weapon? I already have the completion trophies after beating the game on crushing so I'm not worried about disabling those trophies with the cheats.

zsynqx

Uncharted 1 is a bit over the top and cartoony. You hit them and they flail all over the place, but it's not too big a deal and it kind of has a more cartoony style they moved away from.

Uncharted 2 strikes a nice balance between good feedback from enemies taking damage but not going overboard.

Uncharted 3 makes them a bit less reactive, more stiff.

This is one of many reasons why Uncharted 2 is the best in the series.

Right, I never really subscribed to the idea of enemies feeling like bullet sponge in the first two games (at least it wasn't as bad as some made out), with the exception of armored guys. However, playing Uncharted 3 again it really feels like enemies are just absorbing bullets despite the fact that they probably go down in a similar amount of shots. I wouldn't be surprised if the launch of UC3 gave the bullet sponge narrative extra credence because it is really noticeable.

Is there any way to see what treasures I'm missing in U1? And if I turn on cheats can I still get the trophies related to kills with each weapon? I already have the completion trophies after beating the game on crushing so I'm not worried about disabling those trophies with the cheats.

Just bring up a list online and comparing yours to it, sadly. And, no, weapons/kills trophies will still unlock. They did in the original games.

kudoboi

i was under the impression that they streamlined all the experiences of the 3 games? if what people saying here is true, then they didnt really do that

IndustryX

Ya just go to chapter select and you can see how many your missing in each chapter.

Top Bottom